Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Pianist On Strike posted:

This is going to be my first Splatfest, pretty stoked for that. Anything I need to do to prepare? I have the shirt, I know about scrubbing it. It'll basically be turf war on a completely new stage, right? I don't have any irl friends who play other than my 9 year old nephew lol, I'll still be able to do matches with randoms, right?

Pick a team and queue up! The map selection will be 2 existing ones plus Shifty Station, which is different every Splatfest. You absolutely can queue with randoms. There's not much to do in the way of prep, but make sure you don't forget to collect your snails once the event is over, as you'll need those to add slots to gear or reroll gear abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
:siren: Splatfest Schedules :siren:

• JP Knight vs. Wizard @ March 16th 15:00 JT
  • US Knight vs. Wizard @ March 16th 21:00 PT
  • EU Knight vs. Wizard @ March 16th 13:00 CET
Splatfests last for 24 hours unless otherwise stated.

BONFIRE LIT

Squid Research Lab posted:

This Splatfest also has a fun feature – if you match your headgear and shoes with the ones from the Enchanted or Steel series, available through the Octoling Girl or Octoling Boy amiibo figures, the look of your Splatfest Tee will change to the clothes from each series during battles.

Please note the main gear ability of the clothes remains the same as the Splatfest Tee and is Ability Doubler.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I feel like I say this every other splat fest, but goons jumping in on this event or even goons that have just picked up the game recently, do feel free to jump on the Nintengoons discord and join us.

We are always welcome for more people for splat fest teams, or otherwise overly common turf and chill sessions and salmon run shifts.

Like, don't feel shy or anything. Splatoon channel is especially warm and inviting to hang out in.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'm still kinda nervous to try Ranked Battles just because I'm not a super competitive person when it comes to "sportsy"/fast paced stuff, and I wish there was some kind of tutorial mode for Ranked just so I could see the game layouts.

Definitely join the Discord. There's several us in the EU and you got plenty of folk in the Americas available at most hours.

You should try ranked. I was pretty intimidated for a long time, but there's no risk to doing poorly. If you're good enough you can pretty much carry a team through at least high B low A ranks, and by that point you'll find other somewhat competent individuals. The C-Rank is a bit of a poo poo show but just stick to what you do best and have fun. Knowing a map is only really important in Clam Blitz and Rainmaker I think, and even if you lose a few times it's the time needed to learn a map. The game is pretty easy-going with losses so just go for it. Seriously if you lose you lose and maybe drop rank, but it's for the best so that you're not getting splatted constantly. The game modes are really fun and Splat Zones is just a more concentrated Turf War. Tower Control is fun but I feel it's weapon dependent, as a Tri-slosher I shouldn't remain on the tower, though I'm still getting stuck in teams that won't do that bit either. The other two are really unique takes on the game that make the most of the movement in the game. Try them out!

cats
May 11, 2009

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Definitely join the Discord. There's several us in the EU and you got plenty of folk in the Americas available at most hours.

You should try ranked. I was pretty intimidated for a long time, but there's no risk to doing poorly. If you're good enough you can pretty much carry a team through at least high B low A ranks, and by that point you'll find other somewhat competent individuals. The C-Rank is a bit of a poo poo show but just stick to what you do best and have fun. Knowing a map is only really important in Clam Blitz and Rainmaker I think, and even if you lose a few times it's the time needed to learn a map. The game is pretty easy-going with losses so just go for it. Seriously if you lose you lose and maybe drop rank, but it's for the best so that you're not getting splatted constantly. The game modes are really fun and Splat Zones is just a more concentrated Turf War. Tower Control is fun but I feel it's weapon dependent, as a Tri-slosher I shouldn't remain on the tower, though I'm still getting stuck in teams that won't do that bit either. The other two are really unique takes on the game that make the most of the movement in the game. Try them out!

Word, the only way to learn is to try it! I'll give it a go after the Splatfest.

I also started actually going through the single player campaign, and it's super helpful as a "tutorial" and for getting to try different weapons. Currently I main roller in Turf War due to the aforementioned "suck at shooters" and general aim problems (typical, right?) but being forced to use other types of weapons in a relatively chill setting is actually kinda nice.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Squid jumping with Splashdown and Stealth Jump makes me feel like a kamikaze killing machine, nevermind that I still manage to get splatted half the time, but it's so much fun! My mind was also blown when I realized I could Splashdown at the end of a rail.

Hi thread. I got Splatoon 2 last summer, played for a very short while but couldn't really get into it. Picked it up again a couple weeks ago and now I can't put it down. I went from some level <10 to level 24 in 3 weeks, mostly through turf war. I'm still kinda nervous to try Ranked Battles just because I'm not a super competitive person when it comes to "sportsy"/fast paced stuff, and I wish there was some kind of tutorial mode for Ranked just so I could see the game layouts. I also finally started playing Salmon Run, after a very frustrating start I read up on some strategy and started having more fun and being a bit more successful. I still get overwhelmed somewhat often - like I said, I'm not great at fast-paced stuff plus I suuuuuuck at all other shooter games - but gradual improvement is still fun!

Welp that's my story! Kind of sad that it took me so long to get back into it, I'm sure there will be an active player base for a while but it does feel like it's ticking down to some kind of end, and that's kind of sad. I don't need to be having an existential crisis, I just want to splat things!

This is going to be my first Splatfest, pretty stoked for that. Anything I need to do to prepare? I have the shirt, I know about scrubbing it. It'll basically be turf war on a completely new stage, right? I don't have any irl friends who play other than my 9 year old nephew lol, I'll still be able to do matches with randoms, right?

They don't really highlight it but you can hit uhhh Minus I think, on the Ranked button and it lets you load into the maps for that rotation by yourself and figure out the rules and layout on your own.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Word, the only way to learn is to try it! I'll give it a go after the Splatfest.

I also started actually going through the single player campaign, and it's super helpful as a "tutorial" and for getting to try different weapons. Currently I main roller in Turf War due to the aforementioned "suck at shooters" and general aim problems (typical, right?) but being forced to use other types of weapons in a relatively chill setting is actually kinda nice.

If you like the campaign consider the expansion. It's terrific and really ups the single player game. Also if you don't like aiming (like me) consider the bucket variants. The tri has the most obvious spread but all the buckets lay some heavy paint down. Bubblers are bad enough, a bubbler who can aim is a terror.

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug
Today, of all days, my Octoling amiibos relented and gave me the footware to complete the costume set, right when the Splatfest that gives a quirky cosmetic bonus for them is about to start. My splatting is less frequent due to burnout/life/SSBU etc. but I'm still getting pumped for squiddies talking smack.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Is the splatfest shirt just for farming chunks?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Is the splatfest shirt just for farming chunks?

It is mainly used to show what side you're on, but yes. You get chunks for overleveling it. You don't get to keep the shirt after the Splatfest is over.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I'm pretty happy with the splattering of abilities I got so I haven't had the patience to go for chunks.

It seems like one doesn't need a ton of stuff to make a weapon feel good. And abilities are usually nice bonuses. Which I appreciate

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004
The worst thing I ever did in Splatoon was waiting over a year to join the Discord. Ranked is okay for variety, but goons always be turfing and I enjoy it a lot more anyway.

I was beat after playing late with you folks, but cashed in a sick day and am well-rested for Splatfest tonight. Team knight get ready for Bigby’s pimp slap.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

be sure to jump into salmon run too, thats the stand out game mode for me

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Smiles posted:

be sure to jump into salmon run too, thats the stand out game mode for me

I'd happily buy a Salmon Run spinoff

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Any Knight goons definitely need to jump into discord. Preliminary head count is not looking great for Knights, and I would at least like to make a team.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Crawfish posted:

Any Knight goons definitely need to jump into discord. Preliminary head count is not looking great for Knights, and I would at least like to make a team.

I can't play long tonight but I'd be down to squad up. I'll get in there.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Fair bit of warning for those that haven't chosen a side, goon discord has two full Wizard groups, and one sole Knight team member.

Use that info as you will.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Crawfish posted:

Fair bit of warning for those that haven't chosen a side, goon discord has two full Wizard groups, and one sole Knight team member.

Use that info as you will.

That said, having just one friend on the same team doesn't stop you from playing team Splatfest anymore, the game will fill out the rest for you.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah, literally everyone else went Wizard, so i've had to drag myself through this in pub groups and it has been the most painful goddamn experience.

Got a good 45 minutes of decent teams and minimal lag bullshit, and since then i've had nothing but the worst drat teams and horrific lag. I can potentially carry, say, a sniper that does nothing the entire match but slowly paint spawn itself, or I can deal with being one shotted by everything and killed by people visually firing 90 degrees away from me, but I can't do both at the same time.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

in Turf War painting is more important that splatting other players. So the Jr does really well. Dualies is good at both. the dedicated backline weapons usually suffer the most

Kills have always been very important, even in turf wars. After all, a dead player can't paint. This is even more true in 2 where the matches are a lot more aggressive than they were in 1. Granted tunnel visioning towards getting kills, and doing nothing else isn't necessarily the best idea. And you still want weapons that can paint, since painting leads to map control, which is a very important concept to make use of in this game. A team of weapons that can kill, but not paint basically has no fallback plan for when things go wrong. This holds true even in ranked.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Crawfish posted:

Yeah, literally everyone else went Wizard, so i've had to drag myself through this in pub groups and it has been the most painful goddamn experience.

Got a good 45 minutes of decent teams and minimal lag bullshit, and since then i've had nothing but the worst drat teams and horrific lag. I can potentially carry, say, a sniper that does nothing the entire match but slowly paint spawn itself, or I can deal with being one shotted by everything and killed by people visually firing 90 degrees away from me, but I can't do both at the same time.

I went knight and the EU time slot comes up in a little under three hours. I plan to be around most of the day so count me in.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Thanks for the offer, but unfortunately due to timezones, I have to go to sleep soon and then work pretty much immediately after I get up and then the Splatfest finishes like halfway through my shift.

I hope things are better when your slot comes up though.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I picked knight but wasn't in the headspace to do the authorization thing on the discord I'll try again after work

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

First five matches were wizard, it's nuts.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
This shifty is garbage

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

My first ever Shifty was the last Halloween one so my expectations for the map's quality was real high from the beginning.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Matchmaking just paired me up with two other sploosh-o-matics and a bloblobber against an actual balanced team, jesus christ

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Escobarbarian posted:

Matchmaking just paired me up with two other sploosh-o-matics and a bloblobber against an actual balanced team, jesus christ

what's the problem

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Custom Dualie Squelchers remain my least favorite weapon to play against. They seem so broken. Huge distance, splat bombs, and Ink Storm? I don't want to fall into a can't beat them join them, since I've never mastered the dodge roll or aiming, but man I'm certain these are things that have killed me the most in-game.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
So splatfest is when all the good players stop playing ranked? My wife and I just played for 45 minutes and just got absolutely poo poo on the whole time. Didn't win a single game and she lost one 85-15. Not really any fun.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

prom candy posted:

So splatfest is when all the good players stop playing ranked? My wife and I just played for 45 minutes and just got absolutely poo poo on the whole time. Didn't win a single game and she lost one 85-15. Not really any fun.

Unfortunately, yes. This is because Splatfests lock players out of playing ranked for the entire duration, so there's nowhere else for them to go. (Aside from Salmon Run.)

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Ah well, we'll pick it up again tomorrow.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Yeah, Splatfest is different from your usual casual Turf Wars, since here you're fighting for something, hopefully for a good cause. At that point it's not "just a game" anymore, but a little more than that.

That said, Splatoon's matchmaking should group you with literal children to even things up, but they're not nocturnal.

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008
Yeah it is possible to just had bad losing streaks. Especially since even more casual turf war players are going to be trying harder and picking better weapons. I find that it's much harder to win Turf Wars without good turfing weapons during Splatfest.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Is it too late to sign up for a splatfest after it's started? Forgot it was this week.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Acute Grill posted:

Is it too late to sign up for a splatfest after it's started? Forgot it was this week.

It's never too late to :getin:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Just reported some chode chud that named himself pewdiepie

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

The Bloop posted:

I've reported at least one sub2pewds name.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

The Bloop posted:

yuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

He also picked Knight, the inferior team

(The white team)