Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

Hyoga seems like a possibility, since he made the decision to defend Senku and friends in extremis when he could have very easily have sold them up the river much more safely.

Moz never showed any hint of loyalty to the protagonists and was 100% petty and self-motivated in the extreme, so he's probably less likely.

That of course means that Senku is totally going to unfreeze him for Reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Renzuko posted:

So today's episode of the anime got to "humanity's strongest tag team" as the anime chose to call it, tsukasa and senku vs hyoga and uh...I forgot how much of a dick he was. I kinda hope he is too far gone to come back.

Also so far tsukasa is 2/2 on nearly(?) dying while staring up at the stars.

I cant wait for this weekends chapter to slightly advance the plot and hopefully reveal hyoga is properly dead.

I mean Tsukasa was basically murdering random people for a while. He's not exactly a nice guy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

Thoughts on the chapter now that I've properly digested it:
  • Remember when we all thought Inagaki was culling the cast back at the start of this arc? I'm really glad to see everyone get face time and continue to make important contributions, particularly the former villains.
  • Magma!!!
  • Brody's taking this pretty hard on pages 2 and 11.
  • Gosh this typically nonviolent manga has been exceptionally violent for the past four or five chapters. Even knowing that they'll get revived, the sudden spike in violence has really given these chapters a lot of impact and intensity.
  • Joel!!!

Speculation/wondering on what's about to happen:
  • Will the petrification wave make it to South America in time? We know it takes some time to travel the world, we might get some permadeaths :(
  • Chrome's auto-reviver is going to be the next scientific device acquired, but...
  • Why-Man's sending the petrification order at regular intervals. Even if Chrome's auto-revive device works (and he had time to set it up) the Medusa will just activate again the next time the radio wave signal arrives at Joel's watch.
  • How fast will the Medusa run out of juice? Does a single Medusa even have enough power to zap the entire world? The ziggurat at Manaus had millions of Medusae.

I suspect that a single diamond is going to be out of juice with one use of "do a significant chunk of the planet."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Flubby posted:

I still don't get the motivations of these Americans. What is their problem anyway? First contact and they tried to shoot up a bunch of kids. Corn farmers must be murderous assholes. I hope, for once, they decided to leave some villains as stone. They're dangerous for the future of all humanity. At least Tsukasa had some ideals.

My friend have you seen America?

Especially since as we saw in the first chapter this America was frozen with Trump as president.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NowonSA posted:

Access to canned food and "jet across the ocean in a week" tech is going to make their work a lot easier. I'm interested to see how Corn City gets chilled out after they were all trying to kill each other when last we saw them. I hope we get at least a chapter or two just exploring that angle of things, and maybe the occasional check back in with the Xeno science team, and don't just keep the focus on Senku.

They did kind of gloss over how the Corn City crew is getting back there too, I guess presumably they got a Perseus of their own to boat on up there? Maybe there will be another rocket engine boat made after they finished Senku's first?

One thing Dr. Stone tends to stick to is the idea that if you have the workflow and the materials you can pretty easily replicate something so I assume so, yeah.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The thing about Science is that it is basically impossible to have science as a thing without creating weapons either intentionally or unintentionally, especially if you're making a loving space rocket. There a ton of things in the basic concept that can be weaponized fairly easily. Trying to avoid dealing with the fact that the creation of weaponry is an inevitable biproduct of scientific discovery isn't really possible. "Science can also be very dangerous" is also part of the series but the major key is that the dangerous things are a stepping stone on the road to positive things and not their end goal.

At the end of the day trying to pretend something doesn't exist because it could have dangerous consequences just isn't Senku's style because he acknowledges all parts of science as a creative force.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

amigolupus posted:

While I like Ryusui and this backstory about him and Sai, I find it a little uncomfortable how the manga keeps framing his traits of "desires everything" as a good thing with no one to push back on it. Like yeah, Ryusui's drive is useful in getting things done in this stone world but it kind of frames him as The Good Capitalist, if that makes any sense.

The reason they do that is because Ryusei desires everything for everyone and the greedy elements of his character are just there in the service of a joke because it's pretty clear he isn't following up on them. Even a lot of the things he frames about himself are actually for other people. He's ambition towards making things better. I think having him start off with money was a bad idea because it brings to mind Super Capitalist Man (and I think that was how you were supposed to read him in service of a bunch of early jokes) before it became more clear his personality was "I want myself and everyone else to keep pushing forward."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

I honestly think there's nearly zero chance Senku goes. I'm strongly of the opinion that something will come up that forces Senku to stay behind (and probably serve as mission control) and Chrome will go in his place.

It just fits too well with Chrome's character arc for him to be the one to go into space. Mundane rocks from Earth transformed into wondrous technology.

There's plenty of time for Senku to build another rocket and go unpetrify the first team.

I feel sort of the opposite and think that Chrom remaining behind feels more fitting if Senku goes and gets petrified on the moon, because that means Chrom has a chance to be the guy who leads the science forefront and eventually rescues Senku instead.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

I'm okay with this. If the goal isn't to just kind of have a science adventure manga where they sail around rebuilding civilization, I'd rather they just reach a conclusion on a high note.

To be fair that might have been the goal at one point but Stone probably doesn't have the legs to sustain that over "let's just get to the ending." I mean as long as it gets an ending instead of "And then Senko went into space... and we don't know what happened. But never again have we been petrified and we remember his legacy. Someday, someday, we'll go to the moon and discover the cost of our newfound peace..." THE END

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Am I incorrect or didn't Chrom show Senku the ISS in orbit earlier in the manga?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TriffTshngo posted:

I'm... not sure where you guys are getting the "aliens" thing from.

They are a race of symbiotic super-beings who appeared suddenly one day. If they're not aliens then they're time travelers or something similarly ridiculous.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the thing i find most questionable is that apparently their clever plan usually works?????

Judging by what they say they usually run across more advanced civilizations. They get genuinely concerned about humans not waking up and even supergenius Senku takes longer than they expected.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is kind of weird that after all the hype of who to send they don't actually do anything.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

No, Senku's kid will be an angry dumbass who takes after his uncle more than his father. HIs name will be Benku.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vengarr posted:

Well, that was a waste of time.

I wouldn't say a waste of time but it is genuinely kind of weird how it basically changes nothing about the story in any meaningful way except that Senku's dad gets to briefly come back (and we, the audience, don't get to see that so...)