Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I don't think I've seen Gone mentioned here. It's by author Sunny Moraine and is pretty damned good so far. A woman wakes up one morning and everyone else in the world is gone. Things still work, like the power and internet, there's just no one else around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

smidgeonnn posted:

Magnus used to rely on ads so I doubt it's aimed at everyone else.

True, but they didn't interrupt their episodes to do some hokey in-character ads like PNWS.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Kerbtree posted:

There's a new episode of The White Vault out. I'm fairly taken with the series, overall.

Listened to the first three episodes and I'm liking it.

However... Is that the No Sleep guy doing the voice for the grizzled guide character?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm surprised at the hate Nosleep gets here!

To be clear, it isn't really the podcast or stories that get hate in this thread, it's Cummings no-talent rear end showing up in otherwise decent productions.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

AstroZamboni posted:

So for those of you who (reasonably) gave up on Tanis, Nic appears to be some kind of immortal dimensional conduit being who is destined to have some sort of boss fight against Grigori Rasputin and Nicolas Flamel and gods loving knows who else to keep D&Desque Cthulhu thing from causing a mass extinction.

There. You're caught up now. I also know you didn't ask. Well, too late. It's a thing you know now.

Why can't I stop listening to this train wreck?

:captainpop:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Second season of Limetown will start on Halloween.

LOL and apparently The Black Tapes are coming back.

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 21, 2018

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Is there anything in the extra two minutes of runtime after the close of this week's Magnus?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

TMA needs to find a new way to move the plot forward besides "Johnny gets kidnapped." They're leaning on that one a little hard.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I'll deal with just about any level of VA absurdity so long as the No Sleep guy doesn't show up.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Len posted:

There was a story that had a gay couple in it and apparently enough people wrote in about how they were going to stop listening because of it he took time to go "thats not going to change and if anything I'll do more lgbtq" stories.

And the next episode was for Pride and the stories were all either written by or featured lgbtq folks. He even let a different host who is gay or bi (don't remember) do the hosting.

That's pretty damned awesome.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

In addition to the whole "kidnapping is the only way to move the plot forward" thing, TMA needs to stop portraying Jon as a stuttering buffoon literally all the time.

C'mon, TMA, you're better than this.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

At some point he should have transitioned to angry questioning/interrogation, all things considered.

I also half expect hes being set up to die, what with all the stuff seemingly going on with and around Martin.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Goddamn Eskew is weird as hell. I love it.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Mokinokaro posted:

This gives it away: one of those "July" episodes didn't exist until today.

I see the confusion now. That wasn't added today, it was added last week.

Another thing:

It appears the title of episode 8 has changed.

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Sep 11, 2018

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

If I'm being honest, I found it really hard to disagree with any of the accusations made against John in the last TMA, even knowing who was making the accusations and why. Dude is basically Forrest Gump to Gertrude's Jason Bourne.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Kerbtree posted:

New series of The White Vault has started.

The beginning of the first episode was kind of weird. I thought I'd missed an episode because the framing narration stated what was about to happen in a way that made it seem like it'd already been discussed in a previous episode.

Pretty solid otherwise, and even the No Sleep dude was less obnoxious than usual.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Limetown posted an update on Facebook. Season 2 starts in less than a month, a prequel novel is out around the same time, and work is continuing on the tv show.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Listening to Limetown again has made me realize just how much the PNW guys cribbed from it.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Montalvo posted:

The thought of listening to those two voice actors deliver those lines with those voices makes me want to puncture my earlobes.

Kind of weird that bad voice acting makes you want to get your ears pierced, but you do you.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Len posted:

It wasn't the worst found footage movie I saw

I thought it was pretty average on the whole.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Pope Guilty posted:

Is there anything as good as Magnus? Anything as consistently creepy?

I think both The White Vault and Gone are as good, but in the interest of fairness, both hit my horror sweet spot, so your mileage may vary.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

New Leaf posted:

I started The White Vault today because Martin told me to before this week's Magnus. Has anyone listened to it? I haven't followed the thread lately to see if its been discussed. It seems okay so far but I don't like their "security" guy's acting very much, and the sound effects make some things hard to hear, but I'm genuinely curious where it's going. It has a modern "At the Mountains of Madness" vibe to it.

I love it. The No Sleep dude is kind of grating at first because he's just not as good as the rest of the cast, but eventually he grows in to the part and ceases to be irritating.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Basic Chunnel posted:

It is good for the writer to know the grand conspiracy, but not necessarily for the listener to know it.

That's all well and good but it has clearly been their intention from the start that they'd slowly reveal everything to the listeners; it's not like they've shoe-horned this in due to whining fans or anything.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Len posted:

I feel like if it didn't have the metaplot keeping it going there wouldn't be anything really worth listening to. I would have checked out by this point if it was just 30 minutes of unattached short stories

Without the metaplot it'd just be a subpar Pseudopod. Johnny's strength is that he's taken all this disparate stories and woven them together in a coherent way.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Arcsech posted:

I mean, it’s not like this is the only inconsistency in Eskew. Kind of fits right in, actually.

Yeah there are a lot of these, probably at least one in each episode. A pretty common one is how he'll describe a sequence of events that would take weeks, months, or even years to actually play out as described, but it's really only been a few days or a single week at most.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Did I miss the announcement that TMA was going on break or my podcast app loving up?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

New Leaf posted:

I just have to know how it ends. I know it's trash, but it's entertaining trash.

This is what wikis are for.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Has there been any movement on that new season of The Black Tapes that they seemed to tease several months ago?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Basic Chunnel posted:

Tried listening to the NoSleep podcast, people approaching horror writing like it's a fuckin erector set

No Sleep was at it's best in the first two, maybe three seasons. Back then they had their pick of the very best stories. Now they're just after volume and it shows.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I binged the second half of TMA season 4 and that was definitely the best way to experience it.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

New Leaf posted:

If you dig Magnus and the like check out Old Gods of Appalachia. It's a new horror anthology podcast with an elder gods meets backwoods Appalachia bent with a fantastic narrator/storyteller. I'm absolutely enthralled so far and there's only a few episodes out.

Thank you for this recommendation.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Pseudopod and No Sleep tend to have the same problem in that early on, they had a lot of quality work to choose from, but as time goes on and the episode count increases, it becomes quantity over quality.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Apparently people constantly refreshing for the new TMA crashed Patreon.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Sims has a horror collection being published later this year. You can get a signed copy here (be aware of exchange rates if you aren't in the UK):

https://www.goldsborobooks.com/product/thirteen-storeys

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Len posted:

I was gonna slam preorder this but Amazon has no option to :(

https://www.bookdepository.com/Thirteen-Storeys-Jonathan-Sims/9781473228726?ref=grid-view&qid=1595212163373&sr=1-4

Also apparently it's not a collection, it's a novel, if that matters.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Jurgan posted:

Could always go the Black Tapes route and thus be like "we don't care anymore, write your own ending."

Wait that's their position now?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

AstroZamboni posted:

Has anybody else listened to "What Happened in Skinner?" I'm about halfway through the series and enjoying it so far.

I binged this during a long trip this week. I liked it until it became what amounts to a superhero origin story.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

theblackw0lf posted:

Listening to Malevolent based off Reddit recommendations and it’s pretty good so far. The pod has an interesting way of doing an audio drama with no narration yet able to still describe visuals which is really clever. It took me a while to get used to one of the voices but it’s no longer bothering me (two episodes in).

Anyone looking for a Lovecraftiam horror fix should check it out.

I love it, but they do this weird thing sometimes where you can faintly here a dice rolling sound effect and then the voice controlling the eyes (don't want to spoil his identity) notices something and I'm just kind of confused whey they're shoe-horning in some weird RPG stuff into it. Sure, maybe this is based on someone's Call of Cthulhu campaign...but is that sound effect necessary?

Thankfully it kind of falls by the wayside after a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Capilarean posted:

Anybody listened to What happened in Skinner? I gave it a try but it gets a lot...cuter after the first episode and I'm having a bit of trouble remembering who's who. Does it ever pick up or is it nor for me?

I finished it a while ago. It starts with a nice mystery and ends up as what amounts to a superhero origin story (thematic rather than specific spoiler).