Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
I used to get a bit salty but then I realized most of us playing have losing streaks and as long as everyone is trying their best it's ok :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I only get mad about losing under two circumstances; if I was the only who moved the tower, or if there was somebody on my team with a charger but they got the fewest splats

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Don’t get mad at video games.

Anyway, even turf war gets a lot better at level 4 when you can unlock the paint roller and steamroll fools. I would agree there should be other ways to get to level 10 or the cap should be lower to get into ranked mode.

I’m having fun with turf war still so I’m not too mad about not being in ranked.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stan Taylor posted:

The rounds are so short that even when I'm in a hell game it's not that bad. Plus no chat makes it way more bearable, especially coming off of Dota or even something like overwatch.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

No matter how hard I try to chill, this game can bring out the salt in me like nothing else. I think it's mostly because of how disconnected a lot of the game modes (esp. turf) are from how well you, personally are doing. Very often wins and losses happen seemingly completely regardless of your input, and that can be incredibly demoralising.

Being top of the match in points and still losing game after game is just crushing after a while.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Shinmera posted:

No matter how hard I try to chill, this game can bring out the salt in me like nothing else. I think it's mostly because of how disconnected a lot of the game modes (esp. turf) are from how well you, personally are doing. Very often wins and losses happen seemingly completely regardless of your input, and that can be incredibly demoralising.

Being top of the match in points and still losing game after game is just crushing after a while.

The reason for the disconnect is that in Turf Wars points really don't matter up until the very end. You could be at the very top in points at the end of the round but if you got all those points in the first two minutes of the match and dicked around the last minute then you're still gonna lose.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Ranked modes are also similar, but in that instead of the end of the match, it's the best push made all match. It just won't be obvious which push that was until the match is over, unlike in Turf Wars.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Don’t get mad at video games.

Anyway, even turf war gets a lot better at level 4 when you can unlock the paint roller and steamroll fools. I would agree there should be other ways to get to level 10 or the cap should be lower to get into ranked mode.

I’m having fun with turf war still so I’m not too mad about not being in ranked.

I made a new account and made it to level 10 in a couple of hours, it's not too bad (taking advantage of the bonus XP food truck tickets you can find early on in the single player campaign, although you could get them in Salmon Run too) -- if you're lucky enough to get consistent wins for the freshness bonus those first 10 levels can go really quickly

Owers
Nov 13, 2004

I want to be lean and mean.
I only get mad in ranked mode when someone on our team disconnects/rage quits, and the game decides to punish us for losing as if it's our fault. It's very ambiguous about whether you lose rank or not when a player disconnects, and it's so frustrating.

If you're looking to level up fast, use a walkthrough to find some exp tickets in single player.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Improbable Lobster posted:

:same:, getting stomped in Splatoon is so much more frustrating than just about any other PVP game I play.

I think it's because it's much harder to carry a team than in most other games and you need to actually rely on your teammates to win. Even having one person drop out of the match often leads to you being utterly dominated by the other team, so it's extra frustrating when your idiot teammates are off in a corner of the map inking ground that's already your color instead of pulling their weight.

Owers posted:

I only get mad in ranked mode when someone on our team disconnects/rage quits, and the game decides to punish us for losing as if it's our fault. It's very ambiguous about whether you lose rank or not when a player disconnects, and it's so frustrating.

It's not ambiguous at all, it will have a message saying the rank meter will not change if it's not punishing you for someone dropping.
What actually determines whether that message appears is a different question, I had a match where a teammate dropped out as soon as the match started and we got flattened inside of a minute, and it still punished me for that.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

That's why Salmon Run is so good

Losing in Salmon Run because of a poo poo team is the most frustrating of all. I don't understand how even at 300+ profreshional rank, motherfuckers still don't know how to do griller / glowfly / gusher rounds.
I figure if I block enough people who somehow manage to die in the first 30 seconds of round 1, I'll eventually only be matched up with good players, though.

raditts fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 19, 2018

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Only one person quit? Luxury! Here's one I was in where after about a minute we ended up having 3 people on our spawn while their fourth was cleaning up basically every corner

Seriously, something needs to be done about 0p 0 splat people

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

why is a level 122 guy getting put in matches with a level 9 person.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Because there's probably literally not enough people at his rank to play with. That's the entire reason for the "prestige" system that every online shooter has.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Im also impressed that that guy has played splatoon for probably 500+ hours and he cant even get an assist in a turf war match

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
I've put in the same amount of hours and sometimes there's just matches where I'm not really feelin it

edit: although in that guy's case he's put in way more than 500 hours. I'm at 600+ and at level 89

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Do you get any item from prestiging?

I’m not even level 30 and I feel like I’ve put a ton of hours into this game. I’m afraid to look.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You continue to receive one shell per level

mem
Sep 1, 2005
I'm in bush league at level 22 or so, and had a turf war match we lost by 1% down two people. I was trying out a Gatling gun and just tried to support this other guy that was a stone cold killer. He splatted their entire team a few times. Having a lot of fun with this game, can't believe I passed it over. I don't get too upset over losses, I just imagine my teammates are little kids if they're terrible. I think the absence of voice chat helps.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
maybe you're all getting angry at the game because you're subconsciously noticing the bad netcode :ssh:

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

How the hell do you get to level 122 and not kill a single person all match

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Dad Jokes posted:

They were playing turf wars with two disconnected players on the other side, you don't need to do splatting at that point to win the match, especially when someone is doing it for you.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Edit: Looks like they're doing it to get all the alts out by the 1 year mark.

Neo Splash-o-matic when

I love the Splash but the default loadout is pretty dire.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

raditts posted:

Even having one person drop out of the match often leads to you being utterly dominated by the other team, so it's extra frustrating when your idiot teammates are off in a corner of the map inking ground that's already your color instead of pulling their weight.

It really does matter. I had a teammate who was apparently afk for two rounds last night, who just sat in the spawn and didn’t move and we got absolutely steamrolled.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Rexroom posted:

They were playing turf wars with two disconnected players on the other side, you don't need to do splatting at that point to win the match, especially when someone is doing it for you.

Yeah, the other 3 people on their team were probably trying to spawn camp and he was standing in the middle of the map making sure noone managed to actually escape and do anything.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/975656637129281536

the octolings have Octodad mustaches.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ugh, this game. Adding mundane middle-aged human characters because people can't deal with being squidkids or whatever :rolleyes:.

Now it'll just be a colorful CoD/Battlefield knockoff and :goonsay:.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Odd Mutant posted:

maybe you're all getting angry at the game because you're subconsciously noticing the bad netcode :ssh:

lmao "subconsciously"

https://twitter.com/raditts/status/975725007518121984

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Clam blitz on goby arena is bad

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

What are you trying to show there? They were bomb rushing, got one out at their feet right before you got them, then it exploded before your ink armor was fully up.

Dad Jokes posted:

He was using the Aerpspray MG, a weapon that's known for being atrocious at splatting and great for painting.

In Training posted:

Im also impressed that that guy has played splatoon for probably 500+ hours and he cant even get an assist in a turf war match

Similarly, some weapons are really bad at getting assists, such as, again, the Aerpspray, most rollers, and most chargers.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The bomb that kills doesnt appear until like a full second after theyre dead on his screen.

Trinexx
Aug 31, 2007

Ask me about time-shares at scenic Turtle Rock!
It's even better than that.

Player got screwed by the splat symbol blocking view of the last suction bomb. You can actually see it there in the video just as he runs up before they turn around. Maybe it's a little laggy when there dead player throws it out but it was definitely there before the person in the video ran to that spot.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

You can even clearly hear the sound that's made when a bomb is thrown before the charger is killed. Suction bombs have a delayed timer compared to other bombs, and knowing that the charger was bomb rushing, their first instinct, once the charger was dead, should have been to get out of there, since it was more than likely that the guy managed to stick a bomb at his feet before he died. That death was entirely the fault of not paying enough attention to your surroundings. Granted, the animation for the bomb coming out happens a split second after they kill the charger, but the sound most definitely plays before the charger is dead. I can buy that the splat icon blocked their view of the bomb once it was out, but the sound should've been enough of a tip off to move. Also, I'm pretty sure that once you press the button to throw a bomb, the bomb is thrown, even if you die before the animation fully completes, kind of like what happened in the video.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Yeah it was unfortunate, but if the player hadn't moved their camera immediately after splatting they would have seen the bomb. Of course, usually it's a good idea to move your camera after a splat to make sure there aren't any other threats around, so the solution to this problem is git bad

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Trinexx posted:

It's even better than that.

Player got screwed by the splat symbol blocking view of the last suction bomb. You can actually see it there in the video just as he runs up before they turn around. Maybe it's a little laggy when there dead player throws it out but it was definitely there before the person in the video ran to that spot.

This is probably one of the designs Nintendo should've fixed from S1. While it does signal directly to the player that you managed to splat someone, it can sometimes surprise you in a bad way.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I wish more close-range weapons combined Splat Bombs with Splashdown. I like the normal grenades way too much for their versatility and Splashdown is a decent oh poo poo button for a knife fighter.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Nephzinho posted:

Yeah, the other 3 people on their team were probably trying to spawn camp and he was standing in the middle of the map making sure noone managed to actually escape and do anything.

I always do this in a 4vs3 because it is inevitable my team will over extend and someone has to put the other team back in their corner.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Man, gently caress sloshers.

Is there a deco version of the .96 Gal yet, and if so when do I get it?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Bleck posted:

It’s been out for awhile. Check the shop.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Bleck posted:

It has splash wall and stingray I think. I like regular .96 Gal's loadout better, honestly.

Sloshers are nowhere near as big of a problem for me as dualie users. All their goddamn rolling tends to make my bullets seem to pass right through them, and that's when it's not showing up on my end as exploding from one bullet from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Splatoon pro controller's getting fixed, trying to go back to joycons is impossible. I guess I'm gonna hafta get a boring black pro controller to play this with any competence, dammit.