Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

People seriously underestimate the reach of the Splatling gun. I just had the entire enemy team one by one try to rush up a hallway at me with Aerosprays while I stood there spinning up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Icedude posted:

Here I thought after 3 years of Splatoon we'd finally be free of the "walks around shooting directly down at their feet" Turf War players, but here I am getting them on my team again :negative:

Also I'm actually warming up to the Splatling now. The range certainly helps with the current problem of Aerosprays being everywhere.

I'm gonna miss having them on the opposing team, especially when I piss of like three of them at once and they keep on charging my splatling gun.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

People seriously underestimate the reach of the Splatling gun. I just had the entire enemy team one by one try to rush up a hallway at me with Aerosprays while I stood there spinning up

:yeah:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The only thing that makes me iffy about the next Salmon Run set is the carbon roller and charger. Carbon rollers because I'm not sure it will be able to splat regular chums with its roll. If it can't then its gonna be pretty inferior to a regular roller in this mode. If it can then its obviously fine.

Charger I'm afraid of solely because I'm awful with chargers. I lost count of how many times I tried to line up a shot on a steelhead, got hugged by a smallfry, and then completely panicked before flailing into the ocean. I have no idea what the optimal way to defend yourself with a charger is at close range.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

i'm bad with charger but at short range can't you just tap the fire button?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

UntunedGuitar47 posted:

Thanks for the tip, I'll try that right a way. :tipshat:

*intermission music plays*

Yea nah, doesn't work, ranked is loving retarded randoms too and elo hell is C-, but that is where I'm supposed to be as it seems. (also there is no "YOU ARE THE PROBLEM!", this is a team effort, and if you're paired with Aerosplat MG retards who still think they are hot poo poo with their curling bomb spam in ranked, you are SOL)
At least the matches in ranked are over in unter a minute, but on the flip side you get diddly squat.

My w/l ratio is now 18/32, good loving matchmaking this. :wave:

If you are good you will climb out of C- easily, if you're not you're bad and belong in C-

I don't know why you think this is complicated

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

The first few weeks of ranked are always a cluster, as good players are still working their way up to the higher ranks

Just enjoy getting better, friend

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I completely belong in C-. I'm the worst roller player ever.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

A perfect match making system has you losing half the time so still winning 18 games is not bad

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The goal is to have good and middling players separated by skill though, right? Like I'm not likely to be amazing any time soon so most of the amazing players should get bundled together when they achieve their A++++ status, correct?

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I just started ranked, halfway through C-. I think there's definitely not a lot of bright players at this rank but being good means being able to adjust to that. I never equip a roller for example, almost all of my teams have at least two rollers so I don't need to run that. I also try to bring the right weapon for the map and the mode, that's a lot of fun for me personally.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Yes, you are placed with people around your skill level, so it's always a severe self own when people call their (ranked) teammates braindead morons

Edit: needing to climb to your appropriate rank initially notwithstanding

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
If you can't get out of C rank and you're blaming that fact on your teammates lmao.

The way it's set up you have to win like 5 times and you can lose 8 or so and still rank up. Also if you're a pro you can just skip whole levels when you level up cause the game knows you're good.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

look guys stop I know I suck at the game please stop rubbing it in

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Jarogue posted:

I think I get it now why people said the Splattershot Jr. was too legit to quit in the first game

Ink Armor isn't anywhere near as good as Bubbler was, but none of the specials in this game are as good as the ones in the first game anyway, so the Jr. is still excellent. I kept trying other guns in the first game and just kept coming back to the Jr. because I liked the feel and performance of it. It's one of the best guns to have in a high speed close range knife fight and it spits out ink almost as well as the Aerospray (to the point where I can barely feel the difference.) The standard grenades are just about the most useful and versatile bombs because they can flush people out of a place you can't reach or get then to keep away from a place or deter pursuit when you need to reposition for a backstab or whatever.

You'll rarely win running straight at someone using most other guns since they'll outrange you but that's not the best way to kill anyone anyway. If you can get into close range you'll win every time though, even if they know full well that you're there. The RoF and the spread just make it perfect for those point blank fights where you're jumping around like a maniac. Any weapon should win in a perfect ambush but the Jr. will see you through if things go wrong.

I haven't even bought any other guns yet because past experience tells me I won't use them anyway

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 24, 2017

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I got an entire letter rank higher scrimming with my boys than solo queueing though.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Kirios posted:

look guys stop I know I suck at the game please stop rubbing it in

The rank bar getting cracks in it when you lose repeatedly hurts my video game ego/pride

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Somehow people are "printing" pictures into Splatoon 2 with a Pokken control. https://github.com/shinyquagsire23/Switch-Fightstick

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
You can program a series of commands into the fight stick and it uses those to draw the picture like an old dot matrix. Interesting technically but kinda lame when every single postcard thing is a rasterbated meme.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So why did I go straight from C- to B- on my rank up?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I'm having trouble super jumping. I utilized it a lot during Splatfest, but now in the full actual game, its just not doing anything at all anymore. Any tips? Is it something that I need to unlock or something? I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Internet Kraken posted:

The game can tell you're good (based on how you did in the matches compared to the other players) and bumped you up to try and get you to your correct level sooner.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Internet Kraken posted:

Did you play with anyone on your friend's list? That's the thing I see in common when people keep saying they go up a whole letter grade

edit: beaten

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mahoning posted:

I'm having trouble super jumping. I utilized it a lot during Splatfest, but now in the full actual game, its just not doing anything at all anymore. Any tips? Is it something that I need to unlock or something? I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

Gotta be alive, gotta select an ally (D-pad.. thing) and the cursor needs to be relatively close to that ally. It's honestly pretty finicky, though I don't know why.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
You don't even need to use the dpad, just select a teammate on the map and button mash until you respawn.

Lobstertainment
Jun 10, 2004

jokes posted:

... the cursor needs to be relatively close to that ally.

This is what I was missing at least, thank you.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

jokes posted:

Gotta be alive, gotta select an ally (D-pad.. thing) and the cursor needs to be relatively close to that ally. It's honestly pretty finicky, though I don't know why.

I just hold X-dpad(whichever one you wanna jump to) and press A, and that works fine.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Bill Barber posted:

The game can tell you're good (based on how you did in the matches compared to the other players) and bumped you up to try and get you to your correct level sooner.

So apparently I'm better at splat zones than tower control or rain maker. Neat

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

i gotta get a wifi hotspot so i can splat on the beach this summer

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Internet Kraken posted:

The same happened to me but all hell broke loose at B- and it went very poorly. Which is weird, considering I was still climbing in Splatoon 1 at A+.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

inferis posted:

i gotta get a wifi hotspot so i can splat on the beach this summer

PSA: Splatoon 2 uses about 150MB per hour

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Not a Children posted:

People with data caps bursting into tears.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I'm not the only one checking Annie's store on the phone app every 2 hours to see if there's any super fresh gear right??

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Not a Children posted:

You wouldn't download 5000 gallons of paint, would you?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Spacebump posted:

Somehow people are "printing" pictures into Splatoon 2 with a Pokken control. https://github.com/shinyquagsire23/Switch-Fightstick

I approve of this if it keeps up the hilarious posts in seeing during battles.

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?

Lakbay posted:

I'm not the only one checking Annie's store on the phone app every 2 hours to see if there's any super fresh gear right??

This is where all my salmon run bonuses go.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit
oh yes people learning rainmaker for the first time taking it back to OUR base because they're thinking capture the flag and not TOUCHDOWN *spikes that poo poo*

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Spacebump posted:

So the switch will just accept any USB HID device with the correct descriptors as a pro controller? :thunk:

I figured that the USB connection was for charging and making the initial wireless sync easier and that the actual controller communication was over wireless, but this sort of opens things up for weird custom controllers. I wrote USB HID code for a different brand of microcontroller years ago that I should dig back up and play with.

Afro posted:

oh yes people learning rainmaker for the first time taking it back to OUR base because they're thinking capture the flag and not TOUCHDOWN *spikes that poo poo*

Rainmaker would be so poo poo if you had to take it back to your own base

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

deadly_pudding posted:

Somebody on Reddit recently revealed a program they made that simulates inputs from a fightstick or something over USB to "print" things in splatoon using scripted inputs, though, so at least some of them are probably that.
Got a link for this? My art is garbage but I'd like to have some pics ready to go for splatfest at least.

Edit: New page and it's me, I'm the bad poster.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Spacebump posted:

I dunno I'm finding this kind of boring to look at. Splatoon 1 the Miiverse posts were pretty amazing to look at the really nicely done ones but I'm finding the black and white recreation of a meme with some text pretty bleh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
The Aerospray MG is amazing. :getin: