Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I liked the storyline with Strex-Corp taking over the town, because the very mundane but destructive act of privatization and corporate takeovers contrasted well with the supernatural stuff that the town is completely comfortable with. Night Vale has no problem with the Illuminati and the Lizard People, but they are defenseless against a multinational company that poses as your friend. Plus, the episode where the show becomes the Desert Bluffs News Bulletin or whatever and Cecil returns to the show theme music partway through was great.

Other than that, I haven't really liked or been interested in any of the major storylines, though I guess half the time they kind of go over my head anyways. Any episode Zack Parsons co-writes is usually pretty good.

I also feel like someone can dislike a podcast without it meaning they're homophobic, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jurgan posted:

Also, just gonna say it, most of the time when people say it's "pandering to (Tumblr) fans," what they're really saying is "why did it have to get so gay?" Maybe that's not what you mean, but you didn't really say what your objection was, so...

The relationship between Cecil and Carlos is indeed part of it, in fact. But I'm seven different varieties of queer myself, so I feel entitled to not like the execution of gay elements, Originally, the joke with Carlos was that (A) Cecil was creepily obsessed with him in a completely one sided way and (B) Carlos was an absent straight man, the kind of normal guy who came to this weird town to investigate weird stuff, and is saving the day offscreen as though he was the protagonist in a series we're not watching. Putting Cecil and Carlos together like they did and the subsequent treatment of Carlos as someone who's pure and innocent and has quirks nearing if not equal to the quirks of others in the town kinda hosed the whole thing up. On a note I'm not sure is related or not, his voice actor makes my skin crawl because he's got the whole "precious cinnamon roll lil teddy bear" vibe that my eyes roll out of their sockets.

It's like, the fandom couldn't take a joke, everything has to be serious and emotionally complex and oh my god Carlos is so cute and etc. CecilxCarlos is just one facet of that. I also really hated Dana, and don't get me started on the absolutely unnecessary deepening of Steve Carlsburg, which was just painful. Hiram was obnoxious the second he got a voice actor and Cecil started to read things in mimicking voices. Tamika Flynn, though introduced after the decline had already started, went from being a funny background badass to giving an actual sincerely meant "awesome" speech that was more embarrassing than anything else. It's like, the show stopped being vague and mysterious and detached to immerse itself in a wacky but heartwarming cast that connects better with the obsessed fandom that cares too much to let things be darkly vague.

I mean, why was there even an evil bad guy arc? Originally, Cecil would casually mention the government killing, brainwashing, and enslaving people, and that was that, but suddenly there's Strex who everyone has to awesomely rally against because they are, maybe, slightly more evil? I've had people say "that's the joke" but it was definitely not played that way. It was totally unironic because the fans are invested in these people, so let's have them fall in love with each other and kick rear end.

TenCentFang fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 13, 2017

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Yeah, your enjoyment of later Nightvale depends on how much you can tolerate fluff. It's legitimate to drop it if the fluffy melodrama doesn't appeal to you, that's what I did :v: The only thing I would recommend is to keep pushing through the Magnus Archives, which is extremely creepy and only gets more so the more you go in. And it doesn't devolve into happy clappy sweet water taffy nonsense.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

TenCentFang posted:

The relationship between Cecil and Carlos is indeed part of it, in fact. But I'm seven different varieties of queer myself, so I feel entitled to not like the execution of gay elements, Originally, the joke with Carlos was that (A) Cecil was creepily obsessed with him in a completely one sided way and (B) Carlos was an absent straight man, the kind of normal guy who came to this weird town to investigate weird stuff, and is saving the day offscreen as though he was the protagonist in a series we're not watching. Putting Cecil and Carlos together like they did and the subsequent treatment of Carlos as someone who's pure and innocent and has quirks nearing if not equal to the quirks of others in the town kinda hosed the whole thing up. On a note I'm not sure is related or not, his voice actor makes my skin crawl because he's got the whole "precious cinnamon roll lil teddy bear" vibe that my eyes roll out of their sockets.

The voice of Carlos has a podcast called "Conversations With People Who Hate Me" if you want to tell him all that yourself. :)

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
You're welcome to dislike it, of course, but most of the things you say are reasons why I do like it. Steve Carlsberg is a good litmus test. Yeah, it was funnier when Steve was just this guy whom Cecil irrationally hated, but how many times can you go to that well? It was a one-joke character. I guess they could have just stopped talking about him altogether, but I like learning that there's actually something there. Carlos was never stated to be straight or gay. Yeah, in the early episodes Cecil was basically the anime trope of a girl enraptured by a handsome man who has no interest in her. But that gets annoying if it never goes anywhere, so they decided to subvert the expectation by having Carlos return his affection. The Strex Arc was at least half satire and half sincerity. It's a fact that people will tolerate problems they create themselves but not when an outsider imposes it. For example, there are people in the U.S. who didn't pay much attention to voter suppression but insist Russia interfering with our election is unacceptable. And it's funny to me that you say things like "the fans are invested in these people" as a negative. I am invested in their stories, and I'm happy to learn more about them.

Anyway, none of this is an attempt to convince you to like it, I'm just explaining why I do. I guess I'm one of the people who's ruining it for you (though I didn't start listening until there were already two full seasons). Obviously we have different priorities in fiction. However, I do have to get serious and strongly object to

TenCentFang posted:

But I'm seven different varieties of queer myself, so I feel entitled to not like the execution of gay elements

Well of course you're entitled to dislike anything you please, regardless of your personal background. But the idea that you couldn't have said anything homophobic just because of your sexuality isn't valid. Internalized prejudice is a real thing that happens all the time. Specifically, I have to push back on

TenCentFang posted:

On a note I'm not sure is related or not, his voice actor makes my skin crawl because he's got the whole "precious cinnamon roll lil teddy bear" vibe that my eyes roll out of their sockets.

I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt and assume you don't know that that is Dylan Marron's real voice, as evidenced by his youtube videos and his personal podcast. Criticizing gay men for having girly voices is a common homophobic attack, as I'm sure you well know. In fact, he explicitly described being bullied as a child for being gay and having a high-pitched voice, two things that are clearly link in popular imagination. So, regardless of your intent, you are literally reciting homophobic attacks against a gay man. Like I said, I can't imagine that was intentional, but it's still pretty drat offensive.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

HIJK posted:

Yeah, your enjoyment of later Nightvale depends on how much you can tolerate fluff. It's legitimate to drop it if the fluffy melodrama doesn't appeal to you, that's what I did :v: The only thing I would recommend is to keep pushing through the Magnus Archives, which is extremely creepy and only gets more so the more you go in. And it doesn't devolve into happy clappy sweet water taffy nonsense.

Mmhm. I wasn't intending to come across as like, rabid about it, but since I was pressed for elaboration I went into it. You summed it up way better and in less words, though, drat. I'll keep watching Magnus Archives for awhile to see if it grows on me any better.

Jurgan posted:

I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt and assume you don't know that that is Dylan Marron's real voice, as evidenced by his youtube videos and his personal podcast. Criticizing gay men for having girly voices is a common homophobic attack, as I'm sure you well know. In fact, he explicitly described being bullied as a child for being gay and having a high-pitched voice, two things that are clearly link in popular imagination. So, regardless of your intent, you are literally reciting homophobic attacks against a gay man. Like I said, I can't imagine that was intentional, but it's still pretty drat offensive.

I think it's alright to find some people's voices inherently grating for non-bigoted reasons, but it's really as much how the character is written and acted as the voice itself, if not more so, because it's not nearly as irritating when he's not playing Carlos. The narrator of Passage also made me wanna put a pencil through my ear at first but she, at least, gets better eventually.

TenCentFang fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 13, 2017

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Disliking the podcast is extremely problematic.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

TenCentFang posted:

Mmhm. I wasn't intending to come across as like, rabid about it, but since I was pressed for elaboration I went into it. You summed it up way better and in less words, though, drat. I'll keep watching Magnus Archives for awhile to see if it grows on me any better.

I understand your hesitation regarding Magnus fwiw, the melodramatic readings bothered me too at first. But then the stories themselves started getting better and once you hit the decomposing residents of the old folks' home beating on the windows screaming for help you're either in or out, and man I was IN.

Sinteres posted:

Sir I say sir if you do not enjoy this podcast then you may be guilty of unspeakable prejudice! I do say sir! Good day sir! /tips bowler hat

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

HIJK posted:

I understand your hesitation regarding Magnus fwiw, the melodramatic readings bothered me too at first. But then the stories themselves started getting better and once you hit the decomposing residents of the old folks' home beating on the windows screaming for help you're either in or out, and man I was IN

It's definitely got the right atmosphere, and I enjoy how well the narrator gets across the main character. Somewhat dark stuff is the best to listen to when relaxing, and podcasts have a more limited selection than other kinds of media, so there's not an overwhelming sea of stuff to dive into, although I've still got getting an Audible account as a backup. I should also listen to more Psudopod. I used to like Midnight Marinara a lot, but they apparently aren't doing stories anymore in favor of analysis videos instead.

TenCentFang fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 13, 2017

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I don't think Night Vale is pandering to it's audience, I think it basically is its audience. Maybe that's a distinction without a difference.

I just recently got my dad into The Magnus Archives. He's six episodes in and loving it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

TenCentFang posted:

I think it's alright to find some people's voices inherently grating for non-bigoted reasons, but it's really as much how the character is written and acted as the voice itself, if not more so, because it's not nearly as irritating when he's not playing Carlos. The narrator of Passage also made me wanna put a pencil through my ear at first but she, at least, gets better eventually.

He could have the deepest most stereotyped macho voice ever and I still would find the character of Carlos grating. The best episodes were the early ones where it was just weird stuff happening in the town.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Len posted:

He could have the deepest most stereotyped macho voice ever and I still would find the character of Carlos grating. The best episodes were the early ones where it was just weird stuff happening in the town.

^precisely

They just totally lost the unique spark in favor doing whatever would make teenage fans happy.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

TenCentFang posted:

^precisely

They just totally lost the unique spark in favor doing whatever would make teenage fans happy.

All I'm hearing is "they're not catering to me personally, so therefore it sucks." I'm far older than a teenager and I've enjoyed the entire series. You don't have to like it, but obviously a lot of people do. Moreover, the creators are clearly having a good time making it. The current seasons aren't to your taste, fine, but that doesn't make them worse, nor does it mean they're being dictated to by the fanbase.

Sinteres posted:

You know I didn't say that, right?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Has anyone noticed how anytime someone brings up "I liked Nightvale before it became a romcom" it always ends up an argument? Typically someone gets called homophobic and then we all just drop it and move on until the next time it comes up.

You can dislike the fact it's a romcom without it being homophobic.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Jurgan posted:

You know I didn't say that, right?

Like Len said, the implication (at least) is there every time this subject comes up, and I was responding more to that in general than anything you said specifically, which is why I didn't quote you. I did think bringing out the big gun of saying someone was expressing internalized bigotry because they disagreed with you was a bit much though.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Sinteres posted:

Like Len said, the implication (at least) is there every time this subject comes up, and I was responding more to that in general than anything you said specifically, which is why I didn't quote you. I did think bringing out the big gun of saying someone was expressing internalized bigotry because they disagreed with you was a bit much though.

It was hard to get past the fact that just a couple weeks ago I heard Dylan Marron talk about how he was bullied about his voice, and then I come here and see someone making fun of his voice. I didn't say "you are clearly expressing internalized bigotry," I said "you're saying something that can easily be read as bigoted, and 'it's okay if I do it because I'm queer' doesn't make any sense." But you can't just point out that someone said something offensive and ask them to stop, because then you have to go through this whole complicated dance of "I'm sure they didn't mean it." A well-meaning person can say something offensive.

Len posted:

Has anyone noticed how anytime someone brings up "I liked Nightvale before it became a romcom" it always ends up an argument? Typically someone gets called homophobic and then we all just drop it and move on until the next time it comes up.

You can dislike the fact it's a romcom without it being homophobic.

Of course you can (although I do think calling it a romcom is oversimplifying- plenty of episodes don't have romance). But a lot of the time when people complain about the fanbase (usually with a gratuitous complaint about Tumblr attached) they are talking about all the gay stuff making them uncomfortable. I wasn't accusing Ten Cent Fang personally, just saying that it's an easy assumption to make if someone doesn't say why they dislike it.

At base, I think change and growth is important in any long-running series. Stagnation is creative death. The worst shows are those that keep doing th same thing for years- look at Black Tapes's increasingly stale mystery narrative. When a show tries something different, you can stick with it or abandon it, but it seems silly to complain that they aren't continuing to do the same thing over and over just because you liked it better.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Jurgan posted:

I wasn't accusing Ten Cent Fang personally

Jurgan responding to Ten Cent Fang posted:

you are literally reciting homophobic attacks against a gay man

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Read the context of the first statement: I said I wasn't accusing them of hating the show because it was gay. I was pointing out the fact that he was saying about Dylan Marron the exact same thing homophobic bullies had previously said to him. I wasn't accusing anyone of hateful motives or bigotry, I was saying that they said something easily interpreted as homophobic. This is a simple but important point: good people can do bad things. If I said "man, that black guy looks like such a thug," I should rightfully be called out for saying something racist, whether I meant it that way or not. Just a few days ago I had to tell someone that "gypped" is a racial slur, and he accepted it and presumably will not say it again. When someone commits a microagression of some sort, it's important to call it out. Responding with "but I didn't mean it!" is not how you're supposed to respond.

Here's how the conversation went, as far as I can tell. If any of this seems off or unfair, please tell me:

TCF: I hate Night Vale since they started pandering to their audience.
Jurgan: I really don't like when people accuse people of "pandering" just because the style changes.
TCF: Fine, maybe it's not "pandering," but they're still acting just like their fanbase.
Jurgan: I'm not sure what that means, but a lot of times when people say that they're being homophobic.
TCF: I'm not homophobic, I'm queer myself! Also, I really hate that one gay character has a cutesy voice.
Jurgan: Making fun of gay people for having high-pitched voices is a common anti-gay slur, so you really shouldn't say that. Being queer doesn't give you a free pass.

I don't want this to turn into a huge fight, so I'm just laying out my perspective. It's an honest question: what part of that do you object to? I'm open to listening.

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 14, 2017

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
If you dinguses want to hear someone pander to a fanbase, listen to The Blood Crow Stories. (Don't listen to The Blood Crow Stories, it's loving terrible)

The particular Night Vale criticism here seems to start at exactly the point where Night Vale started introducing voices other than Cecil. That was a huge narrative development, and one that pretty much every longford show hits. That's usually where an audience splits; either because the show hits a sophomore slump, or the fans weren't getting what they tuned in for; in this case more of a romcom when they were looking for cosmic banality.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like how Magnus occasionally mentions ongoing or previous supernatural cases. It's some good fuckin world building.

Jurgan posted:

TCF: Fine, maybe it's not "pandering," but they're still acting just like their fanbase.

I never actually said it wasn't pandering. Like, I didn't backpedal on that. Clarifying this is all I feel like contributing further, I stand by what I said in previous posts and there's not much to add.

Slamhound posted:

If you dinguses want to hear someone pander to a fanbase, listen to The Blood Crow Stories. (Don't listen to The Blood Crow Stories, it's loving terrible)

Could you elaborate? I love hearing about terrible media.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

TenCentFang posted:

Could you elaborate? I love hearing about terrible media.
The plot is that a grad student is doing a dissertation on the recordings of passengers from a ship that sank under mysterious circumstances back in the 20s.

The grad student is in a polyamorous relationship just because, all the passengers tick some checkbox, and the student interrupts their recordings to point it out and squee about it. It's insufferable. And there's some stupid supernatural poo poo going on.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

TenCentFang posted:

I like how Magnus occasionally mentions ongoing or previous supernatural cases. It's some good fuckin world building.

Yea someone created a map showing all the linking of the various episodes. Unfortunately it's only up to episode 51, so it's missing a lot of links that have been uncovered through subsequent episodes.

http://svgshare.com/i/fh.svg

As the show progresses it's amazing to discover how much is connected.

Also, looks like the show is consistently in the top 100 downloaded podcasts in the arts section (right now it's 86). Good to hear. Though with the success of their Patron they won't have any problem financing the rest of the series.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Honestly the Black Tapes panders way more to the "smarter than you skeptic" than Nightvale panders to anything. Also the Black Tapes is bad whereas Nightvale just has some less good seasons.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
I didn't like Black Tapes from episode one, though.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

TenCentFang posted:

I never actually said it wasn't pandering. Like, I didn't backpedal on that. Clarifying this is all I feel like contributing further, I stand by what I said in previous posts and there's not much to add.

Hey, what's the difference between pandering and delivering a satisfying experience for your fans? Answer: It's pandering when the people they're delivering to aren't me.

Anyway, moving on.

Slamhound posted:

The particular Night Vale criticism here seems to start at exactly the point where Night Vale started introducing voices other than Cecil. That was a huge narrative development, and one that pretty much every longford show hits. That's usually where an audience splits; either because the show hits a sophomore slump, or the fans weren't getting what they tuned in for; in this case more of a romcom when they were looking for cosmic banality.

Did anyone turn off to Magnus Archives when they started having other members of the Institute have voices and weaving things into a meta-plot? I could easily see someone saying "I don't care about Jane Prentiss's worms or Leitner's library, I just want creepy one-shot stories.

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 14, 2017

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Jurgan posted:

Did anyone turn off to Magnus Archives when they started having other members of the Institute have voices and weaving things into a meta-plot? I could easily see someone saying "I don't care about Jane Prentiss's worms or Leitner's library, I just want creepy one-shot stories.

The thing with Magnus is that most of the episodes still work as creepy one-shots. It adds something to pay attention to the meta-plot, and there's a few episodes where that's especially true (like the season finales), but it never suddenly jumps to being a feel-good comedy or a romance drama or whatever. Every episode has weird creepy supernatural poo poo happening as the main thrust of the episode, and the meta-plot is also weird creepy supernatural poo poo.

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 14, 2017

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Magnus Archives episode: it's narrated like a goofy happy comedy and then at the end it's a monster doing that ahhhh!!!!!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

We get, it's not okay to dislike Nightvale because of the tonal shift as the series went. I'm sorry that my opinion was objectively wrong I'll start liking it again immediately.

If Magnus Archives becomes a romcom you bet your rear end I'll jump off then too. I'm there for creepy stories when they stop giving me creepy stories I'll check out. I'm actually really curious about the next season because it sounds like there's going to be a status quo change. But we're almost halfway done with the series so it'll be neat to see how things start to ramp up.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Magnus Archives is becoming a rom-com though.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Turtlicious posted:

How so? The lady cop who was feeding him tapes while he was a murder suspect?

Or Tim sleeping with a man and woman on opposite shifts in the same department at the police station?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Len posted:

We get, it's not okay to dislike Nightvale because of the tonal shift as the series went. I'm sorry that my opinion was objectively wrong I'll start liking it again immediately.

Piss off, no one ever said that. If you pay attention to the actual conversation and not the strawman version you made in your head, you'll see I said over and over that I don't care if you dislike the show. What I object to is this obnoxious self-congratulating "hispster" attitude. "I liked the first season, but then they started pandering to me dumber than me who only like romance. Now it sucks and anyone who still likes it is a simpleton." If you dislike the tonal shift, who gives a poo poo? It's an opinion. But what I'm reading from you and TCF is that the creators are pandering sell-outs who don't care about telling good stories anymore because you personally don't like them. That's really insulting to the creators, and it's also insulting to current fans by implying they only care about 'shipping and fanservice rather than good stories. Like what you like, but allow that other people will like things you don't and that doesn't mean you have superior taste.

Arcsech posted:

The thing with Magnus is that most of the episodes still work as creepy one-shots. It adds something to pay attention to the meta-plot, and there's a few episodes where that's especially true (like the season finales), but it never suddenly jumps to being a feel-good comedy or a romance drama or whatever. Every episode has weird creepy supernatural poo poo happening as the main thrust of the episode, and the meta-plot is also weird creepy supernatural poo poo.

Incidentally, rereading the question that prompted this, I see how my words could be read as a sarcastic challenge. If so, that wasn't intentional. I was genuinely curious if there were "first season only" fans of MA. I apologize, though; I should have been more careful how I worded it.

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 15, 2017

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

The real thing John is afraid of? Commitment.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Len posted:

How so? The lady cop who was feeding him tapes while he was a murder suspect?

Or Tim sleeping with a man and woman on opposite shifts in the same department at the police station?

I have a lot to look forward to as I catch up.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Jurgan posted:

Incidentally, rereading the question that prompted this, I see how my words could be read as a sarcastic challenge. If so, that wasn't intentional. I was genuinely curious if there were "first season only" fans of MA. I apologize, though; I should have been more careful how I worded it.

Yeah, I thought it was a rhetorical question rather than a literal one - sorry for misinterpreting you!

Pretty sure there was somebody in the Magnus subreddit saying something along those lines, that they thought the second season wasn't as good because it focussed too much on the meta-plot. I've only seen it once though.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Personally, I've always been the type that prefers Monster of the Week to metaplot episodes in regards to things like The X-Files(and with The X-Files specifically I think it's a generally agreed upon opinion that the MotW episodes are tighter). That said, I think if TMA can keep the quality at least where it is, it shouldn't be a big problem.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

TenCentFang posted:

Personally, I've always been the type that prefers Monster of the Week to metaplot episodes in regards to things like The X-Files(and with The X-Files specifically I think it's a generally agreed upon opinion that the MotW episodes are tighter). That said, I think if TMA can keep the quality at least where it is, it shouldn't be a big problem.

I think the biggest problem with the "serialized but episodic" stories is when the creators don't know where the meta-plot is going. Shows like The X-Files and Lost (and, relevant to this thread, The Black Tapes and Tanis) are infamous for wandering through storylines that don't go anywhere and have lots of questions but no answers. Contrast that with the first five seasons of Supernatural. They aren't perfect by any means, but the story arc clearly builds on itself and every element serves a purpose in leading to the ultimate confrontation.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Jurgan posted:

, and it's also insulting to current fans by implying they only care about 'shipping and fanservice rather than good stories.

The only people outside of SA I've ever met who know of Nightvale are this exactly. Granted it's not a large pool but my anecdotal evidence tells me that's exactly what the fans want.

Also you should probably step back and read your posts because you're coming off as incredibly hostile and from my time reading the old Nightvale thread I'm fairly certain Maxnmona would just go "okay and you don't like thing that's fine" and keep on trucking. So maybe don't take things so personally?

I stayed on until the episode where Carlos gave a fond farewell to the desert other world so he could go on an epic journey to return home to Nightvale and that was when I decided it definitely wasn't a thing for me anymore and stopped listening.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Len posted:

I stayed on until the episode where Carlos gave a fond farewell to the desert other world so he could go on an epic journey to return home to Nightvale and that was when I decided it definitely wasn't a thing for me anymore and stopped listening.

This is where I stopped too. I listened to everything up until that regularly, but that episode just turned me off the show for some reason. I'm not sure why. Maybe I'll try another episode or two.

I wound up bouncing over to the black tapes, which -- like has been said -- turned out to be a meandering nothingburger of a series. Towards the end, I thought that Alex had some kind of brain damage with the bad pacing of her speech. And, of course, the abuse of The Spooky Noise sting. I joked with my wife that they'd try to drama up any conversation with it:
Nick: "I think we should go to McDonalds for lunch"
Alex: "Oh, you want... to go to Mac... Donalds???? for lunch."
Nick: "Yeah, that meal we eat in the middle of the day? You know, lunch."
(spooky noise sting)

After that, I started with Archive 81. I think it an amazing job capturing the arcane and eldritch horror that BTP tried to go for. The first season was very lovecraftian in tone, all weird angles, cultists and strange corporations. The difference in setting and tone between season 1 and 2 is amazing -- having Dan find himself awaken in his new situation with his new companions was such a well crafted twist. I can't wait to hear what happens in season 3 .

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Len posted:

The only people outside of SA I've ever met who know of Nightvale are this exactly. Granted it's not a large pool but my anecdotal evidence tells me that's exactly what the fans want.

"Fans of a show are people who like what happens in the show" is pretty much a tautology. People get most excited about stuff like shipping, I suppose, because it's the payoff to a long build-up. But the payoff wouldn't be satisfying if the build-up were slapdash. I don't know if other people do this, but I'll sometimes go back and read just my favorite chapters of books I like and relive the high points. If the rest of the book up to that had been bad, though, then the payoff wouldn't have had any impact and I wouldn't remember it so clearly.

That's just a roundabout way of saying that fans may mostly talk about the romantic stuff, but I'm pretty sure they're fans of the whole show. Also, on the Night Vale FB group I follow, it's mostly people posting random weird images and text posts that seem like they fit into the creepy Night Vale vibe.

Len posted:

Also you should probably step back and read your posts because you're coming off as incredibly hostile and from my time reading the old Nightvale thread I'm fairly certain Maxnmona would just go "okay and you don't like thing that's fine" and keep on trucking.

Thing is, he's been asked this exact question before and responded thusly:

Maxnmona aka Joseph Fink posted:

Your opinion is totally valid, and you don't have to like our show, but changes in the show have happened because it's what we were interested in writing and it was the stories that seemed interesting to tell. We have no target demographic, and we never write to fan feedback.

I very rarely think it's fair to accuse a creator of "pandering" or "selling out." You're essentially saying that they have no integrity and are just whoring themselves out to make a buck. Based on the above quote, I'm pretty sure if you did level that accusation at Fink he'd very politely tell you to go gently caress yourself.

Len posted:

So maybe don't take things so personally?

I mean, maybe? Go back fifteen years and I'd start screaming at people for having differing opinions of TV shows. I try not to do that anymore, but it does feel like you're saying that anyone who likes the current stories are shallow or easily amused. I don't mind people having different opinions, but I do mind when people insult others for their opinions. I'd like people to be able to discuss shows here and talk about why they like and don't like things without feeling like they're being made fun of.

And that's the other thing, which is probably just me being silly: I started this thread, so I feel a certain responsibility for what happens in it. Maybe that's wrong, since I'm not a mod and can't give bans or probations. I've never started a theme thread intended to run long-term, so I'm not really sure how much to do to keep it running smoothly. Still, when I see something that I think could potentially cause problems, I feel compelled to step in. Could be I'm a bit overzealous about that and am causing a problem that didn't have to start, but that's how it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wait, did The Black Tapes actually finish?

Jurgan posted:

I mean, maybe? Go back fifteen years and I'd start screaming at people for having differing opinions of TV shows. I try not to do that anymore

Well, I guess just writing incredibly hostile posts at people who have different opinions of podcasts is an improvement....