Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh also, after reading some more about the Shadow Tactics characters, I like how they all basically have a pretty clear equivalent from the Commandos 2 squad. :D Since I mean:

- Yuki (obviously equivalent to the thief)
- Mugen (equivalent to the green beret, due to being the 'strong' character who can lift heavy objects, etc.)
- Hayato (seems to be a bit of a combination/all-rounder. I guess he kinda has some aspects of the green beret, as well as others like perhaps the Australian diver guy)
- Aiko (the seductress/"Lips" from C2)
- Takuma (seems to be a combo of the sniper and sapper, from C2)

Not a bad thing at all, I just like how they've drawn inspiration from the classics, and have the same general "band of people drawn together from different walks of life" (perhaps unwillingly at first) aspect of the game, I guess.

One thing I'm curious about though, is Hayato's shuriken. Like, is he able to retrieve and re-use them in the same mission? I certainly hope so, since I see myself using him and Yuki a lot on missions, (compared to the others, anyway) to sneak around the place etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I think the shuriken has a cooldown, I don't remember it needing to be restocked. Yuki can lure guards away with a whistle and quietly kill them with a trap, so it's almost a challenge not to overuse her.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Seventh Arrow posted:

I think the shuriken has a cooldown, I don't remember it needing to be restocked. Yuki can lure guards away with a whistle and quietly kill them with a trap, so it's almost a challenge not to overuse her.

Oh, speaking of which, I remember reading that the shuriken (and all other attacks that aren't made by Mugen, I think?) don't hurt the top-level samurai enemies. So, is that the case for traps as well, or can those enemies still be killed by walking into Yuki's trap? (And if not, will the trap trigger and fail, causing the enemy to be alerted, or will it just sit there and remain untriggered?)

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

the shuriken has a cooldown and you have to physically pick it up with hayato before you can use it again

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Seventh Arrow posted:

you need to pick up everyone's item after they use it

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Major Isoor posted:

Oh, speaking of which, I remember reading that the shuriken (and all other attacks that aren't made by Mugen, I think?) don't hurt the top-level samurai enemies. So, is that the case for traps as well, or can those enemies still be killed by walking into Yuki's trap? (And if not, will the trap trigger and fail, causing the enemy to be alerted, or will it just sit there and remain untriggered?)

only mugen doing direct 1 on 1, explosions, and gun shot + melee from other characters can kill samurai

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Major Isoor posted:

It's a moot point because the samurai enemies can't be lured away from their posts.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

environmental kills also work on samurai

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Haven't encountered samurai yet, but thanks again everyone, for recommending Shadow Tactics - it's just so good! I love it how every character has their own way of performing tasks, even down to stuff like carrying bodies. On the topic of which, that's related to my only (and very minor) gripe/nitpick with the game - since Hayato can only stand while carrying bodies over his shoulders, and can't crouch. Would be nice if he could crouch (similar to Yuki) at the cost of slowing down, or even having to stop entirely.

But yeah, Yuki and Hayato are definitely my favourites so far - I'll try and avoid over-using Yuki's trap as Seventh Arrow mentioned, since yeah, definitely seems like something that can be overused. (Which would make the game much less fun/interesting anyway, I think)

EDIT: Oh also, I like the comments the main characters make to each other, on various topics - like when a character performs an ability successfully, or pushes a boulder off a cliff, etc. It's got a lot of nice little touches like that, I think.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 3, 2018

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

it does feel a bit silly that yuki is “better” at carrying bodies than eg hayato because she does it at a crouch, which lets her kill people in the shaded viewcone of enemies much easier than other characters.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
shadow tactics owns and now I wanna replay it

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

BBJoey posted:

it does feel a bit silly that yuki is “better” at carrying bodies than eg hayato because she does it at a crouch, which lets her kill people in the shaded viewcone of enemies much easier than other characters.

Yeah, I agree. I mean, I guess from a gameplay perspective it's evened-out a little by the fact that IIRC she takes a second or so longer to stab people with her knife, compared to Hayato and Mugen with their katanas. (Or wakizashi, or whatever it is that Hayato uses)
It's definitely odd though, since as you said, in a lot of cases it straight-up makes her better than the actual ninja at striking an enemy among other foes, then slipping away with the body behind the cover of crates, wagons, etc.

Regardless, it's $20 well-spent! Can't wait to dive back in, after work today. (Also actually, just thought - is there a button where you can view a mission's challenges, prior to on the completion screen at the end? I'm certain there would be an option somewhere, although I haven't seen it)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I started playing it because of this thread too and it rules. I was wondering if the game was going to have levels with more than 3 characters available because it seemed like more than that would be overkill. But tonight I just did the first level with 4 characters and holy poo poo it's huge. Things are gonna get insane by the end.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

I started playing it because of this thread too and it rules. I was wondering if the game was going to have levels with more than 3 characters available because it seemed like more than that would be overkill. But tonight I just did the first level with 4 characters and holy poo poo it's huge. Things are gonna get insane by the end.

Oh hang on, so you can replay levels with characters you've unlocked later on?! Haven't replayed any levels yet (only completed a couple so far) so that's cool, if so. Out of curiosity, does it add extra dialogue for the characters who were there in the original playthrough, or are they simply silent throughout the mission? (e.g. if you bring Yuki along for the first mission, even though she was introduced in mission two)

And yeah, I agree - seems like it would get crazy pretty quickly, if you could use all five at once...certainly crazy enough that I'll be more than willing to try! :D

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I think they're saying they played 'the first level that had 4 characters available', not that they played the first level with 4 characters.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Hat Thoughts posted:

I think they're saying they played 'the first level that had 4 characters available', not that they played the first level with 4 characters.

Ah, yeah re-read it and that definitely makes more sense! :D (I probably shouldn't post when tired...)
But yeah, I was quite hopeful because a lot of games give you more freedom in that regard, after you beat the main game - just to let you mess around more. Either way, I've just done another mission tonight; I like the kinds of restrictions/challenges (and new means of getting around, etc. like those zipline things) they've been adding in each level.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hat Thoughts posted:

Right. If you could take more characters back to earlier levels that would be overkill since they're not complex enough to need them. But my point was that as the game continues, the levels increase sufficiently in size and complexity that having more characters available feels absolutely necessary.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
[quote="“Major Isoor”" post="“479864212”"]
Haven’t encountered samurai yet, but thanks again everyone, for recommending Shadow Tactics - it’s just so good! I love it how every character has their own way of performing tasks, even down to stuff like carrying bodies. On the topic of which, that’s related to my only (and very minor) gripe/nitpick with the game - since Hayato can only stand while carrying bodies over his shoulders, and can’t crouch. Would be nice if he could crouch (similar to Yuki) at the cost of slowing down, or even having to stop entirely.

But yeah, Yuki and Hayato are definitely my favourites so far - I’ll try and avoid over-using Yuki’s trap as Seventh Arrow mentioned, since yeah, definitely seems like something that can be overused. (Which would make the game much less fun/interesting anyway, I think)

EDIT: Oh also, I like the comments the main characters make to each other, on various topics - like when a character performs an ability successfully, or pushes a boulder off a cliff, etc. It’s got a lot of nice little touches like that, I think.
[/quote]

i have no idea what this game is but this post makes me want to have it

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

rediscover posted:

Well the steam sale is on for one more day so now would be a good time to snag it.

In other news, I saw an upcoming stealth game on GOG called "Wildfire." You play a guy who can use the elements of fire, water, and earth to manipulate the environment and sneak around bad guys. It looks pretty neat from what I've seen so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnX0Y_XCVo8

https://www.gog.com/game/wildfire

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

rediscover posted:

It's pretty fun! Even with the sale I was initially a bit unsure about the $20 price tag (since all these huge Steam discounts and single-digit price tags have made me more stingy during sale-time, plus I've got a lot of games that need playing, anyway) but to me, it's definitely worth the asking price.

I don't know if anyone else goes by something like this, (or if I'm just weird) but my general standard of whether a game has been a good purchase or not is if the cost:playtime ratio is roughly a dollar an hour. (With some exceptions, like if I know the game is really short, but is a high-quality story-driven game) And yeah, I can definitely see me sinking 20+hrs into this game, easily.

Seventh Arrow posted:

Well the steam sale is on for one more day so now would be a good time to snag it.

In other news, I saw an upcoming stealth game on GOG called "Wildfire." You play a guy who can use the elements of fire, water, and earth to manipulate the environment and sneak around bad guys. It looks pretty neat from what I've seen so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnX0Y_XCVo8

https://www.gog.com/game/wildfire

Oh wow, that's quite an interesting concept; I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Major late game spoilers for Blades of the Shogun: (the second Tsuru chapter)I was surprised at how devastated I was when Mugen killed himself. It's not exactly the deepest story but the characters grew on me. Couple that with the fact that he took with him a bunch of useful abilities and that loss really hurt.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Final level of Blades of the Shogun took me over 3 hours. What a cool game.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

Regy Rusty posted:

The first half of the last level is brutal when you have to sneak through the outer walls

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

apropos to nothing posted:

The first half of the last level is brutal when you have to sneak through the outer walls

That one passage with two samurai and a bunch of straw hats watching every angle was a nightmare.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Regy Rusty posted:

the last level kicked rear end. some day i;ll play thru on hardmode and try to do the speed run challenges and alternate ways to kill targets like the last dude

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

mysterious loyall X posted:

the last level kicked rear end. some day i;ll play thru on hardmode and try to do the speed run challenges and alternate ways to kill targets like the last dude

I did most of the challenges for the earlier levels but then just kinda stopped at the last couple cause they're just so hard

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

mysterious loyall X posted:

I reloaded my last save a bunch to kill him all the different ways cause I hate that guy

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China, India, Russia

After playing through the og Assassin's Creed, then II, Brotherhood and Revelations, I took a big long break from the series and never really showed interest in any of the subsequent titles (well ok, except for Rogue). However, AC Chronicles: China caught my eye, being touted as a 2D stealth game (or 2.5D, as you can move to levels in the background and foreground); it looked interesting and I figured I'd give it a whirl, but then found out there were two other entries, India and Russia. China takes place at the tail end of the Ming Dynasty, India takes place during the Sikh Empire, and Russia occurs during the transformative events of the October Revolution.

Of course, a side-scrolling stealth game is going to invite comparisons to Mark of the Ninja and I'll have to say right off the bat that none of the three topple MotN's status as a top-tier stealth sidescroller. I will say that they all have gorgeous art direction, especially in the backdrops as you play through the levels. China has a flowing, watercolour style to it; India is fashioned in more of a (of course) psychedelic-type direction; Russia looks like a Soviet-era propaganda poster come to life. All three of the games give the player a different set of gadgets which they can use to leap, sneak, and shimmy stealthily through each level. The game works best when it gives the player a stealth puzzle and free reign to solve as desired, either dispatching enemies or ghosting through to your heart's content.

Unfortunately, India and Russia seem terribly confused as to what a stealth game is. Both games are marred by very unforgiving timed sequences that players must barrel through or replay from the start. These contain what I refer to as hard timers (a literal numeric countdown appears on the screen) and soft timers (the player must outrun the fire or apprehend and NPC before he reaches the door, etc). It seems hard to believe that someone would actually make a stealth game where you would see words like "Hurry! Get to place X in time!" on the screen, but here it is. Even people who like to play stealth games in a more action-y way (Dishonored, Splinter Cell Blacklist) still have the freedom to play at their own pace. Also, the combat is pretty clunky, at least with m+kb. Fortunately, you don't really need to do all that much combat but China and India each have a bossfight where you can't avoid it.

Overall, I would say that if you're really jonesing for a 2D stealth game then give China a try. I wish I could recommend India and Russia more because of the great art direction but I think you should only try them out if you're willing to endure some pretty unforgiving action sequences.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
CBOOTAA! PABEHCTBO!!
4 PATCTBO!!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lmfao

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

hey man EXPOSITION is NO JOKE

comrade

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
anyway i like the art style on those

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

wow, the templars have sunk to a new low.... assassinating the romanovs? for what crime?!

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Funny that you should ask, but you go to ask your ol' pal Leon (Trotsky) what's going on and he BETRAYS YOU!!!

Also, you play part of the game as Anastasia because why not.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Seventh Arrow posted:

Funny that you should ask, but you go to ask your ol' pal Leon (Trotsky) what's going on and he BETRAYS YOU!!!

Also, you play part of the game as Anastasia because why not.

What the

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Yeah, Anastasia Romanov manages to escape the Bolshevics and runs into the protagonist, Orelov. Orelov decides to help her but then she touches a precursor artifact that he was wearing on his neck and she becomes possessed by the spirit of the AC China protagonist. This gives her stabby-stabby assassin abilities and so you play parts of the game as Orelov and part of the game as Anastasia. Orelov has a bunch of gadgets and Anastasia has some abilities that make her temporarily invisible. See? It all makes sense!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Seventh Arrow posted:

Yeah, Anastasia Romanov manages to escape the Bolshevics and runs into the protagonist, Orelov. Orelov decides to help her but then she touches a precursor artifact that he was wearing on his neck and she becomes possessed by the spirit of the AC China protagonist. This gives her stabby-stabby assassin abilities and so you play parts of the game as Orelov and part of the game as Anastasia. Orelov has a bunch of gadgets and Anastasia has some abilities that make her temporarily invisible. See? It all makes sense!
This is also the basic plot of Jak 3.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like how when coming up for a bad guy in the revolution they picked lenin of all people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

The real villain of the game actually turns out to be the Russia chapter of the Assassins, since they want to experiment on Anastasia and find out how she got her stabby-stabby powers. But joke's on them, she ends up stabbing them all.