Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Frankston posted:

I'm glad I found out now that vertical paint doesn't count because I spent a lot of time in the demo painting vertical walls

This was me. I've never played Splatoon 1 so I was using the roller, doing only horizontal flicks, and flailing around with the motion controls. Basically I was the perfect storm of garbage and I took 20 seconds to paint a wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Alright which one of you guys did this

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

I keep reading people mention that there's a way to tell if a salmon run wave is going to be high tide/low tide. I've never noticed anything during the countdown or before the water level changes, so what is the indication exactly?

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Deceptive Thinker posted:

At the start of the round at the bottom part of the screen is a tinted wave-like overlay
If it is below the text, it is low tide, if it's way above the text (almost halfway up) it is high tide - in the middle is normal

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You have a transparent wave animation as part of the wave-starting HUD along the bottom of the screen. Covering up to half the screen means high-tide, floating around the bottom of the screen means low-tide.

Thanks for explaining the high/low tide indicators on salmon run guys. That transparent wave banner was a lot more subtle than I was expecting.

Pubbies been doing real good with today's loadout. All straightforward damage weapons resulted in me going 5/5 today in pro.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

If seabagging after using splashdown to wipe a team camping my super jump is wrong, I don't want to be right.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Frankston posted:

I've been employing a very sneaky tactic towards the end of salmon run rounds that's been helping me win a lot more than before, here it is:

I don't go charging wildly into the giant group of enemies to get splatted. I hang back at a safe distance and stay out of harm's way.

Unorthodox I know, but there you go.

Yeah the real secret to salmon run is to hone your pubbie herding skills. They're very predictable in that they'll ignore everything and beeline towards bosses cause they want to be top DPS. Usually they'll manage to take the boss down with them then immediately die to the salmon mosh pit they dove into.

My role is usually the janitor-- keep things moving smoothly by inking escape routes, keep trash monsters under control (eg kill the trash that no one's paying attention to, pubbies love to target fixate and magdump into the same hoard even though one person could have easily handled it). Of course, some weapons can't do this as well because they're highly specialized (scopes, brushes, etc) so at that point you should play to it's strengths.

In general I find playing reactively to what my teammates are doing and covering their flaws has been a good strategy. I pub all my salmon run games and have never dropped out of pro since I got there. You'll lose sometimes despite your best efforts and it's cathartic to say "loving pubbies", but in the end you're the only common factor between all your runs and you should try to improve on the things you have direct control over.

yergacheffe fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 8, 2017

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

One other pro tip I learned from this thread for mothership round is that if you have the Stingray super, use it on the ship as it's coming towards your egg baskets. When you damage the ship while it's flying towards you, it'll drop gold eggs.

Try to also memorize where a good group of chinooks spawn close to the basket are and dedicate yourself to staying in that area popping them for eggs. Spam 'this way' and hopefully your teammates will notice the giant pile of eggs you're piling up. I find most mothership waves fail because people are spending way too much time chasing down chinooks only for them to fly away at the last second.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Aviators with ink saver are up on Splatnet for 8 hours!! Get you some!

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

I prefer the heavy for salmon run. I need the extra range and damage to reliably one cycle Steelheads and I find it extremely useful for maximizing Goldies in gusher rounds. But realistically it's probably better in all other use cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

jetpackhewy posted:

Where do you aim for this to work? Inside the pod where you throw the bombs?

Yeah you have to hit inside the pod. Make sure you aim dead center and clear the lip of the basket that keeps thrown bombs in.