Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

It's more of a minor player, but Mr. Biggs is back, and he's talking about adhesives.

http://askmrbiggs.com/category/stick-it-with-mr-biggs/

The original Ask Mr. Biggs was a spoofed radio call-in show that ran until 2012, with Mr. Biggs, sort of a combination of Hank Hill's mechanical know-how, a know-it-all alpha male neighbor, with a reverse-Jerky-Boys thing. The show would take old recordings of phone calls to actual radio shows, chop up the caller's script, and paste it in within the context of Biggs' show.

I don't know if it was ever hilarious, but I liked it, and it had some light world-building. Good background noise for getting work done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I got tired of Night Vale myself for similar reasons (not gonna argue about pandering, but it definitely drifted away from what I liked about it, and everything else Fink does has a similar touch), but I just listened to something else instead. You might just wanna try audiobooks.

I've been listening to audio dramas since I was a kid. My dad had these tapes of old radio shows from the 30's. They all have more than a touch of melodrama and overacting. It's either just part of the heritage or something that flowers from the medium itself.

Audiobooks are great. You can go as high or low brow as you want, and many of them are read by decent actors. Pick a detective story or something that you'd never read but could maybe listen to. Or listen to old radio shows. I recommend anything by Stan Freeberg or Jack Benny, or if you want to go all self-serious, do Lights Out Everyone or The Shadow or Dragnet.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 13, 2017

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

then there's the sound of the play button being pushed, which I guess means that I'm listening to these tapes or something, but why don't i also hear myself putting the cassette in the deck and pushing it closed? or did sims splice in the sound of the play button being pressed in editing the tapes??? Or are each of these recordings only 13 minutes long and then he records a 30-second supplemental on a whole other tape, I mean that's just so wasteful. But if it's on one tape, why is the play button being pushed again? At the end of each story, am I, the listener, pressing Stop, then immediately Play again so I can hear the supplemental?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I always thought it was a contrivance to use some nice background sound effects. I'm cool with it in a series that features haunted books and a ghost trap table. A tape recorder beats using a typewriter or wax cylinder Ediphone.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

The delivery of the characters in TMA always sounds like people reading competently off of a script to me rather than recollecting something that actually happened to them on the fly, but--my stars--it's free and fun to listen to. You're probably wondering how they eat and breathe, and other science facts.

Since we're on nitpicking, I really enjoyed the seriousness and ACTING ART of Bronzeville, but something in the delivery of the actors often made it seem to me like they were mostly recording in separate rooms at separate times and editing a lot of it together. It was good, but again my history of listening to radio dramas goes back to old 30's and 40's stuff, where it was always dudes in a room, broadcasting live. The rehearsedness and editing takes me out of podcast drama sometimes. I can sometimes even hear where the cuts are.

But I might be full of it. Still having fun. We're in a golden age, folks.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 22, 2017

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

If they wanna distribute season 3 via dreams, I'm receiving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

HIJK posted:

I’m waiting until Magnus is done to listen to it. It lost me when Jon got kidnapped several times in a row and I had to remember the indistinguishable names of several supporting characters I didn’t care about. However the plot is still interesting so once its done I can binge it.

Hey, me too. I also don't have the mental bandwidth to consume a buncha good audio stories at the moment. For some reason, reading actual books is way easier right now. Plus, I just like having them around. They smell nice and there's just something about the heft of a good-sized book that

I'm gonna go buy some more books after this post. Like, I get 'em home, and it just... doesn't feel like I got the right one yet. Weird. Oh well.

Anyway, I'm also saving the mp3 files in case they vanish behind a paywall at some point.