Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I'm starting to think that many of the people playing salmon run are very unfamiliar with the flingza roller. Or the concept of killing bosses on your way back to drop off eggs. Or even just shooting at salmonoids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
:siren: Splatocalypse Schedules :siren:

• US July 18th 5:00 PT - July 21st 5:00 PT
  • EU July 18th 14:00 CET - July 21st 14:00 CET
  • JP July 18th 21:00 JT - July 21st 21:00 JT
  • AU/NZ July 18th 22:00 AET - July 21st 22:00 AET
Since this is a super fresh once-in-a-lifetime global special event, Final Fest will last for 72 hours and starts world-wide at the same time.

Do you like Shifty Stations? No? Well too bad, because this time we're playing all past Shifty Stations in the first 48 hours in two-hour rotations. The last 24 hours will feature a Shifty Station specifically designed by Marina for this Splatfest.

Don't forget to check the Splatoon news feed from which you can get free themed head gear.

SOON

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Takoluka posted:

Have you tried wiring the Pro controller?

I saw that setting when I was poking around settings earlier and meant to test it out. I don't see why it wouldn't work, but unfortunately that's not really a solution for me. I'd have to sit at the foot of my bed for it to reach and looking up at my tv like that would give my neck cramps after a while. That's kind of a last resort if playing this game in handheld just isn't working out.

Xad posted:

You and your friend's TVs might have some post processing going on? A lot of modern TVs do it and it sucks because it introduces a loooot of lag. Try looking for a Game Mode option in your TV settings and turn it on to see if that helps

Yeah I thought about that too, I have a Roku tv and thought some auto update might have switched something. Unfortunately my PS4 works just fine connected to the same tv and I play fighting games a lot so I'm pretty dang sure I'd notice dropped inputs! My friend's tv can't be the culprit either, I tested it by literally undocking his switch while he was going through menus and testing mine real quick. Same problem, and only with mine. I've never heard of this issue before but it looks like the wireless really is conked out for controllers.

Also I do mean just controllers, it's gotta be just the bluetooth that's going since I can play smash docked with zero lag wired through a GameCube controller.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

LethalGeek posted:

Yeah that makes tons more sense than wireless lag. You'd get no input not delayed input from signal issues.

Delayed or dropped inputs is what I meant, I guess. I first noticed the issue trying to play Mario Maker 2 and finding I wasn't jumping when I was pretty sure I hit the button or continuing to move after letting go of a direction.

If it makes more sense, when I go to test input devices in settings and mash a button with a fast but steady rhythm only 7 or 8 out of 10 seem to actually be getting through. Tried resyncing and making sure the controllers are updated too so the only thing left is the console itself unfortunately.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

raditts posted:

Having Marie on Team Order is the wrongest poo poo I've seen in my entire miserable life

You gotta fight for Marie. She's the best sister according to Splatfest Law.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Time to call Nintendo yep 😒

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

If the pro controller works with the cable you could get a long one to get you through splatfest before you send your switch in.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Marina's thoughts are up now too; besides Judd, is anyone missing, or is this the second-to-last one we'll get?

https://twitter.com/NintendoVS/status/1151296266162208769

It's pretty sympathetic even before you compare her to Pearl, who's so rich she's been above consequences her whole life and who started the Splatocalypse/"results will determine the new world" thing pretty much because she felt like it without really thinking about it at all. Marina might not be the "hero" exactly, given some of the overtones the Order stuff has, but Pearl really is the villain of the Final Fest.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
shiiiiiiit i wish i could change to order now
i feel bad for marina :smith:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zeruel posted:

I've had some regrets over picking Order given that it seemed like it was building up for the ultra-authoritarian dystopia worst-possible-interpretation (though Chaos was still bad then too, so it was more "ugh, I don't want to be supporting this" rather than "I wish I picked the other one"), but at this point I'm satisfied with my choice. I'm definitely going to be playing this a lot these coming days for this, even if I'm betting that Chaos has a sizable advantage because of, well, size, among other things.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 17, 2019

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Zeruel posted:

She said pretty much the same thing in the in-
game Splatfest announcement.

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

:duckie:Caprisun Major:duckie:
I don't even read NoA's crappy meme dialogue. I just pick what I want and Japan eclipses us anyway. We don't have a say. Global fests are a farce outside of Japan. I don't think cultural or localization differences matter that much for this one though.

Leaf Lock fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 17, 2019

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Leaf Lock posted:

I don't even read NoA's crappy meme dialogue. I just pick what I want and Japan eclipses us anyway. We don't have a say. Global fests are a farce outside of Japan. I don't think cultural or localization differences matter that much for this one though.

lol

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Leaf Lock posted:

Having jokes or charm at all is meme dialogue.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Order is the status quo and that’s not good enough.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Leaf Lock posted:

Do you hate fun?

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

LethalGeek posted:

Do you hate fun?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I like orders hats so I'm going to jump back into the game and get it. It's a nice cool hat

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Oh I see. Can't really see all that on the mobile client without :effort: of clicking on stuff. Thank you for pointing out the giant red flag lol.

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

LethalGeek posted:

Oh I see. Can't really see all that on the mobile client without :effort: of clicking on stuff. Thank you for pointing out the giant red flag lol.

More of a red flag that someone here would rather spend $10 on someone else than discuss anything, simply ignore them or do anything other than make empty snark posts. If you don't get visibly mad or shut up after the initial onslaught of snark, someone may just spend money on you. Pretty surprising to me since I didn't make more than a couple posts. I guess some people are just that sensitive about things they supposedly don't care about in the first place.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Leaf Lock posted:

More of a red flag that someone here would rather spend $10 on someone else than discuss anything, simply ignore them or do anything other than make empty snark posts. If you don't get visibly mad or shut up after the initial onslaught of snark, someone may just spend money on you. Pretty surprising to me since I didn't make more than a couple posts. I guess some people are just that sensitive about things they supposedly don't care about in the first place.

it's not that deep you just made and are continuing to make very amusingly pathetic posts

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Leaf Lock posted:

I want someone to spend some money on me...

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

absolutely anything posted:

it's not that deep you just made and are continuing to make very amusingly pathetic posts

I disagree with you but not enough to pull out my wallet.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I want someone to spend some money on me...

Maybe one day you too will have an opinion. Wow it is fun being a snarky dickwad. Maybe you guys have it figured out after all.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Leaf Lock posted:

It's like nearly the exact same dialogue this time in all regions lmfao. You're being weird over nothing.

In more relevant news:

https://twitter.com/MyNintendoNews/status/1151492075113893889

Yeah, don't expect Splatoon 3 for a while.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 17, 2019

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Leaf Lock posted:

Maybe one day you too will have an opinion. Wow it is fun being a snarky dickwad. Maybe you guys have it figured out after all.

Oh I've got an opinion alright. In my opinion chargers are the best weapon.

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

Araxxor posted:

It's like nearly the exact same dialogue this time in all regions lmfao. You're being weird over nothing.

Like I said it shouldn't matter for this one because the theme should be interpreted similarly in all regions. However, in general I don't like being beholden to whatever the Japanese result is. It takes any feeling of significance of what I may do in the fest away for me.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I like the idea of erasing people with one shot but I'm too inconsistent with them. One game you will go 8-0 and think you're some sort of charger god, and then you'll hit a wall and get few kills for several games in a row and think "I shouldn't be using this." To me this is not a strong or obnoxious enough opinion to enrich the site though.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

Jonas Albrecht posted:

:yeah:

speaking of, its mystery rotation on smokeyard with the actual best weapon in the game (grizzco charger) and itll be grizzco festival on ark afterwards so thats where ill be

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Leaf Lock posted:

Like I said it shouldn't matter for this one because the theme should be interpreted similarly in all regions. However, in general I don't like being beholden to whatever the Japanese result is. It takes any feeling of significance of what I may do in the fest away for me.

It's a video game, it was never significant.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Leaf Lock posted:

tl;dr

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Leaf Lock posted:

More posts like this please 😋

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Serenade posted:

Order is the status quo and that’s not good enough.

Order is not the status quo. The status quo is capitalist hellscape where the rich, the police, etc can ruin your life at any moment without any repercussions and basically no means of addressing it yourself; the average person effectively exists at the whims of those more powerful than they are. In other words, the status quo is Chaos, and completely removing any checks on the powerful, a la what most people imagine as Chaos, would only further entrench their hold on society and strengthen the current hierarchies. It guarantees the opposite of freedom, at least for anyone not already on top.

To borrow a quote from the "father of anarchism", Pierre-Joseph Proudhon, "As man seeks justice in equality, so society seeks order in anarchy." You made the wrong choice.

Edit: Also, for Splatoon specifically meanwhile, their world is post-apocalyptic, apparently run by celebrities, and features stuff like mad octopuses brainwashing people and trying to destroy the city and whatnot. It's also already a very chaotic place.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 17, 2019

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Order is literally the status quo in that Marina describes it as protecting what she has.

E: It's easily more sympathetic in Splatoon context because Pearl's argument is just "Yo change is cool, that's what we wanted for our music." Which sure, love of the art and all is important especially in regards to Splatoon's whole aesthetic, but it's a lot less personal than Marina's argument.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 17, 2019

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Smiles posted:

:yeah:

speaking of, its mystery rotation on smokeyard with the actual best weapon in the game (grizzco charger) and itll be grizzco festival on ark afterwards so thats where ill be

I like the automatic shotgun brella.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Roland Jones posted:

Order is not the status quo. The status quo is capitalist hellscape where the rich, the police, etc can ruin your life at any moment without any repercussions and basically no means of addressing it yourself; the average person effectively exists at the whims of those more powerful than they are. In other words, the status quo is Chaos, and completely removing any checks on the powerful, a la what most people imagine as Chaos, would only further entrench their hold on society and strengthen the current hierarchies. It guarantees the opposite of freedom, at least for anyone not already on top.

To borrow a quote from the "father of anarchism", Pierre-Joseph Proudhon, "As man seeks justice in equality, so society seeks order in anarchy." You made the wrong choice.

Edit: Also, for Splatoon specifically meanwhile, their world is post-apocalyptic, apparently run by celebrities, and features stuff like mad octopuses brainwashing people and trying to destroy the city and whatnot. It's also already a very chaotic place.

Nah that's a form of order. But acting like what we have in reality is any hard binary of just order or chaos is kinda silly. The status quo is both.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Order is literally the status quo in that Marina describes it as protecting what she has.

Yes, and what she has is... Friendship. That's literally her "status quo"; having friends and being accepted and popular despite being an Octoling in Inkling society, after escaping from Octavio's army. It's also contrasted with Pearl wanting to blow up everything, because she's the richest person ever and is completely insulated from any consequences that might result. Plus, both are described in terms of being a "new world" or whatever, so either victory is going to shake things up quite a bit one way or another; neither is the "status quo", really, for Splatoon (though I stand by the real life status quo being chaos), but only Order actually has any chance of positive improvement.

Edit: Also, Marina doesn't want the status quo, really; she wants stability. There's a difference. She wants to change the world to protect what she has, not keep the world exactly-as-is. (Okay, well, she would have probably preferred that but Pearl forced the issue.)

Zaphod42 posted:

Nah that's a form of order. But acting like what we have in reality is any hard binary of just order or chaos is kinda silly. The status quo is both.

By that logic things like Mad Max's world is order too, because it's run by oppressive warlords (because it's a might-makes-right bloodbath where those with the power and will to do violence can basically do whatever they want) but yes, obviously there isn't the absolute binary games like this like to present, I'm just arguing against the "Order = status quo/authoritarian oppression" thing I've seen here and elsewhere a few times, and also secondarily against the notion of anarchy being chaos when the ideal anarchist society would probably be pretty orderly and also a whole lot more just and equitable than what we have now.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 17, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Of course it is. Everything is some amount of order and chaos. Max's world has less order than our world, but still has order. The war boys following a master is a form of order, although a weaker one than employees working for a boss who are employees of a state.

Over time the Earth is building greater order, but we consume more energy than we generate to do so.

That's thermodynamics. And all things tend towards maximum entropy, thermodynamic equilibrium.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Xad posted:

Team Chaos are Trump voters, change my mind :colbert:

Team Order is fash :colbert:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Last time I failed her, Callie got kidnapped and mindcontroller.

Ibwill destroy all order for her safety this time.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This thread ftw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Last time I failed her, Callie got kidnapped and mindcontroller.

Ibwill destroy all order for her safety this time.

Speaking as someone who likes Callie more than Marie, she intentionally put on mind-control glasses after learning that they were mind-control glasses and being under their control once. There's nothing you can do to keep her truly safe.

Also Pearl will suffer no pretenders to her Chaos throne so after she wins she's probably offing Callie ASAP.