Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Qwerpline:
Serialized improvisational (!) comedy series from LoadingReadyRun. Small town talk radio from the bizarre town of Nsburg. Like the bastard offspring of Welcome to Night Vale and UHF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

New Leaf posted:

Spoilers for this week's Tanis: How old is this Eld Fen book supposed to be exactly? There's a letter from someone to HP Lovecraft about finding a copy that is seemingly in good shape despite its age, but it talks about a man driving a sedan on the highway. Lovecraft died in 1937, so how old could it possibly be? Like, 20 years?

I'm reasonably certain it's an out-of-place artifact, something unstuck in time. We already know time is very fluid where Tanis is concerned, what with Nic apparently living entire other lifetimes in "the other place."

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

I listened to the Tribulation Trailer a couple months ago and thought it sounded overly hokey and schlocky.

Today I started listening to the podcast itself and I'm pretty well hooked. I'm on episode 8 and enjoying it a lot.

ETA: The two big bads are vocal dead ringers for Alec Baldwin and Ian Holm.

AstroZamboni fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 30, 2017

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Totally agree on The Big Loop. Episode 1 was really good and I'm interested to see what they do with it. Apparently it's more anthology and less serialized.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Agreed. It was a good story, but they finished telling it.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

So for those of you who (reasonably) gave up on Tanis, Nic appears to be some kind of immortal dimensional conduit being who is destined to have some sort of boss fight against Grigori Rasputin and Nicolas Flamel and gods loving knows who else to keep D&Desque Cthulhu thing from causing a mass extinction.

There. You're caught up now. I also know you didn't ask. Well, too late. It's a thing you know now.

Why can't I stop listening to this train wreck?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

I'm not feeling good about our chances if this is the same guy who is confused by a rock.

Count me as Hashtag TeamRasputin!

His beard is dreamy! :allears:

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Limetown really set a quality benchmark that nobody's met yet. Jazzed to have it back.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Fuckin' A right it does.

Edited to add: I should mention that I read the Limetown novel. I dug it, personally. Doesn't so much contradict the first season as recontextualizes some of what happens. Also adds a LOT of added depth to the new season.

Edit 2: I should add that once you've read the novel, the whole "tell me about your dreams" thread will be a lot more unsettling. Also, the interrogations of Charlie are almost certainly taking place at the Eldridge.

Also, to say the novel ends with Lia trapped isn't exactly true because the end of the next chapter explains how she got out. And while it says she flunked out of college early on, there's something like a 7 or 8 year gap between the end of the novel and the beginning of the show, during which time I assume she went back to school so that she could more effectively continue the investigation.

AstroZamboni fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 10, 2018

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Montalvo posted:

Oh, you're right. So does that mean that the kids imagined a fire and drowned, so then Daniel got angry and set an actual fire going? I guess I kind of zoned out towards the end.

Emile was having a nightmare about the panic in Limetown, Daniel's daughter telepathically picked up on it, and it became a feedback loop waking nightmare for the children who believed the barge was on fire. Emile's recurring nightmares of Limetown fed into the children's existing fears of fire and Glass Joe, who the children believed burned Daniel's wife AND the people of Limetown.

It was a combination of the children's existing fear, Emile's nightmares, his deflection onto "Glass Joe" to explain the massacre at Limetown, and his insistence that EVERYBODY on the barge use the tech that led to all the children drowning. So Daniel loving snapped. Killed everybody on the bridge and then started hunting down everyone with the tech from Limetown. He's trying to erase the tech from history so it can't be replicated.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Spoilers for Limetown novel, explaining Lia's situation: Emile first met Allison Haddock at a research facility in Colorado called "The Eldridge," which was one of the early research facilities run by Oskar Totem. It studied people with unusual mental powers that he referred to as "precipients." Some, like Oskar, were mind readers. Some, like Allison, had dreams that could be seen as premonitions.

The Precipient thing is where the "tell me about your dreams" thread comes from. For some time, Emile was an "interviewer" at the Eldridge, where he would probe the minds of the other precipients while they told him about their dreams. He does this right up until he's imprisoned and forced to participate in experiments against his will, at which time he's rescued by Allison.

The research at the Eldridge, and then at another facility in Melbourne called "Menninger" (where Oskar eventually used Emile's abilities in the treatment of individuals with severe mental illness) was part of a larger scheme of Oskar's that went beyond the Limetown technology to study something he referred to as "telos." This was as much of a religious pursuit for Oskar as it was scientific.

Lia clearly inherited her mother's abilities, and one of the reasons IDS wanted her was because of practical applications for creating new technology, or possibly furthering Oskar Totem's larger overarching work to different ends. At least for some time, it appears she was kept at the Menninger facility.

AstroZamboni fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 17, 2018

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

I seriously doubt it. The creators have been consistently referring to this as the Season finale on Twitter, but who knows?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Limetown answer: Emile believes in bringing the tech to the world in spite of everything that happened (for mostly selfish reasons, because of how isolating being the only mind reader in the world can be), whereas Charlie's goal was burying the story of Limetown before it could develop further, which wound up being somewhat compatible with Daniel's ends as well. Remember, her stated objective as of the end of episode one was to kill Daniel, Emile and Lia because her job was to shield Eugene Demeter at IDS from criminal liability.

It's left somewhat ambiguous what the goal is that the people who have Lia are working towards, so it's possible that wherever she is, she can't be used towards making everybody like Emile, especially considering she's being kept for having a very different ability.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

New Leaf posted:

What the gently caress is going on with Tanis? I know they're doing a show or some poo poo but come on, finish out the drat podcast. Nic hasn't done poo poo since August of last year. It can't be hard to write a season, just pull up some esoteric Wikipedia page, tenuously string some nonsense theories together, and put in log silences and copious amounts of commercials.

Probably because Terry Miles (the producer who also voices the character of Nic) only makes the podcast between film directing jobs. He's a pretty active director-for-hire believe it or not.

His films are pretty terrible too, and he's got like three films on his docket this year.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

What's weird is that even after the failed Kickstarter, they announced in December that they're going ahead with a second season of Rabbits anyway. So dafuq did they need the Kickstarter for? Terrible loving idea anyway. Rabbits actually had a good ending.

As for the Terry Miles production schedule thing, that was scuttlebutt on Twitter from other Vancouver podcasters. Dunno as to the veracity.

Count me as in the still entertained by Tanis' nonsense camp. I have kinda weird reasons though. In my late teens I was obsessed with shortwave numbers stations and was writing a screenplay about them for my own amusement, but could never figure out how to end it and abandoned it. The plot was thus;

The relatives of a mentally unstable man who committed suicide discover a secret in his basement; thousands of obsessively catalogued recordings of numbers stations. Going over his tapes and notes, they discover that the recordings contain geographical clues that lead to a secret laboratory in the desert Southwest surrounding an interdimensional portal that is a fountain of paranormal activity and potentially the source of all human mythology. Different cabals of scientists and religious leaders were jockeying for control of it.

There were even plot points involving Jack Parsons and Scientology, and secret messages being sent by SciFi fan fiction message boards (Battlestar Galactica in my story). So basically it was Tanis with a few of the details changed. It seems like the other people who got the same idea years later can't figure out how to end the story either!

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Ratatozsk posted:

Got a link for this? Was trying to find mention of this and coming up short.

It was in an announcement episode they uploaded on both the Rabbits and Tanis podcast feeds on Christmas day.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/tanis/id1049183167?mt=2&i=1000426492490

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Ratatozsk posted:

Ok, which one of you fuckers has stitcher and wants to hate listen to this thing in advance?

I've already volunteered as tribute.

The Last Movie season 2 has already wrapped up. They're doing weekly episode releases on Stitcher so it'll probably be arriving on iTunes somewhat sooner than expected. TLM season 2 was an interesting story that actually made much more sense than last season, but was also more of a connected spin-off story. Two really annoying new interns are the main characters this time with Nick and MK playing backup. Nick sounds unbelievably loving tired and checked-out the whole time, but that actually winds up being foreshadowing for the season premiere of Tanis.

The story follows a bizarre film that keeps appearing and disappearing in the YouTube "important videos" playlist that has an incongruous/impossible listed runtime of 2 hours and 76 minutes. After managing to capture an offline clip of one of the scene in the movie, they discover that it's impossible. There are people in it who disappeared in 1995, devices on screen that weren't available until 1998, designer outfits that didn't exist until 2015, was apparently written by someone who disappeared in 2017, and shot by Salvador Lorenzo, who appeared to have died in the first season of The Last Movie. Everybody directly involved seems to have been brought into the project by a headhunting email and disappeared shortly thereafter. Then the PRA folks discover the clip appears to be mutating and changing before their eyes.

They conclude that the movie is a cancerous idea that emerged from the zeitgeist and managed to become a sentient entity in some capacity that exists outside of time, sucking people and detritus in like a katamari to grow and evolve.

The season premiere of Tanis is kind of odd. Apparently after the end of last season, Nick was found wandering on a side of a road in northern Russia with no idea how he got there, and once he's returned to the states poo poo gets really crazy and he tries to hide away a bit. He learns that during his sleep therapy, his therapist was intravenously dosing him with a cocktail of hallucinogens while he was under hypnosis. Both Teslanova and Section seem to have totally withdrawn from the area and activity in the beach seems to have subsided. Nick is left to wonder if he "assembled the map and saved the world" as Veronika had told him to, and simply had no memory of it and had been subsequently shat out by Eld Fen on the side of the road in Russia.

On top of that, his doctor is EXTREMELY concerned for his brain, and he decides he's done. Then things start happening that pull him back in. He's visited by a pair of "men in black" types claiming to be from Section, who invite themselves in to read a prepared statement on tape and then leave fairly abruptly. Then, MK locates another buried novel manuscript called "Pacifica," seemingly unconnected to Morgan Miller's novel, but has relevance to the investigation. Another drat manuscript to dole out chapters over the air.

Finally, one of the MIB from Section visits Nick in an off-the books capacity to ask for his help. His daughter went missing while exploring another breach called the "Garrison anomaly" in northern British Columbia, and hopes he can use Nick's weirdo abilities to find her.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

So does TLM season 2 actually connect to season 1 in a meaningful way? Is it good?

It's tangentially connected. I'd say it's better than the first season overall. More coherent and interesting story.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Season 5 of Tanis just wrapped up. It was interesting. I'll post a breakdown of everything that happened, but it'll take a while to write up.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

I've finally jumped on the Magnus train. Y'all are right. It's loving good. I'm up to the beginning of season three and binging while Earth is closed for business.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Everything got relabled to "season 3 mid-season finale" back in January but nobody's said anything about more episodes being made. Who dafuq knows.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Azathoth posted:

New episode of Tanis just dropped. Let the hate listening commence

Spoiler: I'm not hate listening, I still enjoy it.

You're not alone. It may be baffling utter nonsense that's spinning its wheels, but by god it's my kind of baffling utter nonsense that's spinning its wheels.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

I'm appallingly late on the Magnus bandwagon and I've been furiously binging trying to finish ahead of the finale. I finally finished my catch-up on Monday.

Didn't see the finale of season 4 coming. Loved the more experimental and abstract bent of season 5, even though one episode hit me in a very uncomfortable place.

It's a hell of a show. Regardless of how it ends, they made something special.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah they really stuck the landing. Amazing show.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

https://youtu.be/13UVN1CP-08

Y'all should find that hilarious.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Ratatozsk posted:

I mean, I'm gonna hate consume every PNW thing that comes out so that i can come here and kvetch about it. But Rabbits was a legit quality single season and the idea of wringing another season of content out of it is depressing. That said, I am curious about the book. Anyone here bought it?

I pick it up from the library this afternoon. I'll let y'all know if it's at all worthwhile. I'm at least hoping the experience of working with an editor will sand off some of Miles' hemming and hawing.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

I'm about halfway through the Rabbits novel and working with an editor has indeed managed to temper a lot of Miles' hemming and hawing tendencies. It still reads like his distinctive contrived voice, but it's tightened up by a lot.

It takes an interesting direction. You know the slightly "wrong" works of art in season 1 that seem like discrepancies or deviated from the way things were known to be?

The novel itself is one of those wrong works of art in the context of the podcast, because it establishes early on a major discrepancy with the way the story of the podcast went, and slowly seems to be weaving back connections to that "timeline."

I'll update when I'm done reading. Also, a bunch of pages have Morse code messages that probably lead to some loving sort of ARG but I'm too tired to translate that poo poo right now. I'll get around to it eventually.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

I'm really enjoying the Archive 81 TV show, except I nerd raged hard when Jess referred to a generic 90mm refracting telescope as "an Orion SkyQuest." IT MOST DEFINITELY WAS NOT. An Orion SkyQuest is an 8" dobsonian reflector that wasn't even on the market when the show takes place. I would know, I have one in my goddamn living room.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Azathoth posted:

I want to give you a wedgie so bad right now.

Perfectly understandable.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Has anybody else listened to "What Happened in Skinner?" I'm about halfway through the series and enjoying it so far.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Update: Just finished listening to What Happened in Skinner. GET IT IN YOUR EARHOLES NOW.

In the first couple episodes you might think it's copying Black Tapes and Tanis. Nothing could be further from the truth. It's like what Black Tapes could have been with a competent writer, impeccable production and acting, and a well thought out plot with good pacing. It's also got something to say. On the surface it's a mystery investigation into a religious cult on an island off the Oregon coast that takes on supernatural elements as the story goes on. Beneath that it's layers of metaphors about the false binaries of religion and capitalism that turn people against each other. And it sticks the landing HARD with well-built tension through the entire series leading up to the finale.

Absolute loving masterpiece. Got through listening to the final episode and gave it a goddamn standing ovation with tears in my eyes.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Definitely check out the supplementary videos and reddit posts linked from the website. It'll make everything going forward much clearer.

Edit:
I'm going back to the beginning and listening to it from the beginning now that I know the context of everything I'm hearing and I'm getting a whole new appreciation for just how well it's plotted. Also it incorporates mild ARG elements in a few YouTube videos and Reddit posts, as well as websites referenced in the podcast. Kinda like what Terry Miles tries and fails to do.

This doesn't hem and haw. It definitely has a clear beginning, middle and end with a banger of an ending. This might be my favorite fiction podcast now.

AstroZamboni fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 29, 2022

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Every sketch ABK makes is goddamn genius and y'all should be following him on YouTube. He's also sneaky and likes to hide gags in the subtitles in some of his videos so be aware of that poo poo.

His David Lynch Jack Daniels commercial is brilliant.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Y'all need to check out "Modes of thought in anterran literature"

It's pretty good

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Definitely better than baseline. It's an interesting premise executed in a unique way, as a series of lectures by a tenured professor of archeology teaching about an advanced lost civilization that allegedly existed 80,000 years ago.

He's able to teach the class because he has tenure, and everybody thinks he's either insane or doing some sort of weird performance art. That is, until it gradually starts to seem as if he might be telling the truth.

There's only about a dozen fifteen-minute episodes thus far and it's a breezy listen.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Hughlander posted:

Hey in better(?) news, Terry Miles has a feature film coming https://www.imdb.com/title/tt28015371/ staring Felicity Smoak as calamity jane, and Oliver Queen as Wild Bill...

He's made several. Dude was making mediocre movies before he was making mediocre podcasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Listening to a lot of old TMA and does that Glasgow Willy Wonka thing feel like the shenanigans of The Stranger to anybody else?