Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Whoa loving well done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
The Octo Expansion is awesome, I feel like the freshest octoling, and I don't like chewing my OJ.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I wish you could at least reroll the main abilities of the DLC clothes. Is last ditch alright in turf war?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Dugong posted:

For anyone struggling with the defend the orb level, just use the roller. Stand by the spawn points and flick the enemies as soon as they drop.

Holy poo poo, this, and towards the middle when they wanna drop specials rolling over 'em works scary well too.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

I'm pretty sure the Secret final boss is legible to be a Kingdom hearts Bonus boss.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Pixeltendo posted:

I'm pretty sure the Secret final boss is legible to be a Kingdom hearts Bonus boss.

Needs about 5 more healthbars.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just picked up this game a couple days ago and while I am having a blast, can someone sell me on the Grizzco Slosher? I keep getting this thing in Salmon Run and I am just miserable with it.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

inkblot posted:

I just picked up this game a couple days ago and while I am having a blast, can someone sell me on the Grizzco Slosher? I keep getting this thing in Salmon Run and I am just miserable with it.

You know all the boss salmonids with armor that you can only defeat in very specific ways? You don't have to with the Grizzco slosher.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I just beat the Octo Expansion. The final boss was both super fun and super cool.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Hi there. Just picked up the game on sale and it's a lot of fun. Important question: does the footstep sound in the plaza sound familiar to anybody else? I know I've heard it somewhere else but I'm having trouble placing it. From what I can tell it sounds like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezRzdJ734U0&t=30s

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
Goddamn, fighting Bonus Boss!Agent 3 is SUCH a blast, I don't even care that they're kicking my rear end so much.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

inkblot posted:

The grizzco weapons are unique to salmon run. Their gimmick is that they're illegally modified and very unbalanced.

The Grizzco Slosher is a super heavy sloshing machine with a very high wind up and ink consumption rate. You get 4 shots on a full tank. The shot has no arc and pierces, so its a line of high damage that can get though armor. In practice, you become a back line artillery capable of clearing out long lines of foes and greatly damaging bosses. The downside is you have very little defensive capability. The lowly Smallfry can be a substantial threat if no one helps.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Aha, fair enough. Time to go hunting steelhead and flyfish then. I'll give it a shot!

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I think gyro aiming just clicked for me. I didn't put a ton of time into the first Splatoon, so I don't think I really gave it a fair shot. With this one I turned the gyro aim sensitivity up right out the gate and next thing you know I'm running around being super aggressive and splatting suckers left and right. Guess I'll be getting my money's worth out of this after all.

It feels like there's a ton to do here and I could probably just play tons of turf war and be happy with it. Is there any reason I should be in a hurry to do the solo campaign or Salmon Run, aside from them probably being fun?

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Solo and Salmon Run are actually great opportunities to practice gyro aiming and using different weapons you may not be comfortable with outside of the pressure of a competitive match.

When I was first starting out, Salmon Run was invaluable for teaching me stuff like how to navigate in enemy ink, which carries over into multiplayer.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

Solo Campaign as well as Salmon Run get you tickets that help you level up faster. If that's not your thing, the Solo Campaign is a good starting point and Salmon Run is just a fun Co-Op mode. Usually.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

plz dont pull out posted:

Hi there. Just picked up the game on sale and it's a lot of fun. Important question: does the footstep sound in the plaza sound familiar to anybody else? I know I've heard it somewhere else but I'm having trouble placing it. From what I can tell it sounds like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezRzdJ734U0&t=30s

It would just be a stock sound effect that you've probably heard a million times before. I would be very surprised if anyone has created specific footfall sfx recently.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

salmon run lore > octoling lore

like who even is mr grizz

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Salmon Expansion 2019 please

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Someone who's probably not even talking to you directly, but using prerecorded voices to make it seem like he is.

So if you're ever wondering why he doesn't react to an Octoling doing the job in place of the Inkling who previously built up a rank and bonuses, there's your answer.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

playable flyfish when, nintendo

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

Finally pulled it off: I defeated the squidkid within me Goddamn that was fun, even if it took me drat near all afternoon.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Mr. Grizz is a Soviet era grizzly bear who was in a cryogenic experiment that was forgotten about and woke up after the world ended and has inklings running around harvesting him basically caviar. It’s why the shop is full of like tape reels and why the gear he gives out is all old junk

Also it’s been a year and I’m in Profreshinal rank and I still have people opening 90% of gusher spouts in SalmonRun then when they stumble on to a Goldie mash the This Way command while the rest of their team is covered in chum

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 18, 2018

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

alf_pogs posted:

salmon run lore > octoling lore

What if they're interwoven though. There's a whole series of mem cakes about salmons. I have not unlocked them all. I can't tell if the message of the octo expansion is 'war is bad'.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

In Training posted:

Salmon Expansion 2019 please

Seriously this, a salmon run campaign would own so loving hard

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Also it’s been a year and I’m in Profreshinal rank and I still have people opening 90% of gusher spouts in SalmonRun then when they stumble on to a Goldie mash the This Way command while the rest of their team is covered in chum

This and also running to opposite ends of the map on glowflies rounds and also not getting into the cannon on cannon rounds

raditts fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jun 18, 2018

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
During a Goldie round I pretty much just mash this way constantly in hopes that everyone else stops randomly opening geysers to focus on me because we really only need one dude opening geysers

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

raditts posted:

Seriously this, a salmon run campaign would own so loving hard

I heavily suspect that the Salmonids are going to be the focus of the next expac. There's a ton of hooks for them to be explored and Grizzco feels at this point like it's been left vague deliberately.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
I can dress like the two kinds of people at the marina:

Geezers and millennials.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
I seriously hope they do something with lobby posts. It's stupid that you make a drawing and basically just submit it into the ether

Even on the other end if you Fresh a cool post you don't get an indication of how many Fresh's it got nor does the author you just know that you maybe made it .02% more likely to show up in someone's plaza

g0lbez fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 18, 2018

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Listening to the soundtrack for the DLC gave me Portal 2 vibes in an extremely good way. I love this ding dang game.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

https://twitter.com/PunchTheBrain/status/1008574226050084864

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
https://twitter.com/sebmal/status/1008578516105904128

hut hut hut hut hut

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Has anyone started posting the music? No spoilers, it's just music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p51LixvxpCY

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

raditts posted:

For phase 2 I just stand in one spot until he starts bubble blowing then I circle around and get him since he can't shoot until he blows all three bubbles, then stick and move for the rest.

Phase 3, the best strategy seems to be just to rush him when he's throwing out auto bombs then fall back and trigger the bombs as safely as possible.

Yeah, I hope we get a 100% speedrun of this next agdq.

Phase 2, rushing works a lot but if she dodges into her bubbles then you need to wait for her to get her special again which is annoying since you have to worry about mines setting off the other bubbles.

Phase 3 rushing is iffy, since she can still shoot you when she has bomb rush out.

phase 4 supposedly you're meant to throw bombs at her which is impossible to do while avoiding missles, a bomb, and her shooting everywhere. I just get real close and shoot and hope I can tick her hands when she's shooting.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Honestly, the biggest trick to that fight is turfing like crazy to maintain map control so that dodge rolls put them into your ink, since they have a cooldown on dodges. You can kind of trick the AI into rolling one way by turfing to the side you want them to roll away from right before you shoot em. In phase 1 especially, my strat is to turf and dodge until they inkjet, then turf all around their landing spot so they can't dodge away.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
you can toss a bomb just as the platform stops moving, then have enough time to regain ink and toss another bomb while the boss is firing tenta missiles. phase 4 goes by very quickly if you're prepared as soon as the phase transition happens.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Could we take a moment to appreciate Marina's mspaint skills?

Looked more like Corel Painter to me, personally.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The mem cakes about Octarians are pretty loving grim.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Almost every time we got the Grizzco Slosher in my salmon run matches yesterday, we won because the person at least knew you could kill Flyfish with it. Only one time we got totally overwhelmed because it was high tide.

You can also kill Grillers really easily with it, which owns. I only wish it didn't take like 20% of your ink tank per shot.

Also I started the Octo Expansion and it owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

gotta say, grizzco slosher is my favorite illegally modified salmon run weapon, tearing through every single boss without a care is super satisfying. i normally play just to 1200p these days (memento moray) but i just kept playing cause i couldnt resist the chance of having one of those in a griller round

coulda made 999 if this was the sat/sun run, but oh well maybe some other day