Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

In Training posted:

The....final boss of MGSV?

Hasn't been released yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Death of the Outsider is interesting so far, I just started the third mission. Because you don't have the Outsider's mark, you only have three default powers and you can't upgrade or change them in any way. You have Displace, which is like Blink except that you place a marker and then teleport to it. There's Foresight, which basically lets you invis + noclip so you can scout ahead. And finally you have Semblance, which lets you steal the appearance of an unconscious character. This lets you get past guards, but your mana runs out as you move. There's also no more mana potions, your mana will always recharge to full even if you completely drain it.

I think it's only stealth-oriented in the sense that you can no longer make yourself a killing machine, capable of taking on multiple guards with ease. If you want to deal with multiple NPC's, you'll need to either sneak past them or get some help from your friends "grenade" and "mine."

Seventh Arrow fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 26, 2017

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Seventh Arrow posted:

Death of the Outsider is interesting so far, I just started the third mission. Because you don't have the Outsider's mark, you only have three default powers and you can't upgrade or change them in any way. You have Displace, which is like Blink except that you place a marker and then teleport to it. There's Foresight, which basically lets you invis + noclip so you can scout ahead. And finally you have Semblance, which lets you steal the appearance of an unconscious character. This lets you get past guards, but your mana runs out as you move. There's also no more mana potions, your mana will always recharge to full even if you completely drain it.

I think it's only stealth-oriented in the sense that you can no longer make yourself a killing machine, capable of taking on multiple guards with ease. If you want to deal with multiple NPC's, you'll need to either sneak past them or get some help from your friends "grenade" and "mine."

The bolded part sounds especially great - I always found that annoying, when I want to just mess around, so having it always recharge (eventually) without needing to keep an eye out for potions is great.
Sounds good overall, too! I think I'll have to pick it up sometime, (soon, preferably!) as everything you just described is how I liked playing the main Dishonored games, anyway.

Although, just curious - does your D2 playthrough get factored in, at all? Specifically, in the mission "A Crack in the Slab", I believe it's called. Since in one playthrough I knocked whats-his-face out so he survived and Megan didn't lose her arm and get a scar on her face, while in my other playthrough I simply left him untouched so that the timeline would continue, and Megan continued to only have one arm. Will that change anything in DotO, if you know? (I'm not expecting anything major, but I suppose it might impact some dialogue and/or a minor choice, or something)

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Major Isoor posted:

The bolded part sounds especially great - I always found that annoying, when I want to just mess around, so having it always recharge (eventually) without needing to keep an eye out for potions is great.
Sounds good overall, too! I think I'll have to pick it up sometime, (soon, preferably!) as everything you just described is how I liked playing the main Dishonored games, anyway.

Although you have to be a bit careful, because your disguise could fizzle out when you're in the middle of a pack of cops. But if you keep an eye on your mana bar, it shouldn't be a big deal.

quote:

Although, just curious - does your D2 playthrough get factored in, at all? Specifically, in the mission "A Crack in the Slab", I believe it's called. Since in one playthrough I knocked whats-his-face out so he survived and Megan didn't lose her arm and get a scar on her face, while in my other playthrough I simply left him untouched so that the timeline would continue, and Megan continued to only have one arm. Will that change anything in DotO, if you know? (I'm not expecting anything major, but I suppose it might impact some dialogue and/or a minor choice, or something)

The game assumes that you knocked out whats-his-face from "A Crack in the Slab." So Billie starts the game off with her arm and eye intact. Although that only lasts one mission; you then get in a tussle with the Outsider and you get a weird void arm and terminator eye. This encounter also gives you your powers, although it's not apparent why, since you refuse the Outsider's mark. Maybe he just leaks void power like radiation or something.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Seventh Arrow posted:

Although you have to be a bit careful, because your disguise could fizzle out when you're in the middle of a pack of cops. But if you keep an eye on your mana bar, it shouldn't be a big deal.

The game assumes that you knocked out whats-his-face from "A Crack in the Slab." So Billie starts the game off with her arm and eye intact. Although that only lasts one mission; you then get in a tussle with the Outsider and you get a weird void arm and terminator eye. This encounter also gives you your powers, although it's not apparent why, since you refuse the Outsider's mark. Maybe he just leaks void power like radiation or something.

Ah, right OK then. Well, that's fair enough then, seeing as it ultimately doesn't matter, due to the second part you mentioned.
Hopefully it gets even a token discount soon, since I'm really starting to want to play this...

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I don't know about that. Steam had a Bethesda publisher sale not long ago and of course DotO didn't get a discount, so it might be a while. Hopefully they might just wait until sales start to drop off before giving it a mini-sale or something.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I didn't like DH2 as much as DH1, but I can't figure out why. Maybe it's because I played it on PS4 versus PC, so I had to go with a controller instead of KBM.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Dishonored 2 is really good. It's maybe a little more uneven than the first one and the story gets in the way more, but the good parts are so good

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Yeah the Jindosh mansion and Stilton manor were some really inventive level design, very ambitious. It was even fun to go through the Dunwall fortress at the end, too.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Dishonored 2 is really good. It's maybe a little more uneven than the first one and the story gets in the way more, but the good parts are so good

Clockwork Mansion is pretty amazing, even the asylum was good. I need to finish it

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Just found out that "Dreadful Wale" is an anagram of "Farewell Daud" (DotO spoiler)

:eyepop:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Seventh Arrow posted:

Just found out that "Dreadful Wale" is an anagram of "Farewell Daud" (DotO spoiler)

:eyepop:

check this out: Look at the first letter of each chapter in dead space

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Man, that is some "Purloined Letter" level of craziness.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Ok, so I finished Death of the Outsider and I guess the TL;DR is that if you liked Dishonored 2, you'll probably like it. If you didn't like D2 then this is not going to change your mind. There's a bit of recycled content - Mission 3 takes place in the same area as Mission 2, except at night. However, in Mission 3 you can access the bank which does add a bit more content. Mission 4 takes place at the Royal Conservatory from Dishonored 2. The only differences are that now it's full of overseers instead of guards and witches; also, you can't even access the rest of the town. There are five missions total and in the last one you get to travel through the void and sneak around its inhabitants. Apparently they can be killed, but they seem to be quite damage-resistant. The ending was interesting, but they kind of played it wishy-washy with regards to the future. They didn't seem like they wanted to reveal too much about whether the future of the isles would change much or not. Believe it or not, you don't actually have to kill the Outsider. If you learn his name, he just becomes a normal dude and you literally leave him to wander the streets of Karnaca. How's he even going to get a job? There's definitely some good sneaking to be had here and the new powers are really neat.

edit: what game should I play next? Death to Spies, Republique, or Invisible, Inc?

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

So I tried out Death to Spies, as well as Death to Spies: Moment of Truth and its sorta-sequel Alekhine's Gun and I wasn't really feeling it. It's basically WW2 Hitman in Germany. You're a Russian spy infiltrating various Nazi strongholds by the use of disguises, and while that sounds cool, for me it didn't really hold up. The games are quite hard but often this isn't due to intriguing level design but clunky mechanics and lack of polish. The games seem to have good reviews on steam, but they seem to be by people who like this "uphill battle" level of challenge. I've decided instead to replay Fallout New Vegas for a bit and then I'll probably dive back into stealth with either Republique or a recent game called Serial Cleaner.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

serial cleaner looks boring

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Seventh Arrow posted:

the outsider turns you into a time paradox basically - you're caught in between Billie with arm and eye and Billie without arm and eye, so you get weirdo void replacements, which are what gives you your powers. it's a pretty neat way to deal with the two possible outcomes from dishonored 2

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

So I finished Republique, and it's a bit of a mixed bag. For a brief overview, you play a teenaged girl named "390-H" or "Hope," as she calls herself. She lives in a totalitarian regime that seems somewhere between "1984" and "Brave New World." You play a hacker whose job it is to help guide Hope out of the world of Republique by way of making sneak.

I guess the first thing to point out is that this is really a point & click adventure game with stealth mechanics bolted on. You need to interact with the environment and items in your inventory to keep the story moving. This game is clearly a mobile port, so you control Hope by clicking on the spot that you want to move her to. You also have to take control of the cameras throughout Republique to not only see where Hope is going, but also to scout ahead for guards and obstacles. I quite liked the story and characters; you can collect media like tapes and emails that help flesh out parts of the story, like how the dictator (named Treglazov) came to power. This is good, because the gameplay is nothing special and the interface is rather clunky. The voice acting is also interesting, with David Hayter playing a charismatic rebel, Dwight Schultz as Treglazov, Khary Payton as a ruthless guard and Jennifer Hale in the most ridiculous french accent you've heard outside of Monty Python.

There are five episodes and it needs to be said that Ep 5 reuses maps from Ep 2 and all of the episodes feature a lot of backtracking. However, it's not a bad game and I rather liked it. Whether or not you should get it depends on how much point & click adventure you want in your stealth game.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Hm, OK - that's actually quite a bit different from what I was originally expecting. Still sounds interesting, though; I might need to pick it up on-sale at some point.
Also, thanks for the warning about Death to Spies - I think I'll avoid that game. I mean, I always knew it was meant to be quite hard, but I figured that would be due to challenging level design - not clunky mechanics!

Also, for those who play Hitman, I'm pretty sure the first elusive target re-run starts in like, the next twelve hours. It's 'The Forger', set in Paris. Although if you killed him in the original run of elusive targets, the mission isn't available.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Well, it seems to me that Death to Spies is difficult due to clunkiness and by design, so it's doubly hard; that said, people on the fence might want to watch a Let's Play to get a better idea.

I'm currently playing Invisible Inc and this is also challenging, but the challenge factor is well-designed. It's tricky, but not unfair - at least, not so far.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Invisible Inc is really great, I love Klei

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
yeah, invisible inc is a really elegant and interesting game. i still need to get back into it, i never got around to trying the expansion...

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh, quick question - would it be fine for me to uninstall Dishonored 2 and still play D2:DotO without issues? I would assume so as they're separate game entries on Steam, (and are both quite large) however I do recall that there are some games/expansions that are (somewhat annoyingly) listed separately but still have shared assets.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You have my permission at least. Go for it

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I didn't have Dishonored 2 installed when I played DotO and it was fine.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Alright then, thanks you two! :D I'll uninstall D2 in the morning then, seeing as it's so big

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
[quote="“Major Isoor”" post="“479143928”"]
Alright then, thanks you two! :D I’ll uninstall D2 in the morning then, seeing as it’s so big
[/quote]

I hope it goes well. Best of luck

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Slightly late in saying this, but sure enough it works - no shared assets between them! (Which is a bit of a relief for me, as I have a download cap imposed by the ISP, and Dishonored 2 is quite large...)
As a result I've been playing through Death of the Outsider on-and-off this week, and it's quite good. I read online that a lot of people complained about most powers and Chaos being removed from the game, but honestly it's a bit of a relief for me, in a way - I can just go through however I like, killing Eyeless members and (normally) only knocking out guards, without needing to worry about the kills I made racking up and ruining the state of the in-game world at the end. (Plus there's no achievement for avoiding killing, so I don't feel compelled to go for it. Only the 'no detections' one, which I like the challenge of more)

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Just to add to this thread because Stealth games are underrated: this game called Clandestine is really underrated and flew under the radar when it came out: http://store.steampowered.com/app/290530/Clandestine/. It's usually ~70% off during Steam sales and I highly recommend it. You can do 2-player (non-local) co-op, too.

Also, Invisible Inc is the best stealth game in recent memory imho.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

That looks cool...sort of like budget splinter cell. I've added it to my wishlist, although I'm wondering if you can really play it single player, or is it like Orcs Must Die 2 where playing it with anything other than two people is going to have you pulling out your hair?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

if anything the chaos system was my biggest problem with the dishonored series so Im glad at least one of the dlcs did away with that.

i should replay 1 and its dlc in prep for playing through 2

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i was watching an old review from a dude I like on YT and he played himself, doing the thing where he was savescumming dishonored and playing it in the most tedious way by reloading at any slight error over and over and of course he didnt really like the game

thats why a lot of stealth games dont give you magic quick save powers and either put a hard limit on them like Hitman or use checkpoints/static savepoints in the world etc., to protect the player from themselves and never let them ruin the funnest part of the game: improvising when poo poo hits the fan

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i think often the problem with stealth games is when they dont make the escape have any interesting or fun gameplay mechanics involved, cementing it as a black and white failure state.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ArfJason posted:

i think often the problem with stealth games is when they dont make the escape have any interesting or fun gameplay mechanics involved, cementing it as a black and white failure state.

yeah, thats what makes the quicksave stuff in dh doubly unfortunate, you literally have an arsenal of cool powers to use when you gently caress up and all sorts of dynamic things can happen with the AI and environment, instead a lot of players skip this and hit the quickload lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ArfJason posted:

This is why MGS does stealth right imo, you almost always have a way out or an alternative if you get spotted.

IdealFlaws
Aug 23, 2005

Pablo Gigante posted:

This is why MGS does stealth right imo, you almost always have a way out or an alternative if you get spotted.

Yeah I think they intentionally make combat in alert status an uphill battle in the early metal gears so at the least it makes you want to avoid it. It's still an option but still troublesome

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Pablo Gigante posted:

its not really about having an alternative but making that alternative engagin in its own way separate from the stealth

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i don’t know why some stealth games half rear end it if you get detected. either put in the effort to make combat/escape enjoyable or just give an instant game over if you’re spotted imo

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

ive been playing satellite reign and like how it wont let you save at all during a mission so you just have to commit to being spotted and either escalate into combat or try to stealth long enough the alert dissapears.. unless of course you want to play in the most tedious way possible and load a save to start all over again in which case you should be the next elusive target in hitman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

trying to jack off posted:

ive been playing satellite reign and like how it wont let you save at all during a mission so you just have to commit to being spotted and either escalate into combat or try to stealth long enough the alert dissapears.. unless of course you want to play in the most tedious way possible and load a save to start all over again in which case you should be the next elusive target in hitman

Honestly you can just, like, run around a corner and crouch and they'll forget you're there in about ten seconds. Fun game though. I like having a couple of absurdly beefy lads blowing things up while my stealth and hacker stroll in in the background