Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

NormenKD posted:

I asked this a while ago in the Switch thread, but i'll try again here:
Do you know any Writeups/Videos of the Splatoon 1 Story? I ain't gonna buy a Wii U.

Last time i asked i got "Octarians are bad" and the OP doesn't give much more.
Surely there is more to know, considering how invested everyone is in the Squid Sisters...

Here's a pretty good broad-strokes overview of the world of Splatoon.

Splatoon 1's story mode in a nutshell: Cap'n Cuttlefish, grandfather of Callie and Marie, fought in the Great Turf War against the Octarians and was maintaining a lonely vigil over Octo Valley at the time of Splatoon 1. The Octarians under the command of DJ Octavio steal Inkopolis's Great Zapfish, an important source of electricity, and the player is enlisted by Cuttlefish to recover the Zapfish as Agent 3. While the player is left to assume Agents 1 and 2 died in battle, after DJ Octavio kidnaps Cuttlefish it's revealed that Agents 1 and 2 are in fact Callie and Marie. In the final showdown with Octavio the Squid Sisters arrive and play one of their signature songs to assist the player in defeating Octavio and recovering their grandfather. The campaign ends as the Great Zapfish is restored to Inkopolis, and Cuttlefish resumes his vigil over the valley alongside DJ Octavio trapped in a snow-globe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

People love plain ice cream but how many people like plain white cake with no frosting?

Me

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Oh I'm sorry

(sorry you have terrible taste :boom: )

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
It is a bit unfair to team cake that this splatfest is in the middle of summer for temperate countries and people have an inclination for ice cream with how hot the weather is

NormenKD
Jul 14, 2013

Thanks, especially for the self-written stuff.

I hoped somebody could recommend a quality post/video somewhere, so i held back on sifting through a wiki.

I wish somebody like Arlo would make somekind of Supercut for easy/fun digestion :)

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Yeah, I couldn't find a good one with a quick search, unfortunately.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I finally got around to downloading the demo. I'm used to shooters like Halo, the gyro controls are frying my brain

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
The gyro controls are the only thing that makes it playable for me. I can't stand playing a shooter with a controller, it's too slow for me since I'm used to M+KB. Gyro fixes that so well.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The gas mask, is decidedly unfresh and should not be worn.

W-What the hell !!

The Bloop posted:

Amiibo armor was also a sign of a stale goober

What the heck !!

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
The frosting and other additions are what make cake so good, and it's the same with ice cream. Only squares eat plain ice cream and plain cake.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Onean posted:

If you want something to watch, here's a playthrough without commentary I just pulled up on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrD_jsmRpFE
It even shows the Sunken Scrolls which have a bunch of backstory stuff and where a solid chunk of the charm comes from.

If you want something to read, here's a very barebones overview:
Cap'n Cuttlefish is a veteran from a war quite a while back where Inklings and Octarians fought against each other. The Octarians lost, eventually. A little before the start of Splatoon 1 the Great Zapfish, the source of power for Inkopolis, had gone missing and Cap'n Cuttlefish knows it was the Octarians while everyone else doesn't believe him. At the start you're dubbed Agent 3 and basically told not to worry about Agents 1 and 2. Over the course of the campaign you get threats from the big bad who eventually reveals himself to be DJ Octavio, as well as hear little tidbits from Agents 1 and 2. Around the last chapter Cap'n Cuttlefish disappears and Agents 1 and 2 step in. By the last boss fight it's revealed they're Callie and Marie (though you've almost certainly figured out it's them before that) and you rescue Cap'n Cuttlefish, imprisoning DJ Octavio.

It's a pretty simple story, but the stuff that makes it really good isn't apparent in a quick overview like that. The levels are fun to play, the boss fights are interesting and unique, there's a good chunk of lore to be found in the Sunken Scrolls if you want, and the writing is charming. I definitely recommend watching a playthrough, even if it's not the one I linked above.

I like how when you replay the final mission Agents 1 & 2 talk about how they'll be doing a show during squidmas but they'll be visiting him before and after the holiday so he should stop sulking and getting kidnapped for attention.

edit: tags

Mr.Pibbleton fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 14, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
bad cake is way worse than bad ice cream, but good cake is way better than good ice cream

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Guy Goodbody posted:

bad cake is way worse than bad ice cream, but good cake is way better than good ice cream

It's all about risk versus reward. Cake is just good game design.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im excited about splatoon 2

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Hell,

me too.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Onean posted:

If you want something to watch, here's a playthrough without commentary I just pulled up on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrD_jsmRpFE
It even shows the Sunken Scrolls which have a bunch of backstory stuff and where a solid chunk of the charm comes from.

poo poo, that old man's voice is so generic and wrong. He is clearly meant to be a complete coot, he should have a crazy prospector voice! I hope Splatoon 2 has better attention to detail.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/885933673534693376

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Rexroom posted:

Weapon sets
  • Tentatek Splattershot w/ Splatbomb & Inkjet
  • Splat Roller w/ Curling Bomb & Splashdown
  • Splat Charger w/ Splat Bomb & Sting Ray
  • Splat Dualies w/ Burst Bomb & Tenta Missiles

EH, uh...I guess I'll take the Splattershot. But I'm not happy about it Nintendo!

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
One week! I'm glad this Splatfest thing is happening this weekend, it makes the wait easier.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I am very excited about splatfest and Splatoon 2

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost

Team Cake it is.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I am almost certain Reggie is Team Ice Cream and that just bolsters my resolve to contribute to Team Cake.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I'm team ice cream but I'm including gelato and frozen custard

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm really excited to play Splatoon 2 at launch because I didnt get splatoon until later on since I didnt have a Wii U for a while

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
After some soul-searching, I've realized that all my favorite ice creams are cake-flavored, so I'm turning coat and joining the Gremlin Team.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I'm team cake but I'm probably going to really bad at the game so RIP team cake

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Max posted:

I am almost certain Reggie is Team Ice Cream and that just bolsters my resolve to contribute to Team Cake.

I don't know about Reggie, but Bill is all in on ice cream
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/885939008609468416
God damnit, Bill

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Lakbay posted:

I'm team cake but I'm probably going to really bad at the game so RIP team cake

This is also my problem.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
These 7-11 clothes are way too subtle.

I want my crossover content to be drenched in garish branding.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Pearl has grown on me as a character so now I like both hosts the gremlin is fine

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

24 hours remain :bubblewoop:

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Modus Pwnens posted:

good cake includes torte, mont blanc, and the god of all desserts, swiss roll cakes, so...

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The Bloop posted:

I am very excited about splatfest and Splatoon 2

Hopefully you're better at Splatoon than you are at Mario Kart!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kirios posted:

Hopefully you're better at Splatoon than you are at Mario Kart!

Whoo sick burn

:glomp:

I still love you (I won a fair few but I probably played more Splatoon than every MarioKart combined and I have every one that wasn't on a portable)*

*this doesn't mean I'm better necessarily

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Yo, these pro controllers are pretty nice

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Modus Pwnens posted:

Gelato rules, I got a friend to try it and he got pissed off when he realized there weren't any good places for gelato near where he lives.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
Never played the original Splatoon but I'm very excited to buy my third game for a console I've had for four months. Cake and ice cream are both good but ice cream cake is trash, the worst of both worlds.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

da beeper king BABY posted:

Never played the original Splatoon but I'm very excited to buy my third game for a console I've had for four months. Cake and ice cream are both good but ice cream cake is trash, the worst of both worlds.

Ice cream cake > Ice Cream > Cake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

This one is tough because the average ice cream blows the average cake out of the water, like there's no comparison, and gelato in particular is loving amazing, but a really good cake, and I mean really good, basically can't be matched.

Are we dealing with the ideal of each, or with the average of each?