Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Godly thread lmfao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Major Isoor posted:

Heh yeah, you're quite right there! The Irish really put in a lot of work refining those skills during the '70s, eh! :D

Well observed, major

Thanks Pablo and Sub-Actuality for the great sigs!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Major Isoor posted:

Heh yeah, you're quite right there! The Irish really put in a lot of work refining those skills during the '70s, eh! :D

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Major Isoor posted:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Major Isoor posted:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Major Isoor posted:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The classic

Thanks Pablo and Sub-Actuality for the great sigs!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

EmmyOk posted:

The classic

Lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

The classic

lmao

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Major Isoor posted:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

The classic

lol

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lmfao

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The Shadow Tactics / D3 devs have announced their new game and it looks potentially cool although I've already forgotten the name.

https://youtu.be/BykuAlQlSIw

High fantasy pirate stuff and it seems to offer a more free-form approach to missions with you being able to choose them in different orders and pick your starting point in many levels by choosing where to moor your boat.

Honestly I was going to play whatever they came out with anyway but it definitely looks interesting

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
oooh, very interesting! I'll be keeping an eye on that, for sure

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Shadow Gambit: Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The Shadow Tactics / D3 devs have announced their new game and it looks potentially cool although I've already forgotten the name.

https://youtu.be/BykuAlQlSIw

High fantasy pirate stuff and it seems to offer a more free-form approach to missions with you being able to choose them in different orders and pick your starting point in many levels by choosing where to moor your boat.

Honestly I was going to play whatever they came out with anyway but it definitely looks interesting

Absolutely hyped for this

----------------

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor

We begin our tale with a guy who vows a solemn vow of revenge after witnessing his family murdered before his eyes. Later, while brooding in his study, a bat flies through the window and - oh, woops, wrong my-family-was-murdered revenge arc. However, comparisons with the pointy-eared vigilante go well beyond the setup for the story. The combat famously borrows from the Arkham games to the degree that it's sometimes derisively referred to as "Batman with swords." In the Arkham games, the stealth is parceled out - you're given deliberate sections where you're allowed to be sneaky and when that's all over, you're back to maps that favor combat. Is it the same story with Shadow of Mordor? Even if it's a good game, is it a good stealth game? That's what this review intends to find out.

SoM puts you in the leathery boots of Talion, a human who finds himself cursed with the inability to permanently die; he is fused with a grouchy elf named Celebrimbor for some adventures that can be best described as "The Odd Couple: Middle Earth Edition." Most of your orc-slaying exploits have to do with either wreaking havoc on Sauron's army, or finding out more of Celebrimbor's past. There are also a few escapades with Gollum and a dwarf who - you're not going to believe this - is a boisterous and rowdy fellow with a Scottish accent! The story isn't terrible, but it's really just set dressing. My understanding is that the developers originally had no intention of using the Middle Earth setting at all, and that it was apparently foisted on them by the publisher. So the setting and the scenery have a rather ad hoc feel to them. Nonetheless, it's as good a way as any to introduce the Nemesis system - the otherwise primitive orcs running around Mordor organize themselves in various loose hierarchies: you have your average run-of-the-mill orcs at the bottom rung; next up, you have Captains, who are a bit more deadly and capable, and then finally you have Warchiefs, who are the most powerful of the orcs, have their own bodyguards, and lead large factions of Captains and grunts. This is one of those RPGs where the enemies level up after killing you! (perhaps the only one? I'm not sure...) Getting killed is initially not even much of a letdown, as it will help you build up a roster of interesting nemeses - but it'll get out of hand quickly if you're not careful. The Nemesis system adds interest to the otherwise boring story because of its dynamic nature. Every playthrough will have different named enemies coming and going - maybe Grakthor the Orc Librarian will keep ambushing you until you kill him, or Ratbarf the Unbathed will ascend to the rank of Warchief because you murdered his master. Who knows! You also get to dominate some of the creatures running around Mordor as well, making for some fun times stampeding orcs while swinging your sword atop a murderdog.

Despite the setting being an afterthought, I do like what they did with some of the scenery. It's similar to when the World of Warcraft expansion "Wrath of the Lich King" came out. I figured that it was going to consist of nothing but lands covered in snow and then the devs would call it a day. But no, they managed to find ways to diversify the otherwise frosty Northrend. Same thing here, it's easy to think of Mordor as being an ashy spewing-volcano wasteland, but the art team was able to inject some visual interest (although it can get a bit samey after a while). Finally, we're back to the initial question: how is the stealth in Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor? For me, the big picture is that although it's a great action-adventure game in its own right, I don't think the stealth is sufficient to carry the whole game. No surprise, because the Arkham-style combat is a big centerpiece of the action. I will say that it's somewhat better than games where the stealth feels tacked on, like the Far Cry, Tomb Raider, and Arkham series. You can use stealth anywhere in the world, and your acrobatics and arrow-sniping abilities help you move around the fortresses quietly, and there are some missions that require you to complete your objections without raising an alarm; but overall, I wouldn't recommend as much as I would a dedicated stealth title. And that's my verdict: it's fantastic game for what it does, that you might want to get for other reasons; but if you're looking for a pure stealth experience I think it's best to look to other games.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I liked SoM okay but I ended up in a situation where I killed a couple of captains too many times and they kept coming back so they ended up with zero weaknesses and they were like fireproof and beastproof and immune to arrows and stealth and poo poo so like all the fun tactics stopped working so the only options are run away or slowly chip them away in melee which was boring as hell. It's fun taking a bunch of dives to try and get some loser nerd orc promoted to warchief though. Good game overall

----------------

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

some plague rats posted:

I liked SoM okay but I ended up in a situation where I killed a couple of captains too many times and they kept coming back so they ended up with zero weaknesses and they were like fireproof and beastproof and immune to arrows and stealth and poo poo so like all the fun tactics stopped working so the only options are run away or slowly chip them away in melee which was boring as hell. It's fun taking a bunch of dives to try and get some loser nerd orc promoted to warchief though. Good game overall

Yeah, I was in the same boat at times, regarding some of the captains returning far too often, creating nigh-invulnerable bandaged-up, insane orcs. It's good fun to take a dive to help elevate some schmuck orc though, as you said! :D Overall I think I prefer Shadow of War, since they seemed to strike a better balance between orc captains staying dead and coming back for a surprise visit, so it was actually enjoyable to encounter an old nemesis coming back, hours later. (There's also a certain questline, where towards the end you get into a big arena fight with a heap of resurrected/zombified captains you killed previously. It was genuinely concerning, seeing a couple of the hardest orcs I'd fought right there, teaming up against me!)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Shadow of War is better just for the better nemesis/orc stuff and some of the really weird fuckers who can turn up, but I totally understandable some peoples criticism that it's just a mindless "more is more" expansion on the same

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
Is war or Mordor the first one

----------------

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Food Boner posted:

Mordor

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Food Boner posted:

Lmao make yourself comfy man.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Food Boner posted:

When I said War is often described as a "more is more expansion" of Mordor that was a big clue, i think

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Wormskull posted:

heheh yep, have fun! :D

Also, TBH I don't think it should matter if you play SoM or skip it, if you're worried about burning out on it. I think they have an intro sequence that mostly explains the backstory about the... 1.5 main characters. But either way, you're in for some good open-world semi-stealthy action

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
Ok I played the first one, just checking

----------------

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Food Boner posted:

Lmao

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Food Boner posted:

glad we got that sorted out

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Just checking if Nintendo is a real company. Kind of a funny name yeah? Haha.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Wormskull posted:

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Wormskull posted:

Lol

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

Wormskull posted:

Wormskull posted:

lol

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
I know it perhaps leans more into "action" than "stealth", but I've been playing Gotham Knights quite a bit this week, after getting it on sale the other week. It's honestly poorly optimised to an astonishing degree, but after sorting out the performance issues it's actually been pretty great! I've been playing it as stealthily as I can, since it makes stealth a little more viable than it is in the Arkham games, IMO.

The city is also pretty good - I like the more "lived-in" feel to it than in the Arkham games. Since in GK it's actually a 'business as usual' city with civilians going about their day, (and being mugged etc) rather than a mostly deserted city with random gangs of criminals beating each other up. It's been a while since I played Arkham City so I can't compare it, but I'd rate the GK map to be much better than the Arkham Origins map. Possibly also slightly better than the Arkham Knight one too, but at worst it's on-par IMO. They're both good in their own ways.

Also, the playable characters seem good too, although I can't help but feel that it's a missed opportunity, with regards to Red Hood's guns being less-than-lethal guns. I understand why they did it, but drat, the whole point of him is that he's an angry zombie who seeks justice, but doesn't care enough about criminals to want to make sure they survive! :D All the characters have their own spin on things too, which is good. I don't mind any of them overall, although I find myself using Batgirl the most - since the playstyle with her is pretty much the same as Batman in the Arkham games, albeit less bulletproof and with a higher-pitched voice. It's very fun to sneak around and take out crims, either way! It's pretty close to the Arkham formula, but I think it's different enough to feel fresh and not feel overdone, which was my main concern, before buying it.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Is there any real content to it? Or is it just a Ubisoft-style collectathon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Seventh Arrow posted:

Is there any real content to it? Or is it just a Ubisoft-style collectathon?

Yeah it's got a bunch of missions - main story, plus some side plotlines for secondary villains and other stuff going on, like planting fake evidence to stop people connecting Batman with Bruce Wayne.

There ARE collectibles you can seek out though, (batman's old batarangs he never collected, that are scattered about the city) but that's basically the same as the amount of Riddler trophies in Arkham City, I guess? Just no puzzles required to reach them. So it's about on par with collectible stuff in the Arkham games, just that you can pick them out whenever, without being gated behind progress-unlocked gadgets