Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i hope all your lovely houses become your tombs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

anime was right posted:

the places with the most newer homes will get hosed (loan amount vastly higher the actual home's price + ppl lose their jobs)

that means the places where people are migrating or being built out will be hit the worst. that means the places with rapidly inflating prices will be hurt most. seattle and austin will be crippled. also any foreign investments will lose a lot of value but those places might be held onto since they're considered investments and not places ppl live for and pay with loans. i actually think "new" cities will be hit the worst such as austin and portland. seattle is kind of a mix.

the last recession killed the west for a reason: most people were building out these brand new cities on the cheap and people who took out loans in whogivesafucksville california now had a shack in the desert.

Yeah see this is the mistake people who live here don't often make, conflating Las Vegas with Bakersfield with Denver with Austin just because they're "in the west" and in flyover country

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i contradicted myself in there and meant to say seattle and austin might be crippled*

but yeah its just wherever the new loans are, which seem to be the cities people are moving out of california to. jobs matter too. if the places are bought with cash for investment purposes it will suck but not as bad, probably. i think those "build a brand new city" places overnight will take it hte worst tho since their economies will vanish overnight.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

it's possible that it will just plateau and bounce around where it is now. especially if these prices are driven by a lack of housing stock. which seems to be the case, at least in urban areas. until they actually start building reasonably prices units, and not luxury condos, prices could stay up.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zeal posted:

i hope all your lovely houses become your tombs

nationalize the McMansion, end homelessness, destroy the value of lovely homes so the market is forced to build something that will last longer than like 5 years

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Karl Barks posted:

it's possible that it will just plateau and bounce around where it is now. especially if these prices are driven by a lack of housing stock. which seems to be the case, at least in urban areas. until they actually start building reasonably prices units, and not luxury condos, prices could stay up.

this is what already happened in the bay area during the last housing crash

flattened for like two years then picked right back up again

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

this is what already happened in the bay area during the last housing crash

flattened for like two years then picked right back up again

yeah, same thing here in Boston. people keep moving into the established cities, when there really needs to be a mass migration back into midwestern cities and southern cities.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

anime was right posted:

the places with the most newer homes will get hosed (loan amount vastly higher the actual home's price + ppl lose their jobs)

that means the places where people are migrating or being built out will be hit the worst. that means the places with rapidly inflating prices will be hurt most. seattle and austin will be crippled. also any foreign investments will lose a lot of value but those places might be held onto since they're considered investments and not places ppl live for and pay with loans. i actually think "new" cities will be hit the worst such as austin and portland. seattle is kind of a mix.

i went through some old bank statements and couldn't help but notice austin CoL has increased around 90% in the last seven years.

so: GOOD.

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008

Karl Barks posted:

yeah, same thing here in Boston. people keep moving into the established cities, when there really needs to be a mass migration back into midwestern cities and southern cities.

It's so confusing, why aren't people moving to those meccas of opportunity?!

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

every city with a Google office will crater and burn, inshallah

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Charles Mansion posted:

It's so confusing, why aren't people moving to those meccas of opportunity?!

It is pretty drat confusing. You could pay someone a good Idaho salary, they could buy a beautiful mountain home, and you could fly them into SF every week and still save a shitload of money vs. trying to attract a competitive Bay Area local. Surely there are some coders that don't want to live in San Jose or the peninsula.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

call to action posted:

It is pretty drat confusing. You could pay someone a good Idaho salary, they could buy a beautiful mountain home, and you could fly them into SF every week and still save a shitload of money vs. trying to attract a competitive Bay Area local. Surely there are some coders that don't want to live in San Jose or the peninsula.

considering boise has a small tech boom going it is happening. problem is that it that not everyone wants to live in a state that has one kinda nice maybe city and the rest of it is filled with white supremacists.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Agean90 posted:

considering boise has a small tech boom going it is happening. problem is that it that not everyone wants to live in a state that has one kinda nice maybe city and the rest of it is filled with white supremacists.

Actually it's amazingly beautiful, Coeur d'Alene is loving awesome, and if you think Idaho has a bigger problem than California re: white supremacy welllllllllllll I'd like to introduce you to the part of California more than 20 miles away from the coast

I like how you can always see a retarded liberal at a million yards when they're making GBS threads on Idaho, meanwhile 80% of California by landmass is basically the KKK

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Like literally I learned about what "1488" meant when I was driving through Sultan, WA and I saw a bunch of bikers with it on their bikes along with "HH", but really when you think about it the Pacific Northwest is enlightened and quite pure

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

call to action posted:

a lot of the coders involved in the tech boom are young people who don't have the unique skills necessary to justify going through the extra trouble of hiring them remotely

in my experience, a fresh university grad with a few months worth of internship isn't getting a coding job unless they live within driving distance of a major city. there's just no reason to bother interviewing an inexperienced young coder in Kansas when inexperienced young coders from all over the country are moving as close to urban California as they can afford on their parents' money

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?
hey guys a high school friend shared this post on facebook from renowned economic expert timothy clemmons

here's some handy advice for you to survive the upcoming apocolypse:

quote:

I Had to Share This, since if I don't I am responsible, now that I have shared this information, I am off the hook. Do with it what you will and PLEASE do your own homework.

The death of major retail companies is coming. Only the bulk suppliers, hardware stores, niche and online will survive (Walmart, COSTCO, LOWE's, Home Depot types stores).

Technology and the race to a cashless society (Bitcoin, Litecoin, Etherium) with just in time supply systems are driving the market phenomenon.

We are in the third longest economic expansion in the history of our country but it only made the rich richer. Yields curves are flattening, meaning short term rates are higher than longer bond rates, a precursor to every recession/depression.

The growth of economic expansion is the lowest it has ever been in a so called expansion of the economy and has basically been fueled by the printing of money and taking on of more personal and national debt.

Sadly, this is going to end badly. I am telling you what I am doing in the hopes that maybe 1% of my friends will think about doing the same.

It could go on another year or may be extended for years, it most likely will not. It really depends on Congress not fighting Trump, however, that doesn't appear to be the case. They can't even repeal the ACA, the single most job killing and economic turd in the history of our country.

Hard assets should be your friend and you should accumulate as I have. Gold, Silver, Food and other things you may need to eat and survive is important. 6 Million Americans starved to death during the great depression. Just saying.

Soft assets such as Bitcoin, Litecoin should be your friend. It is a way to store value and are inelastic. Meaning they are of a limited supply and many will reach toward these methodologies to pay for things since it is hard to pay for something via Amazon with a silver quarter.

Put on top of all this a geopolitical risk unseen since before the Cold War and we have a recipe for a major downturn or an outright economic disaster. Chart wise, everything looks like the spring of 2008. Huge bubbles everywhere..... false government data..... debt piling up in a hockey stick pattern..... the printing of money in a hockey stick pattern..... like I said, it doesn't look good.

Sorry to be so bleak but I am telling you as I see it. Take it for what you will. Here is a Meme showing a huge contraction int he economy...... I have done my job and held up my responsibility...

Now I am out for the weekend. THINK!!

sounds like the impending economic disaster is due to obummercare destroying all are jobs and are economy and also because trump can't work his magic deals

just some tips and now ive done my job and its not my fault if you dont sink all ur money into gold and bitcoins to survive the disaster

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Bitcoin is the opposite of inelastic lmao.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

idiot posted:

Here is a Meme showing a huge contraction int he economy......

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Former Everything posted:

hey guys a high school friend shared this post on facebook from renowned economic expert timothy clemmons

sounds like the impending economic disaster is due to obummercare destroying all are jobs and are economy and also because trump can't work his magic deals

just some tips and now ive done my job and its not my fault if you dont sink all ur money into gold and bitcoins to survive the disaster

this guy sounds like he needs a stomach-full of molten gold and silver

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Former Everything posted:

this is just a bot post made by scanning transcripts of talk radio for several days and not a real person, right?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Bitcoin is going to crash when tech does, its one of the stupidest things out there

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Agean90 posted:

Have you ever been outside the Bay Area. Orange county has the largest concentration of white nationalist groups in the country. Plenty of white flight insanely racist pieces of poo poo in the rural areas.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking of which, within the Bay Area the mafia isn't known for being terribly tolerant

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Agean90 posted:

not everyone wants to live in a state that has one kinda nice maybe city and the rest of it is filled with white supremacists.

this disqualifies most of the US

hell if you make your qualifier "between one and five" nice cities then it's all of the US

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Oregon, noted progressive wonderland, wad founded by people trying to keep the blacks out and most of the landmass is trying to retain their heritage.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

idaho fuckin sucks

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Byolante posted:

Oregon, noted progressive wonderland, wad founded by people trying to keep the blacks out and most of the landmass is trying to retain their heritage.

People are also very quick to forget that Oregon was getting in on the straight up Indian genocide that California did too, and also keeping dust bowl refugees out or putting them in ghettos

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Sharps posted:

idaho fuckin sucks

Yes, mountain Idaho sucks much like mountain Colorado does, not enough to keep the loving goddamned Texans out

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

rudatron posted:

Bitcoin is going to crash when tech does, its one of the stupidest things out there

I think Bitcoins going to be suprisingly resillient and decoupled from tech. Money laundering and buying drugs are real stable sources of demand and being of use to someone is more then can be said for most tech

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Idaho does suck though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i wouldn't want to be the person who got the cartel using bitcoin if it tanks

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jose posted:

i wouldn't want to be the person who got the cartel using bitcoin if it tanks

Cartels are big enough that bitcoin would be of limited use to them. You dont need it for money laudering when youre rich enough that regular banks will do it for you.

Its about the middle-class and upper middle-class who have something to launder but not enough to have access to the traditional techniques

SickZip fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jul 25, 2017

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Idaho does suck though.

b-b-b-but orange county :qq:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
the orange county enclave of billionaires would be much better pickins than some rural idaho village filled with 70 year olds

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
The funny thing about Bitcoin is that it's utility relies on the continued existence of a bunch of institutions, like the Banking System, The Postal Service, The Electrical grid, etc. When the banks all go down, so do the exchanges and any liquidity, so what do you do then? In the situations where you would need Bitcoin it becomes useless because it's useless as a currency. "Oh hey, please come fix my sink. I'll pay you in Bitcoin! All you have to do is install this Bitcoin Wallet..." is already a non starter, try making it work when internet and electricity is intermittent.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Digiwizzard posted:

The funny thing about Bitcoin is that it's utility relies on the continued existence of a bunch of institutions, like the Banking System, The Postal Service, The Electrical grid, etc. When the banks all go down, so do the exchanges and any liquidity, so what do you do then? In the situations where you would need Bitcoin it becomes useless because it's useless as a currency. "Oh hey, please come fix my sink. I'll pay you in Bitcoin! All you have to do is install this Bitcoin Wallet..." is already a non starter, try making it work when internet and electricity is intermittent.

People who are worried about the end of civilization buy gold and guns.

People who buy bitcoin are worried about capital controls, currency devaluation, and having to talk to a minority to buy drugs

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Digiwizzard posted:

The funny thing about Bitcoin is that it's utility relies on the continued existence of a bunch of institutions, like the Banking System, The Postal Service, The Electrical grid, etc.
The postal service? Are people mailing bit corns now? God I'm old.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Kromlech posted:

The postal service? Are people mailing bit corns now? God I'm old.

people use their bitcoins to buy Chinese PCP, which is shipped via the postal service rather than a private shipper because it's way more difficult, legally, for the USPS to go through your mail

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Oooh i see. Talk about a username/post combo BTW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

spoiler alert the crash is going to be from wall st. realizing that trump & republicans cannot govern and as such cannot provide the tax cuts they're expecting. and by crash i mean 'readjustment'