Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

New Leaf posted:

Hah, I had the same reactions in the exact same order. I still enjoy Tanis just for Nic, but goddamn its torture sometimes..

It's not an easy thing to understand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
So wait is this season of Tanis over?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Dramatic pause?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I am enjoying WTW, though there is some weird stuff about it. A lot of the more recent episodes kind of break suspension of disbelief as museum commentaries, what with how personal and conspiratorial they get. Plus the VA puts some weird stink on some lines that sound cool but are kind of out of nowhere and seem to ascribe more meaning to lines then is warranted. For example in the most recent episode the menacing tone and pause describing how the dog in a child's portrait was drawn with horizontal eyes.

Also it could due with being a bit more subtle? The narrator can barely contain their contempt for the artist and all but shouts 'THIS GOVERNMENT OFFICIAL DISAPPEARED CLAUDIA BECAUSE HER WORK WAS TOO CRITICAL OF THE REGIME', which again stretches the disbelief that these are actual museum commentaries that total randos are listening to on their nice trip to the art exhibit.

That said I am liking it a whole bunch, the narrator does good work and the whole thing has neat air about it.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
tanis is just loving baffling. Try to imagine nick recording his lines and then going "yeah that was a good reading of that line, it conveys all the proper emotion" you can't he's a robot man I think

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
the literal loving robot man in archive 81 delivers better line reads

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I was a little confused by narrators attitude to the whole thing given the previous episode, wasn't sure if it was forgetting or playing along. Glad to know lady was real tho

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Wow, this episode of archive 81

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

New Leaf posted:

Possibly unpopular opinion- this week's Tanis wasn't bad. I actually quite enjoyed it. It moved the plot along and added some new twists and turns.

There was like a half second where nick had emotion in his voice and it was very jarring

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
driving home

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
This was a very good season of Archive 81, and it had one of the best episodes a podcast like this has ever had

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
they should do it better then

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

dont review your own posts

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
i have a really hard time keeping the supporting cast straight but TMA has been very good

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
for whatever reason john looks like John Hodgman in my mind

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
In my mind John from magnus archives looks exactly like Garth Merenghi

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Len posted:

It's like how Cecil from Welcome to Night Vale has a third eye. gently caress it why not?

no cecil is like a younger scott aukerman

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
magnus archives good as hell

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

AstroZamboni posted:

Season 5 of Tanis just wrapped up. It was interesting. I'll post a breakdown of everything that happened, but it'll take a while to write up.

here are my thoughts

*long fart noise*

tanis loving sucks!!!! the season sucked!!!!

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

New Leaf posted:

Is TANIS ever going to get off the paid service and be free? I want to hate-listen to it so bad..

I dunno but, dude, it's so bad this season. Worse than ever.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Tweak posted:

is it still every week finding some new connection between tanis and an obscure creepy event/story?

The beginning of every single episode and it NEVER matters and is immediately forgotten

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Boxman posted:

I really liked the statement, but something's wrong with the continuity, right?

The Magnus Archives succeeded because the Archivist was marked by the 14 known entities, which allowed him to draw all the powers simultaneously. So how did The Extinction make it through? Was he marked by the Extinction at some point and we missed it? He certainly didn't call on it in episode 160

I'm not smart about these things; I'm sure i'm not the first one to have wondered this.

EDIT: I went back and looked at the transcript for 160. Magnus specifically says he wanted his ritual to happen before The Extinction needed to be accounted for. My theory is that The Extinction's presence in the nightmare kingdom is relevant.

the extinction is definitely gonna be the straw that breaks the camels back, so to speak.

maybe...the 14 entities fear of Extinction....

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Magnus ends tomorrow. Wild. I think they've been sticking the landing but we'll see!

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Yeah I dug the penultimate episode basically being a real dark episode of the good place

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
They hosed up by not naming it "Statement Ends", but otherwise perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
It's very good