Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Is there some kinda meta april fool's joke here where people pretend not to realize the episode came out right after april fool's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Tanis saddens me because the basic idea is super appealing to me but then the podcast is so blegh.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Basic Chunnel posted:

Anyway is the Spider the same entity as the one in the patterned table and / or the cannibalism + meat entity?

Yes to the former, no to the latter from what I understand. The spider power manifests in literal spiders and spider iconography (webs etc.) as well as mind control. The meat power manifests both as cannibalism and humans and the animals we eat switching places (pig, slaughterhouse). Just because humans get eaten I don't think you should assume it's related to the meat power, just as not every episode where someone dies is related to the death power.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

theblackw0lf posted:

Speaking of Magnus Archives, while I've become a little bored of the metaplot the last episode was actually pretty fascinating.

As someone who quite likes the metaplot I found the last episode really good, if a bit infodumpy. It felt a bit forced to suddenly have Gerard consider John a friend towards the end though

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

New Leaf posted:

I'm going to assume its a nickname for "Francis".

They're non-binary

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Kind of similar: Are there any good classic mystery/whodunit podcasts? I listened to Deadly Manners but I didn't much care for it.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I think the Gerard/Jared thing is Jonny's accent occasionally swallowing the second R rather than him using the wrong name.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I disagree with the implicit statement that all horror fiction should rely on the fear of the unknown. Going back to the example of the anglerfish, what it actually does with its victims is way, way worse than what you'd assume after just listening to episode 1.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

This won't help if you're driving, but the Magnus Archives reddit has a Google Drive folder with a bunch of official transcripts. Not all the episodes are there but the boneturner one is. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BzWtYJgwf5A9NU1Vd0pMTG9HcmM

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I very much enjoy this season of magnus being the "Everyone dunks on John" season.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

Yeah, I can see how you could go from liking Magnus in the early episodes to having had enough by now. It's kind of following the same trajectory as The X-Files did (although personally I think it's a LOT more coherent than the X-files was) in moving from episode of the week with a small core cast and some breadcrumbs to indicate some things might be connected, to being 100% metaplot focused with a much bigger supporting cast and multiple antagonists all with their own agenda. Last episode specifically, Annabelle Cane has only been named in a single episode about 80 back so unless you've got a good memory or you've recently done a binge listen there's a good chance you wouldn't remember her story.

edit: ^^^^ Yeah, but I guess in a TV show of that length you'd get a recap of the salient points at the start of the episode if they dropped a character from two seasons back into the episode as a main focus.

TBF Even if not by name Annabelle has come up twice before this season. It's also not really necessary to know every detail of her history. The only part that's really important for the latest ep is that she's web-aligned, and the web has been a recurring theme this whole season.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Worms gently caress you up real bad.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

immolationsex posted:

Leftist how? MA is the only one of theirs I’ve listened listened to at length, and I can’t think of any instances of them portraying, let alone advocating leftist values. The only exception I can think of is their representation of LGBTQ people, which I will agree is more a left position than right.

Also their portrayal of the ugliness of war in more than one episode could arguably be construed as leftist but that’s a bit of a reach.

Not trying to start a massive derail, just curious, because I have a hunch you may well be correct about this but I can’t put my finger on it.

There are a bunch of shots taken at the Tories, Britain's right-wing party

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Cut my eyes into pieces, this is my last resort.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Don't click unless you've listened up to ep. 110 of magnus: https://twitter.com/buzzhmm/status/1175152731155312640

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Every season is exactly 40 episodes

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I don't believe the scar thing but I do agree with the theory that John has to experience all the different powers directly in some way for Elias' plans. It'd explain why he sent John and Basira up to Ny-Ålesund despite the Dark being a complete non-issue.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Basic Chunnel posted:

He took the magic bullet out of Daisy, right?

Melanie, but yes.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Ratatozsk posted:

Just realized that I had conflated those two as well. So it was Melaine who was thrall to the Slaughter from the ghost bullet and Daisy just kinda became a Hunter through work but severed her bonds in the Buried, right?

Correct, though Melanie has now blinded herself to escape Beholding and Daisy relapsed into the hunt when Trevor/Julia/Not!Sasha attacked

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Ratatozsk posted:

I think those are from Season 1’s worm attack.

So did Peter just explode or what?

https://twitter.com/TheRustyQuill/status/1187414411478228994

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

After some prodding by a coworker and in celebration of the spooky season I marathoned all of TMA over the course of 2 weeks.

My conclusion: Good as hell

finale was a shocker but after going through the whole thing I have to say that The Extinction is by far the most tantalizing plot thread and I am utterly fascinated to see how it plays into what happened in the finale especially because it was conspicuously absent from the ritual

Crackpot theory: S5 will be about our intrepid heroes Intentionally birthing the Extinction so an "unawakened" power exists to force the other ones out of the world.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Basic Chunnel posted:

Getting around to the White Vault and I have to say, if you're going to write a found footage format audio drama, you're allowed (really, you're required) to invent some literary contrivances for the sake of the reader-listener's sanity. Just because five different people would not realistically write or record diaries in a neat sequential format does not mean that every cut to a different character requires a summary of the last common scene. Literally every episode I've listened to has had multiple identical summaries, presumably because the writers felt it didn't make sense for the characters not to repeat one another. You do not have to care about the recordings' multiple intended recipients getting incomplete information. You should write from the knowledge that there is actually just one recipient, the person listening to the podcast.

Other than that, pretty good?

It's doubly weird cause they have the narrator curating everything so they could just have her say "I've removed everything that doesn't offer new information" or whatever and not have this problem.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

cptn_dr posted:

I've been blasting through a Magnus re-listen and it's somehow even better the second time through. I know some people like the mystery of it all, but I'm enjoying it knowing what's going on now.

One of the great joys of mysteries is going back and re-experiencing them once you know the answer so you can see all the clues.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

My one complaint is with TMA is that the converging storylines create a single layer of extradimensional horror. While I'm fine with things being connected, I really wish that they'd occasionally brush up against something that's like "oh no that's the varsity, we know very little about them and what we do is pretty clear do not investigate/gently caress with. Just back out of the room slowly and hope we don't draw it's interest."

This is exactly what Elias told Basira about the Web.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I wasn't a huge fan of the first ep of s5 magnus. The first tape was great though i wonder how elias got away with so much if he's been that unsubtle this whole time but the second tape was just a long recap.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Seems appropriate for the Stranger to not fit into an established meter.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I listened to Janus Descending. it wasn't very good. The central mystery had the most obvious "you think one thing happened but actually the opposite thing happened" twist i've ever experienced.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I listened to Spines. I liked the first season alright but it went downhill from S2 onwards. The "character narrating stuff in post" type of storytelling works well for a mystery, but doesn't really work for a more action-based story imo. Also the bad guy winning, but it turns out its not that bad kinda made the whole show feel meaningless.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Boba Pearl posted:

If you've listened and enjoyed 143 episodes of Tanis, you have already forged your soul in a fire so hot, that it melts the sun, our words rain on you like drops of ether, evaporating instantly.

That being said, I need resolution so all the nay saying made me not give it a shot. Things need to have an end, all my favorite podcasts got in, told their story over the course of a few years, and got out.

Jonathan Sims said in one of the early interview bonus eps of Magnus Archives that the first thing he wrote was the ending, and that's something every mystery writer should follow IMO.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Boxman posted:

So, Magnus Archives 196

Is the implication that the listeners are part of the Web?

My current theory is that our world is on the other side of the gateway, and Annabelle has been feeding it tapes, which is how we're listening to the show.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I cannot loving believe they got me with the lighter TWICE

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

I think it's what happens when you have the end in mind when you start it. And also you avoid the temptation to keep going after you've actually wrapped everything up.

They did say there was gonna be more content, but I assume it's gonna be like, Q&As or something.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The first thing John says about Martin is he expects he'll only contribute delays and one of the last things things Martin does is push something ahead of schedule.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Boxman posted:

Someone help me with Sims' decision making in the last episode. He decides to lie to Martin and trap The Web, right up until he doesn't. Martin is dead either way, so Jonathon's change of heart isn't about saving Martin...and his decision to keep the Entities contained to their world wasn't about saving Martin, since ejecting all the fears would've made a better world for him anyway.

I want something I can believe here because without an explanation, Jonathon just does random poo poo to allow for an emotionally satisfying but narratively disjointed climax.

I feel like I must've missed a line or two.

IDK where you get the idea that Martin is dead either way from, especially when they say this:

" ARCHIVIST

Cut the tether. Send them away.

Maybe we both die. Probably. But maybe not. Maybe, maybe everything works
out, and we end up somewhere else.

MARTIN

Together?

ARCHIVIST

One way or another. Together."

The choice at the end is explicitly about saving himself and Martin

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Boxman posted:

Given my understanding of the situation, Martin would to kill Johnny because he's no longer the man he loved, and because he believes spreading the Entities to be the best option; Johnny would want to stay alive to use his power as the locus of The Eye's power to keep Martin alive in the rapidly collapsing building. How much of a downer would it have been for that conflict to be resolved.

This directly contradicts the text of the episode so i don't understand how you could reach that conclusion.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I just got caught up on the silt verses and it's good but i can't take the second detective's voice seriously. He sounds like a 13-year-olds idea of a super badass.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I got interested in the BBC Lovecraft podcast after it was mentioned in here so I listened to the first season. I thought it was pretty good but I got a bit annoyed by The librarian/love interest turning out to be evil I've seen that twist so many times it would genuinely be more surprising to not do it. Also the cop being a cultist too makes no sense to me. Why would he save Kennedy from the cultists and kill(?) one of them if he's secretly been working with them the whole time

Droyer fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 4, 2021

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Fumaofthelake posted:

What’s the general consensus on Arden? I like the premise but thought the first episode kind of felt like a mid season episode. Like it felt like they kind of skipped some of the ramp up that maybe should have happened between the two mains.

I thought the bickering between the 2 leads was more annoying than funny most of the time but I enjoyed the mystery. Speaking of mysteries, are there any like, proper fairplay mystery whodunit podcasts? I want something Christie-esque but not just someone reading old detective stories.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Mix. posted:

Deca Tapes was neat but it ended up not being what I thought it was going to be. But what it was (a found footage series of recordings documenting what happened to ten people locked into an enclosed, isolated space together, and how their social dynamic progresses as time passes) was still pretty interesting, and I don't regret listening to it. (...there was apparently a spinoff series that was patreon only so I never listened to it)

I wish they hadn't revealed what was actually going on so early. I like weird, mysterious settings so them explaining it right away kind of ruined that for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The magnus 2 kickstarter page is up now: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/the-magnus-archives2/the-magnus-archives-2