Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
Are the paint colours yellow and yellowish? How did they work the first time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Holy poo poo, my wish came true. I hope at least one of those upcoming Splatfests is new or a Splatoon 1 rematch.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

SeANMcBAY posted:

Holy poo poo, my wish came true. I hope at least one of those upcoming Splatfests is new or a Splatoon 1 rematch.

The last splatfest should be a celebration of Splatoon 3 reveal.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Tafferling posted:

The last splatfest should be a celebration of Splatoon 3 reveal.

I feel like we’re only getting them cause covid hosed up a lot of Nintendo’s plans for the year.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Tafferling posted:

Are the paint colours yellow and yellowish? How did they work the first time?

Yes. That also reminds me, Color Lock is an option that exists, which overrides the colors of the match and replaces them with 2 different ones. I've had to turn it on because the night lighting really doesn't play nicely with this color scheme. Could barely tell the bombs apart which got me killed a couple of times.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I saw that last ditch effort got buffed at some point, and is better in ranked. Is it worth using?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1285545386015244290

INK FOR THE INK GODS!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Team Marina!

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Oh hey, I know what im doing on my birthday!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I played this again a bit for the first time in a while. It's such a fun fun game. Unfortunately I had to keep to the tri-sloshers, which is fine, it's my favorite weapon, because when I tried anything else it was like playing again for the first time.

I think it would be fun to get back into it, maining a different weapon this time (I'm thinking brushes or rollers), but I don't feel like eating it for a while first. Kinda wish there was an easier way to practice. Oh well!

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I’ve been playing recently again as well (before my ff14 addiction) and it really is great. Just doing turf war now and it’s just a chill time. Splatfest this coming weekend right? What side everyone going with?

I have someone from France on my friends list, guessing it’s you? You ever play with wabbylegs?

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

My favourite weapons are the black umbrellas and they are, by most accounts, the shittest weapons to use for many reasons.

As for what side to go with, I once again have to defer to my 8 year old son's wisdom and pick Chicken.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Social Animal posted:

I’ve been playing recently again as well (before my ff14 addiction) and it really is great. Just doing turf war now and it’s just a chill time. Splatfest this coming weekend right? What side everyone going with?

I have someone from France on my friends list, guessing it’s you? You ever play with wabbylegs?

My name in-game is the same as on SA 100yrs. It's possible I've played with you but I can't say I remember.

I went chicken, but I'm not going to explain why because it just barely makes sense to me.

Cactus posted:

My favourite weapons are the black umbrellas and they are, by most accounts, the shittest weapons to use for many reasons.

As for what side to go with, I once again have to defer to my 8 year old son's wisdom and pick Chicken.

Undercover Brellas are my 2nd favorite weapons but I'm terrible with them since they have such weak killing power. In theory they are very cool, but you need to be a very good shot because they'll only take a hit or two before breaking.

Everything else besides the tri-slosher requires too much aim for me, or fires too slowly to be good. The Splat Jr is still a favorite since it's more about just painting slowly. I never try to win fire fights with them.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
:siren: Post-Splatocalypse schedules: Chicken vs Egg redux :siren:

• US August 21st 15:00 PT – August 23rd 15:00 PT
  • EU August 22nd 0:00 CET – August 24th 0:00 CET
  • JP August 22nd 7:00 JT – August 24th 7:00 JT
  • AU/NZ August 22nd 8:00 AET – August 24th 8:00 AET

Get ready for the THUNDERDOME this weekend.

There will also be two more bonus Splatfests until March, so dust off those gears!

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I think it would be fun to get back into it, maining a different weapon this time (I'm thinking brushes or rollers), but I don't feel like eating it for a while first. Kinda wish there was an easier way to practice. Oh well!
I feel like turf and chill with goons on the discord is the best way to experiment and try new weapons, as it's very low stakes and usually a good time, but you'd also likely eat it for a while there until you get a grasp of peoples playstyles too.

Also as a guy that picked roller up in Splat 1 and essentially never really bothered with anything else, I heartily advocate trying rollers.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Crawfish posted:

I feel like turf and chill with goons on the discord is the best way to experiment and try new weapons, as it's very low stakes and usually a good time, but you'd also likely eat it for a while there until you get a grasp of peoples playstyles too.

Also as a guy that picked roller up in Splat 1 and essentially never really bothered with anything else, I heartily advocate trying rollers.

Yes, join the Discord.

https://discord.gg/XwH4Wg

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Play a lot of salmon run if you want to learn other weapons cause that won't give you a choice in the matter other than Get Good.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Crawfish posted:

I've played with you guys before and it's always great. Our time zone differences make it a bit tougher for me unfortunately. I know there's another Euro-goon and we'd team up on occasion. Goons are good and fun people to paint with.

LethalGeek posted:

Play a lot of salmon run if you want to learn other weapons cause that won't give you a choice in the matter other than Get Good.

That's not a bad idea. I'd feel bad about being the one losing it for the team though. I'll just suck it up and try some things out in-game. Who cares if I lose a bunch!

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

That's not a bad idea. I'd feel bad about being the one losing it for the team though. I'll just suck it up and try some things out in-game. Who cares if I lose a bunch!

If you put eggs in the basket instead of spamming "over here" on top of two eggs while I put five eggs in the basket you will be a valuable teammember. If you throw your bombs into the flyfishes, you will be great. The bar is very, very low for salmon run.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah I know. I'd have to drop rank a bit though, because someone not knowing how to handle their weapon isn't great. Whenever I get a sniper I fear for the team. Thankfully, you get some people sometimes who know how to pull their weight and then some.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

This might be an unpopular opinion, but playing through the single player campaigns (octo canyon and deep sea metro) is another great place to practice and work on your skills. And since it’s single player, there’s no stress about letting teammates down

Once you beat each stage in octo canyon you can replay it w any weapons you have unlocked, so if you are trying to get better w chargers or rollers or buckets, you can use that as a good training ground

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Also plus one for the discord, playing w fellow goons over the last year has leveled up my game significantly

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

vanilla slimfast posted:

This might be an unpopular opinion, but playing through the single player campaigns (octo canyon and deep sea metro) is another great place to practice and work on your skills. And since it’s single player, there’s no stress about letting teammates down

Once you beat each stage in octo canyon you can replay it w any weapons you have unlocked, so if you are trying to get better w chargers or rollers or buckets, you can use that as a good training ground

You know I hadn't thought of that. Maybe I'll hit up Octo Canyon again.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

.96 Gal has been my favorite and main weapon in both Splatoon 1 and 2. I usually choose the NZaps if I feel like being closer or for turf war.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

vanilla slimfast posted:

Oh absolutely. Playing through Hero Mode will give you a rock solid grasp of Splatoon's fundamentals, and Octo Expansion will sharpen them even further.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Yes, play the single player. They both have the added bonus of being really loving good, especially Octo Expansion.

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

Single player sucks rear end. Octo expansion is good but if you aren’t already somewhat proficient you will have a bad time.

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

Just practice weapons in the test area and head into turf wars or salmon run

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

Octo expansion is extremely fun and will improve your skills. The original single player is just ok but it will ramp you up to being ready for the expansion if you are new.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

que sera sera posted:

Single player sucks rear end. Octo expansion is good but if you aren’t already somewhat proficient you will have a bad time.

It wasn’t as good as Splatoon 1’s or Octo Expansion but it definitely doesn’t suck.

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

It wasn’t as good as Splatoon 1’s or Octo Expansion but it definitely doesn’t suck.

It’s just my opinion of course but i didn’t think it was fun and it doesn’t teach u any useful skills for multiplayer like octo at least does. Also i thought the levels were ugly and the music and sound effects gave me a migraine. Idk if I was new to this game and ppl told me to play single player first I would probably never pick it up again.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Hero Mode is fun I will die on this hill.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I did a bit of it earlier, and frankly it holds up. The bots aren't great or anything, but the best thing of the Octo Expansion is that it allows me to properly test movement, and ammo supplies while under fire.

I think it's one of the best DLC's I've ever bought and that Nintendo has made.

que sera sera posted:

It’s just my opinion of course but i didn’t think it was fun and it doesn’t teach u any useful skills for multiplayer like octo at least does. Also i thought the levels were ugly and the music and sound effects gave me a migraine. Idk if I was new to this game and ppl told me to play single player first I would probably never pick it up again.

Hero Mode was the best "talking on the phone" game. I ended up getting all the replica weapons during my phone calls home, as well as all the unlockables.

It's certainly not difficult because I could it while on the phone but it's perfect for that.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Hero Mode is alright, serves its purpose of letting people get used to the game controls and such, and teaches them a few things. That being said, the whole 8 full completions for 100% was a bit much.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Best part of hero mode is that fat beat when you’re standing on top of the octoling assault missions.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Araxxor posted:

Hero Mode is alright, serves its purpose of letting people get used to the game controls and such, and teaches them a few things. That being said, the whole 8 full completions for 100% was a bit much.

Yeah, that sucked. It shouldn’t be that ridiculous to unlock those weapons.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I hope they keep on doing splatfests, I don't mind the do-overs at all.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I hope they keep on doing splatfests, I don't mind the do-overs at all.

From the way they announced more, it sounds like the last currently planned one may be new.

I want redos from Splatoon 1 even if they skip the weird sponsored ones.

I also forgot it started so I should get on it tonight.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012