Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/899904148069634048
Quick recap of the announcement:
  • New Manta Maria stage arrives 26th of August
  • Forge Splattershot Pro with Bubble Blower arrives 2nd of September
  • New Salmon Run stage Lost Outpost arrives TOMORROW
  • Update to the game should arrive soonish

No. 1 Callie Fan fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Aug 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Both those new stages look great.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rexroom posted:

...ZOLTAN!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Kinda disappointing that they completely changed Pearl and Marina's personalities in the translation; I thought we'd gotten past this, it's not the 90s anymore, and we've got plenty of examples of how badly that can backfire in the long run. (see Ace Attorney) It's not quite 'calling rice balls donuts' level, but it's going to make a lot of difficult work for the translators in the long run given the Japanese characterisations may develop in obviously different ways than they're prepared to work with.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Japanese patch notes: https://support.nintendo.co.jp/app/answers/detail/a_id/34680

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Inescapable Duck posted:

Kinda disappointing that they completely changed Pearl and Marina's personalities in the translation; I thought we'd gotten past this, it's not the 90s anymore, and we've got plenty of examples of how badly that can backfire in the long run. (see Ace Attorney) It's not quite 'calling rice balls donuts' level, but it's going to make a lot of difficult work for the translators in the long run given the Japanese characterisations may develop in obviously different ways than they're prepared to work with.

Perhaps, but on further inking it was probably for the best, since the setting of a white coloured civilized squid showing a brown savage outsider the ways of their world could've had some unintended historical real life connotations in the West.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Nintendo are showing Manta Maria in more detail on the live stream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIzUjcVt8to

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Rexroom posted:

I love this guy's public persona. He's kind of a dork in all the best ways.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

What does it say?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
My wish was granted! Also will main the Forge Splattershot Pro if the bubble blower clicks with me and it has suction bombs like the datamine (I suck with point sensor)

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

bizarre deformity posted:

What does it say?

Google-translated it, so might have some errors in them. But anyway:
  • Sploosh-o-matic: increased walk speed by 11%
  • Luna Blaster: aim accuracy whilst jumping increased about 17%
  • Clash Blaster: Reduced ink consumption by 20%
  • Carbon Roller: Reduced ink consumption for flicks by 25%
  • Splat Roller: Reduced ink consumption for flicks by 10%
  • Dynamo Roller: Area of maximum damage for horizontal flicks extended by 14%
  • Splat Chargers and 4K Elite: Reduced the time for a full charge by 4/60 seconds.
  • Goo Tuber: Same, except by 5/60 seconds.
  • Splatling: Moving speed while charging increased by 20% and moving whilst shooting increased by 3%.
  • Splat Dualies: Extended the range by 9% and increased the special meter from 170 to 190
  • Enperry Dualies: Extended the range by 9% and increased the special meter from 170 to 200
  • Baller special: Reduce damage from main weapons (excluding blasters) by 40%

Lots of tweaking, some of which are pretty drastic.

No. 1 Callie Fan fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Aug 22, 2017

Owers
Nov 13, 2004

I want to be lean and mean.

Rexroom posted:

Google-translated it, so might have some errors in them. But anyway:
  • Sploosh-o-matic: increased walk speed by 11%
  • Luna Blaster: aim accuracy whilst jumping increased about 17%
  • Clash Blaster: Reduced ink consumption by 20%
  • Carbon Roller: Reduced ink consumption for flicks by 25%
  • Splat Roller: Reduced ink consumption for flicks by 10%
  • Dynamo Roller: Area of maximum damage for horizontal flicks extended by 14%
  • Splat Chargers and 4K Elite: Reduced the time for a full charge by 4/60 seconds.
  • Goo Tuber: Same, except by 5/60 seconds.
  • Splatling: Moving speed while charging increased by 20% and moving whilst shooting increased by 3%.
  • Splat Dualies: Extended the range by 9% and increased the special meter from 170 to 190
  • Enperry Dualies: Extended the range by 9% and increased the special meter from 170 to 200
  • Baller special: Reduce damage from main weapons (excluding blasters) by 40%

Lots of tweaking, some of which are pretty drastic.

http://www.nintendo.com.au/news/splatoon-2-software-update-23rd-august-2017

Nintendo Australia has the update log in English already.

"Flyfish can now be defeated by using a Splashdown special on their launchers."

Oh thank god, anything else that can defeat Flyfish is always welcome.

Owers fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Aug 22, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Baller getting a 40% defense buff makes sense, it was the least scariest special ever

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Owers posted:

"Fixed an issue where playing "With Friends" repeatedly would allow random players to join the group before selecting "Recruit crew members"." this is great, I thought this was weirdly intentional design that was kind of annoying to deal with but I guess it was a bug

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Owers posted:

Oh drat. Pretty much the same listing, but for some reason they left out the change to Enperry Dualies.

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
I like that Nogami is so committed to his 'Splatoon... 2!' thing that he's got a different pose for when he's being filmed from the waist up.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
And yet the Tri-Slosher remains untouched :negative:.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They went with the sensible balancing route of "buff everything else"

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

That dualies buff sounds pretty huge. Puts them on par with nzap?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I hope that clash blaster buff is enough to make it competitive with the other blasters, I tried the rapid blaster for a few matches yesterday and my splats per match skyrocketed from my normal average

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Inescapable Duck posted:

It's actually fine

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's actually fine

Oh no, they gave the shy shrinking-violet waifu-bait ditz an actual personality. How terrible, this is truly an affront to the original Japanese version :effort:.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also the Ace Attorney localization legitimately owns.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Fossilized Rappy posted:

People in Profreshional still have a strange aversion to killing Flyfish, even after a month of play. Is their thought process that you should just dodge them and focus on more important targets?

Usually I've been on some good streaks with profreshional pubbies, but today they seem to have forgotten that you're supposed to kill boss salmonids in general, both so you can get eggs to complete the wave and so you don't get overrun by five Stinger lasers crossing the streams while a thousand Flyfish bombs rain down on you.

Also, how do people get to Profreshional rank without knowing how to play Mothership or Gusher rounds? It's infuriating because you can tell within the first 10 seconds or so whether you're going to lose due to not enough eggs.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Waffleman_ posted:

I swear blind the Japanese developers are actively loving with the American localization team at this point, considering the game with Phoenix's ancestor set in 1920's Japan, and Turnabout Storyteller in Spirit of Justice.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Longer range seems like the last loving thing the dualies need. The iframes from those goddamn rolls are annoying enough on their own.

enojy posted:

I think so, but that's me. Unless I've got a bomb super or they're really conveniently located, I skip them -- there is just too much poo poo spawning at Profreshional to worry about saving up ink for a bomb and aiming up, just to take out half of it. It helps that they're one of the easier bosses to avoid completely.

If you catch a flyfish right as they open, you should have time to throw a bomb and charge up enough to throw a second bomb. I often wind up having to do that myself.

bizarre deformity posted:

A lot of people don't realize that sting ray can be the best special in Salmon Run if used properly. Sad.

Every time I got glowflies tonight, I stood by the basket and spammed this way. One of the times the whole team joined me after about fifteen seconds and we got 30+ eggs. Another time they didn't and we nearly wiped and barely got 20 eggs. Dudes with the glowflies kept running off on their own like idiots. I wish there were custom options for things to say with like, left and right on the dpad

I wish there was an option to express what I yell IRL every time somebody takes the elevator and leaves three people with eggs behind.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Yeah, it's not the '90s anymore, so you would think people would know after 20 years of dry, literal translations that going that route loving sucks.

raditts fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Aug 22, 2017

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

VibrantPareidolia posted:

I like that Nogami is so committed to his 'Splatoon... 2!' thing that he's got a different pose for when he's being filmed from the waist up.

They should change off the hook's end of broadcast gesture to that

Owers
Nov 13, 2004

I want to be lean and mean.

Waffleman_ posted:

You gotta give it to the localisation team for Phoenix Wright, they're pretty drat persistent.

I'm honestly not bothered by the Off The Hook localisation, it really could be a lot worse. If they start spewing outdated reddit memes, then I'll start to panic.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Speaking of localization work, the Dutch version has Pearl named as Lorelei, the mythical siren of the Rhine river who doomed sailors to their death. :v:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Localization changes aren't made without reason. You're also assuming they're that disconnected from the Japanese side of things and made without their approval.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They said that they're trying to buff the weaker weapons first instead of trying to touch everything at once. There's another patch coming in September that will be more of an overall balance patch. So if the Tri-Slosher still remains a big problem after this, it'll probably get touched there.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Rexroom posted:

Speaking of localization work, the Dutch version has Pearl named as Lorelei, the mythical siren of the Rhine river who doomed sailors to their death. :v:

Bahaha owns

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Mega64 posted:

It's a localization error. Marina's supposed to say "krill".

Looking forward to a new game mode reveal, "Krill Confirmed"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Owers posted:

You gotta give it to the localisation team for Phoenix Wright, they're pretty drat persistent.

I'm honestly not bothered by the Off The Hook localisation, it really could be a lot worse. If they start spewing outdated reddit memes, then I'll start to panic.

Fair, but that's kinda my point. If you're gonna take liberties with the localisation you'd better drat be a good writer on your own merits, because we've seen the worst of what can happen.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

raditts posted:

Longer range seems like the last loving thing the dualies need. The iframes from those goddamn rolls are annoying enough on their own.

I'm pretty sure the dualie roll doesn't have any iframes. I've never seen someone dodge through an attack that would of splatted them.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm pretty sure the dualie roll doesn't have any iframes. I've never seen someone dodge through an attack that would of splatted them.

Ditto, I've died mid roll many, many times.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

raditts posted:

Also, how do people get to Profreshional rank without knowing how to play Mothership or Gusher rounds? It's infuriating because you can tell within the first 10 seconds or so whether you're going to lose due to not enough eggs.

Don't those two only appear in profresh? If they show up during Go-Getter then they're rare enough for you to breeze through without encountering them.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Dualies definitely don't have i-frames. Dodge rolling in the middle of a fight isn't all that wise unless you're trying to escape or force the opponent to make very weird turns in order to get the upper hand.

tap my mountain posted:

Don't those two only appear in profresh? If they show up during Go-Getter then they're rare enough for you to breeze through without encountering them.

They start appearing in Overachiever.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Honestly in A+ I'm more tired of octobrushes everywhere than Tri Sloshers. They feel like they kill even more quickly, at surprisingly long range, and the autobomb is way more annoying to deal with. Last night I was up against two octobrushes on one team, and they just took turns hurling out autobombs and goddamn.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Internet Kraken posted:

It doesn't, it just makes you move fast and harder to hit than usual. It's best used for the brief fire concentration rather than trying to escape attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ive also seen some tricky super jump tricks by dodge rolling in that little period before landing where you can shoot