Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Currently listening to Bubble and Wolf 359, and enjoying both. Any recommendations for dramas that are in similar vein?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

One Swell Foop posted:

EOS 10 is pretty close in tone. Stellar Firma might also be worth a listen, it's a bit goofy but I enjoy it. Mission to Zyxx is goofier still and I got bored. Both Stellar Firma and Mission to Zyxx are largely improvised, but the two main actors in Stella Firma are brothers and it's from the same production team as Magnus Archives so there's some rapport and rigour in it but it's still light relief compared to the more scripted stuff.

Hmm I listened to Zyxx and bounced off pretty hard; EOS 10 is not my jam. Will check out Stellar Firma, although I don't think improv is my thing. Meanwhile I've started listening to Edict Zero, it's not really funny, but well made. Makes me think of a Batman comic. Also the sound design is crazy good, as stated in the OP.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Just noticed that Bubble is not mentioned in the OP. I realize it stopped two years ago, but so far it was one of the better audio drama podcasts I've listened to. Gives me a "30 Rock, but about monster hunters in the gig economy" vibe. And the writing is good, I think. https://maximumfun.org/podcasts/bubble

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Well it's about monster hunters, duh. Ok if you don't like tv shows like Evil Dead, Blood Drive, or Z Nation, give it a pass.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
What's a good season of Night vale to start with? I listened to the first episode of season one and two (ten minutes each), but didn't like it much. Is it always just a single narrator?

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Someone published a list of horror fiction podcasts on reddit... it's quite extensive, maybe something in there (and in the comments) people here might not now :

https://old.reddit.com/r/podcasts/comments/j385g8/if_youve_never_given_horror_fiction_podcasts_a/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Anyone here listening to Edict Zero? I just finished season one, thought the beginning was strong, but then it got super muddled. Like, I kept zoning out. Just started season two, seems more streamlined, but we'll see. The actors are great, I think, but the writing feels a little bit too smart-assey at times.