Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

I wonder if Splatoon 2 will finally be my time to Git Gud with the bucket or paintbrush. I wanted to like those shotgun-type weapons in the first game, but I kept going back to the regular submachine gun archetype because I didn't have the patience to be an ambush hunter lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Internet Kraken posted:

The blaster is closer to a shotgun than either the bucket or brush.

I felt like it was more of a grenade launcher. I used it for a while, too. I liked that one that was bedazzled lol

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

The real trick to being good at Splatoon is to game the time zones so that a not-insignificant portion of the Japanese players will be like, 8 year-olds.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Negrostrike posted:

Maybe, but what about bad-faith assumptions about fan art?

But whatever I'm outta here. I don't own a Switch anyway. Y'all have fun now.

I loving dare you to look at the rest of that guy's twitter timeline lol

edit: On second thought it's a pretty even mix of horny and not horny in there

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

I actually prefer cake, but not enough to side with the gremlin, Pearl.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Supercar Gautier posted:

Roasted hot dogs are the main course and roasted marshmallows are the dessert, the entire question is a false dilemma.

Nah, this is one of those "what would you bring with you to a desert island" questions. You gotta pick one or the other, and live with it. That is the terrible curse of the splatfest.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

After some soul-searching, I've realized that all my favorite ice creams are cake-flavored, so I'm turning coat and joining the Gremlin Team.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

You think they'll put up pre-loading this week sometime, or should I just start that download before I go to work on Friday?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

SpaceDrake posted:

It probably won't go live until midnight Friday. I would totally get some money on your Nintendo account now, though, to avoid the possibility of their credit card server getting slammed when the game comes out.

Meanwhile though, before I get to wild octo theories, I do want to ask: was anyone else having a fucker of a time getting the wireless to work smoothly? I've had trouble with it during the Testfire and during Splatfest now, and I have little hope launch will improve it.

When I was wire connected, I could complete matches easily. In wireless mode, however, despite my Switch being docked literally six feet from my router, I was literally incapable of completing a match. Ten matches played, ten disconnects. One all of five seconds from completion, which was infuriating.

Near as I can figure, it must be the wireless radio on the Switch itself. It's weird because my WiiU emphatically does not have the same problem - it plays matches just fine.

If the Switch doesn't use as good a wireless radio that'll be disappointing, as I'd like to laze about the house while I splat.

The one bright spot is that the Switch base dock uses bog standard USB Ethernet adapters, so the one I got for my Wii nearly a decade ago (good god) works like a charm. I just wish the wireless seemed better.

Yeah, I had a lot of communication errors last night. Mario Kart is usually really stable, so I don't know if it's a Switch Wifi problem, or a Splatoon servers problem. I might order an ethernet adapter and cable tomorrow, though. It's a pretty straight shot from my router to my Switch.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Nephzinho posted:

If you are having issues with connectivity set up your switch as a DMZ. For whatever reason some of my routers have had problem with Nintendo online without it.

I'll give that a try, thanks.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Guy Goodbody posted:

apparently if you disconnect during matches too often you get temporarily banned

I love how casual this warning is. "Fix your poo poo, bruh"

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

DalaranJ posted:

Imagine being able to play the game two weeks early, but you can only play against "influencers".

You'd get a ton of bonus money from Judd, because those guys all suck hard at video games.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

LPG Giant posted:

Today I learned that squids (inklings) are different from octopi (octolings).

In Japan, the Octoling soldiers were called Octozons (Takozoness - Tako + Amazoness), because they're all women

The weird monster Octarians are, presumably, the males.

deadly_pudding fucked around with this message at Jul 17, 2017 around 13:39

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I ended up just canceling mine since I can't imagine ever playing mobile and needing voice chat, but I may reconsider if they make a dongle that works for any headset.

If they made some kind of bluetooth dongle/receiver kit that mixes the audio together like this wired one does, I might get that.

As it is, I'll probably just play with one earbud in when goons deign to speak to me

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

I'm starting the download when I wake up at like 4:30 in the morning, so I can play it 14 hours later after I get home from my day. Work will be excruciating

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Pierson posted:

Speaking of which have they said what time it'll be up for purchase/download in the various timezones?

First party titles are usually midnight EST.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I said ocd not autism

I generally wonder if people with tidying issues would hate this game for how messy it is

They might appreciate that getting covered in paint causes damage, and then death, to the player character.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Escobarbarian posted:

I'm assuming it releases on midnight for each specific reason. Japanese players would be fuckin pissed to have to wait until midnight US time, no?

Yeah, I'm almost certain it's by region. It's midnight EST because that's when the date rolls over first for the NA region. For everything else, including third-party titles, Nintendo operates in the Pacific time zone, because that's where their office is.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

If you read the description, it's the Prima guide, and they just hosed up on the picture.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

The Euro splatfest is making me crave potato salad

My guesses for the NA one:
Hamburgers vs Hotdogs again
Already a sponsored splatfest to get that Brand Engagement going
Mustard vs Ketchup, but the picture implies that it's the neon yellow mustard that just tastes like vinegar

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

The issue with learning gyro controls is you have to give yourself some time. It's like when I switched from a 360 controller to a HOTAS in Elite dangerous. It took me like 5 days to re-learn how to do everything.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Friendship ended with [bucket].
[blaster] is my new best friend!

I'm not real excited about the toxic mist grenade that the first blaster comes with, but it's so much better for harassing the enemy team. A one-shot kill on a direct hit works out really well for me. I basically use it to ambush people who are trying to sneak around the side routes, and then I clean back up over the ink trail they brought with them.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Dr. VooDoo posted:

How are people making posts like that? Just very carefully doing pixel art compared to a something on their computer or is there some kind of program that somehow does it

Some of both. I think most people are making them from scratch or by overlaying a source image on the screen.

Somebody on Reddit recently revealed a program they made that simulates inputs from a fightstick or something over USB to "print" things in splatoon using scripted inputs, though, so at least some of them are probably that.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

jokes posted:

Gotta be alive, gotta select an ally (D-pad.. thing) and the cursor needs to be relatively close to that ally. It's honestly pretty finicky, though I don't know why.

I just hold X-dpad(whichever one you wanna jump to) and press A, and that works fine.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Not a Children posted:

PSA: Splatoon 2 uses about 150MB per hour

You wouldn't download 5000 gallons of paint, would you?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Lakbay posted:

This Cold Blooded ability sounds terrible but dammit these shoes match with my biker jacket

Congratulations, you have discovered the Light and Truth of Splatoon, and also Monster Hunter. I'm still waiting for a nice cloth overcoat to show up in gray or blue to match up with my Blueberry Casuals shoes.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Martytoof posted:

motion controls

I've been doing a kinda hybrid style where I use the stick while just navigating the map, keeping my controller in a basically neutral position, and then I use motion when I actually need to aim at something. It took some getting used to.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Fungah! posted:

this. ps thsi game loving rules and its all i can think about at work, on the train, in public, etc

I'm having fun playing Splatoon on the Nintendo Switch. It's fun to drop into peoples' turf war queues on my friends list. I gotta start playing some ranked this week.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

My router started failing after a weekend of heavy splatting. I hope that's a coincidence

I've got a new one already ordered, so I'll just have to deal with having to reboot my router every few hours until Friday.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

dragon enthusiast posted:

Maybe if I could actually access Salmon Run at sane times of day I would play it

There's a 24-hour one from Friday night to Saturday night, I don't know what else to say.

It's like, on the one hand it's a loving weird decision to make the horde mode time sensitive. On the other hand, the way people are howling about it on the internet probably confirms what I assume is Nintendo's fear that constant Salmon Run availability would split the player base and reduce matchmaking performance for Turf War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

weird Asian candy posted:

So I just popped into the game last night, did the tutorial and got thrown immediately into multiplayer with like level 15s, 16s and 20s and got absolutely destroyed. I tried to find a local mode vs AI so I could get some practice but nope, no dice. I then discovered campaign mode. Should I run campaign mode and then jump into multiplayer? I feel like that is the way to go.

Also, what are your opinions on motion control? I did the tutorial with it, wasn't sure about it so switched to non motion controls and it seemed...more difficult.

Motion control is generally regarded as the way to play, because once you get used to it, it's basically a mouse for precision aiming. I had to turn the sensitivity way up, though.

Don't worry about high-level people in Turf War. It's the casual/unranked mode, so it's pretty much a writhing pile of everybody who doesn't feel like playing ranked. Especially right now, when there's a lot of veterans from Splatoon 1. You're just as likely to get ruined by a team of level 1s as you are a team of level 20s.

Campaign will help you get used to the controls, but the enemies are not comparable to human enemies at all. Even the ones that sort of behave like human enemies are way stupider than a real person, and have bad aim.