Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I hope that King Falls isn’t ending. I don’t think it’s great, but it’s an enjoyable enough show and ending where it is now would feel incomplete. I can definitely see this as a start to a new arc, and perhaps a way to help invigorate the show, which has gotten a bit stagnant and “wacky.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

I recently listened to Palimpsest, and I really enjoyed it. The first season was 10 episodes of character focused ghost story that wrapped up quite well and had some really well done character development. I highly recommend it! There’s a second season coming, but the ending of the first season seemed fairly definitive, I’m not sure what to expect for the second.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

theblackw0lf posted:

So Season 3 is pretty disconnected from 1 and 2 then?

Season 3 is in a different part of the setting that had been established in the first two seasons, and barring some cameos, focuses on an entirely new cast of characters.

Edit: Season 3 is also significantly higher in quality than the first two seasons. The first didn’t stand out much from the Serial inspired paranormal horror podcasts of the time, and the second was too detached from reality to have as much impact as it should have. This third one is really good, and these lead characters have just the right combination of knowing things and not knowing things, while being placed into some truly interesting unpleasant circumstances.

Meinberg fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 16, 2018

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Sekenr posted:

What do you guys think of Big Data? http://bigdata.show/

Aside from unfortunate name that makes it get lost among actual big data resources, its pretty brilliant. Basically 2 journalists got a flash drive full of recordings concerning a worldwide conspiracy to steal "the 7 keys to the internet". Basically if you start listening and are on the fence, listen till the end of chase sequence from ep 1, its hilarious, there is just something about a cop who doesn't like NERRRDS but trying to be sympathetic to the nerd having a swordfight with a key thief in Seul metro while they are both dressed in and armed with poo poo they stole from korean cosplay convention. "All these years of training... video game training finally paid off" Everything being is so ridiculous, combined with supposedly grandiose stakes, I love it.

I got through it, and it was okay. I thought the overall plot and structure were interesting, but the voice acting was just atrocious in parts. I found the end of episode one to be especially bad, just a bunch of screaming into microphones and poorly structured nonsense that dragged on for an interminable period. It felt like everyone had energy dials that could only be at 3 or 10, with no room for nuance in between.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Len posted:

Has anyone heard of Lake Clarity? I don't know if I found it in here or the apps "similar to" section. It's not the worst I've listened to, I'mm almost done with season one of it. The show is about five teenagers who go to an abandoned camp the summer before leaving for college and of course bad stuff is happening.

It's pretty rough but there's no talk of a patreon and they aren't trying to sell me things so I get the feeling it's some people with free time and a mic so I'm a little lenient on that.

I listened to it and it’s not terrible, but it’s clearly a bunch of kids making a passion project. I found the acting a little off putting and the plotting a little dull, but it’s not the worst podcast I ever listened to.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

calandryll posted:

Anyone listening to the Leap Year Society? They mention Minnow Beats Whale but not sure how affiliated they are. Has all of the awkward conversation style that is common in Tanis, etc.

It’s by the same production team, but it’s tied into a massive multimedia project called Unknown9. I’m not sure how I feel about the podcast on its own, because I’m too deep into the ARG to not listen to it.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

I hate how much I love King's Falls AM.

e: I love them so much.

e2 and archive 81

King Falls is one of those shows that I really like but I can’t really explain why. The pieces don’t really work for me, but somehow the totality does. I think the basic premise works well, and the two leads have decent chemistry which helps a lot, but beyond that, I really have no idea.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

I’ve been looking for more podcasts to listen to and while most of them are really nothing to write home about, I did discover Korn Presents: the Nothing which is just too weird not to bring up. It actually seems like a fairly typical podcast concept except this time, it’s presented by Korn.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Hughlander posted:

Anyone still listening to King Falls?

Just binged through the last 9 months and had two thoughts on it:
1) The change to swearing vs bleeping was jarring. It was a nice conceit but just to drop it feels weird.
2) God I wish they'd end the story already. 100 episodes in and it feels like it's done.

I feel like it has to be moving towards some sort of climactic arc now. Like, if they string it along for another 100 episodes that's way too much, but I'm willing to give them like... twenty or so.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

So, back in 2017 I released a serial fiction podcast and I don’t think I ever linked it here.

You can find info about it here, but broadly speaking, it’s about a plague of telepathy in a city ruled by corporate despots in a city where it never stops raining.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

So Shadowrun, then?

Yes but with more exploding corporate research facilities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Honestly, the second season of the Last Movie is real good. The interns are a bit awkward but the central mystery is engaging and has a lot of creepy imagery.