Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

"Remember Imp, this is a sneaking mission. Try not to get caught!"
sorry, couldn't resist

Anyway, stealth games have to be among my favourite game genres, and I for one am always interested in hearing about more stealthy games that I haven't played before. (Or talking about ones I have played, especially as there are normally multiple ways around various obstacles ingame - so each player often comes up with their own solution)

Recently I've been playing Dishonored 2 without powers and without being spotted, which has been very interesting - certainly a solid improvement over the original, I feel. (I've also been playing Hitman (2016) recently, which I'd say is probably slightly better, overall. Both are great games, though)
Needless to say, my all-time favourite stealth games are No One Lives Forever 2, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory and Metal Gear Solid 3. That being said, I also like playing other shooters, etc. as stealthily as possible - even if it's not intended, I'll normally try to slink around FPS' picking off enemies without starting firefights. I might be alone in that, though :D

So yeah, thus ends my mini-wall of text. If any of you also like stealth games, I'd love to hear from you! I'm always interested in finding out about new stealth games with cool mechanics, and the like.

----- Seventh Arrow's Reviews -----
Since Seventh Arrow is our resident expert on creating stealth game write-ups with save-scummed levels of precision, here they are:

Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China, India, Russia
Shadwen
Clandestine
Serial Cleaner
Volume
Seven: The Days Long Gone
Crookz: The Big Heist
Ghost of a Tale
Velvet Assassin
Party Hard
Thief Simulator
The Slater
Aragami 2
Winter Ember
Shadow Tactics: Aiko's Choice
Undetected
Sneak Thief (don't buy)
Sniper Elite 3
Sniper Elite 4
A Plague Tale: Innocence
A Plague Tale: Requiem
Sniper Elite 5
Hitman 3
Desperados III
Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor
The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay
Mark of the Ninja: Remastered
Neon Struct
Calvino Noir
Gunpoint
Gone Rogue
Intravenous
Wildfire
Dishonored
Dishonored 2
Dishonored: Death of the Outsider
Aragami
Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew
No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy in H.A.R.M.'s Way
Deus Ex
Deus Ex: Invisible War (IT KEEPS CRASHING)
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
No Sun To Worship
Filcher
Serial Cleaners
Styx: Master of Shadows
Styx: Shards of Darkness
Thief: The Dark Project
Thief 2: The Metal Age
Thief 2X: Shadows of the Metal Age
Thief: Deadly Shadows
Thief: The Black Parade
Thief (2014)
Aveliana
The Chameleon

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Mar 30, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Plebian Parasite posted:

I found Dishonored 2 to have really annoying stealth mechanics, the guards are dumb as hell, but the regular NPCs had eyes like hawks and you could never tell if they were watching you until after you choked someone out and ruined it.

Huh, I didn't notice that too much - what difficulty were you playing on? I'm playing on hard, and although the civilians definitely spot you carrying a dead body from a mile away, the guards didn't seem to be too bad/stupid. (Certainly no worse than MGS guards, at least! :D )
Fair call on the mechanics part, though. I mean, I have gotten used to and like them, but other friends of mine never did and don't like them, either. I think it's very much a 'love it or hate it' kind of game, compared to others in the genre.

Liquid Drink posted:

I never played a splinter cell game. Which would be a good one to start? I hear they are kind of hit or miss.

extremebuff posted:

chaos theory is regarded by many as the best one, there are PC ports of the splinter cell games but the older ports are completely broken and the newer games aren't that great

Yeah, if you don't mind slightly clunky controls from the 2000s, then Chaos Theory is best. Otherwise, I recommend Blacklist - I didn't think I'd like it prior to buying it on sale and playing it, but I found that it was really enjoyable. Certainly a bit more 'actiony' than Chaos Theory (so take that as you will, depending on what kind of stealth game you're after), but I liked it quite a lot, all the same.
Otherwise, I agree completely with extremebuff. The older games don't run so well on PC (although if you still have a PS2 floating around, Pandora Tomorrow is still good), and Double Agent + Conviction aren't really worth playing. I can only recommend playing Conviction if you get it cheap, and you play it for the 100% actiony stealth coop campaign. (Chaos Theory has a coop campaign as well though, however it's naturally a lot less forgiving)

EDIT: Also, is it just me, or does anyone else tend to put knocked-out civilians in more comfortable positions, like on a couch, or bed, or at least propped up against a wall? (While guards can just be dumped behind some crates or in a dumpster, or just anywhere out of sight)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jul 7, 2017

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Yeah, I agree - being detected in MGS2 was always a lot more difficult to handle than in MGS3, simply due to the fact that you're confined to an oil rig instead of being out in the jungle, as you said. (And heaven forbid you being seen by a drone while on a walkway! Then enemies will spew out onto the walkway from both ends, and you'd have no hope)
I like MGS2 a lot, but yeah I dunno, I just love the MGS3 setting and camouflage options - since normally in games (especially out at the same time as MGS3) camo didn't matter; if the AI could see any part of you, that's it.

Jerry Cotton posted:

I tried doing this in Battlefield Bad Company, skirting around enemies and sniping dudes but turns out they made the game so it's either impossible or pointless in most levels because there's literally not enough space to go around (which is, you know, what an actual soldier would do in most scenarios in the game) and more enemies spawn when you get closer to stuff so sniping isn't really worth the effort. But when it worked it was good.

Ah, yeah I remember doing that as well, actually! The restrictive maps (compared to say, BF1942) was a bit annoying at times, but yeah when you pulled it off it felt great. Besides, if you don't pull it off and get into a huge gunfight while you try pulling out, it does make sense thematically too, since y'know, your company is meant to be the shittest one in the US Army, after all! :D

extremely steampunk posted:

Invisible Inc is pretty good, as far as I know it's the only isometric turn-based stealth game out there, so it has some novelty

also Mark of the Ninja which I mention because it was made by the same developer

Ah, I've actually got MotN from last sale, now that I think about it...I haven't actually played it yet, though. :shobon: I've just finished Dishonored 2 though, so I might need to start that up next, and give it a whirl.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Well, after a long time playing Rainbow Six, I've bought PUBG. I've only played it for a few hours, but I love lurking and slinking around in it, much like in H1Z1:KotK. After an hour or so of playing, I managed to reach 5th spot without killing anyone, which was pretty cool. (Could've shot a guy near the end, but I decided to let him run off and get himself killed by someone else, so I could remain hidden. Worked well enough, as him and his killer both died as a result)
Seems pretty good so far! Definitely more streamlined than H1Z1, but I think all the changes they made were for the best, from what I've seen so far. I like all the attachments, too.

Is anyone else here in the Asia Pacific/Oceania region? Pretty sure there aren't any other Aussies around here, but I wouldn't mind playing with others in the same general region, so that my ping isn't terrible.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

Yeah the basic idea of dayz is good (deathmatch with a big map and sparse drops) but the execution is horrible. I'm gonna buy this today I think because the king of the hill mode in h1z1 was almost good enough in my book

Yeah, that's basically how I felt about KotK too, although I hadn't played DayZ myself. (A lot of my friends did though, so I've heard about it) I think you should like it; it seems like a pretty decent mix of the two games' mechanics.
(Also, in case you didn't know, the free-to-open crate prices double each time you buy one - but it resets each week. So you might want to only buy 2-3 per week, and just save the rest of your exp/BP for the following week - otherwise the prices get insane)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh also, does anyone else here like the UMP in PUBG? It seems like everyone I know hates the UMP, regardless of the game! But whenever I use it, I always have great success, putting people down at close to medium range. I don't get what the fuss is, myself - but all my friends really hate it with a passion, so I'm curious to see if I'm in the minority, or they are. (I assume I am though, admittedly)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

mysterious loyall X posted:

That feel when you click on a thread called stealth games and inatead of shadow tactics, mgs, mark of the ninja, tenchu etc ppl are talking about pbug and h1z1
Truly sad!

:( Well, you're always welcome to draw attention away from PUBG! (Which I think I will now pee-bug instead of pub-gee as per your typo, as that sounds much better/more easy to remember!) I only brought it up, because I like playing games similar to PUBG stealthily, rather than running-and-gunning like a lot of players seem to.

Also, I agree about Thief ttjo, although I prefer Deadly Shadows (or whatever it was called) over the earlier ones, myself. I think I'm in the minority on that, though.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I appreciate your passion for stealth gaming, but... have you played MGS1-4 yet?

Yeah, definitely play MGS3, Seventh Arrow. Although it has a few boss fights that are (more-or-less) un-stealthable, it's the best game in the series.

Seventh Arrow posted:

Anyways, up next are Invisible Inc, Death to Spies, and Republique.

Also, let me know how these go, if/when you wind up finishing them! I've been curious about buying/playing all three of these, so I wouldn't mind hearing opinions on them.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Seventh Arrow posted:

Next up: Death of the Outsider. Has anyone tried it? I've heard it's more stealth-oriented than vanilla Dishonored 2.

Oh, I didn't realize DotO has already come out! Let me know how it goes; I haven't heard anything about it, although if what you say about it being more stealth-oriented is true, I might need to get it sooner rather than later. Sounds good!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Seventh Arrow posted:

Death of the Outsider is interesting so far, I just started the third mission. Because you don't have the Outsider's mark, you only have three default powers and you can't upgrade or change them in any way. You have Displace, which is like Blink except that you place a marker and then teleport to it. There's Foresight, which basically lets you invis + noclip so you can scout ahead. And finally you have Semblance, which lets you steal the appearance of an unconscious character. This lets you get past guards, but your mana runs out as you move. There's also no more mana potions, your mana will always recharge to full even if you completely drain it.

I think it's only stealth-oriented in the sense that you can no longer make yourself a killing machine, capable of taking on multiple guards with ease. If you want to deal with multiple NPC's, you'll need to either sneak past them or get some help from your friends "grenade" and "mine."

The bolded part sounds especially great - I always found that annoying, when I want to just mess around, so having it always recharge (eventually) without needing to keep an eye out for potions is great.
Sounds good overall, too! I think I'll have to pick it up sometime, (soon, preferably!) as everything you just described is how I liked playing the main Dishonored games, anyway.

Although, just curious - does your D2 playthrough get factored in, at all? Specifically, in the mission "A Crack in the Slab", I believe it's called. Since in one playthrough I knocked whats-his-face out so he survived and Megan didn't lose her arm and get a scar on her face, while in my other playthrough I simply left him untouched so that the timeline would continue, and Megan continued to only have one arm. Will that change anything in DotO, if you know? (I'm not expecting anything major, but I suppose it might impact some dialogue and/or a minor choice, or something)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Seventh Arrow posted:

Although you have to be a bit careful, because your disguise could fizzle out when you're in the middle of a pack of cops. But if you keep an eye on your mana bar, it shouldn't be a big deal.

The game assumes that you knocked out whats-his-face from "A Crack in the Slab." So Billie starts the game off with her arm and eye intact. Although that only lasts one mission; you then get in a tussle with the Outsider and you get a weird void arm and terminator eye. This encounter also gives you your powers, although it's not apparent why, since you refuse the Outsider's mark. Maybe he just leaks void power like radiation or something.

Ah, right OK then. Well, that's fair enough then, seeing as it ultimately doesn't matter, due to the second part you mentioned.
Hopefully it gets even a token discount soon, since I'm really starting to want to play this...

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Hm, OK - that's actually quite a bit different from what I was originally expecting. Still sounds interesting, though; I might need to pick it up on-sale at some point.
Also, thanks for the warning about Death to Spies - I think I'll avoid that game. I mean, I always knew it was meant to be quite hard, but I figured that would be due to challenging level design - not clunky mechanics!

Also, for those who play Hitman, I'm pretty sure the first elusive target re-run starts in like, the next twelve hours. It's 'The Forger', set in Paris. Although if you killed him in the original run of elusive targets, the mission isn't available.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh, quick question - would it be fine for me to uninstall Dishonored 2 and still play D2:DotO without issues? I would assume so as they're separate game entries on Steam, (and are both quite large) however I do recall that there are some games/expansions that are (somewhat annoyingly) listed separately but still have shared assets.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Alright then, thanks you two! :D I'll uninstall D2 in the morning then, seeing as it's so big

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Slightly late in saying this, but sure enough it works - no shared assets between them! (Which is a bit of a relief for me, as I have a download cap imposed by the ISP, and Dishonored 2 is quite large...)
As a result I've been playing through Death of the Outsider on-and-off this week, and it's quite good. I read online that a lot of people complained about most powers and Chaos being removed from the game, but honestly it's a bit of a relief for me, in a way - I can just go through however I like, killing Eyeless members and (normally) only knocking out guards, without needing to worry about the kills I made racking up and ruining the state of the in-game world at the end. (Plus there's no achievement for avoiding killing, so I don't feel compelled to go for it. Only the 'no detections' one, which I like the challenge of more)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I agree but really you can look at any genre that isn't reflex/reaction heavy the same way. Ammo management, resource balancing, party composition etc can all be boiled down similarly. It's fun to do if you have a diseased brain like myself. Which is odd bc I get bored of puzzle games really quickly lol

Yeah, I'm the same way - I like games such as the ones you've described, but I can never get into puzzle games, no matter what. Unless of course the puzzle game in question is a bridge builder; those are amazing (I always love making bizarro death-trap bridges that manage to achieve the goal of letting a particular car/bus/whatever over it, but at a great cost to anyone else following)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

In Training posted:

You should check out Portal dude. Funny as gently caress.

Oh whoops, I'd forgotten about Portal! I enjoyed that one, too. Although I dunno, I just don't lump it in with all the other puzzle games out there, I guess. It's just such a classic

EDIT: Oh also, (slightly more on-topic) last night I was sneaking through a ship while playing Heat Signature, trying to rescue my character's brother (personal mission after liberating a heap of random stations) when someone spotted me for a second from down a hallway while I was carrying my brother back to the ship.
But while this happened, a sentry gun turned and faced me, then immediately fired a shot (while I was thinking "OH poo poo", for obvious reasons) right at the same instant when the guy who saw me for a second (only long enough to get curious, not enough to trigger an alarm) teleported over directly next to me to investigate, between myself and the sentry, then took the bullet right in the same split-second it was fired!
I got away clean thanks to him - but no thanks to me blundering my escape though. :D There are a surprising amount of cool moments in that game.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Dec 21, 2017

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

my morning jackass posted:

Splinter cell was such a cool series. I remember playing the first one and being blown away when you are boarding the oil rig

Speaking of which, I remember how in Chaos Theory (in the Japan mission I think, with the nightingale floors) there's a guy talking to his buddy about how his unit was attacked by a "ninja"/Sam while they were on a certain oil rig, talking about how the ninja was a ghost, slipping through the facility undetected, etc. :v: (Naturally I let that guy live, in all my playthroughs; even if I was playing aggressively)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Seventh Arrow posted:

If you nab him he says something like, "Oh cool, I'm gonna be killed by a ninja!"

haha I remember that now - I love how he wasn't concerned about his wellbeing, only that he had been captured by a REAL ninja!! :D

Also, I agree with LSD. The versus multiplayer from Splinter Cell was just SO good - I can't believe how The Ship's gameplay was taken and used in Assassin's Creed, yet no other games have utilized SC's versus multiplayer mode. Just seems like such a missed opportunity.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Has anyone played/heard of Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun by any chance? (Link to the Steam store page) It does look quite interesting - sort of like Commandos, maybe? Except it's (as the title indicates, naturally) about ninjas, etc. assassinating people.
So yeah, it does look quite good, but I haven't actually heard anything about it, so I'm not sure if it's as good as the videos and screenshots make it out to be; especially at $20 in this day and age.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Well then, sounds like I might need to get it! :D (Also, although high difficulty in itself is fine, is there a manual 'save any-time' system, or at least a good/frequent auto-save system? Since that'll definitely make things easier, if so)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Mystic Stylez posted:

Yes, you can (and will, hundreds of times per level) quicksave/load whenever you want.

Alright cool, sounds good to me - I hate having to replay levels (or just large portions) if I make a mistake

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Seventh Arrow posted:

The game will actually remind you to quicksave every ~20 seconds or so.

:allears: In games like this I'd love the ability to be able to watch a real-time replay of the mission after you complete it, so you can see how your hours of work turn into a few minutes of perfectly-timed maneuvers and assassinations. Probably a bit too much to ask for I guess, for the game to record it, in addition to processing everything else that's going on.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

In Training posted:

This was cool in frozen synapse

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I loved the Super Meat Boy level replay

Oh yeah, I remember that now! I always like it when games incorporate that feature; especially in Frozen Synapse (I guess mainly due to the more competitive/pvp nature of it?) since then you can watch through it once or twice and easily pick out your rookie errors, to improve on next time.

In other news, I've bought Shadow Tactics! Didn't expect it to be 10GB, but once that's downloaded (hopefully tonight; see how it goes. We've still got terrible internet down here) I'll have to give it a go!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh also, after reading some more about the Shadow Tactics characters, I like how they all basically have a pretty clear equivalent from the Commandos 2 squad. :D Since I mean:

- Yuki (obviously equivalent to the thief)
- Mugen (equivalent to the green beret, due to being the 'strong' character who can lift heavy objects, etc.)
- Hayato (seems to be a bit of a combination/all-rounder. I guess he kinda has some aspects of the green beret, as well as others like perhaps the Australian diver guy)
- Aiko (the seductress/"Lips" from C2)
- Takuma (seems to be a combo of the sniper and sapper, from C2)

Not a bad thing at all, I just like how they've drawn inspiration from the classics, and have the same general "band of people drawn together from different walks of life" (perhaps unwillingly at first) aspect of the game, I guess.

One thing I'm curious about though, is Hayato's shuriken. Like, is he able to retrieve and re-use them in the same mission? I certainly hope so, since I see myself using him and Yuki a lot on missions, (compared to the others, anyway) to sneak around the place etc.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Seventh Arrow posted:

I think the shuriken has a cooldown, I don't remember it needing to be restocked. Yuki can lure guards away with a whistle and quietly kill them with a trap, so it's almost a challenge not to overuse her.

Oh, speaking of which, I remember reading that the shuriken (and all other attacks that aren't made by Mugen, I think?) don't hurt the top-level samurai enemies. So, is that the case for traps as well, or can those enemies still be killed by walking into Yuki's trap? (And if not, will the trap trigger and fail, causing the enemy to be alerted, or will it just sit there and remain untriggered?)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Haven't encountered samurai yet, but thanks again everyone, for recommending Shadow Tactics - it's just so good! I love it how every character has their own way of performing tasks, even down to stuff like carrying bodies. On the topic of which, that's related to my only (and very minor) gripe/nitpick with the game - since Hayato can only stand while carrying bodies over his shoulders, and can't crouch. Would be nice if he could crouch (similar to Yuki) at the cost of slowing down, or even having to stop entirely.

But yeah, Yuki and Hayato are definitely my favourites so far - I'll try and avoid over-using Yuki's trap as Seventh Arrow mentioned, since yeah, definitely seems like something that can be overused. (Which would make the game much less fun/interesting anyway, I think)

EDIT: Oh also, I like the comments the main characters make to each other, on various topics - like when a character performs an ability successfully, or pushes a boulder off a cliff, etc. It's got a lot of nice little touches like that, I think.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 3, 2018

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

BBJoey posted:

it does feel a bit silly that yuki is “better” at carrying bodies than eg hayato because she does it at a crouch, which lets her kill people in the shaded viewcone of enemies much easier than other characters.

Yeah, I agree. I mean, I guess from a gameplay perspective it's evened-out a little by the fact that IIRC she takes a second or so longer to stab people with her knife, compared to Hayato and Mugen with their katanas. (Or wakizashi, or whatever it is that Hayato uses)
It's definitely odd though, since as you said, in a lot of cases it straight-up makes her better than the actual ninja at striking an enemy among other foes, then slipping away with the body behind the cover of crates, wagons, etc.

Regardless, it's $20 well-spent! Can't wait to dive back in, after work today. (Also actually, just thought - is there a button where you can view a mission's challenges, prior to on the completion screen at the end? I'm certain there would be an option somewhere, although I haven't seen it)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

I started playing it because of this thread too and it rules. I was wondering if the game was going to have levels with more than 3 characters available because it seemed like more than that would be overkill. But tonight I just did the first level with 4 characters and holy poo poo it's huge. Things are gonna get insane by the end.

Oh hang on, so you can replay levels with characters you've unlocked later on?! Haven't replayed any levels yet (only completed a couple so far) so that's cool, if so. Out of curiosity, does it add extra dialogue for the characters who were there in the original playthrough, or are they simply silent throughout the mission? (e.g. if you bring Yuki along for the first mission, even though she was introduced in mission two)

And yeah, I agree - seems like it would get crazy pretty quickly, if you could use all five at once...certainly crazy enough that I'll be more than willing to try! :D

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Hat Thoughts posted:

I think they're saying they played 'the first level that had 4 characters available', not that they played the first level with 4 characters.

Ah, yeah re-read it and that definitely makes more sense! :D (I probably shouldn't post when tired...)
But yeah, I was quite hopeful because a lot of games give you more freedom in that regard, after you beat the main game - just to let you mess around more. Either way, I've just done another mission tonight; I like the kinds of restrictions/challenges (and new means of getting around, etc. like those zipline things) they've been adding in each level.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

rediscover posted:

i have no idea what this game is but this post makes me want to have it

It's pretty fun! Even with the sale I was initially a bit unsure about the $20 price tag (since all these huge Steam discounts and single-digit price tags have made me more stingy during sale-time, plus I've got a lot of games that need playing, anyway) but to me, it's definitely worth the asking price.

I don't know if anyone else goes by something like this, (or if I'm just weird) but my general standard of whether a game has been a good purchase or not is if the cost:playtime ratio is roughly a dollar an hour. (With some exceptions, like if I know the game is really short, but is a high-quality story-driven game) And yeah, I can definitely see me sinking 20+hrs into this game, easily.

Seventh Arrow posted:

Well the steam sale is on for one more day so now would be a good time to snag it.

In other news, I saw an upcoming stealth game on GOG called "Wildfire." You play a guy who can use the elements of fire, water, and earth to manipulate the environment and sneak around bad guys. It looks pretty neat from what I've seen so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnX0Y_XCVo8

https://www.gog.com/game/wildfire

Oh wow, that's quite an interesting concept; I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Seventh Arrow posted:

Overall, while the setting had some promise, I can't really recommend the game for stealth enthusiasts and definitely not stealth newbies looking to get into the genre. At best, it might offer some cheap drunk co-op fun.

drat, that's a shame - I've got Clandestine wishlisted and was really hoping it would be good. Might need to give it a miss, now.
Thanks for the heads up about its shonkiness, in any case!

(Also, it's not really a stealth game as such, but I totally plan on playing Kingdom Come: Deliverance as a stealth game, when it comes out next week. Sneak into enemy camps at night, poison their food, stab some guys quietly, burn their arrow supplies and leg it - then let the main force mop up the following day)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Yeah, it's such a good game! Only problem is the it's just far too short, I feel.
(Although I suppose that's better than if it outstayed its welcome)

Heat Signature is great, too. Totally different kind of game, but it's by the same guy and maintains the same high level of quality, that Gunpoint had.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 14, 2018

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Let me just say that I really like all of the write-ups you've been doing, Seventh Arrow! I didn't even know this game existed until reading your post, but it's certainly got my attention now.
I mean, the '100 levels' thing doesn't sound all that appealing to me really, (flashbacks to playing other games as a kid, where the many levels are all a bit same-y) but I do like the look of it and it does seem like there's a good bit of variety and challenge, still.
(I think I'll have to pick it up at some point, although personally I might hold out for the next sale, at its $20 price - especially since I'm trying to cut back and start to actually play some of my backlogged games! :D )

In other news, I, like everyone else, have been playing Kingdom Come: Deliverance. It's hardly a dedicated stealth game, but I have to say I really like the feel (and risk) of stripping off my armour and sneaking into an enemy camp at night to kill their leader, after silently taking out the sentries. Very dangerous if you get caught out, especially since not only are you outnumbered, but you've got no armour on.
At the moment I'm doing a hybrid playthrough (mostly in plate and fighting with a longsword, but also being sneaky if I need to take on entrenched enemies) but later on I really want to do a 'light-armour only' stealth-focused game, which I think would be quite fun. (Gonna wait for all the bugs, etc. to be fixed though, before I consider a second playthrough..)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Hat Thoughts posted:

This is the first thing ive heard about that game that makes it sound cool

Oh yeah, it's very good - I think I've sunk around 80hrs into it already, which is pretty unusual these days. It's definitely got its problems (it's gotten a lot better though, through recent updates) but I love it; it's just the right M&B:Warband+STALKER combo I was after. I thought I might end up regretting preordering the game (first preorder in ages, too) but it's been worth every cent so far - I just hope they release a couple of big expansions for it, like with The Witcher 3.

(Although one thing is, unless you want combat in the game to eventually become 'easy mode', I'd definitely recommend against getting more than 1-2 of the combat-related perks. They just straight-up buff you, instead of being more interesting and changing the way you play. That has to be my main gripe with the game, at this point)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Sam Fisher is back baby. As a DLC mission for Ghost Recon: Wildlands

Oh wow! :monocle: Is it good? First time I've heard of that DLC for GRW - sounds interesting!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
I've already played through Hitman (which everyone else here should have already too, because it's an excellent game. If not, I suggest that you all rectify that at your earliest convenience - especially as parts one and two became free, recently!) so the below two get a vote from me:

Seventh Arrow posted:

Deus Ex: MD DLC
Sniper Elite 4

To be honest I wasn't really aware that Sniper Elite 4 could actually be played stealthily! Since I played a little bit of SE2 ages ago when it was free, but it seemed like only the start of a level would be stealthy, before you end up needing to shoot someone with a rifle/SMG. (I was probably just doing it wrong, but I'm definitely interested to hear if they've given players more options, when it comes to remaining stealthy up until you take your shot on the target)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Seventh Arrow posted:

Most of the maps have some sort of loud sound in the environment (like airplanes flying overhead) or ones you can manufacture yourself (causing an engine to backfire) and these will cover up the sound of your sniping. Also, I could be imagining it, but the crouch-walking speed seems to be slower than in 3 so knifing dudes is much more difficult unless they're standing still.

Huh OK, that's interesting. (And good to hear, aside from that crouch-walking bit) So if you don't mind me asking, which do you think is better overall, from a stealth-gaming perspective? Since I'm not really fussed about any incremental improvements in graphics, etc.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Seventh Arrow posted:

I think they're pretty close, but if you want a pure stealth experience of quietly taking out an enemy fortification, then 3 wins out somewhat. 4 is definitely the go-to choice if you want to slo-mo snipe fascists in the melon, though.

Alright cool, thanks for the info! The x-ray cam from SE2 was quite good in itself I thought, so I'm sure SE3's will be fine. (That crouch-sneaking thing also seemed like it would be slightly annoying, so I'm glad that won't impact me)
Works for me - especially as the better pure-stealth option is cheaper too, heh. :D I think I'll keep an eye out for SE3 next sale, then. Thanks again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
I actually remember playing VA some years ago - although I didn't finish it, from memory. The hold-only crouching was pretty off-putting, as was the shooting.
Although personally, I could forgive it for the shooting mechanics, since the main character isn't a frontline soldier who has to advance and shoot a lot, etc. But yeah, it was still a little annoying in those forced-combat situations. (I remember there being one with loads of flamethrower guys in relatively confined spaces, which was a bit of a pain)
Some of the scenery/levels also looked quite decent for a 2009 game too, from memory. But yeah, definitely a very 'vanilla' experience on the whole!