Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«15 »
  • Locked thread
Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?




Matthias pulls out an earbud and sets down his holo pad to listen Zann, nodding along. "Yeah, no problem. I can keep it chill around the guy," he says, giving a thoroughly perma-baked thumbs up. "I'm in no rush to get that deep into things yet, so I'll just watch what you do for this one. Unless you want me to stick my hands in it, you know? Might be good practical experience."

Zann, what is one thing you want Matthias to be careful of on this trip?

A few seconds after Seira hangs up, Natasha shoots her a followup message.

@Seira posted:

hey, bring me back something really techy, ok? or something fun

or both

Seira barely has time to read the message before her and the rest of the group are flung into the heavy green tarp as if their transport had hit a brick wall. Thankfully it's more than heavy enough to cushion everyone and gently roll them to the deck. Several different alarms sound at once, though only for a few seconds.

"Vacuum field cowwapse, slowing to conventional speeds," CR's radio communications relay over the cargo bay's speakers. "Held strong anti-magic pulse from above. Make your weports!"

"That was me. You're entering DSH protected airspace. Do not exceed conventional aircraft speeds!" A new voice shouts. That voice isn't exactly new to Behold, unfortunately. Abby was the last person she needed any attention from. The domineering, newly-promoted Deputy Chief of Airspace Security was surely on a big power trip, and keeping their operation under the radar might be a little more difficult with a spiteful ex around. "I need to see an itinerary, a cargo manifest, a passenger - disregard, I see it now. You need to - BEHOLD?!"

An illusory projection of a particularly unhappy demoness appears before Behold, arms crossed. "And what exactly do you think you're up to? Hm? Trying to bring more trouble back?"

Behold, what got you into trouble with Abby?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



HP: 16/16 | Armor: 2 | Damage: d8 | Charge: ◇◇◇ | Load: 9/10 | XP: 3/9

Behold groans. "Oh great."

She and Abby had been an item before the incident with the sabotaged crawler. Things hadn't gone well afterwards. Abby hadn't exactly wanted Behold not to save the crawler, but felt that Behold not immediately deciding that those kinds of heroics were a bad idea was absurd. Especially with the long recovery afterwards, on top of the stress from Behold's new found celebrity. The last straw had been Behold's decision to leave DSH. She and Abby hadn't communicated well on either side, though Abby had seen Behold's decisions as a personal betrayal and also a drag on the career path she had mapped out for both of them. It had ended badly. Worse, Abby tended to hold a grudge, and Behold's subsequent high-profile hookups probably didn't do anything to improve matters.

Behold keys in to the comms. "Um, hi Abby. I didn't realize you'd been promoted! Congratulations! Uh, we're just heading up stalk for some work, pretty normal stuff, no trouble really! We're all fine here. ... How are you?"

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009




HP: 26/26 | Armor: 1 | Damage: d10 | Load: 5/9 | XP: 5/9

Jet snortlaughs and sidles closer to Behold. "Oh boy, I thought I was gonna be the idiot whose ex tried to kill us first. Thanks for taking that one off my back, Holdy."

K Prime fucked around with this message at Sep 21, 2017 around 13:58

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



HP: 16/16 | Armor: 2 | Damage: d8 | Charge: ◇◇◇ | Load: 9/10 | XP: 3/9

"I told you, don't call me that," Behold says a bit peevishly, making sure that doesn't broadcast to Abby.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.



HP 25/25 | Armor 4 | Load 8/14 | XP 2/9

Sol reached out absently to rest a hand on Neon's shoulder, buffering her against the sudden turbulence as he grabbed a nearby strap to keep his own self from being flung across the deck. As things settled and explanations came in, he watched Behold carefully. An old flame, huh? And from the sound of it, things had not ended entirely peacefully. Hopefully this 'Abby' was not going to complicate matters too much. He did his best to be an understanding person, but if people interfered with his work they usually regretted it.

Disregarding that conversation, he focused his attention on the boss lady.

"Things working out alright? You've been ears deep into that choreography session the whole trip. Either you've hit a speed bump or hit upon something genius that won't get out of your head. And since you haven't punched me yet I'd put money on the latter." Even in the short time they'd been working together, he had a bit of a feel for Neon's moods, and he did his best to be supportive in what ways he could. For an artist, emotional security was no less important than physical. Moreso, in many respects.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?




Abby responds to the small talk with a stark lack of amusement. She taps a hoof rapidly; Behold recognizes it as one of her anxious tells. "I was doing fantastic until you popped up on my radar, both figuratively and literally. Don't you have anywhere else to be?" She scowls at Jet. Even if her pet name didn't get broadcasted, it doesn't take much to make the wrong assumption about her getting closer. "And who's this hussy? Your latest conquest? Checks. I see you haven't learned a drat thing."

Seira's search program finally returns something useful from a stub of a poorly tagged industrial design wikia article, of all places:

DSH Fabrication Wikia posted:

[Picture attached: Text description: 1.5 meter square metal rod covered in black and yellow warning stripes. Warning symbols state to stand clear of the ejection jet, the cutting area, and to wear double hearing protection. Rubberized grip with trigger and finger guard. Large external power pack attached via amphenols and heavy shielded cabling.]

Oxide, officially Combat Engineer Deep Breaching System, was a prototype created by Raegbund Baernacke on a joint project between DSH and AAR. Though deemed a failure due to massive power consumption problems, infeasible weight, and problematic manufacturing (artifact class), the concept would later be adopted for superheavy industrial cutting devices and would go on to be a commercial success.

...

Oxide contains four heavily modified magical subsystems based on GKI Chemical Analysis, Rust, High Pressure Air Jet (HPAJ), and al-Maqqa's Pyrolysis. Any material in the cutting zone is first analyzed. The processor then determines the level of organic decomposition required to weaken the structure or the oxidized state with the weakest shear strength. A 20,000 PSI / 1000 m^3/min air stream then removes the weakened material and ejects it via the top of the cutting surface. This allows a clean cut of any material down to any thickness, though precision is highly dependent on the skill of the user.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011




HP: 12/12 | Armor: 1 | Damage: d8 | Load: 4/7 | XP: 3/9

"Miss Behold's liaisons are of a personal matter, of her own discretion, and not necessarily reflective of the Company as a whole." Seira picks herself up after her spill, and manages to send back a smiley face to Natasha on her messenger app. "By this, I mean you have no reason to treat us like this. We have our documents."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



HP: 16/16 | Armor: 2 | Damage: d8 | Charge: ◇◇◇ | Load: 9/10 | XP: 3/9

"Besides that's all from after we broke up," Behold says, grumbling. "And I'm not dating Jet either."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009




HP: 26/26 | Armor: 1 | Damage: d10 | Load: 5/9 | XP: 5/9

"Yet." Jet winks salaciously at Abby's image. "You really need to take a chill pill, Miss Horny."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




HP: 18/18 | Armor: 1 | Damage: d8 | Poise: 3/4 | Load: 5/6 | XP: 7/9 | Currently: Stylish

Neon=Neon hardly even acknowledges the bump or the arm holding her in place, engrossed as she is in her work, but she turns to acknowledge Sol's question, "Mm, it's shaping up to be something special. Gotta go big for my renegade idol re-debut~!☆" She sighs, though, listlessly waving away the constructs buzzing around her head. "It's just... I need that special zazz to make it totally killer. I just need some sort of, I don't know, exotic X-factor. Something sort of dangerous, a little sexy... kind of controversial..."

She looks over at the hubbub surrounding Behold and says, "What the hell—" For a moment, she simply stares. Hell indeed. Hellions? They did have the right sort of mystique to them. They had been in vogue when she was working her way through the contest, but... Well, they had a bit of a retro feel these days. But futuristic space hellions? It was perfect. Neon=Neon grins brightly at Sol, pats him on the shoulder, and says, "I've got it~!☆"

Skipping cheerfully over to the group, Neon=Neon strikes a pose in front of the illusion and pours on every ounce of her considerable idol charm. She says, "Hey~! It sounds like this is real serious and all, but..." She grins widely. "Have you ever considered a career in the idol industry? You should quit hassling your ex and take me out to dinner or something, Horny! I can make you a star~!☆"

Spending poise and asking Addy the teensy-weensy favor of You should treat me to dinner! GM picks one:
—They do you the favor, no questions asked
—They become infatuated with you, take +1 forward against them
—They publicly resent you, take +1 forward against them

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?




Any ground gained by Seira's very reasonable statement goes out the window with everyone else chiming in, and Abby especially doesn't take kindly to Jet's new nickname for her. "Say again, bitch?" She puts her dukes up, then remembers that this was only a projection. She settles for a very stern knife-hand with her weaponized hand. "gently caress you. And gently caress you," she says, directing her hand to Neon, "you think I have any interest in being someone else's entertainment? I've got a real job where I make things happen. And you think I can be bought? Hey!" She snaps at someone behind her, turning her back to the team. "Mind your loving panel! There's no problem! Sit down!"

She leans down to get in Behold's face. "I've got my eye on you," Abby growls.

The illusion ends. Surely there should be more friendly hellions out there for Neon to recruit.

Abby publicly resents Neon. +1 forward!

"Ah. Erm. Ehh..." CR comes back on, audibly uncomfortable with everything that he just overheard. He eagerly changes the subject. "So, erm, it wooks wike you might be held up by secuwity when you get there, so... More fwee time! Xiaotian is a big place. What do you want to go see while you're waiting?"

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011




HP: 12/12 | Armor: 1 | Damage: d8 | Load: 4/7 | XP: 3/9

"...I still stand by my statement," Seira sighs, palm on her forehead. "But next time, I need to take in account how bloody thirsty this group is."

Mitama fucked around with this message at Sep 22, 2017 around 10:46

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



HP: 16/16 | Armor: 2 | Damage: d8 | Charge: ◇◇◇ | Load: 9/10 | XP: 3/9

Behold leans back and rubs her forehead. "Ugh, sorry about that. I didn't realize she'd been put in charge of Security... and that she was still that mad about our breakup." She brightens a bit. "But having some time in Xiaotian isn't bad. I know some good restaurants, not touristy places, and we could stop by Electric Town for some shopping." Electric Town is the infamous tech district near the primary power station for the tether, and exactly the sort of place someone like Behold would frequent. "But if you really want to do something fun, I know an awesome beam tag place."

Beam tag is basically laser tag mixed with airsoft, with dose of AR and future tech.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.



HP 25/25 | Armor 4 | Load 8/14 | XP 2/9

Wholly unprofessional behavior, but he wasn't anyone's mother to scold them over it. If this Abby caused them problems in the future that would be a useful lesson to stay on target and keep the goofing around for when they weren't on the job. He could, however, try and steer the conversation in that direction.

"I don't like being a killjoy, but I think we should focus on the job before we concern ourselves with entertainment. We have to earn the money before we can spend it." Sol turned to Hibiki, arms crossed casually. "Miss Hibiki. If you have any further information about this job I would appreciate a heads up. Specs on what exactly it is we're salvaging would be useful. Are there any other teams that might take exception to our involvement?"

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010


Royalty is a continuous cutting motion



HP: 18/18 | Armor: 0 | Damage: d4 | Load: 4/6 | XP: 5/9
Undead Servants: Chauncey, Gigantic Multi-Armed Porter| Stats: +3 STR, +2 CON/DEX, +1 INT/WIS/CHA | HP: 12/12 | Armor: 2 | DMG: +4


Zann watched the whole ex-girlfriend off-broadway production of "why you should never mix business and pleasure" with the detached amusement of someone who hasn't had to deal with that sort of thing in centuries, and leaned over to Matthias. "If you want to know what not to do, take notes. This is what comes of letting your priorities get entangled. If you do end up meeting someone up here, and let's face it we're terribly interesting people, then make sure they know who you are and what you're about." The lich examines some bony fingers and adds, "Just try not to make us any more important enemies."

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?




Hibiki's hologram turns its head to Sol. "It's a sapphire data slate that I'm after. It's on an improperly decommissioned satellite. Don't worry about what's on it and don't get any big ideas, aight? The only reason that anyone would be opposed to it or after it is if they also know what's on it, so you should be fine. Should. That's the gamble with security through obscurity, you know? Anyways, doc's telling me to get off the call. Gotta get those new eyes in. Lates."

The hologram flickers out.

"Uh... You just mean let them know about the undead workers thing, right?" Matthias squints at Zann. "I'm assuming we still don't talk about the job. I'll stick to the advertising." He throws Zann a dopey thumbs up.

The rest of the flight passes quickly despite the last 15 minutes turning into 2 hours. CR is uncomfortably quiet the rest of the way, obviously thrown off by Abby's reprimand.

----

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeWdH9X7X3A



The sun fades away as the cargo carrier descends into one of the underwater tunnels leading to the tether's base station. There's a lot of radio chatter surrounding the team's arrival, though whether it's because of the celebrity onboard or the original cargo remains to be determined. After a few minutes of seeing little more than maintenance lights and metallic tunnel whizzing by, the VTOL stops on a clean steel landing platform and drops its ramp. A security team lead by a stern-looking cyborg is waiting for the team.

"Welcome home, Miss Pascale," she states. There is nothing but professionalism in her tone. "I'm Gunner Javadi, security officer assigned to this arrival. Your return is a surprise. I would ask if you were here to visit the family, but..." She cocks her head as she takes in the rest of the misfits. "I won't pry. Can I help you and your entourage past security? It's tourist season again and the normal gates have a bit of a wait. Tether's birthday tomorrow and all that. We'll even make an exception for the projectile weapons free areas if you promise to behave. They're bad for the pressure hulls," she preemptively explains to Neon. "Where can I take you? Going up? If you have any questions or requests, please don't be afraid to ask."

As friendly as she is, you get the impression that the VIP treatment is intended to keep a close eye on you.

"Oh, and the Commander sends her regards, Miss Pascale. She said she would come down to say hi, but she has to make preparations for the birthday ball tomorrow." Gunner rolls her eyes as she speaks of Abby.

Looking away from the tunnel, the landing pad seamlessly transitions into a lavish reception area. A holographic banner streams across the top: [ Welcome to Xiaotian Secure Receiving Zone 2. ]



What do you do? You've got a ticket past security, but where to first?

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.



HP 25/25 | Armor 4 | Load 8/14 | XP 2/9

Here was something he was accustomed too. Security checkpoints were old hat, and one of the few areas of high technology he was actually familiar with. Normally he and his gear would be able to bypass a screening due to his own certifications, but facilities like this didn't mess around. If their own security protocols didn't have you whitelisted you didn't get through without a thorough check.

Sol maintained position behind Neon, the duffel bag with their arms, armor and ammunition in one hand while he fiddled with his phone with the other. A short notification to the others that his device was going into security mode before he pocketed it. No incoming transmissions would be accepted from any source except those registered to his comrades. While his device was probably not at risk for hacking, he didn't relish the idea of having to load all those apps onto a new one of it was compromised.

A brief pause as Gunner Javadi finished briefing them and he pulled the phone right back out.

quote:

Recipient: Zann Marat
Sender: Ramified Soliliquy

Decommissioned satellite. Not certain how we'll board, but wish to request: If things become complicated and I am unable, please take Neon under your protection. If this becomes necessary you'll receive 50% of my cut as recompense. Would ask Jet but have concerns regarding unstable temperament.

Shardix fucked around with this message at Oct 4, 2017 around 02:50

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009




HP: 26/26 | Armor: 1 | Damage: d10 | Load: 5/9 | XP: 5/9

"Birthday ball, ah?" says Jet. "Must be nice getting a big ol' dance party for your birthday instead of another knife in the ribs."

She pointedly isn't looking at the security checkpoints. That poo poo makes her nervous. Several things in and on her person are illegal in various jurisdictions, and to be perfectly honest nobody likes a fuckin' rent a cop. The good thing is she's not carrying anything not cleared for orbital use right now anyway. The bad news is that she's never actually been in orbit, so this is gonna be gross.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



HP: 16/16 | Armor: 2 | Damage: d8 | Charge: ◇◇◇ | Load: 9/10 | XP: 3/9

"Wait, the birthday is tomorrow?" Behold says, shocked. "That explains a lot, I can't believe I didn't realize." She shakes her head, then shrugs. "Well, either way, thanks Gunner Javadi, and sorry for getting you in the middle of things. Getting to bypass the crowd at the entry gate would be nice. And, uh, send the Commander my regards as well."

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010


Royalty is a continuous cutting motion



HP: 18/18 | Armor: 0 | Damage: d4 | Load: 4/6 | XP: 5/9
Undead Servants: Chauncey, Gigantic Multi-Armed Porter| Stats: +3 STR, +2 CON/DEX, +1 INT/WIS/CHA | HP: 12/12 | Armor: 2 | DMG: +4


"The entry-level necromantic specialist position would be a good exuse for why we're here, yes, and I do still mean to take a look at this Bishop felow, but that's not what I'm trying to say." Zann clicks down the ramp with the others and sends a discreet reply when Sol's message gives a hud pop-pop.

quote:

From: Zmarat
To: Ramified Soliliquy

She is the sort of thing one likes to happen to other people, isn't she? I'll do my best, although I don't typically charge for the protection of a colleague.

Continuing the lecture to Matthias, Zann says "I'm not just talking about this one job, that's not really important. This is just a thing we're doing so we'll be able to do something else. Usually that's all it is, even dealing with that idiot who used to have Chuncey's hat. Let me put it this way. I've been around for a while, and many of the great errors I've seen come from... an excess of attachment." For a moment, the lich looks distant and has a voice that almost sounds human. "Clinging, I'd say, is the great error of the living. People try so many ways to avoid it. We raise temples to jealous gods so we can say our wars have divine favor. We pray to flags and say the young have to die for the old. We build fake people and call them Corporations so we can say our decisions were made for the company, and we don't have to worry about the damage they do. I chose my work, and tore off my flesh so I could pretend to live forever -- this was back in the old days, when things were a little less refined. None of it really works. It's all dust in the end. Even us. Especially us." Zann give one last, hard look, and adds "I know you won't be able to avoid it, no matter what you insist on breathing in. Just make sure that when you do choose to something to cling to, it's important enough for you to be willing to lose everything else. "

"Now, let's go fix a lich who losing his mind!" Zann gets the guard's attention. "Excuse me? I'm a licensed necromantic practitioner, here for a consult with a Bishop of the Prosperous Singularity? Do you have a location on him?"

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011




HP: 12/12 | Armor: 1 | Damage: d8 | Load: 4/7 | XP: 3/9

"Oh, this should be nice." Seira says, checking out the cool aquarium. "You don't see a lot of parties in corporate grounds. Everyone's too busy." That's putting it lightly.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




HP: 18/18 | Armor: 1 | Damage: d8 | Poise: 3/4 | Load: 5/6 | XP: 7/9 | Currently: Stylish

Neon=Neon graciously waves at Gunner, "Hai~!☆ I promise I won't blow holes in anything. Be careful with her when you do that inspection, okay? She's very sensitive. Just the sliiiiightest touch, and—" She mimes the kick of the large rifle.

She does perk up at the mention of a party, "Oh! A party~? It's been ages since I've been at one of those. I wonder who all's going to be there!☆"

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?




Matthias taps his chin in thought. "Aren't we always just doing one thing so that we can do another? Makes both the accomplishment and the journey out to be nothing. Bleak stuff. I dig it." He nods to Zann, highly satisfied with their philosophizing.

"There's also the Birthday Brawl now," Gunner notes to Neon and Behold. "Younger crowd, fewer influential figures. Scene thing with a lot of moshing, if that's more your speed. I think your presence will be requested at the Ball, Miss Pascale. And I have no need to perform any in depth inspections of your weapons," she says to Neon. "Just behave. And most of the upper class and senior staff will be there. Numerous hopeful guests, socialites, and leeches, of course."

She waves the rest of her unit off to attend to whatever it was that the GKI transport was carrying, and motions for the group to follow her through an unassuming side passageway. The scenery is the drab industrial fare that you would expect, though now you can see all of the native DSH heavy security wandering from place to place. They're all highly unphotogenic types, though far from uncordial; most give the team a friendly nod or wave as you pass.

Once you're well away from the reception area, Gunner looks to Zann. "Didn't mean to ignore your question, but..." She hems and haws. "That's prickly information right now. We have him in the medical wing of the geosync portion and I can take you to him. Won't say what we know, though it's not much. I hope you're not going to pick his brain, but who am I to tell you how to live? How did you find out about him, though?"

She leads you through a bulky set of double doors, presumably into one of the elevator cars. It's cramped with various boxes and a few of the aforementioned unsightly security specialists. "Apologies; the express lane comes with less amenities than the touristy cars, and it's a little more uncomfortable due to the acceleration." The doors slam shut and your bodies feel considerably heavier with little warning. "Only one window and there are a few cables blocking the view."

Leaves of shielding fold away to reveal a spectacular view of the ground zipping away. A pair of counters on the railway tick down; one shows the distance to geosynchronous orbit, while the other shows the apparent gravity down to an obnoxious number of decimal places. This would be a quick journey despite the magnitude of travel involved.



"Bishop got into something he wasn't supposed to." Gunner continues abruptly. "It's apparently a big deal, with a capital B." She stares out the window. "And, I'm sure you're not stupid; I'm supposed to be keeping a tight leash on your group. However, I care very little for politics and I'm comically inept for my position, if you catch my drift." She face Behold and makes stern eye contact. "Do whatever you like, but do not endanger this installation, its inhabitants, or the company, understood?"

Everyone's HUDs alert them to their newly elevated permissions level. You apparently have access to every location and piece of information that isn't sensitive. And tickets to the ball! You can only assume that the Brawl doesn't have tickets.

"Don't make your stay on the stalk a long one. I'm going to take a nap; if we happen to get there and you wander off before I wake up..." Gunner shrugs, rolls her eyes, and wanders off to find a cozy crate top.

You all have stalk-wide internet access, lots of blueprints, and the ability to call and harass anyone you want. You should have enough time to shop online and pick stuff up upon arrival if you'd like, or maybe attempt to illicitly gain more access to things. What do you do?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



HP: 16/16 | Armor: 2 | Damage: d8 | Charge: ◇◇◇ | Load: 9/10 | XP: 3/9

Behold laughs when the crawler starts ascending. "When I left the 'express' was still getting packed into a modified cargo capsule and shot into orbit with the mass driver. This is luxury compared to that. They always talked about getting this up and running, it's cool to see they finally did."

Once they arrive and Gunner gives them the run of the place, Behold considers, then looks up the arrangements for how they're supposed to get out to the satellite, and then how to get back downwell. "Anyone else have experience with orbital ops or EVA? Given the, uh, complications locally, maybe we really do need a shopping trip..."

"Oh, and does anyone want to go the Ball with me?" Behold tries to say it casually, like she's cool if the others want to blow it off, but it's pretty clear she hopes someone will volunteer to back her up.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011




HP: 12/12 | Armor: 1 | Damage: d8 | Load: 4/7 | XP: 3/9

"Sure, why not." Seira shrugs. "It's not like I have anywhere else to be."

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?




A red warning light illuminates the platform.

Gunner grabs onto the handrail. "Might want to - "

She doesn't get a chance to say anything before the elevator comes to a crashing halt, flinging everyone into the ceiling. Rather than fall back to the ground, you stick there, now apparently in zero gravity. The warning lights die out and the doors fling themselves open to reveal a large central cargo hanger. The outer edge of the massive cylindrical space is filled with spacecraft in various states of repair and resupply.

"I should have said something about that earlier, but I forgot. They really need to adjust the deceleration rate on this thing," she grumbles. "We're here. I can take you to Bishop now," she says to Zann. "And anyone else that cares to come with. The rest of you get lost."

A rather rough fellow climbs into the compartment just after Gunner flings herself out.



"Oy, howzit ladies?" He renders a facetious - but sharp - salute. "You need a taxi around, eh? Take you to lodging, maybe some food, maybe a party, maybe some sketchy abandoned satellites for a li'l bit of questionably legal salvage?"

Zann and Co.

After a lengthy zero-G trip through a long corridor to the outside of one of several artificial gravity rings, Gunner leads you through numerous secured gates within a spotless medical complex. The equipment present and lack of patients makes it clear that this is more of an experimental facility. The final gate opens to reveal a garishly synthetic body suspended in the middle of the room from a web of wiring.



"Here he is." Gunner shrugs. "Got any ideas?"

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.



HP 25/25 | Armor 4 | Load 8/14 | XP 2/9

Reflexes had overridden thought when the gravity shifted, and Sol had scooped Neon up before he even realized what was happening. It had worked out for the best - his helmet and armor absorbed the impact and she didn't have to worry about her nose getting broken again. He gave Neon a moment to climb off of him before hauling himself back to his feet.

As Javadi lead Zann off, Sol picked up their gear and looked down at Neon. "What's your preference, boss lady?"

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010


Royalty is a continuous cutting motion



HP: 18/18 | Armor: 0 | Damage: d4 | Load: 4/6 | XP: 5/9
Undead Servants: Chauncey, Gigantic Multi-Armed Porter| Stats: +3 STR, +2 CON/DEX, +1 INT/WIS/CHA | HP: 12/12 | Armor: 2 | DMG: +4


Hmm. This could be a thorny one. "Tell me about it. Is he responsive at all? Memory impediments? What kind of psyche-shock did he take? Was it a direct neural link, was he buffered? The more information I can get about this, the better." Zann holds up a hand and adds, "And before you get into the proprietary information lecture, I really don't care what he was looking at, just how."

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011




HP: 12/12 | Armor: 1 | Damage: d8 | Load: 4/7 | XP: 3/9

"I'm going to die someday." Seira groans, pushing herself from the ceiling to float back on the floor. "It's going to be because I fell upside-down."

Her PA generated an impact shield at the last second, so she only took a blow to her dignity at worst. Still.

"Maybe we should lodge first. I'm absolutely not dressed for a party..."

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?




Zann and Co.

Gunner produces a tablet and swipes through a few menus. "Unclassified stuff... Nonresponsive. Memory's all there, no discontinuities that the docs could figure out. Don't know what sort of shock it was, since things look normal, but it was an unbuffered, direct neural link via a datajack fiber optic cable. Stupid." She shakes her head. "Listen, I won't even pretend to understand the rest of the data that's cleared for release, but I can tell you that all the docs and specialists that tried to make direct mental contact all got spooked. Said something was trying to make contact them. Some guys got a part to do a thing that should clear it up. It's a memory discontinuity without consent, but he can decide how big a problem he has with that if he wakes up. If you have any bright ideas, feel free to try them out."

Sketchy Pirate Guy

The man slides up to Seira. "You need to stop by the shopping district then? No problem at all! Need a dress for ball tailored right away? Or maybe not a dress, but whatever nonsense you plan on wearing. I know all the best places, yeah?"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




HP: 18/18 | Armor: 1 | Damage: d8 | Poise: 3/4 | Load: 5/6 | XP: 7/9 | Currently: Stylish

Neon=Neon grinned at Seira, "If you need new clothes for the party..." The neon constructs popped into existence around her and began to dance and spin excitedly. "These little ones love to make new outfits. I guarantee they'd be much more stylish and regal than anything your... friend, there, can offer."

Turning her attention back to Sol, she adds, "We'll be attending the ball with Behold and Seira, of course!" Neon=Neon gives him an appraising look. "Do you have any dress armor? I could probably add some decorative embellishments, but..." She taps her chin thoughfully, imagining Sol in a wide variety of armor styles.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.



HP 25/25 | Armor 4 | Load 8/14 | XP 2/9

"I've nothing fancy, but that's intentional. A bodyguard works best when they blend in. My size makes that difficult, and my face even more so. The next best thing, then, is to look like the scenery. With all the cyborgs employed these days, neutral colors and well-kept gear that doesn't stand out makes a person just this side of invisible. I will need to take some time to polish my boots though."

As he spoke, Sol kept a sharp eye on the fellow who had let himself in. Something about the guy was sending warning signals up and down his spine. The tattoos, the jewelry, and those teeth...he struck Sol as a wannabe pimp. Or slaver. Whatever he was, he wasn't sure he liked the idea of Seira going off with him. Had he seen or heard of tattoos like those before? Perhaps glanced over a bounty notice for someone fitting this piratey fellow's description? He blinked and let his mind flow unguided, permitting the bits of knowledge and rumor he had accumulated over the years float through his consciousness. Sometimes the best way to remember something was to let it come to him. Memory was like a nervous rabbit sometimes - chasing it would only make it flee.

Discern Realities: 2d6+1 11
What should I be on the lookout for?
Who's really in control here?
What here is not what it appears to be?

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?




This guy's pushy mannerisms seems to be a show that's only growing more absurd with each rejection. Best to keep an eye out just in case he gets more aggressive. And he arrived far too quickly, almost as if he was waiting, or someone tipped him off to your arrival. The taxis in the background are only just now starting to cruise in your direction.

After further examination, the tattoos are little more than bad ideas by someone with poor judgement and even poorer taste. The pattern across the face is simply an imitation tribal design. One tattoo does stand out, however. Is that a Shiheian character? No... Central Kingdom? Wei?

Was this Hibiki's contact?

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.



HP 25/25 | Armor 4 | Load 8/14 | XP 2/9

Sol openly scrutinized the man, before turning to Neon. "...Madam, remind me to thank Captain Cinnamonroll for the ride when we get a chance. It slipped my mind, and I feel like a bit of a jackass."

He cocked his head back towards the man. He waited just long enough for the silence to get awkward before continuing. He wasn't the people person his teammates were, but he knew a thing or two about putting people off their balance and seizing the initiative in a conversation. "Trouble you for a match?" That was the code phrase Hibiki had given them. Now to find out of this was their man or just some sleazy grifter. Well, he was a sleazy grifter either way. The response would just determine if he was a sleazy grifter Sol could fold into a pretzel if the urge struck.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



HP: 16/16 | Armor: 2 | Damage: d8 | Charge: ◇◇◇ | Load: 9/10 | XP: 3/9

Behold weathered the deceleration pretty well, but then spent some time fielding notifications and requests. Now that she's caught up, looks down at her environment suit. "I guess I need a dress too, huh? I wasn't expecting to need formal wear so all I brought was work stuff."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009




HP: 26/26 | Armor: 1 | Damage: d10 | Load: 5/9 | XP: 5/9

"I hope you know a good tailor," grumbles Jet, lurking behind her nominal employer. "It's fuckin' hell trying to look good and hide all the metal-" Jet pauses. "Wait, this is like, your peeps right? poo poo, they won't give a flying gently caress! This is great!"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



HP: 16/16 | Armor: 2 | Damage: d8 | Charge: ◇◇◇ | Load: 9/10 | XP: 3/9

"Not everyone up here is an Arrowist - but yeah, not only will folks not mind, if anything you should flaunt it."

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011




HP: 12/12 | Armor: 1 | Damage: d8 | Load: 4/7 | XP: 3/9

Seira nods politely to Neon. "I don't know if I'd look good with your um, style of dress, but if you're offering, I'll take it." She thinks about it a bit. "I'm personally curious how these constructs work..."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




HP: 18/18 | Armor: 1 | Damage: d8 | Poise: 3/4 | Load: 5/6 | XP: 7/9 | Currently: Stylish

Neon=Neon shrugs, "Hopes, dreams, a touch of magic...? They've been around as long as I can remember. The clothes will be fabulous, don't you worry, they'll get you set up to dazzle and impress like you wouldn't believe!" She leans in closer to Seira, a teasing smile on her face as she adds, "I could even set up a photo shoot for you, I'd bet we'd get some real cute pictures for you to send back to Natasha~!"

Turning back to Sol, she adds, "Will do~! That little cutie can't just sneak off without a proper send-off."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010


Royalty is a continuous cutting motion



HP: 18/18 | Armor: 0 | Damage: d4 | Load: 4/6 | XP: 5/9
Undead Servants: Chauncey, Gigantic Multi-Armed Porter| Stats: +3 STR, +2 CON/DEX, +1 INT/WIS/CHA | HP: 12/12 | Armor: 2 | DMG: +4


Well. Zann would stretch if Zann ever needed to stretch (the same goes for cracking knuckles.) With a long look at the hanging Bishop, Zann turns to Gunner and says "I don't think there's anything for it. I think Mr. Bishop has company in there, and I'll have to have to go in and sort things out. I'm too worried about sealing the problem in if I use my generalized repair spells. Matthias, let's set up a buffer network with our control equipment. They already have will interpretation built in." Zann starts to fiddle with their effector units and the nearby interface units, adding "I hope this gentleman has a phylactery, but given what he's already done to himself I doubt it. It would make things a lot easier -- with me, you could just smash whatever my consciousness was currently entangled with and I'd just re-integrate up on the moon." Holding up some ungodly kludge of post-mortality control system and neural projection and interpretation network, Zann asks "What do you think? This should get me in there, and make things mostly understandable."

wiegieman fucked around with this message at Oct 18, 2017 around 16:46

  • Locked thread
«15 »