Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
After some prodding by a coworker and in celebration of the spooky season I marathoned all of TMA over the course of 2 weeks.

My conclusion: Good as hell

finale was a shocker but after going through the whole thing I have to say that The Extinction is by far the most tantalizing plot thread and I am utterly fascinated to see how it plays into what happened in the finale especially because it was conspicuously absent from the ritual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Honestly, the only people in fear of The Extinction have been those aligned with a power.

Well the people in the Amazon and that guy that got tormented by a phantom numbers station were both pretty afraid of it.

Though you are right that the agents of the other powers seem to either be trying to ignore it away or are abjectly terrified by the entire concept of its existence.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

drat, I had forgotten about the numbers station one. I don't know how, as it was loving amazing.

I read on the wiki that someone put the numbers through some sort of decryption thing and what they said was "THE WORLD IS ALWAYS ENDING"

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Having listened to the whole shebang+ q and a episodes in a short time span I get a sense that the show has been building up to this moment and by extension, season 5. Its also a pretty lean story as well with every moment being important in some way to some plot or subplot and with very little filler.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
It gets very addressed and the fear of technology and its implications gets a lot of attention as well.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

cptn_dr posted:

I'm sort of unconvinced that the tape is... Real? Accurate? I can't imagine Tim throwing a surprise party for Jon, and I'm not totally convinced Jon knows enough about emulsifiers to ruin ice cream that way (ruining a party is totally in character for him, I just don't know if he'd do it like that).

Elias might have faked it, or maybe it had something to do with the web. Especially since I didn't think he knew about Jurgen until the end of season two, so I don't think he'd have had access to the Gertrude tape, either.

Normally I'd think I was over-thinking things, but if any show deserves a red string board, it's Magnus.

Keep in mind that we have no idea if it was even Elias that sent these tapes

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Yeah I know it was kinda the point but this one felt a little aimless and martin rambling wasnt nearly as engrossing as John's narrations. Though they really knocked it out of the park with The Worms and Roots.

The Worms 'got' me so much worse than anything else they've ever done and Roots is really interesting from a setting perspective. This kinda felt like filler with some character building in the last five minutes.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Arrhythmia posted:

I thought that the Worms was just gross nonsense body horror. The most recent one was really good for me. Regardless, I'm impressed by the scope that they're using the fifth season to explore.

I think the claustrophobia+body horror just played into my personal fears way more than anything else they've done so it might just be me

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

The new season just feels too much like 50 floors of fright. *ding* burned *ding* lonely *ding*. There's no mystery to put together, no danger to the characters, no reason to put Martin through these horrors other than the Archivist not being assed to go around.

I'd love to see the spider or the extinction shake things up a bit, but all the other powers so far seem perfectly content with their own manifest sublets in the Eye's new order.

The End having the twist of I will eventually kill everyone in this dimension including the entities themselves and there isnt a thing you can do to stop me was pretty interesting and I want to see more stuff like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I'm not sure how I feel about all the characters basically deciding to selfishly gently caress over uncountable numbers of other worlds just to turn back the clock on their reality where everyone is already broken and traumatized beyond repair, it seemed EXTREMELY obvious to me that John's plan to euthanize their world was the only real option and even he was talked out of it by his whiny boyfriend. Though perhaps I only feel this way because I never really liked the characters (especially Martin) that were involved by the end aside from John.