Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

FCKGW posted:

the computer hardware company i work for missed earnings projections and in their statement they basically said "uhhh, the tech industry as a whole isn't buying much poo poo right now which seems odd, they said they'll buy more next year" which doesn't sound promising

this is probably fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Bulgakov posted:

lmao university of chicago study just lol get outta here

I mean when even they are saying UBI doesn't hurt jobs

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

The perfect cover

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

I remember being in school and really resenting the fact that we were all being treated like potential killers and none of the security bullshit would have helped in a mass shooting anyway.

I can't imagine being in school now and knowing that your death will literally power corporate profits

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Venom Snake posted:

Adding onto this: it's not like the soviet union didn't have weapons design programs.

We can find common ground bombing Afghani civilians

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

wow the onion's getting dark

oh god

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Jose posted:

crashing the economy to force brexit through

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1064442863830908928

Does that actually work if you tell everyone its what you're going to do?

Its like telling everyone you are setting a fire to collect insurance money

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

anime was right posted:

"3 per cent" ???????

Please don't expect finance journalists to know math things

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Goon Danton posted:

Nah, it's a lab that develops new kinds of auto glass

rip

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

etalian posted:

Also because a large portion of upper management compensation is in stock grants hence they have a incentive to do things like stock buybacks to pump up the stock.

Railroad Tycoon taught me all about stock buybacks and how incredibly easy insider trading is at a very young age.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

you guys deserve to see this too

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

FourLeaf posted:

digital games have their advantages but downloading them can randomly take pathetically long on my PS4 (the network connection always reports as fine so i guess it's sony's servers?). limited storage space means i have to add, remove, or re-add games pretty frequently. physical discs don't have this problem, so that was the main reason i kept shopping at gamestop.

Don't use the wireless in a PS4 if you can help it, they somehow made it unfathomably slow. Use a wired connection and you should get great speeds. Get a pair of powerline adapters if its far away from a router.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Jose posted:

And lmao

The UK is going to starve because the only things being imported are cigarettes and iPhones

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

OhFunny posted:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1070461342342148097?s=19

Arresting the CFO of Huawei and shipping them to the US for trial for evading US sanctions on Iran seems like a huge deal to me.

Remember how the market was up on the hope of better US-China relations like two days ago?

Trade wars are good, and easy to win

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Spongebob defends his employer despite the abuse he suffers and is a petite bourgeoisie

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

the bitcoin of weed posted:

he is, but he is also a bootlicker
the episode where they go on strike is cool though

holy poo poo this is so good its almost alarming

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Uhh what

American pharmacies can already give you a generic equivalent, and it's not a big deal or anything.

But just giving people a different dose? That's loving insane. People are going to die from this no question.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

an almost literal ouroboros of grift

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Hmm today is pretty good so far

Too bad about those fundamentals though

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Kung Food posted:

You mean how strong they are?

The fundamentals are strong starting now

...ok ok starting now

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

What if we all just pretend the number go up

You're playing with some dangerous forces here

The fundamentals won't like this, and buddy they are strong

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I want to delay paying my federal student loans by simply not having an income or assets for a while after graduation, and getting on some kind of an extenuating circumstances deferment.

Did I just gently caress up qualifying for that by getting married to someone who has lots of assets and rental income? Do they look at that, and how strict are their requirements?

Are you filing jointly this year? Because maybe. But when I had to do that they just asked me how much money I made per year and then said ok without asking for any proof.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

ughhhh posted:

So I just got a new job and got offered a 401k with a 50% match. I can opt out. Should I do it or do it.

I hate everything and just want it to end. I'm never going to live past 40 so why even bother.

No thats good and basically free money. Even assuming the market tanks in 2019 and 2020 you are not buying in at a market peak. If the next crash is actually the big one it doesn't matter what you did with your money because you are going to be bartering with salt and bullets.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

oystertoadfish posted:

btw are the % changes record-breaking or is the breaking of records partly just an artifact of number go up

the actual point gain, not the percent. So as dollar loses value to inflation these records become easier to break

the same way box office records keep getting smashed just because tickets get more expensive over time

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Ryan Social Security plan would have allowed the average worker to shift about half of their contributions to Social Security into a private account, or about 6.4 percent of their earnings. These funds would then be invested into a mix of stocks and bonds until the worker retired, at which point the money in this account would be used to purchase an annuity.

It turns out that, if you take 6.4 percent of every worker’s paycheck who participates in this program, you wind up with a whole lot of money. In fact, you wind up with so much money that, if you invest these funds in stocks and bonds, the sheer mass of these investments will eventually push all other investors out of the market. As Dylan Matthews explains, under Ryan’s Social Security plan, “investments in the stock and bond markets would skyrocket such that by 2050, every single stock or bond in the United States would be owned by a Social Security account. This would mean that the portfolio managers at the Social Security Administration would more or less control the entire means of production in the United States.”

Ryan being an accidental communist is the greatest twist I have seen

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Former DILF posted:

if conspiracies aren't real how did all those bankers manage to fleece millions to billions of people for billions to trillions of dollars in the runup to 2008

Of course conspiracies are real. But the only real ones are the very boring ones, so no one actually cares or pays attention to them.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

i say swears online posted:

my student loans are fixed-rate (at 6.8%) :smugdon:

rip

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Venom Snake posted:

imagine being told at the start of the recession the end result would be a donald trump presidency 10 years later

I think thats the only time I would have believed it

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

OhFunny posted:

Looks like the President can't actually fire the Fed Chair.

I'm not really sure that matters

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Woof Blitzer posted:

Why contain it?

its cool

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

All movie that meets certain conditions. Films ranging from Top Gun and Jarhead had DoD assistance but Independence Day did not qualify for it.

Michael Bay has been milking DoD assistance for everything its worth for quite a while though.

IIRC Independence day was approached by the military but they wanted them to cut out anything to do with area 51. And that kind of guts the entire second half of the movie so they said no.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

if it actually contracts hold onto your butts because things are going to get pretty crazy.

It feels like this has been said about 27 different things recently. Seems fine everything is fine.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Goon Danton posted:

Okay so I got to learn what findom is already, so hooray for that, but this post is still complete gibberish to me.

You don't keep an inventory, just connect grifters directly to manufacturers I have no idea either

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

readingatwork posted:

Get yer Dow24000 gifs ready people! :dance:

no

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Eminem is extremely good

I got a good lmao at chuds angry at Eminem for doing a diss track on trump

did you just pay no attention to his songs ever?

This was 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq5QvTJH5Hc

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Dumb Lowtax posted:

What if leftists made this their one goal? To get voted in the office with the sole mandate of "vote for me and I'll cut the US military budget"

They'd get arrested or assassinated like every other leftist that became any kind of threat in the entire 20th century.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

OhFunny posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/mar/07/ecb-to-keep-interest-rates-low-recession-fears-eurozone-banks

No one in the thread has mentioned it but the European Central bank today:

• Cut its eurozone growth forecasts for 2019 from 1.7% to 1.1%.
  • Ruled out interest rate interests for the rest of the year.
  • More cheap loans for banks until 2021.

Gotta appreciate that the reaction to bad things headed your way is to change absolutely nothing and do things exactly the same way

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

This is an extremely good article thank you for posting that

this line made me lol though

quote:

“Yet everyone complains how bad software is, with all the defects. If you bought a car with 5,000 defects, you’d be very upset.”

Tesla managed to prove this wrong

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Venom Snake posted:

I mean, this is the reason why building codes had to be created in the first place

Yeah exactly. One of the main reasons the ASME exists is water boilers kept exploding and killing people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Another victory for bipartisanship