Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I feel like Guac is toast though.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bles you and bles this post. (I'm Luca)

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
It's usually pretty close in the win% so I think it could still be anyone's game.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

I am not surprised by this turn of events at all.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Dr. Fetus posted:

:hellyeah:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
:siren: Splatfest schedules :siren:

• EU Eat It vs. Save It @ November 24th 15:00 CET
All listed Splatfests last for 24 hours.

Gonna have my cake and eat it.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dr. Fetus posted:

I am slightly. Rude. Oh well, it's what. 3 shells difference? We still fought good for the superior dip.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dr. Fetus posted:

When was the last time we had a 3-0 blowout?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

When was the last time we had a 3-0 blowout?

I was wondering the same thing and it was two months ago, the majority of new splatfests are 3-0 so far

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Dr. Fetus posted:

all is right in the world

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Dr. Fetus posted:

I blame Jeb!

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Did we battle?

You won a 10x game

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

LethalGeek posted:

You won a 10x game

It's a useful question, we did have one goon-on-goon game (Tenlade on the red team):

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I won both my 10x games :)

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I was starting to gather you all found each other.

Oh a whim I pinged yahoo Japan to see how bad those matches suck for me and got less than 125ms. Thinking on it those matches don't feel terrible to me these days so I'll have to believe it even if it takes one of my good excuses away.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

LethalGeek posted:

I was starting to gather you all found each other.

I did run into someone on here! It didn't turn out well for me. Smiles....
:negative:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lazlo Nibble posted:

Nice. What team name did you get?

Oh you never got an answer.

We were the Devilish, Bloblobbin, Takorka-Rockin, Squid something-or-other

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Finally got the expansion and holy poo poo some of these new campaign stages are loving awful.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Splatoon please let me love you.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mak0rz posted:

Finally got the expansion and holy poo poo some of these new campaign stages are loving awful.

Which ones do you dislike? I thought most of them were great and better than the campaign levels in the base game.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

SeANMcBAY posted:

Which ones do you dislike? I thought most of them were great and better than the campaign levels in the base game.

That one where you have to dodge bouncing ink balls without taking damage once is loving bullshit. The rest my issues are more minor gripes, like getting stuck on a column while trying to climb to get a last balloon target and missing it.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't really like most of the base campaign.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Don't the ink balls always come out in the same pattern? Those were hardly the most difficult Octo stages imo.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Here's something that might make the expansion less aggravating. The difficulty of the stages isn't that well telegraphed. Stages with a higher payment cost and stages on a later line in the alphabet are the more difficult ones.

Mak0rz posted:

That one where you have to dodge bouncing ink balls without taking damage once is loving bullshit. The rest my issues are more minor gripes, like getting stuck on a column while trying to climb to get a last balloon target and missing it.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't really like most of the base campaign.

Aside from this stage, which is placed really early for some reason.

raditts posted:

Don't the ink balls always come out in the same pattern? Those were hardly the most difficult Octo stages imo.

Not quite, they aim at you. Though going into squid form will shrink your hitbox and can make that particular stage a lot easier to go through. And can even cause the balls to bounce right over you.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Nov 19, 2018

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

That one where you have to pop all the crates with a single charger shot looked fun at first but then I realized it required the balloons to be in pixel perfect locations :jerkbag:. Finally got it after the like third respawn though.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Here's something that might make the expansion less aggravating. The difficulty of the stages isn't that well telegraphed. Stages with a higher payment cost and stages on a later line in the alphabet are the more difficult ones.

Aside from this stage, which is placed really early for some reason.

Not quite, they aim at you. Though going into squid form will shrink your hitbox and can make that particular stage a lot easier to go through. And can even cause the balls to bounce right over you.

This is helpful, thank you!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

That one where you have to pop all the crates with a single charger shot looked fun at first but then I realized it required the balloons to be in pixel perfect locations :jerkbag:. Finally got it after the like third respawn though.

This is helpful, thank you!

You just need to shoot the bottom balloon a bit before it reaches the middle. With that in mind, that's actually the fastest stage for farming credits in case you run out. (Though it only matters if you wish to tackle certain bonus content. Running out of credits doesn't matter outside of that.)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The only bad octo expansion level is the one where you have to sink the 8-balls into holes to make a bingo with the cannon.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

The only bad octo expansion level is the one where you have to sink the 8-balls into holes to make a bingo with the cannon.

You can shoot the balls back out of the holes. That level gets a whole lot easier once you realize that's an option.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah, until they randomly get bounced entirely off the level and make you lose when you shoot them out, 3 times in a row

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Is there any way to practice Salmon Run without ruining a bunch of peoples days? I feel like I got carried to Profreshional and am not pulling my weight consistently, particularly when I get the charger. I thought I saw an option to reset my rank, is that only available when you are maxed?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

NofrikinfuN posted:

Is there any way to practice Salmon Run without ruining a bunch of peoples days? I feel like I got carried to Profreshional and am not pulling my weight consistently, particularly when I get the charger. I thought I saw an option to reset my rank, is that only available when you are maxed?

I'm pretty consistently around profresh 100 and I've never really felt like I got carried. Salmon Run seems pretty well set up to always push the entire team pretty hard, and doesn't leave a lot of room for the errors everyone makes. Profresh is also kind of a departure from earlier levels, in that managing bosses and where you splat them becomes extremely important.

No real way to practice it, just play it, and get in discord and play with goons if you can.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I'm pretty consistently around profresh 100 and I've never really felt like I got carried. Salmon Run seems pretty well set up to always push the entire team pretty hard, and doesn't leave a lot of room for the errors everyone makes. Profresh is also kind of a departure from earlier levels, in that managing bosses and where you splat them becomes extremely important.

No real way to practice it, just play it, and get in discord and play with goons if you can.

I'm finding it extremely difficult to balance killing bosses with collecting eggs. I'm almost always behind in collections, even if I'm putting down the most bosses. Is there room for someone doing all the dirty work, or do I need to learn when to stop fighting and start collecting?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Just play.

It’s all practice and really as someone who is always around 100 profresh I just completely expect to tank with pubbies so I wouldn’t worry about ruining a match.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

NofrikinfuN posted:

I'm finding it extremely difficult to balance killing bosses with collecting eggs. I'm almost always behind in collections, even if I'm putting down the most bosses. Is there room for someone doing all the dirty work, or do I need to learn when to stop fighting and start collecting?

Don't worry too much about end statistics. (This goes for regular multiplayer as well.) If you won the game, you won the game, and that's all the game cares about.

Typically you should just let the bosses come in as close to the basket as possible, and only kill them when you have to. Such as if they'll end up killing a teammate if you don't, and it's super important that everyone stays alive if possible. (Unlike in regular multiplayer, there really isn't a justifiable reason for deaths in Salmon Run, where certain teammates dying at the right times can actually give your team the advantage.) Or if you don't have a choice, such as Stingers, who never move from the edges of the map and really should not be left alone if possible. Letting the bosses come in close to the basket and killing them there means it's a lot easier for your team to collect eggs.

Resetting your rank just sets you back to Profreshional 40 if you're above it. Rank is tied to the difficulty of the shift, so if you're getting a ton of hard shifts, you can reset your rank to make them easier.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

NofrikinfuN posted:

It’s all dirty work, that’s why Mr. Grizz pays the big1 bucks. Putting bosses down is something to think carefully about, and it’s most of what this pretty good guide focuses on: https://www.reddit.com/r/splatoon/comments/8v1m3q/salmon_run_tips_and_cardinal_sins/

1: medium

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for all the advice.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

It’s all dirty work, that’s why Mr. Grizz pays the big1 bucks. Putting bosses down is something to think carefully about, and it’s most of what this pretty good guide focuses on: https://www.reddit.com/r/splatoon/comments/8v1m3q/salmon_run_tips_and_cardinal_sins/

1: medium

This is especially interesting, since it points out what I should have realized on my own wrt not killing enemies at the outskirts. Crippling flyfish instead of killing them is news to me, though. I will definitely try some of these tips.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
“Don’t help the Stingray drive off the Mothership” is definitely counterintuitive, and I’m not really clear on the rationale tbh. Do you only get the flow of eggs because the Stingray is one long continuous attack?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lazlo Nibble posted:

“Don’t help the Stingray drive off the Mothership” is definitely counterintuitive, and I’m not really clear on the rationale tbh. Do you only get the flow of eggs because the Stingray is one long continuous attack?

The cooler-carrying cohocks spawn out the top of the mothership, and the stingray passes through all targets, so if you stand under the basket and fire vertically right when the mothership latches on you can spawn like 10+ golden eggs right at your feet innexchange for letting it steal one or two from your bank.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Pretty much, it's a big net profit, and lets you stuff in eggs easier than just Sting Raying the Mothership when it's arriving. The Mothership will be driven off or just take a heavy amount of damage in that case, but now the eggs will be scattered across the map instead of right at the basket, and you'll have to spend time fetching them (or just letting the Snatchers take them.) At higher difficulties, you will have to help attack the Mothership because the Sting Ray won't be able to solo it since the Mothership's HP scales, but wait for the Sting Ray to be done or close to done to start doing that.

That said, don't count on everyone to know this strategy, because like you said, it's pretty counterintuitive. If you don't see a Sting Ray come out at all, just go and drive off the Mothership.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Whoops. Bad post.