Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
The Limetown TV series makes some weird changes

Spoilers for up to episode 6:

1. Lia is a creepy pervert
2. She has a white male sidekick now for reasons
3. This white male sidekick is a serious journalist who stands up for the story's integrity
4. Lia is not and manipulates the story to her own advantage
5. Lia is willing to blackmail her boss by exposing thier affair to keep loving with the story (see #1)
6. Emile’s season 1 role is beefed up to accommodate casting the Tuche
7. The threw in some more dead ends to pad the runtime and get Lia nekkid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

My hunch is they're setting up White Man to carry some/all of the season 2 load.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Ratatozsk posted:

Have you listened to the podcast? Because there’s little to no casting overlap between seasons (though I do realize some plot twists would be foiled by how the Watch series is structured.) White Man doesn’t seem nearly charismatic enough to carry a scene, much less an episode.

Edit: I just realized that you’ve only watched to episode 6. In my mind I was projecting you to have finished the series, but that’s just not possible yet. Sorry for the confusion.

I've listened to the whole thing and I completely agree with you. My hunch is that the sudden shift in perspective was a problem to be solved and White Man is the way to do it and pad out season 2 through a "search for Lia" plot. But yes, it stinks!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I'm also mad that they cut the bit with Lia's mom and the phone call coming from inside the house. That part really creeped me out.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Ratatozsk posted:

So...about that prediction...

Leah sure is something in this rendition of the story.

Welp. Jessica Bleah is a straight villain . I'm watching episode 9 now and I want to throw poo poo.

1. Leah's "reaction" to generic white producer's death leads me to believe this isn't the first time she's killed.
2. Why on earth is the Tooch talking to Leah outloud in the cafe when the whole crux of their special relationship was telepathy.
3. loving Tooch "I finally found you." She's been at work, the same place where you apparently directed innocent survivors to their death or detriment.
4. loving Tooch 2: "I had no idea that the people who straight up murdered half of our scientist town would resort to MURDER!
5. loving Tooch 3: Please don't talk to this woman you will die but no I won't risk my safety by giving you all the answers that you could get from her.
6. Leah has hosed every named non-familiar character in her personal life.
7. They cut the tour guide hooker for no reason.

Edit: hey remember how Interpol was so on the loving spot that they followed Leah to BFE and the FBI raided NPR hours ago? Guess they took the night off of tailing her.

gently caress the TV show is stupid compared to the podcast. To the extent that it adds things, the things are dumb.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 14, 2019

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

It's a hatewatch for me, though seeing a visual companion to the really good pieces of sound engineering (the ones that they didn't cut) from the podcast is fun.

Edit: actually now that I think about it, almost all of the filler bullshit seems to pad the mini-episodes into a full runtime. If you liked the podcast, just watch 1, 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10. That basically demotes Generic White Guy to a featured extra with like 4 lines and avoids a lot of the questionable choices they made for Leah.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 14, 2019

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Also I'm working my way up to the end of season 3 of the Magnus Archives and I noticed the point that there haven't been any successful rituals since the industrial revolution.

That made me wonder if there are, or were, other entities that are better hidden, less noticable or and this is the idea that messed with my headentities that have been successful in changing the world.

Like in MAG 116, I think that you could make the case that the ritual succeeded, at least in part. It occurred right when industrialization took off. The relationship with man and machine changed. It wasn't successful enough to let the Stranger completely in, but the world still changed.It felt like a complete failure at the time because the people who experienced the aftermath did so in a world that had been remade.

A dancing robot and clockwork birds wouldn't generate madness or even necessarily fear today, but the modern unknowing is way more indicative of modern concerns of the melding of man and machine versus the existence of machines themselves.

Maybe this gets addressed in Season 4 but it really made me think.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 15, 2019

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Finished TMA this morning. It's fantastic, and I'm really interested in the emergence of the Extinction. I can see how it started up as a parts of the Desolation from back in the 60's when everyone was going to die in nuclear hellfire, and moved to encompass the Stranger's fear of mechanical people melding together.

My hunch is that the other entities are not going to happy to be subsidiaries of the Watcher and will Simms will find himself with some very unpalatable allies. Moreover, I suspect the Spider and the End are working to put Gertrude back on the board .

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

People who played FF6 itt

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

That actually makes me wonder if Gertrude was trained either and, if so, her mess was 100% deliberate (we know it was later on at least.)

They are/were perfectly trained for their job, that job being data entry.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

My one complaint is with TMA is that the converging storylines create a single layer of extradimensional horror. While I'm fine with things being connected, I really wish that they'd occasionally brush up against something that's like "oh no that's the varsity, we know very little about them and what we do is pretty clear do not investigate/gently caress with. Just back out of the room slowly and hope we don't draw it's interest."

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

TMA 502: When the Archivist kept rewinding to Gertrude saying "I don't think so" I was convinced he found an edit. I didn't find the line elsewhere in the recording though.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

So Shadowrun, then?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Well that's a wrap on not-Sasha then. It's weird to think that our hero, the Archivist, is essentially Randall Flagg. He may have more power than Jonah Magnus himself.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Fell flat for me. They can get to the Lovecraft factory any time now.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The new season just feels too much like 50 floors of fright. *ding* burned *ding* lonely *ding*. There's no mystery to put together, no danger to the characters, no reason to put Martin through these horrors other than the Archivist not being assed to go around.

I'd love to see the spider or the extinction shake things up a bit, but all the other powers so far seem perfectly content with their own manifest sublets in the Eye's new order.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I'm getting a sinking suspicion that the Archivist is the monster at the end of TMA.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

TMA theory: Martin is a sacrifice, and the tour of horribles is a ritual by which the Eye's control over reality is solidified. John is a willing participant.

Jonah is already dead.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 26, 2020

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

TMA on a 6 week hiatus after this episode, which is less a cliffhanger than cliff adjacent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I highly recommend you save Limetown season 1, specifically episode 4 for late at night, in pitch darkness with a moderate fever.