Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I’ve been listening to Magnus and enjoying it a reasonable amount, but when does the serialized not kick in? The OP makes it sound like things are going to happen that aren’t just SCP-style recurring names or iconography.

I just finished the 30th episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

cptn_dr posted:

If you added a beat, it would basically be a Mechanisms song.
Specifically the one in The Bifrost Incident where he goes Full Jonny on an invocation.

I just finished listening to this and holy poo poo it's a fun musical. Like, it's closer to Love Never Dies (except, you know...good) than what you usually think of as a concept album.

PS hi thread its me, the guy from 10 months ago who was just starting Magnus, now freshly caught up. Whee!

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

I really liked the statement, but something's wrong with the continuity, right?

The Magnus Archives succeeded because the Archivist was marked by the 14 known entities, which allowed him to draw all the powers simultaneously. So how did The Extinction make it through? Was he marked by the Extinction at some point and we missed it? He certainly didn't call on it in episode 160

I'm not smart about these things; I'm sure i'm not the first one to have wondered this.

EDIT: I went back and looked at the transcript for 160. Magnus specifically says he wanted his ritual to happen before The Extinction needed to be accounted for. My theory is that The Extinction's presence in the nightmare kingdom is relevant.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 12, 2020

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

So, Magnus Archives 196

Is the implication that the listeners are part of the Web?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

My one complaint is that if it goes with the obvious answer - that we're one of the universes that The Entities got shunted into, dunno why i'm spoiler tagging speculation, but better safe than sorry - I'll be disappointed with the pacing. That outcome was semi-obvious as soon as we got the exposition dump, which was a while back now. it really feels like they've been spinning their wheels to make it to a nice round 200, but here's hoping there were some seeds planted in there I missed.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Someone help me with Sims' decision making in the last episode. He decides to lie to Martin and trap The Web, right up until he doesn't. Martin is dead either way, so Jonathon's change of heart isn't about saving Martin...and his decision to keep the Entities contained to their world wasn't about saving Martin, since ejecting all the fears would've made a better world for him anyway.

I want something I can believe here because without an explanation, Jonathon just does random poo poo to allow for an emotionally satisfying but narratively disjointed climax.

I feel like I must've missed a line or two.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Droyer posted:

IDK where you get the idea that Martin is dead either way from, especially when they say this:

From the fact that they're in an exploding building, and the crack in reality (and potential safety) is all the way at Hill Top Road. I thought that lighting the gas main was intended to destroy the Panopticon, where Magnus was, which means Martin and Sims ,standing over Jonah's corpse, puts them squarely in the blast zone.

I'd just as soon read that as "welp, hope there's an afterlife that wasn't irreversibly corrupted."

Just to make sure we're getting the basic metaphysics right: The Web's plan was to kick the Entities out of the world. Killing Jonah and destroying the panopticon left them with only one tether to reality - the tapes that the Web used to snare them. By keeping the tapes near the crack in reality, Annabelle could shunt the tapes, and thus, the Entities through, dragging all of them through the multiverse. Just destroying the Panopticon wouldn't have been enough, because an avatar of the Eye (Magnus, or Johnny in the unfortunate event of the former's death) would keep the nightmare world around. That's why Martin needed to kill Johnny at all.

Given my understanding of the situation, Martin would to kill Johnny because he's no longer the man he loved, and because he believes spreading the Entities to be the best option; Johnny would want to stay alive to use his power as the locus of The Eye's power to keep Martin alive in the rapidly collapsing building. How much of a downer would it have been for that conflict to be resolved.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 31, 2021

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

cptn_dr posted:

Again, I'm pretty sure he didn't just change his mind because of Martin, he just thought that they couldn't succeed in the plan because he didn't know Georgie had the lighter. When he realised he didn't have the lighter anymore, he gave up on his plan and did the only thing he had left available to him. The Web played him one last time.

Edit: Though yeah, everyone else was pretty selfish, but I guess that's what happens when the ultimate bad guy is the personification of manipulation.

The plan still couldn't have succeeded unless Johnny chose to die. He could keep the entities bound to their reality, and is set to do so until he doesn't. Martin says "we have a deal" like he did a hundred times before, only this time it takes, which is what I don't really get

Droyer posted:

This directly contradicts the text of the episode so i don't understand how you could reach that conclusion.

Yeah, sorry, could've been clearer; that's just me writing fan-fic. Like I said, I question the writing of the decision making after the explosions start

I'd be willing to believe that John's absolute priority is keeping Martin alive, and once Martin says "I'm going to die in this explosion" nothing really matters to John (which I don't love because lol codependency!) except he was the one who suggested euthanizing the world. He's shown some pragmatic thinking about the whole situation

EDIT: I dont know everyone else seems fine with this and I'm apparently not communicating clearly enough to even get people to understand what I'm saying, so I'll just leave it be after this, haha. Onto The White Vault.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Mar 31, 2021

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

If Rabbits didn't grab me in the first couple episodes, is there enough there for me to press on? I assume there's some sort of ARG-ish thing I can be following along with in the episodes notes but I don't have the inclination to do that, especially since I'm coming to it well after the fact so I can't engage in the fun of collective discovery.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Basic Chunnel posted:

it's gnarly, here's a teaser clip they posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHH-Bal-Zp4

They did an extended trailer too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=289RomnoZsQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

This is only tangentially related to the topic, but I didn't see it mentioned. Slay the Princess, a horror visual novel, got a demo on Steam and is getting some good buzz. The narrator may sound familiar...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RByDoYQpFa8

(It's Sims)