Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

When I played ranked last weekend I was getting put into matches that were always like 150+ above my power, 7 japanese players and oftentimes multiple 99* Levels. It was totally insane, but it was a fun glimpse into that tier of matchmaking. I'm glad the true fans are out there grinding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

All the kids who can't afford smash are eating lead from the wrong end of my zink splatling today...it's a free for all. Smoking fools nonstop

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've got an hour to get 700 points...I don't think I'm gonna make it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

A great gimmick for the final Pearl v Marina splatfest would be that the map rotation was just every shift station ever

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Needed to go 4 for 4 in my last 4 and lost the 3rd match :negative: team heroes was complete poo poo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

NofrikinfuN posted:

This was my experience as well. I did finally get a couple decent streaks against team villain later in the day, presumably after the good players got to King/Queen and went back to playing Smash.

I immediately booted up smash once I was mathematically eliminated :cheers: although I'll be playing some ranked tomorrow, forgot how fun this was after 7 days of smash hype

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

In 4.0 didn't they make it so you could order event gear off people? So it could spread internationally like those MMO viruses

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

4.3.1 came out yesterday: https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27028/~/how-to-update-splatoon-2

quote:

Sploosh-o-matic, Neo Sploosh-o-matic

Increased the effect of the Main Power Up gear ability.
Increased the amount of additional damage that can be dealt when the maximum number of gear abilities are being used from roughly 20% to roughly 25%.

Aerospray MG, Aerospray RG

The effect provided by Main Power Up is now more easily triggered, even with fewer instances of the gear ability equipped.

Squeezer, Foil squeezer

Increased the amount of additional damage that can be dealt when the maximum number of gear abilities are being used from roughly 20% to roughly 30%.
Damage dealt while holding down ZR to shoot remains unchanged.

Splat Roller, Krak-On Splat Roller, Kensa Splat Roller, Hero Roller Replica

Adjusted the rate of damage drop off over distance for vertical swings. The damage drop off over distance for 50.0 damage and lower will now be less severe.
The distances at which a vertical swing will deal 100.0 or more damage and 50.0 or more damage remain unchanged.
Due to this change, a vertical swing from these rollers will no longer deal less damage than the same attack from a Carbon Roller, regardless of distance.

Inkbrush, Inkbrush Nouveau

The increase to movement speed while inking with the maximum number of Main Power Up gear abilities equipped has been raised from roughly 4% to roughly 5%.
The effect provided by Main Power Up is now more easily triggered, even with fewer instances of the gear ability equipped.

Octobrush, Octobrush Nouveau, Kensa Octobrush, Herobrush Replica

The increase to movement speed while inking with the maximum number of Main Power Up gear abilities equipped has been raised from roughly 10% to roughly 12%.

E-liter 4K, Custom E-liter 4K

The increase to shot range with the maximum number of Main Power Up gear abilities equipped has been raised from roughly 3% to roughly 5%.

E-liter 4K Scope, Custom E-liter 4K Scope

The increase to shot range with the maximum number of Main Power Up gear abilities equipped has been raised from roughly 3% to roughly 5%.

Tri-Slosher, Tri-Slosher Nouveau

The boost to the radius of ink coverage for the middle portion of shots that strike an object mid-shot when the maximum number of Main Power Up gear abilities are equipped has been increased from roughly 20% to roughly 25%.

Mini Splatling, Zink Mini Splatling, Kensaa Mini Splatling

The increase to the duration of rapid fire with the maximum number of Main Power Up gear abilities equipped has been raised from roughly 30% to roughly 35%.

Undercover Brella, Undercover Sorella Brella, Kensa Undercover Brella

The reduction in time it takes for a Brella’s umbrella portion to be restored with the maximum number of Main Power Up gear abilities equipped has been raised from roughly 33% to roughly 44%.

Hydra Splatling, Custom Hydra Splatling

Decreased the effect of the Main Power Up gear ability.
Changed the number of gear abilities required for the damage of less than fully-charged shots to reach 33.3 from 0.9 basic gear abilities to 1.5 basic gear abilities.
Additional gear abilities have 0.3 the effect of a basic gear ability.
The damage of a fully-charged shot remains unchanged.

Ballpoint Splatling, Ballpoint Splatling Nouveau

Decreased the effect of the Run Speed Up gear ability.
Changed the number of gear abilities required for the damage of less than fully-charged shots to reach 33.3 from 0.9 basic gear abilities to 1.5 basic gear abilities.

Splat Dualies, Enperry Splat Dualies, Kensa Splat Dualies, Hero Dualie Replicas

Changed the number of gear abilities required for the damage of less than fully-charged shots to reach 33.3 from 2.0 basic gear abilities to 3.2 basic gear abilities.

Specifications for some of the sub weapons have been changed.

Fizzy Bomb

Decreased the radius of ink coverage from the 2nd explosion by roughly 15%.
Decreased the radius of ink coverage from the 3rd explosion by roughly 21%.

Torpedo

Increased ink consumption on use from 60% to 65% of a standard ink tank.
Decreased splash damage dealt by ink explosions from 18.0 to 12.0.
Increased splash damage dealt by ink explosions to Bubble Blower bubbles by roughly 50%.
Combining the effects of the above two changes means that damage dealt to Bubble Blower bubbles remains the same as it was prior to this update.

Specifications for the following special weapon have been changed.

Bubble Blower
Decreased the radius within which 250.0 damage is dealt by roughly 8%.
Decreased amount of time before bubbles disappear on their own by roughly 6%. NOTE!!! This is a translation error, it's actually 6 seconds, a 33% decrease.

Points required for using specials have been changed for certain main weapons.

Bloblobber Deco 180 -> 190
Custom Hydra Splatling 180 -> 190
Ballpoint Splatling Nouveau 190 -> 200

Fixed an issue causing Torpedos to disappear instead of exploding if they touched a piece of moving terrain while following a player.

Fixed an issue in which players dealing contact damage to an opponent using a Booyah Bomb with their roller or brush weapon wouldn’t be thrown backward if they failed to splat the Booyah Bomb user with a single attack.

Fixed an issue in Clam Blitz where readying a clam while being tracked by an opponent’s torpedo would cause the aiming reticle to react, even if the torpedo passed through the clam.

Fixed an issue occurring on the Walleye Warehouse stage, related to taking damage from an opponent’s Ink Storm. While standing on the crates beneath the lights near the center of the stage, players would previously take damage from an opponent’s Ink Storm while standing on one crate but not the other, but will now take damage while standing on either crate.

Fixed an issue occurring on the Shellendorf Institute stage, where certain animations did not display correctly when viewed through specific panes of glass.

Changes to Ranked Battle
Weapon specifications are taken into account when splitting an assembled group of eight players into teams for Ranked Battle, but this feature has been changed in the following ways:
The number of players with crown icons in X Rank will no longer have a significant impact on team breakdown.
The number of players using weapons from different categories such as “shooter” or “roller” won’t have a significant impact on team breakdown. Instead, the specifications for each specific weapon will be given more weight when splitting up teams.

Changes to Salmon Run
Fixed an issue occurring after creating a “With Friends” room where taking too long before selecting “Recruit more players” would cause other players not to join the room.
Fixed an issue causing players to occasionally pass through stage terrain after touching and getting knocked back by a Scrapper or Flyfish while standing near a wall.
Fixed an issue causing Scrappers to mistakenly not take damage when hit from behind with a direct shot from a Cannon.

Changes to the Octo Expansion
Fixed an issue causing an unintended reaction when touching an ink rail while getting pulled to a Grapplink after attacking the Grapplink.

Other Changes
When using the Kensa Splattershot Jr., the sticker on the player’s ink tank was previously the same as the one when using the Splattershot Jr., but is now unique.
Fixed an issue in spectator mode that caused the “Turf Inked” stat for each weapon to increase incorrectly.

This is a bigger balance change than I thought it would be so I haven't read it yet

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The bubbler nerfs are muy tasty.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Novasol posted:

Lots of fresh Christmas blood today. It's been a while since I've had matches this free and it makes me feel dirty.

I feel like a serial killer, just equipping an umbrella and walking at people menacingly.

I've gone on a 17 game loss streak since Christmas Eve and I'm about to go on a shooting spree.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sick quad... https://twitter.com/In__Training/status/1078045891401998336

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Thanks for the heads up, that's always a fun time

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Is this the first month since release that didn't have an update or addition of some kind...I guess this is growing up...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Good luck to Team Friend

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The absolute loving madmen put those scrubbing shower enemies on this shifty station.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Crawfish posted:

https://twitter.com/CrawfishPrime/status/1081519564624515072

Changed my mind on this shifty. I like it. Distraction play was stupidly successful this map.

This is what changed my mind on it

http://twitter.com/In__Training/status/1081555205731188737

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Arowana mall is awesome.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Team Waffle here, due to the crispiness.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I picked ranked back up yesterday, and I was worried that I would be drowning after not playing seriously in a month or two, and my new work schedule meaning I'm queueing almost exclusively with Japanese Lv150+ powerhouses but I've still got it :woomy:

http://twitter.com/In__Training/status/1092876438947061761

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I just realized I never picked up my seashells for the last splatfest :cry:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mystery Machine posted:

How does Turf War matchmaking even work? I've come back to the game after a year of not playing and I just can't manage to find a win. I think I'm losing 90% of my matches. I figured even sucking I'd at least get close to breaking even in the casual mode but the games are just under even when I'm getting good splats and I get completely pushed in when I'm under breaking even. I used to get some highish splat powers in splatfests, is it going to take me playing that to reset how good Splatoon thinks I am at turf wars?

It's not a big deal but I'm trying to grind some new gear and I'd at least want to get to a point where I can win like 40% of the matches I play so my tickets don't go to waste.

Winning vs losing in turf war makes a negligible difference on xp gain, so i wouldn't sweat it. Also I really don't know how much matchmaking there is in turf war, especially since there's the fairly high chance that you're in a room with a bunch of people on voice chat together or something.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Please, for the love of all that is good in this world, please stop including Shellendorf in the monthly ranked rotations

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh snap tomorrow is also grizzco difficulty. I love over time they leaned into Salmon Run being a part of the Splatfest festivities.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

soppi posted:

I've been having a lot of fun with a new play style. On turf wars I use bloblobber with the ink gate and ink storm and the strategy is to basically run any time you see an opponent. So I have Ninja, 3 main power boost (ink coverage for bloblobber which makes it really long), 3 swim speed up, and the rest I try to use to boost my main ink saver or special in any way. I don't know what the best setup would be, I'm just going with what I have and I'm new to the game. But I try to focus purely on map control and practicing watching teammates and mini map. It's so much fun hiding and messing with people when you have the ninja power. I'm constantly jumping and swimming away or trying to trick them by hiding. I don't actually try to run every time I see someone, but my main focus is staying alive and maximizing ink output.

Edit: Also I think I'm two wins away from filling my A- bar in Rainmaker. What rank should I look towards getting where I can know I'm not complete garbage at this game?

X :cool:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's good that you're looking at the map, it's something people probably forget to do the most, and it used to be easier in 1 by having it always on the gamepad. The map gives you an insane amount of situational information based on where ink is appearing and how

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If you wanna learn how to aim and still be in the nonstop inking mode id say give the bamboozler a shot.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Remember that CoroCoro sponsored gear design contest a couple of months ago? Well, the results are in, and the winner is:

Uhh. Hmm. Anyway the gear will be delivered to buyers of April's edition of CoroCoro. (Japan only, unfortunately?)

that is super overdesigned lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

artsy fartsy posted:

I stopped playing for several months but recently hurt my knee and now I'm stuck indoors and started playing again...it really is a fun game.

Anyway, sometimes I get a prompt to Booyah in the middle of a match, what triggers this? I don't remember seeing this before.

I kind of plataued (can't get further than S+0) so I've switched to motion controls and it's driving me nuts. It's worth it, right?? Mostly playing single player and turf wars right now.

That's a new special they added called the Booyah Bomb. It's like a spirit bomb, it gets charged up by teammates booyah'ing and you get a boost of special meter yourself if you Booyah during it, in exchange for the opposing to briefly see your position

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Far right lower corner

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lazlo Nibble posted:

For whatever reason, Nintendo Versus has a much higher-res version.

https://twitter.com/NintendoVS/status/1106366905798090753

Thank you

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pianist On Strike posted:

Squid jumping with Splashdown and Stealth Jump makes me feel like a kamikaze killing machine, nevermind that I still manage to get splatted half the time, but it's so much fun! My mind was also blown when I realized I could Splashdown at the end of a rail.

Hi thread. I got Splatoon 2 last summer, played for a very short while but couldn't really get into it. Picked it up again a couple weeks ago and now I can't put it down. I went from some level <10 to level 24 in 3 weeks, mostly through turf war. I'm still kinda nervous to try Ranked Battles just because I'm not a super competitive person when it comes to "sportsy"/fast paced stuff, and I wish there was some kind of tutorial mode for Ranked just so I could see the game layouts. I also finally started playing Salmon Run, after a very frustrating start I read up on some strategy and started having more fun and being a bit more successful. I still get overwhelmed somewhat often - like I said, I'm not great at fast-paced stuff plus I suuuuuuck at all other shooter games - but gradual improvement is still fun!

Welp that's my story! Kind of sad that it took me so long to get back into it, I'm sure there will be an active player base for a while but it does feel like it's ticking down to some kind of end, and that's kind of sad. I don't need to be having an existential crisis, I just want to splat things!

This is going to be my first Splatfest, pretty stoked for that. Anything I need to do to prepare? I have the shirt, I know about scrubbing it. It'll basically be turf war on a completely new stage, right? I don't have any irl friends who play other than my 9 year old nephew lol, I'll still be able to do matches with randoms, right?

They don't really highlight it but you can hit uhhh Minus I think, on the Ranked button and it lets you load into the maps for that rotation by yourself and figure out the rules and layout on your own.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

That seems insanely close for actual results

the splatfest results usually prove that their matchmaking algorithms are working better than you'd think I suppose

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mines might be my favorite sub, the tracking properties are awesome

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm really curious if they'll do Pearl Marina for the last splatfest, or do something else. Callie/Marie would be fun again but for most 2 players they wouldn't care much, and similarly Squid Sister v Off the Hook would be a wash.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Snails weren't in 1 so maybe they would put in some Snail acquiring functionality to make them not a finite resource but also, maybe not?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

eddiewalker posted:

Snails were definitely in 1. I’m not crazy, right?

youre right, I'm stoned. It just never mattered because you could spend gold to do the same stuff.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Spring fest will be fun. Team tortoise here.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

Has anyone here prestiged? How long does it take? I feel like I’ve played this game for 100s of hours but I’m still only like level 40.

I'm level 95 and I'm approaching around 500 hours played, but that's also a lot of salmon run and getting 1000% on the single player. So who knows. I will prestige this year though I swear it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

:woomy: