Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

[quote="“pop fly to McGillicutty”" post="“477109574”"]
I just listened to Archive 81 in the span of three days and I can’t believe it isn’t getting more love. Oh well, lean in while i hum this melody to you.
[/quote]

As it came out people were really really down on the second season. I personally really liked it but wasn't sure about the tone shift for the first three episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Yeah it was an odd shift especially hearing it back to back. I love sci fi and body horror so I loved it. I could see it putting people off though.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I don't mind the themes being explored in season 2 of Archive 81 -- it's just that I was listening to it because I was enjoying the themes explored in season 1. Once they made the shift, I lost interest.

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Cake, is it a drug, or is it simply a delicious chocolatey piece of heaven?

calandryll posted:

I listened to the first 4 episodes or so and while the acting was good. I just couldn't get into the story.

It's not for everyone, but I figured it was worth mentioning for the strong acting and well written plot/dialogue, and given that there's been plenty discussed that I don't like but others do (don't really feel it's necessary to say which ones if all I'm doing is saying 'I don't like it') I thought I'd tell people about it who might have wanted to try something new.

Some good recs in here though!

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Vox has an article up on recommended horror/thriller podcasts. Some good ones in there, and a couple I haven't heard of.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/10/19/16488604/best-scariest-horror-podcasts-halloween

Here are the ones I don't think I've seen mentioned here:

Lake Clarity
Return Home
Lost Cat Podcast
Point Mystic

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

theblackw0lf posted:

Vox has an article up on recommended horror/thriller podcasts. Some good ones in there, and a couple I haven't heard of.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/10/19/16488604/best-scariest-horror-podcasts-halloween

Here are the ones I don't think I've seen mentioned here:

Lake Clarity
Return Home
Lost Cat Podcast
Point Mystic

Awesome, thanks for pointing this out. Spooked, Return Home, and Lost Cat seem like they'll be up my alley.

Though I'll nitpick and mention that although the article says that Life After works best as a sequel to The Message, but they're really completely standalone (Life After has a single reference to the events of The Message, but that's it). Even thematically they tread on different grounds. But still, both worth listening to.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I'm curious about Return Home, since it was one of the few podcasts I bounced off of hard because I thought the campy voice acting in the first few episodes was just awful. It was a shame since I really dug the Silent Hill atmosphere it felt like they were going for, but I just couldn't do it.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
The Bright Sessions is back and continues to be a charming character piece.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Just burned through Point Mystic. I really liked it, good production values. Next up is Lake Clarity.

I listened to Return Home when it first came out and then they had the long hiatus due to a computer crash and found I wasn't really missing it. It was an interesting story but apparently not enough to keep me going with it.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I don't think I've seen Gone mentioned here. It's by author Sunny Moraine and is pretty damned good so far. A woman wakes up one morning and everyone else in the world is gone. Things still work, like the power and internet, there's just no one else around.

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

Limetown season 2 has been announced! Out of nowhere, a teaser just showed up in my feed!

El Boot
Mar 18, 2009

Thank Dog It's Friday

Van Kraken posted:

Limetown season 2 has been announced! Out of nowhere, a teaser just showed up in my feed!

Came to post this. gently caress that was a creepy teaser

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Van Kraken posted:

Super disappointed in the teaser tbh, genric video game audio-log distorted bullcrap. Given how the first season managed to build so much tension with just straight interviews it seemed like bad sign to me

Rapid 99
Jan 30, 2015

Hero will never give up,
never hide,
never be defeated,
never accept evil.
The trailer for Magnus Archives season 3 also dropped.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
As did the announcement that PNWS wants to :regd08: Rabbits like they have with Black Tapes and Tanis. :argh:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

vortmax posted:

As did the announcement that PNWS wants to :regd08: Rabbits like they have with Black Tapes and Tanis. :argh:

I don't even know HOW you could continue Rabbits without ruining its ending.

Get a new set of characters, maybe?

Serf
May 5, 2011

I thought Rabbits had a satisfying conclusion. Why make more?

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

to hit the tedium mark they so narrowly missed in season 1

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Lmao PNWS inability to let stories end is loving comical at this point.

e: Season 4 of Mabel just started too.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
Speaking of which, one of the Black Tapes producers has a new podcast called The Big Loop that doesn't appear to be in-universe with the PNWS podcasts. It's roughly the same genre as Magnus Archives, with someone telling a long spooky story in the first person (they're talking to someone, but it's not clear who yet- maybe a therapist?). There's only one episode so far, and it's pretty good. The story is rather conventional in the broad strokes (though there was one twist at the end that I didn't see coming), but it's extremely well-done. The main character gives an intense performance and the fine details of the story are precisely chosen. Consider this an enthusiastic recommendation, at least for the first episode. We'll see if they can keep it up.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Totally agree on The Big Loop. Episode 1 was really good and I'm interested to see what they do with it. Apparently it's more anthology and less serialized.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I wish something would loving happen in the new Within the Wires season. Every single episode has felt like "Check out this painting. I'm pretty jealous of Claudia's personal and artistic success. Isn't our world weird? I wonder where she went. Fin." and I'm wondering when a conflict will arise.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

I wish something would loving happen in the new Within the Wires season. Every single episode has felt like "Check out this painting. I'm pretty jealous of Claudia's personal and artistic success. Isn't our world weird? I wonder where she went. Fin." and I'm wondering when a conflict will arise.

In the first chapters of 1984, you’re reading a story about Winston forming a forbidden romance with Julia and exploring a resistance movement while Orwell gradually reveals details of the world of Oceania. Then, around the middle of the book, he gives up subtlety and has a character literally read essays about society. While they’re interesting essays, it’s a huge narrative cheat that stops the momentum of the story. That’s basically what I feel about this season of Within the Wires. Season one was the relaxation tapes that developed an action-escape plot centered on a romance, with little tidbits hinting at the world. Season two is mostly an infodump of world-building and far less interesting characters. Of course, it took me a while to really get into season one, but even on a surface level the relaxation tapes were more engaging than the art exhibits.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

The guy who does Small Town Horror has an anthology podcast called Creepy which is just him reading Creepy-Pasta. It's ok, but this year they did '31 days of horror' with daily drops that was kinda cool, including a Slenderman with SomethingAwful shout out.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I am enjoying WTW, though there is some weird stuff about it. A lot of the more recent episodes kind of break suspension of disbelief as museum commentaries, what with how personal and conspiratorial they get. Plus the VA puts some weird stink on some lines that sound cool but are kind of out of nowhere and seem to ascribe more meaning to lines then is warranted. For example in the most recent episode the menacing tone and pause describing how the dog in a child's portrait was drawn with horizontal eyes.

Also it could due with being a bit more subtle? The narrator can barely contain their contempt for the artist and all but shouts 'THIS GOVERNMENT OFFICIAL DISAPPEARED CLAUDIA BECAUSE HER WORK WAS TOO CRITICAL OF THE REGIME', which again stretches the disbelief that these are actual museum commentaries that total randos are listening to on their nice trip to the art exhibit.

That said I am liking it a whole bunch, the narrator does good work and the whole thing has neat air about it.

ATribeCalledKvetch
Nov 5, 2010

I do hate myself, but it has nothing to do with being Jewish.
So Steal the Stars's finale was posted today, and hoo boy was it... underwhelmingly lame.

Pronounced
Aug 18, 2013

Gregoriev posted:

So Steal the Stars's finale was posted today, and hoo boy was it... underwhelmingly lame.

That’s maybe the nicest way of putting it. That end was the dumbest thing that could have possibly happened. Much like the end of HIMYM a decent thing was ruined by a terrible ending.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Agreed on the recommendation for The Big Loop. Whoever that voice actress was, she really sold it.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

calandryll posted:

Agreed on the recommendation for The Big Loop. Whoever that voice actress was, she really sold it.

Yeah I'm digging it so far. Why did I think this was PNWS?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

New Leaf posted:

Yeah I'm digging it so far. Why did I think this was PNWS?

It’s by one of the Black Tapes producers, but it doesn’t appear to be in the same shared universe.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Slamhound posted:

The Bright Sessions is back and continues to be a charming character piece.

Really enjoying it, but I hope there’s a solid endgame being built up to here. With all of the “heroes” together, Damien being held by the AM, and Sam wanting to put together an anti-AM, we’re treading dangerously close to... well... Heroes.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

vortmax posted:

Oh, you missed the best part: They're running a KICKSTARTER!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/270983716/rabbits-podcast

I love how there are people donating specifically so they can comment and point out every single criticism that they should have listened to already.

Fake Edit: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/270983716/rabbits-podcast/comments?cursor=18546169#comment-18546168

...not only are they making a point of ignoring the criticisms but they are STILL doing the loving idiotic "this is all real!" shtick? Fuuuuuuuck.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

smidgeonnn posted:

The trailer for Magnus Archives season 3 also dropped.

Aw yiss. Just relistened to the whole thing I've this week and appreciated some of the early hints and pointers they dropped early on.

AceOfFlames posted:

Holy loving lol, $50,000 for a second season of that?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

I love how there are people donating specifically so they can comment and point out every single criticism that they should have listened to already.

Fake Edit: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/270983716/rabbits-podcast/comments?cursor=18546169#comment-18546168

...not only are they making a point of ignoring the criticisms but they are STILL doing the loving idiotic "this is all real!" shtick? Fuuuuuuuck.

"Don't listen to critics, they're just jealous!"
"Yeah, we had to talk our totally real hacker friend out of going after those losers who have no lives."

The comments in question were as diplomatic as they could possibly be, and they still get told to just shut up and listen.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Jurgan posted:

"Don't listen to critics, they're just jealous!"
"Yeah, we had to talk our totally real hacker friend out of going after those losers who have no lives."

The comments in question were as diplomatic as they could possibly be, and they still get told to just shut up and listen.

That's the stupidest reply they could have made. Are they going to contact Anne Rice for recommendations on combating "critical readers"?

I liked Rabbits but I'm taking it off my subscribe list just for this. I'm not listening to garbage being shoveled by people who thought that passive aggressive whine was a good idea.

In the mean time Limetown is coming back!!!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Yeah, in a single bad response they've destroyed my opinion of them. :|

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Out of all the sins an artist can commit, being thin skinned in responding to a critic seems like a pretty minor one. If you like the show, that's a silly reason to stop listening to it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Sinteres posted:

Out of all the sins an artist can commit, being thin skinned in responding to a critic seems like a pretty minor one. If you like the show, that's a silly reason to stop listening to it.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect them to be respectful to backers?

Literally a "we're not accepting feedback at this time but appreciate the support" or similar would've been miles better.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Sinteres posted:

I think it's a sign of atrophy of thought that can lead to problems with the writing itself. If a writer refuses to accept feedback, then they fall into their worst impulses and no one can pull them back. See: Lucas, George. Granted, your response to anonymous critics is not necessarily the same as your response to collaborators, but it's a bad sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Jurgan posted:

I think it's a sign of atrophy of thought that can lead to problems with the writing itself. If a writer refuses to accept feedback, then they fall into their worst impulses and no one can pull them back. See: Lucas, George. Granted, your response to anonymous critics is not necessarily the same as your response to collaborators, but it's a bad sign.

Plenty of great art has been made by people telling everyone to gently caress off and disregarding dissenting opinions too though. George Lucas just happens to have been someone who needed collaborators to rein him in but didn't realize it. It's probably more common than the auteur who can pull off doing his own thing for sure, but assuming the work will suffer and ditching ahead of time while you still like it still seems weird to me.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect them to be respectful to backers?

Literally a "we're not accepting feedback at this time but appreciate the support" or similar would've been miles better.

If you're a backer and feel collectively disrespected or something I can see pulling your pledge if that bothered you, but if you're a free listener I still don't see why a snippy comment to someone is a big deal. I've never even listened to the show though, so I'm not going to defend them to the death for what was admittedly at least a bad PR move.