Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Opinions so edgy they could cut you:
Night Vale - Good
Alice Isn't Dead - Good
Within the Wires - Good
Orbiting Human Circus - Bad
Conversations with People who Hate Me - Bad

I started the Magnus Archives not long ago (just finished ep18), and I'm enjoying it so far. There have been little bits of a larger plot dropped in that you guys say will develop into something; I'm looking forward to that.

Archive 81 is awesome, both seasons. As is their little one-off podcast The Deep Vault. Is there more Archive 81 coming? I thought the end of season 2 was a pretty satisfying conclusion.

I've also been impressed at how Sayer managed to continue after the end of season 3.

I don't know why I'm still listening to The Black Tapes and Tanis. I guess I hope they'll go somewhere eventually? I'm also hoping they never do more of Rabbits, because that was a nicely self-contained story with a solid end. And yeah, PNWS is the undisputed master of the overly-dramatic pause.

If you like Myths and Legends, be sure to try his new series, Fictional. It's retelling of stories from famous literature (Sherlock, Dante's Inferno, etc) in his rather unique style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
I'll put it this way:
Whether or not PNWS makes more, the current ten episodes of Rabbits tell a complete story. It has some of the flaws of their other shows, and it does get weird, but I thought it was their best effort yet.

vortmax fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 16, 2017

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

AceOfFlames posted:

I've been going through a binge over the last week on TMA. I ended up waking in the middle of the night at some point and when I went to get a drink of water, I was dead convinced that some monster was going to pop out of a corner and kill me or worse.

It's a good podcast.

I've been binging it too lately, since I started reading this thread, and I'm almost 3/4 through season 2. I'm really loving all the callbacks to earlier episodes, and the suggestion that there's a lot more to the Archive than we know. Like how apparently there have been other Archives going back thousands of years?

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

As did the announcement that PNWS wants to :regd08: Rabbits like they have with Black Tapes and Tanis. :argh:

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

Maybe It Makes a Sound is good, but the first episode was just so terrible there's very little chance I'm going back. If they decided to make it deliberately bad then consider it a ringing endorsement of just how well they were able to make an unenjoyable product.
:same: I gave it four episodes before I quit. It's just not my thing.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Archive 81 started season 3 today, introducing some new (main?) characters and their story. I like it already.

please remember that all stories are fragments

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Jurgan posted:

People said the same thing about Rabbits, but they brought it back.

New Leaf posted:

Its money, guys.

I quit listening to the PNWS podcasts for this exact reason. Especially after they decided to continue Rabbits, which felt like a fully-contained story. They stopped having interesting stories to tell and chased the money instead.

I am absolutely in love with Archive 81 though, and I can't wait to see where it goes. Every season has been a very different way of expanding the universe they've built, but it builds on the previous one. I'm really considering listening to the whole thing again before this season finishes.

Also, is anyone else excited about the new season of Sayer?

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Len posted:

The Static Man sounds pretty chill for an Eldritch Horror
Anybody (thing?) that likes Popeye's biscuits is cool with me. :cenobite::hf::hai:

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Okay Arrhythmia you've convinced me to check out Eskew. You have good taste in podcasts. I will report back.

Also I re-listened to all of Archive 81 before I listened to episode 6 of the new season, and it reminded me of a lot of little details that are showing up now, especially in ep6. Like I totally forgot that The Curator sent a message to its representative by making him throw up a cassette tape back in season 2.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Ornamented Death posted:

Goddamn Eskew is weird as hell. I love it.
:same:
I caught up and now I have to wait for more :cry:

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Len posted:

That's pretty lovely.
It made me really glad I downloaded all of the Beyond Belief episodes a while back.

Len posted:

I would listen to an entire season about Lou the pirate
I'm hoping that's season 4!

Is anyone else going to relisten to Limetown S1 before S2 starts? It's only about 3 hours.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

I too listened to Limetown again in preparation for the new season, and I forgot just how much they packed into less than four hours of audio. PNWS could have cribbed even more from them in that way. I also didn't remember that the main plot points were introduced so early.
I can't wait for more Archive 81

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Len posted:

What the hell? I didn't catch the entire ad but the radio just had a recorded ad that mentioned Black Tapes and Lore

Edit: 106.5 the lake a Cleveland based iHeartRadio station with no djs

iHeart is promoting their app for listening to podcasts now, so it was probably that.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Len posted:

Season 2 dropped.

The tv show is Facebook Watch exclusive. What the hell is Facebook Watch?

And the first episode is fantastic.

Facebook Watch is their answer to Netflix and Amazon Video.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

I haven't actually watched any of the Facebook shows, I just know they exist because Facebook keeps advertising them to me. I'll give the Limetown show a try though. Season 2 of the podcast is off to a great start.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Holy poo poo goddrat Limetown keeps getting better with every episode. :aaaaa:

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

I can only think of two questions left unanswered at this point:

1) How did Emile get Charlie and her tapes?
2) Where is Lia Haddock?

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

If Limetown ends here, I will be satisfied. I'm not sure where people are getting the idea that it's like Lost. We even know what happened to Lia. Everything makes sense to me, and maybe I'm forgetting something (I do plan to listen again from the start soon) but I think all the important loose ends are tied up. I love that final episode.

If you want to talk comparisons to Lost, let's talk about Tanis...

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

bartlebee posted:

What the hell happened in the tag of this last episode?

That was Lia in some facility. One of the stories Charlie told was true.

vortmax fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 17, 2018

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Squack McQuack posted:

Incoming whine post.
The Limetown season finale sucked butts.

*Let's walk around. Narrate what you are looking at.
*Why?
*Just do it!
I'll admit, I thought that was a poor choice to handle the problem of "we can't show you this so we'll have to describe it in detail to build the picture in your head."

How about that new episode of Eskew? I can't decide if The Witness is supposed to be (a version of?) David or not.
Also I was listening to them again recently, and I swear episode nine used to be different. But I can't remember what it was. Maybe that's just me.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Len posted:

Has anyone checked out this First Mrs Claus podcast? The No Sleep podcast had episode 1 in the feed and it's certainly a thing. Santa is actually a stingy Jewish man obsessed with money named Ari.
Like everything from the Darkest Night group so far (the other being Deadly Manners), it's seriously over-the-top and ridiculous and not good, but somehow intriguing enough to keep me interested. I've enjoyed the story of Darkest Night despite the aggressively gruesome events, and I liked Deadly Manners up until the reveal at the end. (Seriously, Communism was just a red herring!?) I've only heard the first episode, but I'll probably keep listening.

Arrhythmia posted:

My take was it was just a rando watching what would become Eskew get built.
I thought as much too, but given the way things tend to.......slip in Eskew, and with the things behind The Witness's walls, I thought it could still be our man David.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Len posted:

Did Small Town Horror ever get good?
No. No it did not.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Honestly I was pretty disappointed with the ending of Alice Isn't Dead. There wasn't much of an explanation for anything, or even really a resolution. And I liked that series too.

But speaking of Night Vale Presents shows, what do we think of Adventures in New America? I really like it so far but I'm reserving final judgement until I see where it goes.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

Eskew feels like Night Vale but somehow even more self-satisfied and obnoxious and unclever.
You are welcome to your bad and wrong opinion.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

I absolutely love S2 of Limetown, but you'll find a lot of varying opinions on it. I think it worked well to describe the events for the tech and the people after Limetown S1. And while it sorta ends on a cliffhanger, we do learn what happened to Lia Haddock.

Also I loved the latest episode of Eskew. David finally gets a bit of control over things, only to see how dangerous that can be.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Eskew continues to get better with every episode.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

New 3 episode mini series of Archive 81 started today. Road trip adventure with Nicholas and Staticman. It's exactly what you expect and it's great.

This is fantastic and I had to yell at Nick out loud for falling for his mother's voice and crashing the car and then getting out of the car. But it worked out?

Also I love the employee of Moody's and hope they can get her out as well.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

People still listen to Tanis!? :aaa:

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

I gave up on everything from PNWS after the disastrous ending of The Black Tapes and their (happily failed) attempt to make a second season of Rabbits, which was a perfectly good completed stand-alone story. I don't think any of them knows how Tanis ends, which puts it clearly in Lost and Battlestar Galactica territory ie not worth finishing.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

gently caress the public radio alliance. Tanis has "released" a new season.

:yikes:

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Is anyone else worried that Eskew will never update again? It's been two months since they released the latest episode. I've listened to the whole series twice since then.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Hughlander posted:

Weird new episode of eskew just dropped

I hope this isn't the end of Eskew, but if it is, it's a very good ending. I love this series so much :swoon:

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

theblackw0lf posted:

Have you listened to I Am In Eskew yet?
It's this. This is what you want next. And it's a good time to start because it seems like the "first season" is done. Maybe.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

New Leaf posted:

If you dig Magnus and the like check out Old Gods of Appalachia. It's a new horror anthology podcast with an elder gods meets backwoods Appalachia bent with a fantastic narrator/storyteller. I'm absolutely enthralled so far and there's only a few episodes out.
I am loving this :swoon:

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

The people behind Eskew are starting a new series, and they're taking auditions for characters.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

A couple of images that came with their email today:

No idea what it means, but I really love the second one.

PS they want you to take a survey about what kind of Patreon rewards you'd like.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Arrhythmia posted:

Unfortunately for you, I Am In Eskew is basically the high water mark for the "podcast audio fiction" medium at the moment.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Arrhythmia posted:

The newest darling is Old Gods of Appalachia

And it's fantastic

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Ratatozsk posted:

Oh god the plot is deathly stupid. Although listening at 1/2 speed they all sound completely appropriate. Drunk idiots, but appropriate drunk idiots.

If you didn't see the phrase "Tanis people" and immediately ignore the rest of the post I feel sorry for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

The Eskew makers have a new podcast

https://www.thesiltverses.com/

The first episode is very promising. I'm excited to see where it goes.