Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
I just started listening this last year, so this is the first season I’m listening to as it’s released. It’s staggering how high the quality of the show is with an episode every week, and 4 seasons in nonetheless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

How did Archive 81 turn out? I gave the first season a shot and it seemed a bit interesting albeit scattered. Then got S2.E1 and figured I’d rather burn my time elsewhere.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

I started a relisten from episode 1 a few months back and it’s mind blowing how interconnected things are from a very early stage. I do need to sit down with the wiki sometime though because I too get lost between characters and connections.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

IIRC they basically planned the whole thing out from the start, with a defined starting and ending point and a schedule for big reveals, and that's why Magnus Archives rules in all the ways The Black Tapes wanted to but failed to.

The Black Tapes only briefly showed promise. Tanis could have been something if they ever got their poo poo together. Rabbits miraculously succeeded when they failed to fund a second season (how the gently caress do you keep going after that??) And the Last Movie was a thing.

I do know that they had a firm plan for 5 seasons of TMA, but was not sure how much they had planned and set from the start and how much developed once they realized that they had the gas to take it through the end after the first season or two took off. Regardless of how they started out, they have succeeded. I do hope that they're able to churn their success from this into something bigger. My sense is that they turn little to no profit off of this and I would love to see them benefit from what they've created.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

How did season 2 end again?

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

cptn_dr posted:

Same.

I'm even okay with Peter Lucas's stilted delivery, since I think it kinda fits with the character.

I recently relistened to some earlier episodes though, and it's amazing how far Jonny Sims has came as a narrator though.

I started the series from episode 1 while waiting for this season to start. The season 3 climax calls back to the angler fish from the very first episode and being aware of some of the tertiary characters early on makes their small appearances a lot more meaningful.

However, I swear that he mistakenly calls Gerard “Jared” multiple times through the series, and having Mike and Michael existing as distinct characters was vexing.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

I'm pretty sure that "low level background noise" is just a trick to hide recording quality. C.f. the hiss of tape in TMA.

But in TMA it’s also a sign that a power is actively at work. Not sure if it was always there from season 1, but it’s absolutely used regularly now.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, the fact that a statement is an episode at all (until the characters twig to it and start using tape all the time) is because it's one of the ones that's real and the computer they use malfunctions when you recount a real supernatural experience.

It’s more specific than that. (Season 4 spoilers) when the archivist compels someone or in the case of Breakon extracts a statement, or when Mike induces vertigo on Jonathon etc, there’s a burst of static on the audio coninciding with active application of a power. It’s constantly staticky when Peter Lucas is around - I’m not clever enough to have figured out what this means yet. He did mention that he’s able to make himself invisible, maybe that?

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

New Leaf posted:

Yes but it goes on haitus for months at a time to come up with their next ultra short season that's mostly Nic recapping things, repeating what everyone says, talking really slowly, and peddling Bombas Socks.

While avoiding cultists and secret paramilitary thinktanks, I like to use the US Postal Service. Stamps.com(tm)

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

I believe Limetown is worth continuing. It’s a sharp turn from the first season but very closely connected.

I am not sure how much to make of the fact that there’s the Facebook series based on this in production. Maybe I’m worrying overly much but I do wonder if they are leaving certain elements of the story unexplored to be able to run it on the show originally and not spoil it with the podcast.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

I recently listened to the last 5 or 6 episodes of Tanis. There hadn’t been an episode on for awhile and I thought maybe they had finally run out of steam and closed things up. They started referring back to the original Tanis poem/essay thing and the plot started to lean slightly more apocalyptic. I was getting excited they might actually move the plot and come to some kind of conclusion.

Then they starting cramming in sensory deprivation tanks like they were going out of style, announced the next coming season moments after Nick sees himself (spooky!) following NPC #23 around and also announced new seasons of Rabbits and the Last Movie. Sigh

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Whoops, my mistake regarding rabbits. That episode of Tanis was long ago enough that the Rabbits Kickstarter hadn’t flopped yet.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

New Leaf posted:

I just have to know how it ends. I know it's trash, but it's entertaining trash.

Likewise. The last season ended with Nick covertly watching a reincarnated Rasputin and a copy of himself in a wetsuit going into a sensory deprivation tank.

I listened to it like 6 months after it aired and was briefly terrified by the postscript that there was actually going to be a second season of Rabbits.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

AstroZamboni posted:

What's weird is that even after the failed Kickstarter, they announced in December that they're going ahead with a second season of Rabbits anyway. So dafuq did they need the Kickstarter for? Terrible loving idea anyway. Rabbits actually had a good ending.

Got a link for this? Was trying to find mention of this and coming up short.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Len posted:

https://twitter.com/tkmiles/status/1145772312664264704?s=09

Can't they just things that work as one-offs stay one-offs?

To be fair, The Last Movie was not nearly as nearly tied up as Rabbits. It just felt like a microcosm of the overall PNW output with a smidge of closure but no real conclusion.

However up until this point I felt like I could write off any promises of those new seasons as miscommunications or misinterpretation. This is kinda shuts down any further attempts at denying the truth.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Anything PNWS just makes me go AAAAAA at this point.

Yeah, Bombas socks give me that cathartic relaxation too.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

New Leaf posted:

What about making a podcast entirely of commercials that have some underlying narrative keeping them together, like the reps are caught in a love triangle or are hunted by Lovecraftian horrors while reading their scripts. That could be fun.

This sounds like a Zack Parsons project (pun not intended.) Ever read the CONEX Connection series?

Edit: linked bettered

Ratatozsk fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 10, 2019

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Finally gave Archive 81 another run. For whatever reason, episode 1 of season 2 just turned me off but after hitting the fake NPR segment and its credits I'm on board.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

posted:

Amy and Evan, two interns at the PRA, start their own podcast called BCC to cover strange internet mysteries. They believe they've hit the jackpot with their pilot episode about a 2:76:00-long movie that seems to blink in and out of existence online. But when they (along with Nic and MK) dig a bit deeper, they find a clue that hints that this film and “The Last Movie” have something (or someone) sinister in common.

There is no system of measurement of time for which 2:76:00 or world in which the existence of this podcast makes any sense.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

So I had long assumed that Terry Miles voiced the theme songs to Tanis and TBT. But it’s somehow still disappointing to confirm this fact.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Trailer for Within the Wires Season 4 is up (on the website and at the end of latest WtNV) and sounds fantastic.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

I'm cautiously excited. I do wonder if the stuff in that clip from outside the 1st season is parallel to season 2 or after it.

I'm guessing there won't be a way to watch without ads? I've never Facebook Watched something before.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

You know how after Jon spoke to Gerry, the whole series was sort of in better focus? I think we'll have something like that next season about Gertrude and her activities. Something isn't right.

Seems a little bit late in the game given the five season plan. But that would be a great reason for another run of the series.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Ok, which one of you fuckers has stitcher and wants to hate listen to this thing in advance?

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

I was watching the episode numbers of the Magnus Archive and noticing that the end of the season was fast approaching. Was wondering when the ramp up towards the season finale was going to start and then this week’s episode hit. Very interested to see how this plays out.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

White Vault Season 3 has started

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Len posted:

I’m at the gym and one of the TVs has Ellen on it, the Limetown show is out?

Oh poo poo, I forgot about that. Just finishing season 1 of The Sinner which nabbed Biel an Emmy nod, will have to carve out time for Limetown.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

:tviv:

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Droyer posted:

Melanie, but yes.

Just realized that I had conflated those two as well. So it was Melaine who was thrall to the Slaughter from the ghost bullet and Daisy just kinda became a Hunter through work but severed her bonds in the Buried, right?

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

I watched the first two episodes of Limetown. Obviously production values are great but weirdly there’s a very noticeable cap on the resolution, making for a chunky picture even on just a computer screen. Also with managing flashbacks visually they’re showing a lot of the day-to-day life of Limetown even in Winona’s episode which is very different from how the story unfolds when it’s only audio.

Can’t see myself not finishing it, but also wanting a little bit more as that podcast was loving solid.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

The one that stands out to me is how often he is depicted with... acne scarring? Which, like, okay.

Anyways I don't really know of a good celebrity face match for Jon but Tim is Hughlander's av.

I think those are from Season 1’s worm attack.

So did Peter just explode or what?

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

Listen, buddy, we don't want to know if he died. We want to know if he exploded

Reasonable interpretation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brpUVlXt1f0

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Limetown episode 3 is just filler between Winona and the Reverend. Episode 4 with the Reverend and Napoleon is pretty strong. Still worth hanging around.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

I’m on episode 5. Does it seem like they’re setting up at the end to make season 2 also?

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

My hunch is they're setting up White Man to carry some/all of the season 2 load.

Have you listened to the podcast? Because there’s little to no casting overlap between seasons (though I do realize some plot twists would be foiled by how the Watch series is structured.) White Man doesn’t seem nearly charismatic enough to carry a scene, much less an episode.

Edit: I just realized that you’ve only watched to episode 6. In my mind I was projecting you to have finished the series, but that’s just not possible yet. Sorry for the confusion.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

TMA: huh. Well that certainly changes the landscape. Do we know the root of the earlier (correct) rumors that seem to have played out in this episode? It’s time for a relisten with present revelations in place and curious how much will stand out.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

On a relisten, Breekon and Hope show up in episode 2, as does the table and a post-script weird apartment building with only one person living in it.
Sadly the apartment goes unnamed, so unclear if it’s just nonspecifically creepy or connected to Peter Lucas.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

New Leaf posted:

There's a ton of little hidden things in the picture. I wish I had it larger so I could pick out more, but there's definitely the fire extinguisher with a creepy spider nearby, and a copy of "A Gift for Mr Spider" tucked away. I see another book that someone might recognize (I can't place it), plus what looks to be the blueprints of the building.

Take a look at the stained glass itself.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

The box on the left looks like a partially obscured “Lightless Flame”. There’s a small amulet or necklace above that which may have their symbol on it, but I may also have unconsciously conflated their described logo with the Yiga clan mark from Breath of the Wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

My hunch is they're setting up White Man to carry some/all of the season 2 load.

So...about that prediction...

Leah sure is something in this rendition of the story.