Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Leaf Lock posted:

I hope you actually aren't being optimistic when it comes to Nintendo. Especially online stuff. If so, I have a trick to share. Locate the nearest mirror, look into it, hold up your hand and raise the middle finger. You have now time traveled to a time when you know the truth about whatever Nintendo business it is you're wondering about. If you're just being sarcastic then carry on. Sarcasm is appropriate in these situations.

I'm glad Splatoon 2 will finally be getting dedicated servers with the advent of paid online.

I actually hope that Nintendo Online fails and that Mario goes to the PS4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Elman posted:

If anything, save upload would allow Nintendo to put those saves through some kind of validation so people won't be able to do blatant stuff like getting unreleased items.

People would find a way to fake the validation. There's next to nothing that can be done to prevent what this system is supposed to prevent, and it's probably not even worth fighting it.

The biggest problem here is that the single-player campaign is basically woven into the multiplayer because of item and weapon unlocks, so your options are:

1) Require online validation for single-player and multiplayer, effectively making Splatoon 2 online-only.
2) Have two separate saves, an offline client-side single-player save and an online server-side multiplayer save, that run checks on each other for validation.

Unless Splatoon 2 is built to change to either of these, you might get one of these in Splatoon 3.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

LPG Giant posted:

B...Blockchain?!

Finally, some good suggestions!

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

kidfresca posted:

who cares about people subjecting themselves to the tedium that is save scumming gear.

There was an early bug where an EXP Ticket in one part of Octo Valley would respawn every time you entered the area, and this was explicitly fixed, despite the fact that the only benefit to levels is getting 1 extra Sea Snail at a time.

Nintendo does not want to give anyone any advantages, even if they don't really matter, and it's apparent that they'll nuke cloud saves over it. It's dumb, sure, but until the present a fix, all we can do is bitch on the internet about it.

But remember, this isn't a Nintendo-exclusive position. The NBA2K games aren't getting cloud saves, and neither is Dead Cells, for some reason. I don't really get what the deal is.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

kidfresca posted:

The explanation is never going to be more complicated than "Nintendo is backwards and weird," but they are spiting 5+ million players to stop the very small amount of players who were too lazy to use the easily available/accessible save editor in the 4 months when that stuff was a free-for-all but also somehow not too lazy to waste all of their free time deleting and restoring their save for more chances at the RNG machine instead of using the system they purposely added to make gear building accessible at the normal rate you play the game.

I agree, but again, companies that are not Nintendo are also doing it, so we need to understand why multiple companies are being "backwards and weird" about it.

Hell, back on PS3, one of the Dragon Age games explicitly barred you from backing up its save data, and the save data couldn't even be moved via system transfer if you got a new console. I don't think anyone knows why that is, even now. Companies are just weird about save data.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

In Training posted:

he did better than luigi, who has arms and could only manage a single assist across 8 sting rays

did you see how much turf he inked

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I encountered what I assumed was a hacker in Mario Kart 8 DX, because they were 200+CC speeding around the track and had a point total of over 44,000. I sent them a friend request, and they accepted! It said they'd only been playing for about 40 hours, and shortly after, they were gone from my friend's list and from my recent players list. MK8DX doesn't have a report system, and I have every reason to believe they were banned.

So silver linings, I guess.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

when will people stop using wireless connections for multiplayer online games

like, the FGC has PSAs every other day that are just a picture of an ethernet cable

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

In Training posted:

Yeah it's just nonsense anecdotal stuff. I'm sure it's better to use the cord. I usually play with an Ethernet unless I'm just doing salmon run and don't want to swap cables around. It's also a little annoying that, let's say I was playing Splatoon portable on wireless, and I slot it into the dock, the switch won't connect to Ethernet unless I fully close Splatoon 2 for some reason. I guess it doesn't want to DC me or something?

It does this with every game. You basically have to put the Switch to sleep and wake it up to have it reestablish what your connection type is.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Blank Construct posted:

All this hacking makes me wonder if a few people are going to get around paying for the online service.

If people can pirate the paid service, then Nintendo might as well just shut the whole thing down and go back to requiring link cables for everything.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

My friends and I once encountered someone who had the Splattershot and could dodge roll like Agent 3. We never saw them again after that match.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Those tweets definitely say October.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

SeANMcBAY posted:

I just got mine.

If you're on a family account, does everyone get one or just the head of the account?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Harrow posted:

I feel like Octopus Day should be 8/8 but what do I know

Blame the Romans for loving that up.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

New Shifty Station sucks, because if you take the middle, you are at a huge advantage, and the only avenue for approach is to go straight for that middle.

There are options for taking it back, but a good blaster/sniper team can basically hold it alone.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

They depend a lot on user reporting through the app, because anti-cheat wasn't great for a while.

I have encountered at least one person who used the dodge roll with a Splattershot as if they were Octo Expansion Agent 3.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Manuel Calavera posted:

God I hope I can get moved in and settled enough to do some of the Splatfest on Saturday. Not expecting to, but I can hope. Gotta fight for the Villains.

Also uhh, since a lot of you in the discord are also in the thread. Figured I should say something. Considered mentioning there, but gently caress it. I read this more than the discord.

I haven't started yet, but I will be soon. I'm gonna start transitioning soon, with the HRT and all that. You're all cool and rad tho, so I figure there won't be any issues. :3:

Congrats! I hope it goes well!

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

In Training posted:

Lol is the Japanese queue for Freelance called Bait

Baito = part-time job

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Play the single player first

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Only the Splatoon World Championship shirt and any of the Halloween event gear. The 7-11 preorder gear, Emperor outfit, and the Spy gear can't be obtained that way. And given that they didn't even bother translating the names of the Spy gear, I doubt we'll be getting any of the exclusive gear in the future.

I still need that Emperor outfit.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This Splatfest map is pretty loving wretched. It's got the same fundamental issue Arowana Mall does in that there's only one real way to get up the hill, and if you're not stupid enough to push past the hill you've got the map locked down.

You can jump on that one flooder next to the center and cause a lot of problems.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh yes, the small platform that moves randomly and is in plain sight of four people just standing on the hill shooting anything that looks their way. Great place to be, especially if one of them has a Blaster :nallears:.

I mean, it worked for me! Friends were on cover fire with missiles and the Bloblobber, and getting people off the center was totally doable.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Remebering the fallen.

god i miss that gear

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I hope tsukkomi wins again.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

This version of Midnight Voltage is inkredible.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Brother Entropy posted:

also make sure to scrub your splatfest tee whenever it gets the 3 sub abilities; the scrubbing is way way cheaper on it than other gear

You can just keep leveling it now, making scrubbing unnecessary unless you really hate the subs you get.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Brother Entropy posted:

there something going on with the servers? i just got a match that was literally me by myself vs 2 dudes, everyone else disconnected before the match started

There are no servers. That was a bunch of people playing on bad WiFi, and one of you that remained was the host.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Isn't that a goddamn Pokemon Gym Leader on the left as well?

It is!

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Splatoon has eSport integration stuff for its tournaments iirc, so it's not a big leap to part of the deal being Microsoft streaming Nintendo stuff through their service. Pokemon's a little more odd, but who knows what's lurking in Sword/Shield for online multiplayer.

Mixer has some really cool stat visualizations integrated into their system, so having on-screen numbers can provide some battle context for viewers.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

come on

call it "Dark Shoals"

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

All ChumSoftware games are good. I hope they release a new Albad Core.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

prom candy posted:

I'm new to this game kinda, what's the best kit for Turf War?

Whatever you like the most. There's no best, because you can be good at splatting or turfing, and either way, you're contributing.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Escobarbarian posted:

Matchmaking just paired me up with two other sploosh-o-matics and a bloblobber against an actual balanced team, jesus christ

what's the problem

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

The Bloop posted:

Just reported some chode chud that named himself pewdiepie

I've reported at least one sub2pewds name.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Smiles posted:

can we do the weapon badge thing but for salmon runners pls

Cosigning this

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

That owns.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

My prestige is being a model employee at Grizzco.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

New Shifty Station owns.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Manuel Calavera posted:

Oh poo poo, Tentacle Grizz is going on this weekend too? drat.

Also I've come out on the discord and elsewhere. But I'll do it here too. I'm Renée yall, and I'm getting started on HRT sometime next week. :3:

It's just all random, sadly. The lucky weapon is the Grizzco Slosher.

Also, grats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I love that almost every time Pearl wins, she raps, but every time she loses, her attitude reverses so hard that it becomes negative hype. She's the worst loser.

Of course, I expect nothing less from the gremlin demon that designed Camp Triggerfish.