Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Rexroom posted:

Ability drinks are supposed to make certain abilities easier to get while leveling gears, right? Well, I did just that, and I got just one piece what was supposed to be in the drink.

Random chances are such bullshit. Just gimme the stuff already!

I think the latest theory from dataminers is that drinks set the chance to get that ability to 30%. So you aren't even statistically expected to get a single desired ability per gear you max. And like Lakbay said, couple pieces of gear aren't affected.
If you really want to minmax your drink, scrub your gear every time it gets the first level. Expensive tho. At least it also means that you can use your Haunt/Coldblood drinks for the exp bonus and not have to worry too much about ending with just them.

Sandwich cakes are great and that sounds delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
LDE is pretty OP because it's multiplicative with your other gear ability boosts which allows you to stack certain abilities over the max gear cap, but I'm fine with continuing to spread the misinformation about it being bad for ranked modes so that less people actually use it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

throw to first drat IT posted:

I think the latest theory from dataminers is that drinks set the chance to get that ability to 30%. So you aren't even statistically expected to get a single desired ability per gear you max. And like Lakbay said, couple pieces of gear aren't affected.
If you really want to minmax your drink, scrub your gear every time it gets the first level. Expensive tho. At least it also means that you can use your Haunt/Coldblood drinks for the exp bonus and not have to worry too much about ending with just them.

Do the drinks still give you XP bonus on items that don't get the ability chance? 'Cause if so, I'm gonna use some on the splatfest shirt.

What do Haunt / Cold Blooded drinks do though? Aren't those main-only abilities?

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

raditts posted:

Do the drinks still give you XP bonus on items that don't get the ability chance? 'Cause if so, I'm gonna use some on the splatfest shirt.

What do Haunt / Cold Blooded drinks do though? Aren't those main-only abilities?
Haunt is, yes. There's no haunt drink. Cold Blooded is just a regular ability (and also the worst in the game).

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Yes you'll always get bonus gear xp regardless of the flavor

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

raditts posted:

They should and those don't probably actually exist, I didn't think very long about examples for bad drinks. Just drink everything.

I'm glad that it's not in the game like that, because having some rear end in a top hat just death touch you across the map is Splat1 specials level of bullshit. They probably should have just scrapped it, it's design means that it can never really be good.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

raditts posted:

Is Ink Resist worth it in this game? I remember it was almost essential in Splatoon 1 until they nerfed it so far as to almost be negligible.

I was watching a pro discuss Ink Resist, and he stated that for shooter weapons like the Tentatek 3 subs of ink resist are worth it for the damage reduction from standing in enemy ink. Apparently 3 subs do not give you a mobility boost in enemy ink the same way 1 Main would but the damage reduction is very much worth it. Past that he stated more Ink Resist is not worth it in his opinion, and he'd rather run Swim Speed in it's place.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Bill Barber posted:

LDE is pretty OP because it's multiplicative with your other gear ability boosts which allows you to stack certain abilities over the max gear cap, but I'm fine with continuing to spread the misinformation about it being bad for ranked modes so that less people actually use it.

It's pretty strong as a general boost. However, I speak from experience when I say you shouldn't try to use LDE in a build that's specifically trying to hit interesting ink usage thresholds, like being able to throw two splat bombs at once.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wanna make a build that can throw 3 Burst bombs, how many sub Saver ticks or whatever the term would be, do I need to hit that threshold? Like how a main counts for 10 and a sub for 3, etc.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I googled it and it's 7 subs (21 points)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

So a main + 4 subs or two mains and 1 sub. I can manage that.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah, if you're using LDE, it's really more of a perk that's nice to have. You absolutely do not want to rely on it or deliberately trigger it. If you do want to pull that off, just go with an Ink Saver ability instead.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yeah, if you're using LDE, it's really more of a perk that's nice to have. You absolutely do not want to rely on it or deliberately trigger it. If you do want to pull that off, just go with an Ink Saver ability instead.

Does it only trigger in ranked if your opponent's timer/distance drops below 30, or does it also trigger when your team's does?

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
I'm thinking I'm gonna grab the ink savers, since I'm pretty sure LDE is the default on the 18k aviators, so it's not gonna be too hard to switch back if ink saver turns out not to be my jam.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

bizarre deformity posted:

Does it only trigger in ranked if your opponent's timer/distance drops below 30, or does it also trigger when your team's does?

It's only their score. So if you can hold them off after that happens, you'll have a good advantage for the rest of the battle. It's a good effect, but you do have to keep in mind that outside of those conditions, you essentially have no ability slot. It's not something you want to deliberately trigger, and it's something that's just nice to have if you can't think of any other abilities you want more.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Also, people should consider Comeback. It does what Last-Ditch Effort does (more than a main of Ink Saver Main and Sub), and also what Opening Gambit does (more than a main of Run and Swim Speed Up), and also increases your special generation (more than a main of Special Charge Up), for 20 seconds after every death. If you're a particularly conservative player or you have other specific needs, it may not always be the best choice, but I think goons underrate it hugely.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Comeback is on all of my sets since I die a lot, I assume goons don't talk about it since they're splatoon gods who don't die a lot

vvvvvvvvvvv lol

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 30, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I die a lot but there's something philosophically I can't vibe with about an ability that depends on my failure to be helpful

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I have no idea how long the bonuses from comeback work for so I have zero interest in using it. That kind of information should really be provided by the game.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The issue with Comeback is that you're basically placing a lot of faith in getting a lot of meaningful deaths in your matches. Dying in Splatoon 2 is very costly and it's something you really want to avoid unless you can splat several members of the other team or advance the objective significantly in the process. If you're getting a lot of stupid deaths, or just can't get the upper hand in firefights, I don't think it would help that much.

On the other hand, if you're an active player that can accomplish a lot in your matches, it would certainly be worth considering. Obviously not dying at all is more ideal, but it's an unrealistic expectation to have.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 30, 2017

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

The issue with Comeback is that you're basically placing a lot of faith in getting a lot of meaningful deaths in your matches. Dying in Splatoon 2 is very costly and it's something you really want to avoid unless you can splat several members of the other team or advance the objective significantly in the process. If you're getting a lot of stupid deaths, or just can't get the upper hand in firefights, I don't think it would help that much.

On the other hand, if you're an active player that can accomplish a lot in your matches, it would certainly be worth considering. Obviously not dying at all is more ideal, but it's an unrealistic expectation to have.

Right. The value of Comeback isn't in intentionally activating it (it's obviously better to kill the enemy without dying), in the same way that you shouldn't deliberately trigger the conditions for LDE to start working. If you're playing well, then what it does is tilt trades in your favor: you are likely to get back into the fray faster, and you'll retain a reasonably strong combat bonus with your mobility and ink bonuses for 10-15 seconds once you get back. When your team is already ahead and in control of the map, it becomes harder for the other team to dislodge yours. And if your team is sucking, well, you get the bonuses a lot.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zoran posted:

If you're playing well, then what it does is tilt trades in your favor

This is a good way of looking at it and I might trade LDE for it.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004
Doesn't comeback only activate if you died without splatting anyone since your last death or am I thinking of another ability/making up poo poo?

Also, given the nature of Splat Zones where the first team who caps the zone tends to win a vast majority of the time, it seems Opening Gambit might be good for this mode. Can anyone speak on this? I don't even own gear with OG/LDE but recent conversation has been making me think about getting some.

Big Nubbins fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 30, 2017

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
You're thinking of Quick Respawn, Comeback always activates after every death

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
My friend just brought his Callie and Marie amiibo over and when I scanned them they only gave me the head pieces.

I beat the single player and I'm level 18 so do I need to do anything specific to get the rest?

Maybe I need to wait a day.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

hey welcome to the show! posted:

My friend just brought his Callie and Marie amiibo over and when I scanned them they only gave me the head pieces.

I beat the single player and I'm level 18 so do I need to do anything specific to get the rest?

Maybe I need to wait a day.

You need to scan them and then play a certain # of games to unlock the gear and songs.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
OK, thank you! Any idea how many matches it were I can find that number?

I came here to ask because the internet wash weirdly useless when it came to this.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

hey welcome to the show! posted:

OK, thank you! Any idea how many matches it were I can find that number?

I came here to ask because the internet wash weirdly useless when it came to this.

I just scanned it, got the head piece, saved an outfit to it and scanned it again and I got all the stuff.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
OK thanks

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I have climbed all the way to level 50. Fashion show time!

This is my general close-to-medium-range shooter outfit. I go a little heavy on the bomb defense because it's generally useful in ranked; five subs lets you barely survive two direct burst bombs, so going a tiny bit beyond that seems like a good stopping point.

Here's the counterpart to that first set with object shredder; useful if I'm taking something that does less than 30 damage per hit. I'll be replacing the subs on the shoes with ink resistance.

This one's an amusing gimmick build meant to abuse Splashdown after respawning and to look good with the Hero Shot.

If I'm going to take an N-Zap, Splattershot Jr., or Tri-Slosher, I'll tend to swap to my Special Charge Up bandana. I'll try to get it to pure special charge eventually.

The longer-range shooter set. Since I'm usually playing farther back and zoning out the enemies, Tenacity is more useful here. I'll give the shirt either bomb defense or swim speed, I think.

Object Shredder version of the same. OS isn't critical here because almost all the long-range guns break Ink Armor in one hit, but it still has some utility if I feel like using it. Subs on the shoes will become Main Saver.

Burst Bomb spam set; the jacket will get Sub Saver subs, as 19 points of Sub Saver is very nearly enough to throw out 3 burst bombs instantly with a full tank (you have to swim for like ten frames to get the last one out).

Splat/Suction/Curling Bomb spam set. Two mains and five subs of Sub Saver give you double bombs. The hat will get two of those subs and one sub of Bomb Defense, which by itself is just enough to survive two grazes from Inkjet blasts. The shoes will get Ink Resistance.

Alternate version of the same bomb spam set, this time with Run Speed shoes.

And then here are the aggressive and the stealthy brush outfits. The black Ninja Squid sweater will get pure swim speed; on the white one I haven't decided whether I'd prefer maximum speed or better ink management.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
:yawn:

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Gimme a good build to use with the Classic Squiffer. I'm finally getting a feel for it and might make it my main, but want to know good abilities for it beyond the usual useful stuff (run, swim speed up). What's some good stuff to consider?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

God drat man

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just use whatever clothing I haven't levelled up yet

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

I just bought this game yesterday, mostly because the OP made it sound like an absolute riot. Is there a bunch of stuff I should learn before getting into it, or can I just start painting things?

Like, is the effort post a few posts up something I should try to figure out, or will it just come with time?

*Note* I never owned a Wii U and so know nothing about Splatoon 1 or 2. I'm essentially entirely blind

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Jade Mage posted:

I just bought this game yesterday, mostly because the OP made it sound like an absolute riot. Is there a bunch of stuff I should learn before getting into it, or can I just start painting things?

Like, is the effort post a few posts up something I should try to figure out, or will it just come with time?

*Note* I never owned a Wii U and so know nothing about Splatoon 1 or 2. I'm essentially entirely blind
Just play.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It starts with an unskippable tutorial, plus you can play the single player a bit to practice the basics if you're having trouble.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah the game is designed to just roll it out for you the more you play so just check it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Jade Mage posted:

Gyro controls. Live them, learn them, love them. (Los Angeles)