Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Civ like games are one of my favorite genres, but I keep flipping back and forth about whether I like this series or not. Senku is great and when it's just about him educationally building stuff to overcome problems I love it. And the most recent chapter, when he looked at Chrome and realized that even if he fails and Tsukasa wins, humanity has a drive towards discovery and will eventually reconstruct science, that was really nice and way more subtle than I expected.

But Tsukasa just leaves me cold. His plan is cruel and more importantly for a villain, seems pointless and unworkable. Like, I could get behind him as a character if he just outright said he doesn't want technology because in this stone age world he's unstoppable and can do whatever he wants. Instead it's got this philosophical luddite justification, and while I can accept that Tsukasa might really believe it, I just think about how he plans to convinces other people (modern "real" world teenagers) to go along with him, and it just falls apart in my mind. "I want to murder your parents, and by the way we're also never going to have medicine or even wheels to cart things around with." seems like a really hard sell to make to a bunch of children.

Well who knows, once the story actually shows what he's doing with his faction maybe it'll be ok, but right now I'm kind of dreading the shift back to it.

Taiju and Yuzuriha are both pretty generic seeming to me, and pretty uninteresting. I don't dislike them or anything, but they don't stand out in any way.

The story is alot of fun whenever Senku is doing stuff, but not fun when the other main characters have the focus. I have high hopes though! It's very different than anything I've read or seen so far and the title character seems like he's enjoyable enough to support the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

TriffTshngo posted:

Given his strength and total willingness to kill whoever he needs to get his way I would assume he'd either force them to follow him or just kill them if they refuse, as he tried to do with Senku.

I get that he can and probably will force people to go along with his views, but to me that seems at odds with his rationalization for why he's killing techonologists. If Tsukasa is just going to use brute force to impose his will like a Might Makes Right despot, then he doesn't need to justify himself beyond that. But since he did I feel like the story is going to have a sizable chunk of the people in his tribe agreeing with him. Especially if the comic ends up being two (or more) rival societies battling it out in Grand Strategy fashion.

Edit: Anyway it's all speculation and hopefully needless worry on my part. We won't know until the comic gets back to Tsukasa.

Galvanik fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 8, 2017

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I don't want series to ever go back to Tsukasa. Watching Senku just do SCIENCE! is so fun and optimistic.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Why was she wearing that pumpkin again?

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Just handing out antibiotics seems pretty realistic considering most of the doctors I've met :v:

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

That same thing happened to me. Once I left the optometrist with my new glasses I was stunned to see discrete bricks on the building across the street.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I really liked the two brothers reasoning out why they really needed those shiny spears, for wholly practical and legitimate reasons.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

There was a blog I used to read by some chemist called "Things I Won't Work With" where the writer talks about exotic poisonous, cancerous, explosive, or radioactive stuff. Sometimes all at the same time. I thought it was pretty interesting, and this comic reminded me of of the blog. Experimental chemists are a brave bunch.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well Tsukasa is not against science entirely. He just wants to start a new world from fresh. Using only the young. He just does not want Senku to create poo poo like guns and stuff that could threaten him and foil his plan, or else Senkuu will just bring everyone back like he wants to.

For whatever reason the way you phrased it made me remember a Deep Space 9 episode where the villain stranded a bunch of people on a planet with an energy field that prevented technology from working. Somehow.

Her motivation appeared to be primitivism, but it was actually authoritarianism. She wanted people to obey her, and the way she made that happen was removing technology and becoming the sole source of knowledge about how to survive, so the colony had to do what she said.

I wonder if Tsukasa will ultimately turn out the same.

I mean, it's shonen so he'll probably completely straight with his philosophy, but I can't help but think the real reason he hates the modern world is because it prevents him from being the biggest strongest male who all the others have to listen to just because he's so strong.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I want so much for these ancient venerated tales actually be told some day.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

This is perfection.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

The biggest twist of any manga this year it's an actual named disease and not "gentile anime cough"

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Tunicate posted:

It'll be hilarious when they finally check out Tsukasa's village like 500 chapters later, only to find out he died years back, after someone put some poison in his food.

This, but he caught pneumonia instead.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Bad ending.

All this time I've been dreading Tsukasa showing back up and now it's imminent.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

It's happening :negative:

I hoped maybe they'd build a boat and sail off and avoid the conflict.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Wouldn't it depend on if anything important got knicked? I'm under the impression that stomach stabbings are really dangerous even with modern medicine.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Maybe they'll just wait for winter and watch as 90% of the muscle nation starves.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I've been dreading the reintroduction of Tsukasa's nonsense since this comic started and it looks like we're finally here. Man I hope this isn't Azami tier horrible.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Meme Emulator posted:

Whered those come from
The latest viz release of shonen jump. The japanese ones are at the start, US results are at the end.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I really want to know how Tsukasa figured out the ear guy used to work as a sonar operator. If he were on a boat it would have sunk by now, an any equipment near by would have disintergrated. Is he just picking people at random and ending up with super powered minions :confused:

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I can't believe this series actually made me care about Tsukasa.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Well, on the plus side there can't be that much of it left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Ginrou was loving perfection. I love this comic.