Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Decided to start reading this so I caught myself up yesterday.

I'm so glad I did. :allears:

Goddamn, that last panel where Ruri is taking the medicine looks, uhhh, really suggestive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

amigolupus posted:

Oh, whoops, my bad haha. I misread your post as asking why Senku's dad didn't try to commandeer a fishing boat to save his friends.

But yeah, it's kind of weird how they settled down like that instead of trying to go to a hospital or something to figure out if the petrification was reversible.

Honestly, I'm hoping there's a reveal where Senku's dad sealed away a ton of books and a working computer with details about what caused the petrification hidden in a bunker/time capsule somewhere, because he believes Senku will recover and can use the knowledge.

Seems like they were afraid that getting too close to the source of the petrification could have done something to them, so they decided to settle on the exact opposite side of the world.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

"It's okay, doujin writers, they're not blood related! Go nuts!"

Fabricated posted:

So is Senku gonna have to tech up to literally travel across the entire planet to see the source?

That's what I'm thinking, and a low-tech travel arc would fit in perfectly for this manga.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I figured walkie-talkies might be a little bit easier to craft than a goddamn smartphone, but I guess Senku just wants to skip straight to the good stuff.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm picturing roshi's training from dragon ball but with taiju here

Now I'm suspecting the scene in Dragon Ball Super where Krillin and Piccolo help pick vegetables is totally a callback to this.

I should really watch OG Dragon Ball sometime.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I'm happy that I finally managed to get in on (almost) the ground floor of a manga that's shaping up to be *really good*.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Boichi releasing a bit of their pent-up horndogginess in that cover.

That is an extremely unsafe testing environment for that, Senku.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Oh poo poo things are coming together :getin:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Mikl posted:

Okay, I can't be the only one who hears the Zelda do do do doooo sound byte whenever this manga says "(x) acquired!"

That's what I hear when they acquire new technology. This chapter I heard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9jOZR3VOjk

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Scholtz posted:

I just started this series because of it being mentioned in a SuperEyepatchWolf video and I caught up in two days.

Slow start but it is very very good.

Yeah they wisely shifted the protagonist role from Taiju to Senku and the story improved very quickly, especially after introducing the villagers.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Technician! Technomancer!

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

:hellyeah: This manga is so great.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Hahaha holy poo poo I already can't wait for next week

Tsukasa's reaction to finding the buried phone is too perfect.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

One thing that I really love about this series is just how well they're able to weave together silly and serious. One page you've got characters posing dramatically with well-defined faces and expressions, and then on the next they're doing a Tex Avery wild take. And it just works.

Great stuff in this chapter:

Hyouga getting zapped (carries over from last chapter)
Senku + Tsukasa high-five
Yuzuriha reveals the massive pile of shattered statues
The cell phone is fixed and they contact the village
The last few pages setting up the third arc

Also, I didn't realize that upcoming announcement is next week, not this week.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Nice, another anime I actually want to watch! ...Maybe it'll end up on Toonami in 2020?

Jose posted:

Like I know the stone heals anything so long as the body is alive but are they just trusting that it'll resurrect an actual dead person?

I did like the 3 people they got onto their side before the fights shock at just how technologically advanced senku is

Tsukasa's dead in a couple days from sepsis anyway, so right now their only hope for him is to roll the dice on finding and using the petrification to heal him.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Dog Kisser posted:

"I'll only do this if you give me LOTS OF MONEY"
"Here's some worthless paper"
"MUAHAHA I'M RICH"
"You're the only one with money now. Coincidentally, living here in the village with us costs all your money"
"I'M POOR"

Dr. Stone - Disregard Science, Acquire Currency

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

This plan is a serious Hail Mary pass, but Tsukasa would have died in a few days anyway, so he doesn't have anything to lose here.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

This chapter had some amazing facial expressions. I gotta see this animated in a couple years.

Yuzuriha going apeshit is the highlight, but that final page is a strong contender.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

You are already bread

RIP Toriko.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Holy cow, what a great chapter.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Senku created a non-directional beacon! :eng101:

Crain posted:

Maybe this is going to take a cue from a sci fi story I remember hearing about but can’t remember the name of. Basically the crux is “broadcasting your location into space just brings invaders”. So maybe we’re about to find out that either some group has survived (or done what Senku is doing but much earlier) and has decided to cement their technological position by wiping out civilizations that start developing modern tech.

This is the underlying backstory of one of my favorite series, though the reason for the suppression of up-and-coming civilizations goes deeper than just flexing their technological superiority.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Mr. Fowl posted:

WHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHY

is this such a good manga?

All of you need to stop coming up with good thread titles! :argh:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Dragonatrix posted:

Chapter's up and while it's got a bunch of really fun stuff, my favorite part is that the ending matches up with an easy to forget thing from all the way back in chapter 17! :allears:

:holymoley: This is super clever.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

:swoon: MY PRECIOUS LAB :swoon:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Suika is the greatest combo of adorable and badass.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

I like the universal acknowledgment that Ginrou sucks

Even the new girl is clearly aware of his suckitude.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Can Of Worms posted:

This is the moment :itwaspoo: was born for.

This should be converted to a thread tag because it's highly relevant now.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Amazing chapter.

Can Of Worms posted:

New chapter is out.

It's time for Ginrou to shine!

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

This is such a good series. :allears:

I did the math on Senku's counting during the flashback:

675,102,440 seconds = 21.4 years
1,014,599,230 seconds = 32.17 years

Senku's dad spent decades panning for gold and platinum and managed to gather enough to fill a small bottle. Absolutely insane.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Your next line is... "Thanks to you, I've acquired the achievement of the first human to be revived twice!"

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Mulderman posted:

Yeah sureBreak him into pieces! It'll be easier to smuggle his body out!

I LOVE how they get around problems in this series.

It's totally scientific.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

High priest dude is a giant sleazeball and I hope he gets his just desserts :argh:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Critikal weighs in on Dr. Stone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoCfkpjvK5c

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

That was quite a fight. I'm looking forward to seeing the resolution of everything now.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Vengarr posted:

I peed my pants a bit at ”12,800,000 meters. One second.”

drat that was cool.

:same: This is a great set-up for the next part of the story. There's also a lot of clean-up to take place.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I don't like where this thread page is going :yikes:

I'm gonna have :burger: for dinner, sadly not gator!

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Still in the early stages of this arc so this could really go anywhere at this point. I can't tell if these new characters will be set up as antagonists since we can't really tell what their motivations are aside from survival and perhaps science.

Vengarr posted:

He changes the syllables around. So paisen instead of senpai, that kind of thing.

That's a pretty good way of conveying that, actually.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

https://twitter.com/CDCubed/status/1302648071340175361

Also, one thing I noticed going over the trivia stuff...

Does this sound like Stanley? Is the pilot someone else?

What do you bet after swerving us the first time, this pilot actually is a woman, and it'll be revealed when Ryusui's gun knocks off her helmet?

Dude, you called it, nice job.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Looking forward to Xeno eventually getting swept up in Senku's pace and making goofy faces. You know someone's got some good in them when they start facefaulting with the main crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Dr. Xeno funny faces this chapter. He's officially joined the crew.