Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Dr. Fetus posted:

Get off the goddamn tower if there's more than one person on it.

Anyway,

Searching for the source, I have discovered that /r/Callieism and /r/Marieism are real places. Aces. Also /r/Marieism is more popular, as is right and proper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I miss the Splatoon 1 specials :(

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Inescapable Duck posted:

So it seems like Inklings tend to be overgrown children/stereotypes of young people who can barely be arsed paying attention to anything except what's fresh and trendy, and happen to have a favourite hobby of gladiatorial combat especially to settle petty arguments, while Octarians are mad scientists who come up with all kinds of fancy technology but can't think of any better way to power it than to steal glowfish and plug them into over-capacity power boards.

TBF the inklings are like 14 and I think DJ Octavio and Cap'n Cuttlefish are the only adults we see.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Improbable Lobster posted:

TBF the inklings are like 14 and I think DJ Octavio and Cap'n Cuttlefish are the only adults we see.

Are you saying Marina is not an adult? :gonk:

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I have found at A tier rainmaker a lot of players don't react well to you just grabbing the thing and running. Had a match where my initial boldness left us with 19 to go and the other team overall outplayed mine but never managed to push as deep.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

This should be in the OP.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

throw to first drat IT posted:

Anyway,

Searching for the source, I have discovered that /r/Callieism and /r/Marieism are real places. Aces. Also /r/Marieism is more popular, as is right and proper.

It's dangerous to go alone, please seek counseling.

P. S. We regret to inform you that brain remixing results in permanent brain damage.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Once Tower Control was explained to me as push and pull it made a lot more sense. You don't push the tower if the enemy is alive, the more of them you Splat the safer it is to push the tower. Also like in all modes if you hit X and primarily see the enemies color on the map you're either losing or going to lose.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Dr. Fetus posted:

Playing from behind in Splat Zones is an absolutely miserable experience. Once a team gets ahead, they pretty much stay ahead. Taking the zone back from the other team is like pulling teeth. Easily my least favorite of the ranked modes.
Echolocation is pretty much a requirement for me to break this.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Rexroom posted:

Are you saying Marina is not an adult? :gonk:

I always assumed all four idol characters were in their late teens. They look a few years older than the standard inklings, but they don't look like twentysomethings to me.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pearl's design kinda suggests she's either slightly younger than the player character or a runt.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

grand theft grotto posted:

I have found at A tier rainmaker a lot of players don't react well to you just grabbing the thing and running. Had a match where my initial boldness left us with 19 to go and the other team overall outplayed mine but never managed to push as deep.

I had a match in B rank where the enemy didn't Ink around the rainmaker of really anything in their spawn so I just ran straight into their base without inking at all and almost made it all the way to the totem.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

bizarre deformity posted:

I had a match in B rank where the enemy didn't Ink around the rainmaker of really anything in their spawn so I just ran straight into their base without inking at all and almost made it all the way to the totem.
My experience of B rank rainmaker was an enemy pushing deep into our spawn, inking near our totem when we had the rainmaker, had pushed deep into their territory and swiftly won by KO.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Inescapable Duck posted:

Pearl's design kinda suggests she's either slightly younger than the player character or a runt.

Her characterization makes me think she's older than marina and short

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

In Training posted:

Her characterization makes me think she's older than marina and short

No, the fivehead's definitely just an uppity brat. One of the sunken scrolls in the first game shows a picture of a younger Callie and Marie, and they had the exact same head proportions.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
She's a woomanlet.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Woomylet

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Gimbal lock posted:

All of the posts in-game about everybody's sexual preferences has inspired me. I'm going to post in this squid-kid game about how much I love huge tits.

Oh hell yes.

Lurkcopter
Aug 6, 2013
Pearl is named after a species of squid known for it's dwarfism in the japanese version, so i'm pretty sure she's just supposed to be short.

Also, the bit they do where Marina is surprised she still gets an allowance doesn't really work if she is still a kid.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lurkcopter posted:

Pearl is named after a species of squid known for it's dwarfism in the japanese version, so i'm pretty sure she's just supposed to be short.

Also, the bit they do where Marina is surprised she still gets an allowance doesn't really work if she is still a kid.

I think you'll find that joke is probably more due to her being a professional idol with a salary.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Doesn't Mariana call her 'Senpai' in Japan? Though honestly Mariana being such a people pleaser she just calls her aggro child friend that is also a strong option.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I feel like there was a long lore post early in this thread's history that explained it.

Also it may have been complaining about the English translation destroying the characters so who knows

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I feel like there was a long lore post early in this thread's history that explained it.

Also it may have been complaining about the English translation destroying the characters so who knows

I kinda remember that and yeah no one read it cause it was pure :spergin:

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I know Turf Wars is just for fun, yet losing your super fresh weapon rating due to a teammate disconnecting still feels bad.

Lurkcopter
Aug 6, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think you'll find that joke is probably more due to her being a professional idol with a salary.

I don't know, to me this feels like a rather cumbersome take on the joke. And besides, don't the parents of child performers usually receive the salary?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I keep having a strange bug where sometimes the buttons "stick" where the dpad will keep scrolling in one direction for longer than they should or it won't let me push buttons at all preventing me from skipping through off the hook or jumping in the street.

I'd assume it's a problem with the pro controller but when I hit the home button instead of pulling up the home menu like it should it brings up the ingame menu that lets you adjust brightness and stuff.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

tap my mountain posted:

I keep having a strange bug where sometimes the buttons "stick" where the dpad will keep scrolling in one direction for longer than they should or it won't let me push buttons at all preventing me from skipping through off the hook or jumping in the street.

I'd assume it's a problem with the pro controller but when I hit the home button instead of pulling up the home menu like it should it brings up the ingame menu that lets you adjust brightness and stuff.

I had the exact same problem and just sent my pro controller in for repairs

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Damnit it's gonna be hard going back to joycons for a week

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I actually like dual wielding joycons for this game

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
*in nasally nintendo customer service voice* did you try the face button calibration test in the system menu to see if it's just splatoon or if it's for everything?

Mine was for everything and when I said as such they made me send it in

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So when the op says use the motion aiming, is that talking about in docked mode? I typically use mine in handheld mode and it seems entirely unplayable if I use it then. I never owned a Wii U so I'm new to the game, so I'm still getting used to how it controls.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah if I'm going g handheld I'll play with regular aiming but I also only do that if I'm playing the single player. I wouldn't be able to do multi without the gyro

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

You fuckers be nice to best girl Pearl-sama

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
You'll probably want to play with max sensitivity (5) motion controls if you're doing handheld so you don't have to tilt the screen in whatever direction super far and can't see

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Lurkcopter posted:

I don't know, to me this feels like a rather cumbersome take on the joke. And besides, don't the parents of child performers usually receive the salary?

It's kind of complicated. In the US they're obligated to put a percentage - I think 15% - into a trust account for when the child reaches the age of majority, but they receive the rest, but I think there's nominally limitations on how they can spend it? It's kind of patchwork (like everything in the US) because of many years of state and federal laws overlapping and what not.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Momomo posted:

So when the op says use the motion aiming, is that talking about in docked mode? I typically use mine in handheld mode and it seems entirely unplayable if I use it then. I never owned a Wii U so I'm new to the game, so I'm still getting used to how it controls.

Mostly use the motion for aiming up/down and the stick for left/right turns and stuff. It's very easy to do it in both modes like this

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I hope they continue aging up inklings with each game. I want to be a grizzled adult one with a tentacle beard.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

check my post history, it's really funny

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

They completely changed Marina's AND Pearl's personality. I am not happy with it honestly.
Pearl in jp is much more awesome, cute, more feminine and peppy in a positive way than the english bratty one we're getting.(probably why we're getting shittons of fanart from the jp side...) And Pearl is awesome for accepting Marina, who is an Octoling which are like sworn enemies of Inklings. Girl is open minded.
Marina is actually polite, shy, and an endearing ditz genius instead of rude. She often forgets stuff and is very scatterbrained and adorable. If anything I'd say she's kinda moe in personality in a sexy DJ appearance. What the hell happened?!
And they totally missed out on the senpai kouhai dynamic the two has in jp version, Pearl actually seems like she was, leading Marina and showing her the ropes.
TLDR; Yes, I am very salty about the personality changes.

Edit: To clarify, I can read japanese and played both jp and US splatfests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Salmon Run is my own personal purgatory. Even when I sit down to try and progress in it I usually wind up breaking even if I'm lucky. Kind of makes me laugh though because you can tell the people who have never bothered to learn some of the guns almost instantly.