Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Jurgan posted:

Trying to decide what to binge next. Does Homecoming ever get good? I listened to the first couple episodes and it was really boring, plus there was this uncomfortable "depressurization" sound effect whenever they change scenes.

No it doesn't. I got a few episodes into season 2 and it's just garbage. Nothing happens and the narrator is completely unlikable. I gave up when the narrator gets arrested for the "murder" of his ex-girlfriend and all I could think was 'good, gently caress him and I hope he burns in hell too'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

New Leaf posted:

I don't know what the ending meant, but to me the whole thing was trying to show how important John was to the Institute since nobody else can get a coherent statement out of people.

I really appreciated this episode. I take statements every day and normal people suuuuck at describing just about anything.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
I started listening to Alexandria Archives and I'm only a few episodes in. It's interesting so far but the audio balance is terrible. Does that improve over time?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Elblanco posted:

I'm really jonesing for some fictional true crime/mystery stories right now. Thinking like a fictional version of serial. Anyone know a good one? Or something else that might be similar?

I enjoyed "This Sounds Serious", its satirical and absurd.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Len posted:

I don't think he himself has shown up before but the Lucas family has popped up as a behind the scenes player. They had stake in that occult freighter, something to do with the spooky satellite, and I believe donate to the Institute

Donate takes on a new meaning.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Yes, it's been mentioned in a few previous statements.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

mariooncrack posted:

I think I gave up less than halfway through it.

Did anyone else listen to this sounds serious? It's a parody of the true crime podcasts. It's coming back for season 2 in a few days.

https://www.thissoundsserious.com/

I listened to the whole thing and while the ending was predictable getting there was entertaining.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Arrhythmia posted:

The one that stands out to me is how often he is depicted with... acne scarring? Which, like, okay.

Anyways I don't really know of a good celebrity face match for Jon but Tim is Hughlander's av.

Those are from the worms that attacked him in season 1.

Deffo exploded, like Scanners.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

boo_radley posted:

Do you have too much blood? Is your soul taking up way too much space in your body? Do you need more money? How about sway over your fellow man? Call 1-888-CLOVEN-HOOF today!

Get the respect you deserve! Power, fame, and more! That's 1-888-CLOVEN-HOOF! Call now!

The phone number doesn't work.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
In Martin's defense, John is also not qualified for his job. Either of them.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Amazing.

I started my relisten from beginning too late, only about half way through season 2. It's amazing how many hints there are just on little turns of phrase or word choice for what we find out later.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Was it in iambic pentameter?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Giant Ethicist posted:

Re the latest Magnus Archives,

I kind of agreed with Distortion!Helen calling out Jon (and by proxy the show itself, really) for putting so much weight on the character of Helen. For someone who only showed up once as a statement-giver before taking on her current role, and has only really been in a handful of episodes at all, Jon and Martin both seemed to treat their relationship with her with a lot more gravity than anything in the story itself ever gave it - both of them, Martin especially, seemed to have this deep important relationship with her, while again Martin especially barely interacted with her as a non-avatar.

For all that we're only a dozen episodes from the end of the series, it doesn't really feel like we're really moving towards anything yet, aside from every week yet again reinforcing that post-Apocalypse earth is indeed pretty lovely and killing off (or sparing, according to Jon's whim in the moment) various long-running characters.

They did have a relationship with Michael and what was done to Helen was done right in front of them so I can see that enhancing the connection.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
What's the name of this show?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Any others that fit that bill?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

mariooncrack posted:

The Lovecraft Investigations is coming back with season 4.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0glb9px

Teaaboo HP Lovecraft would be very happy about this.