Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Wolf 359 is the scifi one. I Am in Eskew is the horror one (though I'd argue Magnus gets pretty close.)

Ars Paradoxica would be up there except it ran a season too long.

EDIT: \/ man, that is definitely true isn't it? A lot of shows take time to find their footing though.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

Wolf 359 is the scifi one. I Am in Eskew is the horror one (though I'd argue Magnus gets pretty close.)

Ars Paradoxica would be up there except it ran a season too long.

That's ok, Wolf 359 started 1 season too early.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Wolf 359 season 1 really feels like a bad nightvale riff but once you power through that it gets great

Ars was definitely good until it just suddenly wasn't anymore. There was just a flat drop off on that one

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
It was basically at the start of year 3 (iirc.)

The first season dealing with the accidental time travel ramifications and the early days of an agency to deal with them was a lot of fun and season 2 turning into Cold War, but complicated by time travel was even more fun.

I think the story just became way too complex for the writers to properly handle or resolve satisfactorily.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Just noticed that Bubble is not mentioned in the OP. I realize it stopped two years ago, but so far it was one of the better audio drama podcasts I've listened to. Gives me a "30 Rock, but about monster hunters in the gig economy" vibe. And the writing is good, I think. https://maximumfun.org/podcasts/bubble

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Hey babe, let me show you this awesome podcast

Sits through 30 loving seconds of belching.

No please, it's good. I promise.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Well it's about monster hunters, duh. Ok if you don't like tv shows like Evil Dead, Blood Drive, or Z Nation, give it a pass.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

busalover posted:

Just noticed that Bubble is not mentioned in the OP. I realize it stopped two years ago, but so far it was one of the better audio drama podcasts I've listened to. Gives me a "30 Rock, but about monster hunters in the gig economy" vibe. And the writing is good, I think. https://maximumfun.org/podcasts/bubble

They posted on reddit a year ago that there's totally absolutely going to be more. And that the live episode will get uploaded sometime.

I doubt either will happen

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Len posted:

They posted on reddit a year ago that there's totally absolutely going to be more. And that the live episode will get uploaded sometime.

I doubt either will happen

They're doing a graphic novel.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

mariooncrack posted:

They're doing a graphic novel.

Probably cheaper that way but also meh

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I still think Eskew was wildly overrated itt

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wanted to like Ars but to be honest I ran into the problem that the cast sounded too samey to me. I actually had a hard time telling people apart or keeping track of them because the dialogue all sounded a bit too much the same and a lot of the voices (especially for some of the male characters) just blended together too much. It was okay in smaller scenes but once I was listening to a scene and realized I could only keep track of the protagonist I just kinda shrugged and stopped.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
What's a good season of Night vale to start with? I listened to the first episode of season one and two (ten minutes each), but didn't like it much. Is it always just a single narrator?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

busalover posted:

What's a good season of Night vale to start with? I listened to the first episode of season one and two (ten minutes each), but didn't like it much. Is it always just a single narrator?

I'd say listen to the most recent episode and see if it grabs you.

Their writing and production values definitely increase a lot over the years, but the same basic episode structure is always present. They do have guest spots, and ongoing stories, so some episodes are partially or even mostly not Cecil, but the vast majority are single narrator. They do some really cool storytelling within their style as the show ramps up though.

There's a whole mythos that weaves throughout the series, and it starts early, so I definitely think that a chronological listen is the best way to experience it, but a random recent episode is a good way to see if you like the overall format.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
They actually have a nice intro video for just this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RctyRvEKZ0E

and here's a list of recommended episodes from the creators:
http://www.welcometonightvale.com/listen

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I should get back to Nightvale but the last episode I remember listening to was the heist of highschool crushes and that was 4 or 5 years ago now.

I want to listen to the Bright Sessions spin offs but I don't want to subscribe to a service when there's so many that are free or let me pay the team directly

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.
For anyone here who's a fan of The Magnus Archives (especially, particularly, the "overarching plot conspiracy" aspect of it), I highly recommend checking out Rusty Quill Gaming. Even if you don't give a half a poo poo about RPG podcasts, don't let that put you off - my husband has never played an RPG in his life and got hugely into the latter after listening to the former. The story in RQG really transcends the typical RPG BS, IMO.

The only caveat is that it's absolutely not great at the beginning. It takes somewhere in the range of 10-20 episodes to really start picking up, but from there it just gets better and better and better.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Azathoth posted:

I'd say listen to the most recent episode and see if it grabs you.

Their writing and production values definitely increase a lot over the years, but the same basic episode structure is always present. They do have guest spots, and ongoing stories, so some episodes are partially or even mostly not Cecil, but the vast majority are single narrator. They do some really cool storytelling within their style as the show ramps up though.

There's a whole mythos that weaves throughout the series, and it starts early, so I definitely think that a chronological listen is the best way to experience it, but a random recent episode is a good way to see if you like the overall format.

Eh I don't know if the most recent one is a good starting point, but it is a good standard episode. As a long time listener, I'd say start at the very beginning and don't just jump in. The most recent one (Radio Jupiter) doesn't even lead with Cecil, and it's got references to some deep lore. Just start at episode 1.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I'm glad that Better Help is here during these troubled times to give me 10% off my first month of mental health counseling I'm going to make fun of their ads but if they manage to help at least one person not commit suicide it's worth it

And that Dipsea is there for your sexual wellbeing for a free month of their erotic stories

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Len posted:

I'm glad that Better Help is here during these troubled times to give me 10% off my first month of mental health counseling I'm going to make fun of their ads but if they manage to help at least one person not commit suicide it's worth it

And that Dipsea is there for your sexual wellbeing for a free month of their erotic stories

drat, this post was so hard to read, it was like I was wearing my Passion Gape Bar from Extreme Restriants Dot Com.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Do I want to know what you guys are talking about?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

New Leaf posted:

Yes, and I have an amazing coupon code to help you learn all about it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

New Leaf posted:

Every audio drama podcast I listen to has been talking about Better Help to get you through these troubled times.

Nosleep just told me about mail order boner pills

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

You're not a real podcast fan until you've sent hate mail to Cafe Altura's COO, Dillon Miskiewicz.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I forgot how good early Night Vale was it was on point back when it was just weird happenings in the town

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Someone published a list of horror fiction podcasts on reddit... it's quite extensive, maybe something in there (and in the comments) people here might not now :

https://old.reddit.com/r/podcasts/comments/j385g8/if_youve_never_given_horror_fiction_podcasts_a/

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

busalover posted:

Someone published a list of horror fiction podcasts on reddit... it's quite extensive, maybe something in there (and in the comments) people here might not now :

https://old.reddit.com/r/podcasts/comments/j385g8/if_youve_never_given_horror_fiction_podcasts_a/

I just posted this in the thread:

quote:

I'd say do a pass through and add comedy / dark comedy tags or at least tongue in cheek.

Missing The Alexandria Archives http://www.alexandriaarchives.com/

Them, King Falls AM, and Uncanny County are tongue in cheek weird in addition to 'horror. While Welcome to Nightvale feels Black Comedy first Horror second.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

have i asked in this thread if there's a podcast app that syncs between android and ios? because i'm wondering if anyone knows something

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Len posted:

have i asked in this thread if there's a podcast app that syncs between android and ios? because i'm wondering if anyone knows something

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/player-fm-podcast-app/id940568467

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Nightvale went back and made edits on episodes in the last 4 years right? I'm pretty sure there wasn't a mountain goats cover in the early episodes and they definitely didn't have so many ads or any really.

Is this what it's like when people say they can't watch the home media release of Daria? It's the same but different

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Len posted:

Nightvale went back and made edits on episodes in the last 4 years right? I'm pretty sure there wasn't a mountain goats cover in the early episodes and they definitely didn't have so many ads or any really.

Is this what it's like when people say they can't watch the home media release of Daria? It's the same but different

The ads are new, but eh, that's the business. Not gonna fault them for that.

As for the Weather swap, #15 and #34 originally included a song by Tom Milsom. After it was revealed that he was a pedophile, they quietly swapped out the songs.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Azathoth posted:

The ads are new, but eh, that's the business. Not gonna fault them for that.

As for the Weather swap, #15 and #34 originally included a song by Tom Milsom. After it was revealed that he was a pedophile, they quietly swapped out the songs.

That's a pretty good reason for the swap then. I didn't remember what was there but i was pretty sure that 15 didn't play a mountain goats cover at me originally.

It's just weird hearing them talk up how great a game best fiends is and the ads definitely stand out next to how they did some very fake jokes above ads like the audible one in an early episode. So it starts with an ad telling me that this year has been bad and betterhelp is here for me, fake audible ad, book ends with a real ad

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Len posted:

That's a pretty good reason for the swap then. I didn't remember what was there but i was pretty sure that 15 didn't play a mountain goats cover at me originally.

It's just weird hearing them talk up how great a game best fiends is and the ads definitely stand out next to how they did some very fake jokes above ads like the audible one in an early episode. So it starts with an ad telling me that this year has been bad and betterhelp is here for me, fake audible ad, book ends with a real ad

yeah, they've been pretty open about how much of a financial hit they've taken not being able to tour, so if not hearing them talk about eating subway is the price, so be it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Azathoth posted:

yeah, they've been pretty open about how much of a financial hit they've taken not being able to tour, so if not hearing them talk about eating subway is the price, so be it.

:agreed:

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

They also had a podcast specifically about The Mountain Goats on their network so they're probably okay with their music being used.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

New Leaf posted:

They also had a podcast specifically about The Mountain Goats on their network so they're probably okay with their music being used.

I saw the mountain goats last year and most of their mech table was the same stuff I can get from the Nightvale store for their podcast. It was a little disappointing honestly

But I wasn't complaining I just thought I was going crazy for a second because I would have remembered a song from the best mountain goats album that early in the run

10thAvenue
Jun 7, 2004

I took a break from serialized fiction for a while and I'm wondering if anything really good has come out since then. The last thing I remember being talked about at the time I stopped was season 3 of Archive 81 and I Am In Eskew, so I guess I stopped around late 2018? I've tried reading back a few pages and I still see talk of shows that I am familiar with. Anything new and good since late 2018?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

10thAvenue posted:

I took a break from serialized fiction for a while and I'm wondering if anything really good has come out since then. The last thing I remember being talked about at the time I stopped was season 3 of Archive 81 and I Am In Eskew, so I guess I stopped around late 2018? I've tried reading back a few pages and I still see talk of shows that I am familiar with. Anything new and good since late 2018?

The newest darling is Old Gods of Appalachia

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

10thAvenue posted:

The Wolf359 crew have a new show called Unseen (seems to be a supernatural mystery) starting Monday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I would definitely check out Tales from the Aletheian Society, which started mid-2018, if you haven't already done so.