Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mystery Machine posted:

Wasn't really enjoying the game because of tilt controls, and then I did some single player and a bunch of Salmon Run and suddenly I have the skills to pay the bills. Went from losing twice as much as I won in Turf Wars to winning a whole lot and carrying my team by wide margins. It's really impressive how Salmon Run teaches you the core principles of doing well in this game a lot better than anything else. Switching to the Tentatek Splatters also really helped. Such nice guns.

now i am just frustrated my fashion is bad i don't need good gear i just wanna look s t y l i s h.

I weirdly can only do good without tilt controls and with the sensitivity WAY down. I think the joy-con analogs just aren't very good or I'm... bad at ... video games .. now?

:negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

it's a dumb thing but sometimes i have ranked anxiety and just can't really bring myself to play it, it comes and goes, i played a bunch of tower control yesterday and had a good time but just don't really have the heart for it right now

that said is ranked really that much faster? don't you basically get no exp for a loss, especially if you got KO'd? i wouldn't expect to get KO'd every game nor KO every game but assuming like at least a 50% winrate i'm not sure what ranked averages out to exp wise

All I know is that I leveled up twice in two hours. But don't do anything they stresses you out, videogames should be fun

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Zelder posted:

But don't do anything they stresses you out, videogames should be fun

:yeah:

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Video games are a life and death struggle to prove whether or not you are better as a person physically and mentally

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I would also like to know for experience for a loss works in ranked this time. I never played ranked in 1 really because I couldn't bear to do something where there was a good chance I wouldn't gain any experience whatsoever.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Ostentatious posted:

Video games are a life and death struggle to prove whether or not you are better as a person physically and mentally

I mean yeah but that's fun

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Hey you know how Flyfish are annoying assholes that take forever to kill?

Did you know the Stingray special can insta gib them if you shoot them with it?

It's pretty cool.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
I have a weird problem where stuff will get pretty intense in Salmon Run and I'll accidentally activate my super because I was tilting the stick hard trying to dodge or something. It's annoying because most of the time I'll activate it on something really lame like a chud in wave 2 or something and I bet my teammates think I'm an idiot.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Bill Barber posted:

I have a weird problem where stuff will get pretty intense in Salmon Run and I'll accidentally activate my super because I was tilting the stick hard trying to dodge or something. It's annoying because most of the time I'll activate it on something really lame like a chud in wave 2 or something and I bet my teammates think I'm an idiot.

It's okay we still love you

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Bill Barber posted:

I had a friend on a low tide event pop his ink jet and after a minute of hovering in place he flew over the ocean and shot from there while the fish failed to reach him and couldn't do anything to him. I thought it was clever as it bought us time to harass a bunch of bosses that couldn't reach him but he later admitted it was a total accident and he was originally trying to kill himself out of shame :v:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Hey you know how Flyfish are annoying assholes that take forever to kill?

Did you know the Stingray special can insta gib them if you shoot them with it?

It's pretty cool.
I tried this with the jetpack and nothing. Wish this poo poo was more consistent.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
I just pulled these. Which do I want more?

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Stealth Jump isn't complete stealth they'll still be notified that someone is jumping into the area it just won't be locked down on a pin head.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Bill Barber posted:

Stealth Jump isn't complete stealth they'll still be notified that someone is jumping into the area it just won't be locked down on a pin head.

Ah thanks I was just about to ask this

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'
I need splat friends

Friend code is SW-2791-0217-1909

Also, am I the only one that wants a James Bond tuxedo outfit?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Are they gonna need the Aerospray or what? When 3 out of the 4 people on the other team are using it it's a massacre.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do you get coins for Ranked mode? And how many? is ranked or turf better for coins?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Turtlicious posted:

Do you get coins for Ranked mode? And how many? is ranked or turf better for coins?

I think turf is better for coins but ranked is better for xp

Someone said you get more coins the higher your rank is but I didn't notice my coin gain getting much bigger as I ranked up compared to a few rounds of turf war

salmon run the best for coins

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Huh, a lot of people are apparently really bad at this game or I am some sort of savant. I've done enough to level up to level 5 with a food ticket and while I haven't won every match (lost the first 4 in a row I think) I've consistently been at the top of my team, or at least number 2 in points, with 8 kills being my best. I don't really focus on kills so much as just paint everything. I don't think I'm particularly good and I'm still struggling with motion controls so maybe this game has more actual children playing than I thought it did.

Either way I'm having fun even in the losses so it's a pretty fun and good game and gets a :yeah: award from me.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Bill Barber posted:

I'll trust you on this one, complete stranger

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
Dumb question but can I sell or break down gear I don't want anymore?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
where do I go to break down gear into ability chunks?

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Lord Wexia posted:

Dumb question but can I sell or break down gear I don't want anymore?
If it has sub (little) abilities on it then you can pay Murch a hefty fee to turn it into shards or whatever the gently caress they're called. Not really worth it unless you're endgaming.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

enojy posted:

Are they gonna need the Aerospray or what? When 3 out of the 4 people on the other team are using it it's a massacre.
Aerospray is easily negated by an actual offensive class who knows what they're doing (deaths create a huge splat that can really turn the tide in the last 10 seconds) which makes it all the more frustrating that you're not allowed to swap out your gear while currently in a lobby.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

bowmore posted:

where do I go to break down gear into ability chunks?

There's a little sea urchin dude sitting on a bench on the right side of the multiplayer tower. Talk to him if you're fresh enough.

There's a little marker over his location if you open the menu.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Bill Barber posted:

Aerospray is easily negated by an actual offensive class who knows what they're doing (deaths create a huge splat that can really turn the tide in the last 10 seconds) which makes it all the more frustrating that you're not allowed to swap out your gear while currently in a lobby.

What's it matter if you can switch or not? You're guaranteed at least one aerospray user in any round

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Mystery Machine posted:

now i am just frustrated my fashion is bad i don't need good gear i just wanna look s t y l i s h.

I don't look fresh at all because I can't resist the urge to min/max my clothes in a game for children. :negative:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dr Cheeto posted:

There's a little sea urchin dude sitting on a bench on the right side of the multiplayer tower. Talk to him if you're fresh enough.

There's a little marker over his location if you open the menu.
Thanks mate!

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

ok two things:

1) splashdown in splat zones is quite possibly the rudest poo poo i've ever partaken in, it's so good

2) can confirm if you're KO'd in ranked in splatoon 2 you get more or less no experience whatsoever

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Scrubbing a piece of gear costs the price of a few gear pieces, so IMO messing with slots and chunks isn't something to worry about until you've amassed a decent collection and are honing in on your minmax loadout.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Kaubocks posted:

2) can confirm if you're KO'd in ranked in splatoon 2 you get more or less no experience whatsoever

It was like that in 1 too. You only get time related EXP bonuses if your team lasted that long.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Friendship ended with Blaster, now Tri Slosher is new best friend.

(Ink Barrier is absurdly good so far)

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

It was like that in 1 too. You only get time related EXP bonuses if your team lasted that long.

yeah i know i was just wondering earlier in the thread if they changed it at all for this game

(they didn't)

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

shortspecialbus posted:

Huh, a lot of people are apparently really bad at this game or I am some sort of savant. I've done enough to level up to level 5 with a food ticket and while I haven't won every match (lost the first 4 in a row I think) I've consistently been at the top of my team, or at least number 2 in points, with 8 kills being my best. I don't really focus on kills so much as just paint everything. I don't think I'm particularly good and I'm still struggling with motion controls so maybe this game has more actual children playing than I thought it did.

Either way I'm having fun even in the losses so it's a pretty fun and good game and gets a :yeah: award from me.

Went on a 6 game winstreak and then got utterly stomped 3 games in a row in a lobby that kept having these 2 guys that were absolutely lethal with chargers end up against me and just spawncamp us and we couldn't do poo poo. I still easily led the team with like 400p :(

Is there a good way to deal with two spawncamping chargers? They had inked our entire spawn so you couldn't even really go squid and flank them, you'd just get one shot really quickly. Those were the only 3 games I didn't have fun and that was only because I couldn't do anything except die

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Supercar Gautier posted:

Scrubbing a piece of gear costs the price of a few gear pieces, so IMO messing with slots and chunks isn't something to worry about until you've amassed a decent collection and are honing in on your minmax loadout.

I regret scrubbing early since I keep finding fresh gear and I can't decide what I want to wear

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
I wouldn't stress too much about finding perfect gear or checking the shop every 3 hours. You can special order any piece of clothing (with attached main stat) from Murch if you see it in the lobby. Just stroll around and check out what people are wearing and if you see someone with a badass jacket with Ink Refill stat on it just steal it from them.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

grand theft grotto posted:

Am I misunderstanding how Ink Armor works? Just popped it in a 1v1 firefight and then died in one hit from an N-Zap.

It has a startup time and only blocks one hit, so it has to be used proactively and gives you a slight edge. Important to note it buffs your whole team though.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I played a bunch of games with a guy who was really good with the paintbrush, guaranteeing a win for whichever team he was on. He was so speedy and frantic, like a stylish Tasmanian devil! I admire him.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I keep tryyying to join the motion control elite but every time it feels so wrong.

One day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
In a world of aerosprays, the mini-splatling is king.