Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Dr Cheeto posted:

What are the foil packs that Salmon Run specials come in supposed to look like, anyhow?

Juice packs. If you haven't noticed, they're strapped to your inkling's hat. This way you can scope how
many specials your teammates have left too.

Also I didn't notice until really late that your preserver ring is your ink gauge in Salmon Run. :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Supercar Gautier posted:

I found someone streaming the JP Splatfest. Still waiting for Shifty Station to come up, but it's gotta happen sooner or later.

Turns out there's more than one battle song this time. Neat!
I found a different stream and man these colours are a hell of a thing.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
dirty jobs with mike roe

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Bloop posted:

If your Win/Loss is more important than just having fun playing (which is fine, you do you) and you are complaining that some particular weapon is overpowered, then for squid's sake use that weapon and GET GUD

But what if you dislike that weapon?

I mean I like the buckets just fine but let's say Nintendo drops the ball and makes the Chargers super OP and then every game turns into 2Fort sniper battles?

gently caress that, Nintendo should make balance changes to weapons make sure that the meta doesn't get stale.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Somebody said XP tickets are worthless, why is that? I heard the 1.5x ones double your exp for ten round then you get normal exp for ten rounds, averaging 1.5x. Which is weird I guess.

Edit: if you buy all the upgrades in single player, you can get meal tickets every 1500 eggs. So I guess if you want to get all the Hero Replica weapons you will get some tickets out of it, too.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

dragon enthusiast posted:

dirty jobs with mike roe

nice

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

bizarre deformity posted:

Somebody said XP tickets are worthless, why is that? I heard the 1.5x ones double your exp for ten round then you get normal exp for ten rounds, averaging 1.5x. Which is weird I guess.

There is a level cap, tickets just get you there faster. You get weapons until level thirty and snails from there, but you get more snails from splat fest anyway. You actually churn through coins very fast so you are much much better off just using those tickets instead.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I mean I'd rather just pop XP boosts so I can touch those Dapple Dualies a bit faster and get my £££oads of money from Mr. Grizz but you do you, fam

I found a Grizzco polo in a capsule the other night which was pretty neat

mutantmanifesto
Nov 6, 2004

Wilson: Why don't you buy your canes at a medical supply store like a normal cripple?
House: Fewer bitchin' choices.
Has there been a consensus on abilities yet? At the moment I'm thinking swim speed/ninja squid/ink saver but I may be way off.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Dr Cheeto posted:

I mean I'd rather just pop XP boosts so I can touch those Dapple Dualies a bit faster and get my £££oads of money from Mr. Grizz but you do you, fam

I found a Grizzco polo in a capsule the other night which was pretty neat

I keep getting lovely drink tickets for my rewards, so I am perpetually coin starved even without trying to custom order triple sub ability gear or even getting all of the weapons.

The dapples are pretty loving good though.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

mutantmanifesto posted:

Has there been a consensus on abilities yet? At the moment I'm thinking swim speed/ninja squid/ink saver but I may be way off.

Whatever makes things work best for you/mode/weapon. Some things make no sense on some weapons and work way better on others. Like Chargers/Splatlings really don't need ninja squid, but brushes/carbon roller might. And even then it's a trade off cause it slows you down.

edit: haven't really recreated it fully yet but I used to use the tech splattershoot in tower control with 1 man sub down, 3 sub downs, ink resist, ink recovery up, and lots of speed to move fast and chuck endless sticky bombs at the tower.

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 4, 2017

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lelandjs posted:

gently caress that, Nintendo should make balance changes to weapons make sure that the meta doesn't get stale.
I agree and it also sounds like you enjoy fun more than having a big ePEEN score

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

If you're trying to actually do the whole min/max thing, you should be tailoring your weapon and equipment selection to the current maps. Nothing covers every situation. For example, if you're in a map with a lot of cover like Mackerel or the Gym, you probably won't need ninja squid unless you've got a really close-range weapon.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

LethalGeek posted:

Whatever makes things work best for you/mode/weapon. Some things make no sense on some weapons and work way better on others. Like Chargers/Splatlings really don't need ninja squid, but brushes/carbon roller might. And even then it's a trade off cause it slows you down.

edit: haven't really recreated it fully yet but I used to use the tech splattershoot in tower control with 1 man sub down, 3 sub downs, ink resist, ink recovery up, and lots of speed to move fast and chuck endless sticky bombs at the tower.

Also different specials and weapon combos are worth different things. I saw a guy with a splattershot and triple special charge on splat zones who just spammed super jump splash down the entire round. Outside of ninja squid on brush/roller, I don't think there will be a best.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Why is it I'm in A rank and some people still don't know what the tower is or that you have to stand on it to make it move

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

lelandjs posted:

I know, I know, if you're stuck in C- you deserve to be there. Only having a few hours to play video games a day makes for some slow progress.

I feel this. Throw me as many defeats as you want Splatoon 2, but please wait until after I unlock League. Hey five rainmaker wins in a row, because I actually know how rainmaker plays and memorize maps! Goes up to C. And now I'm out of playtime.

E: Well I switched to roller on rainmaker because it completely destroys people in C, so maybe this next rank up will skip C+. Fingers crossed.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 4, 2017

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
If you can't go from C- to B- in 2 hours then you're not very good at the game. :colbert:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bill Barber posted:

"ask me about my worthless white noise posting in games"

:colbert:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bill Barber posted:

If you can't go from C- to B- in 2 hours then you're not very good at the game. :colbert:

Quoting for posterity re:not being very good at things

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

The Bloop posted:

If ... you are complaining that some particular weapon is overpowered, then for squid's sake use that weapon and GET GUD

This is the correct answer at any rate. Every weapon has a foil/counter. Gitting gud with the dynamo in S1 showed me its weaknesses and strengths and other players using it ceased to be a problem, regardless if I was using the dynamo or one of my other favorites (bucket, nzap, splatling).

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Ugh. I kept getting matched with the most incompetent teams in ranked today. Like just running around the tower control map completely away from the tower. Did manage to eke out a few wins, but they were hard fought. The sticky bombs as a secondary are pretty drat useful for area denial. As an aside, Port Mackerel is a horrible map and I hate it in every mode.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

dog nougat posted:

Ugh. I kept getting matched with the most incompetent teams in ranked today. Like just running around the tower control map completely away from the tower. Did manage to eke out a few wins, but they were hard fought. The sticky bombs as a secondary are pretty drat useful for area denial. As an aside, Port Mackerel is a horrible map and I hate it in every mode.
It's not even fun in any way, even if you're rolling it's still awful.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Mackerel is a perfectly fine map

Learn to use the cover and it's a grand 'ole time.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dr Cheeto posted:

What are the foil packs that Salmon Run specials come in supposed to look like, anyhow?

They're gacha prizes and ALSO fishing bobbers because this game is amazing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gashapon

I thought it was really clear

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think they're meant to be juice packs like this -

Nah nah nah man, they're round. just look at em.

Its this:

Combined with this:

If its juice why are there holes in the top? Gacha frequently have holes. That's what really confirms it for me.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 4, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I like mackerel on ranked modes. It's too big for turf war imo

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
The only thing wrong with Mackerel is the existence of those drat fork lifts that love to gently caress you over. Other than that, it's a great level.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Shame Boner posted:

This is the correct answer at any rate. Every weapon has a foil/counter. Gitting gud with the dynamo in S1 showed me its weaknesses and strengths and other players using it ceased to be a problem, regardless if I was using the dynamo or one of my other favorites (bucket, nzap, splatling).
This pre or post nerf? The problem with that drat piece of poo poo is no matter how fast you were trying to either shot them first or dodge out of the way the lag got you 99 times out of a 100. At best you could trade kills.

The "delayed wind up time" was only enough if you were looking straight at them as they popped out to jump & swing at you. It was just plain stupid. Trislosher has nothing on that disaster of a weapon.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

My dude I know what a gatchapon capsule is I'm not a total baka gaijin. I'm not asking about the prize capsules I'm asking about the foil packages on the heads of the inklings that represent the Grizz-provided special weapons.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

grand theft grotto posted:

I agree. I've been using the trislosher a lot because I like its balance of range, spread and the ink armor special but it's not a super broken weapon that takes no skill to use and there are many counterplays to it.

like what

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dr Cheeto posted:

My dude I know what a gatchapon capsule is I'm not a total baka gaijin. I'm not asking about the prize capsules I'm asking about the foil packages on the heads of the inklings that represent the Grizz-provided special weapons.

Ahh my b

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bleck posted:

like what

Anything with range

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Port Mackerel and Moray Towers are my favorite maps

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

In Training posted:

Anything with range

ah yes, the classic "just get really good at sniping and every shooter game is balanced" stupid loving bullshit

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Bleck posted:

ah yes, the classic "just get really good at sniping and every shooter game is balanced" stupid loving bullshit

I would hardly call a n zap or 96 gal sniping. And I'm pretty sure they both out range the slosher

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Bleck posted:

no really just use any gun that shoots moderately far. i play trislosher and they're the bane of my existence

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
It my time with the Tri-slosher I would constantly get wrecked by anyone semi-competent using the Heavy Splatling.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

absolutely anything posted:

no really just use any gun that shoots moderately far. i play trislosher and they're the bane of my existence

Is trislosher a full line of range less than slosher?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

DalaranJ posted:

Is trislosher a full line of range less than slosher?

It's like...20 pixels shorter. Barely at all

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Nah the trislosher is just under a line shorter than the slosher. That's the difference between just barely shorter than the "normal" max range of weapons and being slightly longer, which is extremely important in practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Trislosher also outranges the splattershot and 52 gal which is plain stupid.