Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
We're all going to be bald and have the complexion of a tomato by the end of Thursday, aren't we

Splatoon 2 please come and save us from the madness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

I submit that you took that baseball, stashed it in your unusually large vagina, and walked right on out of here!
If this game doesn't end up at 92+ on Metacritic then I will drink a gallon of ink.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Ice Cream discussing their win with only a 51% solo win percentage but 75% of the base is some GOP level poo poo.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I mean having more people doesn't make your playerbase inherently better. In fact you should be seeing around a 50 50 split in each splatfest, unless there was something that tended to divide the teams into younger/less skilled players versus older/more skilled players. Perhaps "fidget spinners" vs "getting those dang kids off my lawn"

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

^burtle posted:

Ice Cream discussing their win with only a 51% solo win percentage but 75% of the base is some GOP level poo poo.

You chose the wrong team.

I'm going to play Splatoon 1 today hopefully people are on

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I took tons of pictures of Pearl but my PC corrupted the microsd somehow

EB Games has a whole lot of Splatoon garbage including the Pearl cap from the game cover https://ebgames.com.au/loot-231911-Splatoon-2---Inkling-Trucker-Hat-Loot

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

^burtle posted:

It's not as though the matches are played 6-on-2.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The battle results are always going to be fairly close to 50/50. The overall result is basically the vote plus two coinflips.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

They completely changed Marina's AND Pearl's personality. I am not happy with it honestly.
Pearl in jp is much more awesome, cute, more feminine and peppy in a positive way than the english bratty one we're getting.(probably why we're getting shittons of fanart from the jp side...) And Pearl is awesome for accepting Marina, who is an Octoling which are like sworn enemies of Inklings. Girl is open minded.
Marina is actually polite, shy, and an endearing ditz genius instead of rude. She often forgets stuff and is very scatterbrained and adorable. If anything I'd say she's kinda moe in personality in a sexy DJ appearance. What the hell happened?!
And they totally missed out on the senpai kouhai dynamic the two has in jp version, Pearl actually seems like she was, leading Marina and showing her the ropes.
TLDR; Yes, I am very salty about the personality changes.

Edit: To clarify, I can read japanese and played both jp and US splatfests.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Zelder posted:

They completely changed Marina's AND Pearl's personality. I am not happy with it honestly.
Pearl in jp is much more awesome, cute, more feminine and peppy in a positive way than the english bratty one we're getting.(probably why we're getting shittons of fanart from the jp side...) And Pearl is awesome for accepting Marina, who is an Octoling which are like sworn enemies of Inklings. Girl is open minded.
Marina is actually polite, shy, and an endearing ditz genius instead of rude. She often forgets stuff and is very scatterbrained and adorable. If anything I'd say she's kinda moe in personality in a sexy DJ appearance. What the hell happened?!
And they totally missed out on the senpai kouhai dynamic the two has in jp version, Pearl actually seems like she was, leading Marina and showing her the ropes.

Source your quotes

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I loved all the conspiracy puns, especially

The Bloop posted:

Jetted Ink can't coat eel breams

:allears:

Unlucky7 posted:

Source your quotes

Moe appreciation comes from the heart, baka!

*tranlator's note "baka" means dumbass.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Okay now if there aren't playable octos I'm gonna be upset!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

OH MY GLOB

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Is the Splatoon manga available in english officially anywhere? I didn't even know there was one until this announcement

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Zelder posted:

...like, whatever?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

LPG Giant posted:

Today I learned that squids (inklings) are different from octopi (octolings).

In Splat 1 the squid-kids were the protagonists and did battle with the octopi; among the bad guy octopi there were some which are flat out evil octopuses who are kinda dumb but big, and then there's little octolings which are very analogous to the inklings in that they're bipedal and humanoid and can switch between octo form and octo-human form.

The octopus octopi could not transform to a human-like state, only the octolings.

You battled the octolings and the big octopi both and they were all bad, and we were only inklings.

This may change, as Callie and Marie were both inklings; however Pearl is an inkling but Marina is an octoling!! This is A Big Deal. Marina seems chill af and not a bad person in any way.

deadly_pudding posted:

In Japan, the Octoling soldiers were called Octozons (Takozoness - Tako + Amazoness), because they're all women :eng101:

The weird monster Octarians are, presumably, the males.

This is super cool.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I downloaded the Best Buy phone app just so I could check my spla2n order status every 2 hours, it's at "preparing"

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Lakbay posted:

I downloaded the Best Buy phone app just so I could check my spla2n order status every 2 hours, it's at "preparing"

How does a download "prepare"?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

would insanely watch

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Zelder posted:

she's kinda moe in personality in a sexy DJ appearance.

???

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Nephzinho posted:

How does a download "prepare"?

I got physical because there's no gcu discount for digital

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Zelder posted:

I'm sorry your senpai kouhai dynamic doesn't hold up in English, but I"m not getting any of that bullshit and I've only played the English version? Perl just looks bratty, that's a natural first impression based on her design, which is irrespective of language unless you think they re-modeled and re-animated her?

Everything Perl says seems fine to me. That style just doesn't appeal as much in the West as it does in the East. Stuff like Chibi and Babymetal are bigger over there afaik. Over here most teenagers are trying to act super grown up, not the other way around.

And Marina does seem like an endering ditz in US? What?

"sexy DJ appearance" lmao what the gently caress :goonsay:

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm sorry your senpai kouhai dynamic doesn't hold up in English, but I"m not getting any of that bullshit and I've only played the English version? Perl just looks bratty, that's a natural first impression based on her design, which is irrespective of language unless you think they re-modeled and re-animated her?

Everything Perl says seems fine to me. That style just doesn't appeal as much in the West as it does in the East. Stuff like Chibi and Babymetal are bigger over there afaik. Over here most teenagers are trying to act super grown up, not the other way around.

And Marina does seem like an endering ditz in US? What?

"sexy DJ appearance" lmao what the gently caress :goonsay:

You stupid, stupid man.

drat this redeems that post thank you

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Marina's smile looks nervous at times and if the idea is that she's skilled but not really used to being in the public eye that makes perfect sense and fits her well.

From Pearl's dialogue in the Splatfest she seemed nice and full of a fun energy. I think both characters will be great in the full game.

My biggest complaint with them is that I feel like their catchphrase is a bit of a mouthful. "Stay fresh!" is both easy to remember and say.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Zelder posted:

I think that this is a valid concern, because so far they come off like a rehashed Callie and Marie. I don't think that the senpai dynamic will be easily understandable to an English audience, but I am hoping that the character voices become more unique as they get more dialogue.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
seriously, please source that quote, I want to see the responses to the actual idiot saying it

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

GeneX posted:

seriously, please source that quote, I want to see the responses to the actual idiot saying it

It's Reddit, there were no responses and it actually had a +11 rating lol

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me

grand theft grotto posted:

Marina's smile looks nervous at times and if the idea is that she's skilled but not really used to being in the public eye that makes perfect sense and fits her well.

From Pearl's dialogue in the Splatfest she seemed nice and full of a fun energy. I think both characters will be great in the full game.

My biggest complaint with them is that I feel like their catchphrase is a bit of a mouthful. "Stay fresh!" is both easy to remember and say.

But "stay off the hook!" is great.
It implies that they wish you to stay cool and also not get caught by a fisherman.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

hey welcome to the show! posted:

But "stay off the hook!" is great.
It implies that they wish you to stay cool and also not get caught by a fisherman.

Isn't their band called Off The Hook?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me

Guy Goodbody posted:

Isn't their band called Off The Hook?

Yes.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I do think there's a bit of a valid concern in them just being Callie and Marie 2.0 in the localization, but :laffo: at that quote.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

marina definitely felt a lot meaner spirited in the western version especially since pearl didn't really retort back to a lot of her jabs which made it a bit awkward. hopefully it's just treehouse doing memes again because there wasn't a lot of time to properly translate poo poo.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
The "don't get cooked" line is a bit weird though.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Them being callie and Marie part 2 wouldn't be the worst thing ever because this time they're actually on a system that people will purchase. And I say that as someone who loved his wii u

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Zelder posted:

:henget:

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

There are a lot of powerful segments in that post but the standout winner has to be "If anything I'd say she's kinda moe in personality in a sexy DJ appearance. "

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me

Zelder posted:

There are a lot of powerful segments in that post but the standout winner has to be "If anything I'd say she's kinda moe in personality in a sexy DJ appearance. "

Lol

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I wish