Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Azathoth posted:

Yeah, no poo poo. I genuinely do not understand why anyone who bounced off of Tanis (or any of the other podcasts by the same people) would even try one of their other ones at this point. It's crystal clear right now what you're gonna get with one of theirs and yet people still seem to think that yes, in season 2 of The Last Movie, a podcast with two of the main characters from Tanis and by the same people, that this season is the one where it's not going to be a hot loving mess of loose ends and Shyamalanian twists.

Why anyone would hate listen to a podcast they know they won't like when there's so much other media out there to consume instead is absolutely beyond me.

I genuinely like both Tanis and Last movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Sekenr posted:

I genuinely like both Tanis and Last movie.

I do too, I just get annoyed with people kramering into the thread to share how much they hate everything they do whenever a new season or episode drops.

It's tiresome and no one's forcing them to listen, yet a certain segment of people here can't help but register how much episode 142 (or whatever) of the ongoing story is dumb and sucks just like the previous 141 episodes sucked. And you can be sure that when 143 drops, they'll be right back in here saying how terrible it is.

Like, if it's a new podcast or even a recent change in an existing one, that I totally understand, but at this point if you're still listening and don't like it, seriously take the time to examine why you're choosing to spend your time consuming something you don't like just so you can talk about how much you don't like it in here.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
I hear you but I listened to four seasons expecting SOMETHING to resolve. Now, I'm on season five and it's clones, aliens, even more mystery boxes and still no resolution to anything.

You can't just JJ Abrams forever without some things having a wrap.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

I hear you but I listened to four seasons expecting SOMETHING to resolve. Now, I'm on season five and it's clones, aliens, even more mystery boxes and still no resolution to anything.

You can't just JJ Abrams forever without some things having a wrap.
They can and they will. It will never resolve. You really should have accepted this by now.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I didn't realize that last episode of Tanis was the season finale. Now another 3 years to get the next season.

Are Nic and MK loving?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Has anyone been reading Thirteen Storeys by Johnathan Sims? I'm a slow reader and only in chapter 5. It's okay so far but definitely no Magnus Archives

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

New Leaf posted:

I didn't realize that last episode of Tanis was the season finale. Now another 3 years to get the next season.

Are Nic and MK loving?

Pretty sure they confirmed that they were in a relationship a season back or so. For all the import that crucial info carries.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Azathoth posted:

I do too, I just get annoyed with people kramering into the thread to share how much they hate everything they do whenever a new season or episode drops.

It's tiresome and no one's forcing them to listen, yet a certain segment of people here can't help but register how much episode 142 (or whatever) of the ongoing story is dumb and sucks just like the previous 141 episodes sucked. And you can be sure that when 143 drops, they'll be right back in here saying how terrible it is.

Like, if it's a new podcast or even a recent change in an existing one, that I totally understand, but at this point if you're still listening and don't like it, seriously take the time to examine why you're choosing to spend your time consuming something you don't like just so you can talk about how much you don't like it in here.

I don't actually hate or even dislike Tanis. I've only listened to one episode. It's just really easy to make jokes about.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Len posted:

Has anyone been reading Thirteen Storeys by Johnathan Sims? I'm a slow reader and only in chapter 5. It's okay so far but definitely no Magnus Archives

I'm enjoying it. The thematic similarity to Magnus is pretty obvious, but agree that it's maybe not as good. But I'm gonna hold off on passing full judgment until the end in case it all ties together brilliantly. I didn't love Magnus at first, so I'm happy to wait and see. I thought Chapter 4 was as spooky as anything he'd done for Magnus though, but I admit I'll always mark out for creepy ghost children.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Anyone here listening to Edict Zero? I just finished season one, thought the beginning was strong, but then it got super muddled. Like, I kept zoning out. Just started season two, seems more streamlined, but we'll see. The actors are great, I think, but the writing feels a little bit too smart-assey at times.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

busalover posted:

Anyone here listening to Edict Zero? I just finished season one, thought the beginning was strong, but then it got super muddled. Like, I kept zoning out. Just started season two, seems more streamlined, but we'll see. The actors are great, I think, but the writing feels a little bit too smart-assey at times.

Yah I listened for awhile but unsubscribed. I can't even tell if I finished through Season 4 or not. I read the wiki a bit to catch up on what happens and felt fine with that.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Azathoth posted:

They can and they will. It will never resolve. You really should have accepted this by now.

I accept and don't like it

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Amelia Project is holding the back half of season 3 hostage until they get 450 patreons. That feels wrong somehow?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
If you've listened and enjoyed 143 episodes of Tanis, you have already forged your soul in a fire so hot, that it melts the sun, our words rain on you like drops of ether, evaporating instantly.

That being said, I need resolution so all the nay saying made me not give it a shot. Things need to have an end, all my favorite podcasts got in, told their story over the course of a few years, and got out.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Boba Pearl posted:

If you've listened and enjoyed 143 episodes of Tanis, you have already forged your soul in a fire so hot, that it melts the sun, our words rain on you like drops of ether, evaporating instantly.

That being said, I need resolution so all the nay saying made me not give it a shot. Things need to have an end, all my favorite podcasts got in, told their story over the course of a few years, and got out.

Jonathan Sims said in one of the early interview bonus eps of Magnus Archives that the first thing he wrote was the ending, and that's something every mystery writer should follow IMO.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Honestly, the second season of the Last Movie is real good. The interns are a bit awkward but the central mystery is engaging and has a lot of creepy imagery.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

cptn_dr posted:

I'm enjoying it. The thematic similarity to Magnus is pretty obvious, but agree that it's maybe not as good. But I'm gonna hold off on passing full judgment until the end in case it all ties together brilliantly. I didn't love Magnus at first, so I'm happy to wait and see. I thought Chapter 4 was as spooky as anything he'd done for Magnus though, but I admit I'll always mark out for creepy ghost children.

Finished reading it. It's definitely no Magnus, but I liked it anyway. It's very classically Jonny (CAPITALISM IS BAD) but it's done with enough style and spookiness that I don't mind that it's not at all subtle.

The ending was so much happier than any I've ever seen Jonny write before. Usually everyone's dead and/or broken forever. It is, however, still quite gay. All up, I'd recommend it if you like Magnus (and if you're into Jonny's work enough that you like the Mechs, I assume you've already read it).

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

cptn_dr posted:

Finished reading it. It's definitely no Magnus, but I liked it anyway. It's very classically Jonny (CAPITALISM IS BAD) but it's done with enough style and spookiness that I don't mind that it's not at all subtle.

The ending was so much happier than any I've ever seen Jonny write before. Usually everyone's dead and/or broken forever. It is, however, still quite gay. All up, I'd recommend it if you like Magnus (and if you're into Jonny's work enough that you like the Mechs, I assume you've already read it).

Just finished it. Definitely not as good as Magnus but I enjoyed it overall.

The true horror are the bodies capitalism left in its wake

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
What's the name of this show?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

LongDarkNight posted:

What's the name of this show?

That's Magnus Archives for sure

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Any others that fit that bill?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

LongDarkNight posted:

Any others that fit that bill?

Archive 81s second season kind of? I don't think it has the gay longing but it's definitely about a corporation trying to take control of an otherworldly place of weirdness

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

"I want horror that is unimaginably evil and uncaring"

Capitalism

"No, it's too much, just give me flesh monsters eating my children instead, please!"

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

"I want horror that is unimaginably evil and uncaring"

Capitalism

"No, it's too much, just give me flesh monsters eating my children instead, please!"

Capitalism - does both at the same time!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The Eskew makers have a new podcast

https://www.thesiltverses.com/

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

If they were gonna be so hyper specific they might as well have just called it Magnus

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

the only other horror podcast I can think of that addresses capitalism as direct is Archive 81, and that's not a description of it at all...

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Azathoth posted:

the only other horror podcast I can think of that addresses capitalism as direct is Archive 81, and that's not a description of it at all...

Look man, Static Man and what'shisname count. They definitely have a bromance going

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Len posted:

Look man, Static Man and what'shisname count. They definitely have a bromance going

lol

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Nicholas was apparently the name of the boring guy

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I liked Nicholas, though that was probably buoyed by how good Kristen DiMercurio is as Christine.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Azathoth posted:

I liked Nicholas, though that was probably buoyed by how good Kristen DiMercurio is as Christine.

I want a spin off about her adventures in the other world

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Len posted:

I want a spin off about her adventures in the other world

I'm guessing that they're probably going to do something only tangentially related for season 4, given their past history, but I swear I would throw so much goddamn money at this it's not even funny

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Dangerous Person posted:

If they were gonna be so hyper specific they might as well have just called it Magnus

it's also more or less the course taken by night vale

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Also I think Old Gods of Applachia counts as a reversal. The narrator's first words are about how Capitalism has ruined his home, and the longer the podcast goes on the more otherworldly and inhuman the monsters become

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Mokinokaro posted:

The Eskew makers have a new podcast

https://www.thesiltverses.com/

The first episode is very promising. I'm excited to see where it goes.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I'm on the new years episode of Unseen. I wouldn't call it a bad podcast but it wasn't what I was hoping for

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Len posted:

I'm on the new years episode of Unseen. I wouldn't call it a bad podcast but it wasn't what I was hoping for

Yeah, I have enjoyed it myself, but I am continually baffled by the exceptionally small scope that the creative team chose.

As a follow-up project to a 2.5 year, 61 full episode, 14 mini-episode, plus a handful of other stuff, they pitch a new show with 10 episodes dropping over 2 months and only add some specials because they got a big kickstarter response. That is, as you so aptly say, "not what I was hoping for" from the team that created Wolf 359.

Maybe they'll do a season 2 and actually tell a story. Right now, it feels like someone took an unpublished TTRPG book and whipped up some stories about what they read inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Apparently they did have something else planned for last year but COVID changed things.