Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Rodents of unusual size? I don't think they exist.

Fun Shoe

Tatsuta Age posted:

OMG the rocket jump ultimate​ power is extremely good and cool and my friend

JUSTICE SPLATS FROM ABOVE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

All the ultimates are somehow more fun to use and much cooler while also being less powerful and frustrating to get attacked by than the splat 1 supers.

Great balance.

Yeah, I hope any of the ones we haven't seen yet are also like this because some of the specials in the original were just infuriating to be on the other side of.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fun Shoe

The weapon in the tutorial seemed like the Splattershot Jr. so I'm hoping that makes a comeback.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fun Shoe

SpaceDrake posted:

It's the first true shotgun we've ever had. I can't wait.

Also it looks like folks in Europe are starting to get their hands on early copies. Prepare for some Real Spoilers here in the next 24 hours, tops, I suspect.

I felt like the original pre-nerf Dynamo Roller was essentially the Super Shotgun of that game but I'm excited for umbrellas if they're going to formalize shotguns as a whole class of weapons.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fun Shoe

This just makes me want to tap them* even harder

*against the NFC reader

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fun Shoe

Splatoon is very wabi-sabi

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fun Shoe

So they did screw up but not in the way you thought

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fun Shoe

JackDarko posted:

Any advice for getting acclimated to the motion controls on a pro controller? Should I be using both sticks even with the motion turned on?

I've used motion controls for probably over a hundred hours with the first game and I just binged through this game's single player using the pro controller with motion controls. I think it feels pretty good. Maybe even better than the first game since the pro controller is lighter and easier to hold and move than the gamepad.

You definitely should still be using the stick to turn even with motion controls on. In fact you should be using the stick for most of your turning. You can make very fast turns with the stick, which I think is pretty important in a game that's as mobile as this one. You can jack the sensitivity all the way up and not have to worry about your aim getting screwed up too badly, because you're not using the stick for vertical aiming at all and you have the motion controls to fall back on for fine aiming. Also, as a side effect of the Y axis being disabled you can be really sloppy with the stick - just slam your thumb into it to make turns.

Motion controls are for fine control of your aim and vertical aiming. Use the stick to turn more or less in the direction you want to shoot and then correct it with motion controls. You can get a high degree of both speed and accuracy with some practice.

I like to also jack the sensitivity up all the way for the motion controls so that I don't have to move the controller very much. High sensitivity also lets you make more drastic turns with the motion controls if necessary. I said that you want to do most of your large turns with the stick, but sometimes in a close-range knife fight you have to choose between having your thumb on the stick or having it on the B button to jump (at least, I haven't found a comfortable way to keep my thumb on both at the same time.) So while your thumb is mashing B to jump around like a maniac to make it harder to get hit you can still use the motion controls for larger turns that you'd normally use the stick for (but can't because your thumb isn't on the stick.). Takes practice but it's definitely better than staying on the ground in that kind of situation.

I find myself pressing Y to reset the aim pretty often. I hit it if after I put my controller back in a resting position I find my aim to be too high or low.

I hope that's useful. I like how the motion controls are implemented and I'd never recommend twin sticks to anyone who hasn't made up their mind.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fun Shoe

What does it even look like to do a 180 with motion controls are you sitting in a swivel chair and spinning around

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fun Shoe

Twist And Pout! posted:

Uh you use the left stick to walk backwards and hit Y to do an instant 180 snap. Pretty simple!

I do want to try getting a 360 charger shot by doing a 360 irl though.

Oh right there's that. Not the worst thing in the world but I got really used to using max sensitivity stick to spin around so I forgot about it.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

If you use motion controls you're not supposed to JUST use motion controls. Its a hybrid system. You use the motion for fine movement and aiming, and you use the stick for gross movements.

It allows for finer accuracy than the sticks, which has you either picking between high sensitivity so you can turn fast but then you're inaccurate, or high accuracy and low sensitivity and then you're limited on your maximum turn speed.

I posted a guide about this on this page, I know aaaaall about this

I just brain-farted because when they said they hit Y a lot I thought they were using it to correct after doing crazy things with the gyro.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fun Shoe

Callie and Marie Amiibos were disappointing since I was all hyped up by the embargo. Not even Squid Sisters outfits for my own squid huh.

This is okay though:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fun Shoe

Djarum posted:

So is there a solution other than buying the overpriced HORI headset to do voice chat and game in the same headset?

If you want to use Discord or whatever and if you're playing next to a desktop PC or a laptop that has a headphone jack, microphone jack and a line in jack, you can connect the headphone jack of the Switch to the Line In, plug in a headset to the headphone/microphone pair on the PC, and then get your PC to play the line in through the headset.

Looks like this in Windows:

I used this configuration just fine on the Wii U using its analog A/V port and it worked great. However with the Switch I needed to get an audio ground isolator to get rid of the hum from the ground loop when docked. I guess the Wii U had an isolated power supply but the Switch doesn't?

edit: If your TV has a headphone jack you can try using that instead of the Switch's and that might not have ground loop poo poo going on

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at Jul 22, 2017 around 07:59

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fun Shoe

The inklines in 2's Moray Towers make it pretty dynamic and less centered around a central death arena. I didn't dislike it before but now it feels pretty good. I hope we get even more classic stages with changes like that.

Edit: Hell the changes to Moray Towers kind of mirror the game as a whole. Overall Nintendo did a great job keeping the good parts of the first game while changing mostly just the bad parts.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at Jul 22, 2017 around 22:37

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fun Shoe

I love the new specials. I got frustrated with the first game's specials being almost more important than the gun they were attached to. Invincibility is kind of crappy in a shooter, the massive area of effects kind of screwed up ranked modes, and because of the netcode I kept dying to Inkzooka before even seeing the projectile (or the player popping the special for that matter.)

I just need to get out of the habit of hitting special with the Splattershot Jr. when getting into a knife fight because Ink Armour doesn't do you any favours when someone is up in your face. (I'll go to my grave maintaining that the Splattershot Jr. is better than the Aerospray)

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fun Shoe

CodfishCartographer posted:

I love the dualies, rolling around is so fun. Any general tips for using them?

They get better (higher RoF and such) after you finish a roll and it sticks until you move normally, so practice knife fighting without moving except via rolls. (In contrast to other guns where you want to be hopping around or squidding a lot)

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fun Shoe

Futaba Anzu posted:

i know i'm complaining about matchmaking in ranked when i'm also contributing to the problem but it's some zen type of bullshit that I keep getting put into teams filled with one weapon type whereas the enemy team has genuinely had a good diverse spread that lets them have a long range position to safely jump to all the time in my last and only 2-9 games of rainmaker

i guess in that sense it's completely my fault because there's only 3 separate chances of having a long ranged position on my team discounting me whereas the enemy team has 4 chances so i guess i'll just learn how to snipe

When I played arranged team ranked in the first game there definitely was a correlation between us losing and the enemy having a really amazing sniper so that might not be a bad idea.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fun Shoe

I had a game record me as having 6 kills with my main gun when I only remember 1

Edit: unless I got a lot more grenade kills than I noticed

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fun Shoe

Jarogue posted:

I believe it also counts assist

Okay that makes sense; I was having a pretty bad game where in a few fights I landed several hits but couldn't stick the last one before dying so I guess my teammates finished the job.

I've seen a few people mention that they see some particularly bad play, people walking instead of squidding and such, or standing still to shoot, but after it let me out of the newbie kiddie pool I've seen some really good playing that reminded me just how much rust I have on my splet skills. Are there tiers for the matchmaking? It seems to take a while to fill up games I'm in.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fun Shoe

With this map, these weapons, and Grillers? gently caress you Grizz; I'm not getting paid enough to die

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fun Shoe

Jarogue posted:

I think I get it now why people said the Splattershot Jr. was too legit to quit in the first game

Ink Armor isn't anywhere near as good as Bubbler was, but none of the specials in this game are as good as the ones in the first game anyway, so the Jr. is still excellent. I kept trying other guns in the first game and just kept coming back to the Jr. because I liked the feel and performance of it. It's one of the best guns to have in a high speed close range knife fight and it spits out ink almost as well as the Aerospray (to the point where I can barely feel the difference.) The standard grenades are just about the most useful and versatile bombs because they can flush people out of a place you can't reach or get then to keep away from a place or deter pursuit when you need to reposition for a backstab or whatever.

You'll rarely win running straight at someone using most other guns since they'll outrange you but that's not the best way to kill anyone anyway. If you can get into close range you'll win every time though, even if they know full well that you're there. The RoF and the spread just make it perfect for those point blank fights where you're jumping around like a maniac. Any weapon should win in a perfect ambush but the Jr. will see you through if things go wrong.

I haven't even bought any other guns yet because past experience tells me I won't use them anyway

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at Jul 24, 2017 around 18:54

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fun Shoe

Spacebump posted:

Somehow people are "printing" pictures into Splatoon 2 with a Pokken control. https://github.com/shinyquagsire23/Switch-Fightstick

So the switch will just accept any USB HID device with the correct descriptors as a pro controller?

I figured that the USB connection was for charging and making the initial wireless sync easier and that the actual controller communication was over wireless, but this sort of opens things up for weird custom controllers. I wrote USB HID code for a different brand of microcontroller years ago that I should dig back up and play with.

Afro posted:

oh yes people learning rainmaker for the first time taking it back to OUR base because they're thinking capture the flag and not TOUCHDOWN *spikes that poo poo*

Rainmaker would be so poo poo if you had to take it back to your own base

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fun Shoe

I regularly have 10+ kill ~1000p matches with the Jr. but I'm more impressed by your ~500p inking

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fun Shoe

Dr Cheeto posted:

Speaking of aesthetic I hope they do a Japanese-rear end oil-paper Brella at some point

They can't just give Marie a Japanese umbrella and not give us one as well.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fun Shoe

The fact that something is aimed at kids doesn't necessarily mean that is the market that it finds the most traction in though.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pretty sure you'd need the console to play the game, for one thing. Nevermind digital purchases.

No poo poo. But why are you assuming people who don't own the console are even buying it

edit: maybe that's not what you're saying but I don't understand what you're trying to say here at all or what this has to do with the sales figures of this game

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fun Shoe

Takoluka posted:

There were more copies of BotW sold than there were Switches for a while.

I think that Splatoon will probably end up the same way to some degree.

Wasn't that because there was also a Wii U version?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fun Shoe

Smiles posted:

senpai noticed me (>∀<)

Sometimes I think about the world where Callie won the last Splatfest and the roles in the single player campaign were reversed, and I throw up a little in my mouth

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fun Shoe

Coolspaz posted:

Just to make sure, the spaceship things with red laser pointers are Grillers right?

Yes.

My training didn't prepare me for the first time I had to fight Grillers...

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fun Shoe

AfroGunsou posted:

i still think the manhole wave with the hidden goldies is a crapshoot. i have yet to be able to tell any difference between the manhole glows even though the game claims there is one

I don't know if it's bugged or a jape but occasionally there actually are gushers that are brighter than the others but I've never seen a goldie in one.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fun Shoe

g0lbez posted:

Do grillers get harder or something? I see everyone bitching about them but everytime they spawn they spawn with literally nothing else so they just immediately get sniped while slowly meandering near the egg basket

I would definitely not classify Grillers as slow. So either you have different standards about what fast is or they actually do get way faster later on.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fun Shoe

Saint Freak posted:

Haha yeah. Spaceship things. Looks like they've got some kind of...small pastries??? in them too.

They've got fish thrashing around inside as they cook and drip goo

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fun Shoe

Jonas Albrecht posted:

All specials fill the tank.

And the best part is that Ink Armor doesn't spend a bunch of time making you do something else after you activate it like a bunch of the other specials. It stops you momentarily and then you can get right back to whatever you were doing.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fun Shoe

I've seen some people say Ink Armor absorbs one hit but in my experience it's more like it absorbs enough damage to go from full health to dead before it breaks. Like I've heard the armour twang sound multiple times when getting hit by SMG fire before it breaks. What's the deal with it?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fun Shoe

Not a Children posted:

This is my favorite thing to do. Baiting people with the jump indicator is so friggin' satisfying

I learned about this while camping a jump indicator and I couldn't even be angry about it. Like I kind of deserved it.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fun Shoe

Lakbay posted:

I read that it absorbs 30 damage

That's worse than I thought but I'm okay with specials not being huge gently caress you buttons anymore.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Cool hypothetical but everybody I know with a wiiu or a switch who has kids has splatoon 1 and/or 2 and plays it with their kids. Soooooo.

How does this have anything to do with what I posted?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fun Shoe

Can Stingrays do anything about Flyfish (the missile guys?) I've tried a few times but it didn't work out because I suck at aiming and/or I time it poorly and something kills me first.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fun Shoe

LethalGeek posted:

This is correct. The armor puts you at 200% hp

Excellent.

You're the only person to say that, and the wiki just says one hit as well, but an extra 100% HP matches up far closer with my observations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

You said just because its marketed at kids doesn't mean it has lots of kids playing it.

But I know lots of kids that play it so that's somethin.

No, I said that without data you can't just assume that the only people playing something is the target market. However I didn't make any claims about what the demographics are because I don't have any data.

I was actually hoping that someone had that data because I'm really curious what the demographics look like.

I assume tons and tons of kids are playing but I wonder if the ages skew upward when you start looking at people with high ranks. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the more hardcore players are weirdo 30 year olds like me.

«3 »