Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

FAT BATMAN posted:

I'm very excited to see what they do with the single player music. The single player soundtrack was so eclectic and fun, and had a distinctly different vibe from the multilayer match music.

I actually just recently relistened to the final boss theme and was thinking about this myself. I'm looking forward to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Flow is my favorite shopkeeper so far.

https://twitter.com/vrr_j543n50mr3i/status/883741251672997889

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Futaba Anzu posted:

what brings the dualies down compared to the default gun because it seems almost exactly the same just with a dodge roll. Does it have a shorter range or worse spread?

It has a wider spread. When using them, notice the crosshair is two circles, one for each dualie. When you roll, though, they come together for a short time, making them better than the default gun because you shoot faster.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
You can use the touch screen to draw, so anyone with a stylus that works on a capacitive screen could most likely use one on the Switch.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

NormenKD posted:

I asked this a while ago in the Switch thread, but i'll try again here:
Do you know any Writeups/Videos of the Splatoon 1 Story? I ain't gonna buy a Wii U.

Last time i asked i got "Octarians are bad" and the OP doesn't give much more.
Surely there is more to know, considering how invested everyone is in the Squid Sisters...

or is everyone in here delusional and the game is gonna be hollow an charmless after all?
:negative:

jk, very excited for this game

If you want something to watch, here's a playthrough without commentary I just pulled up on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrD_jsmRpFE
It even shows the Sunken Scrolls which have a bunch of backstory stuff and where a solid chunk of the charm comes from.

If you want something to read, here's a very barebones overview:
Cap'n Cuttlefish is a veteran from a war quite a while back where Inklings and Octarians fought against each other. The Octarians lost, eventually. A little before the start of Splatoon 1 the Great Zapfish, the source of power for Inkopolis, had gone missing and Cap'n Cuttlefish knows it was the Octarians while everyone else doesn't believe him. At the start you're dubbed Agent 3 and basically told not to worry about Agents 1 and 2. Over the course of the campaign you get threats from the big bad who eventually reveals himself to be DJ Octavio, as well as hear little tidbits from Agents 1 and 2. Around the last chapter Cap'n Cuttlefish disappears and Agents 1 and 2 step in. By the last boss fight it's revealed they're Callie and Marie (though you've almost certainly figured out it's them before that) and you rescue Cap'n Cuttlefish, imprisoning DJ Octavio.

It's a pretty simple story, but the stuff that makes it really good isn't apparent in a quick overview like that. The levels are fun to play, the boss fights are interesting and unique, there's a good chunk of lore to be found in the Sunken Scrolls if you want, and the writing is charming. I definitely recommend watching a playthrough, even if it's not the one I linked above.

Onean fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 14, 2017

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Yeah, I couldn't find a good one with a quick search, unfortunately.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
The gyro controls are the only thing that makes it playable for me. I can't stand playing a shooter with a controller, it's too slow for me since I'm used to M+KB. Gyro fixes that so well.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
That's exactly it's intended use, so there's nothing wrong with that. It's a more useful use case in Ranked, but has its uses in Turf War.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
The Great Turf War was over 100 years ago and Cap'n Cuttlefish served during it. I think dying of old age isn't going to be a concern anytime soon for Callie or Marie.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Escobarbarian posted:

Reviews are up.

PISS

Did people not watch the Direct or something? 4-player queuing is the only group queue for Splatfest, while the Team Ranked mode let's you queue as groups of 2 or 4. They didn't say anything about regular Turf War, is it about that? In Splatoon 1 you could queue/Join Friend in Turf War with pretty much any numbers from 2-8 I thought. Did they change that?

I'm avoiding reviews because I'm almost certainly picking this up no matter what and am trying to avoid spoilers for now.

Edit:

Gimbal lock posted:

Who cares if the translation is accurate or not, so long as the writing is good and fun. Long live the death of the author!

Meh, author intent matters and I think ignoring it is troublesome.

That said, translation and localization has a huge amount of flexibility. The Nintendo localization team has had some pretty great success recently with Kid Icarus, Splatoon 1 and more that I'm willing to give them more than one Splatfest.

Onean fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 18, 2017

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Futaba Anzu posted:

so what's the diff between main abilities and sub abilities? do sub abilities not count until it hits some threshold or do they just provide a smaller percentage of the full thing?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Smaller percentage.

Specifically, three sub abilities equaled one main ability in Splatoon 1, without counting diminishing returns. I'd imagine it's the same for 2.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Ah! Was that for 1 or 2?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
And if you're wondering, they've promised to support Splatoon 2 for twice as long as 1. Two years of Splatfests and one year of free content updates (new gear, weapons and maps, possibly new Ranked modes as well). Balance and bug fixing continued for Splatoon 1 up until the end of last year, so If expect the same with 2.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I like them both together and separately! Though, I like mayo slightly more, so I guess that's what I'd choose if these are the NA choices.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
A small amount of ketchup with scrambled eggs or an omelette is really good too, though.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Jeez. I haven't tried Salmon run yet, but everything else is so good. Even the rhythm mini-game! It's so much better in 2 than the stopper simple one that was in 1. The next time you're chilling in the Plaza, check it out. Give Octarmaments a try. On Hard. :getin:

(I've given up on getting silver on it, just in case anyone thought I was good or anything.)

Onean fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 21, 2017

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

What's the discord!?

Probably the general Nintengoons server.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
A little tip for the Dualies. After you dodge, you can't move for a second except to dodge again and you get an increased firing rate, tighter aim and farther range. You'll start moving again as soon as you're able if you keep trying and as soon as you do you lose the bonuses from the dodge. If you don't move, however, you'll keep the bonuses until you either start moving or run out of ink. Additionally, while you can only dodge twice in quick succession, if you space out your dodges you can keep doing them. Give it a try in the campaign canyon or Sheldon's testing arena, it feels pretty good when you get it down.

Basically, the best way to fight someone with the Dualies is only move by dodging. You'll always have the great damage output and be harder to hit. It uses a lot of ink though, so quick skirmishes and the Ink Saver Main ability are going to be very useful.

Onean fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jul 22, 2017

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

deep web creep posted:

Earlier this evening after a victory I got a +1000pt "Freshness Bonus" after a match. I assume this is just the game having recognized my style as being extremely on point -- but on the off chance I'm wrong, what was it and how do you trigger it?

alarumklok posted:

You get a freshness bonus when you switch from dry to raw, raw to fresh, etc

that win streak counter in the arrow when you're in queue

Double post, but this is specifically triggered by using the same weapon. If you change weapons it resets. On the other hand, immediately after getting a freshness bonus is a great time to change weapons and try something new!

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Calihan posted:

How often do the clothing stores update the inventory? Once a day?

Every time the maps change, so every 2 hours.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Could it be the kind of hotel wifi that expects a browser-based login?

I'm in my hotel's WiFi at work. It doesn't need a password, but it does need you to accept terms. It should automatically pop up the browser for it, or to put in the password. If it doesn't, it might just be an issue with the hotel's WiFi settings.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Unlucky7 posted:

So you could use it, play a few matches, then quit for a while without using up the bonus? That would be preferable than a straight timer.

Yup, that's exactly how they work.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Calihan posted:

That can't be right. I just booted the game up and the clothing stores are selling the same thing from 14 or so hours ago.

Huh. People were saying they cycle with the maps. I haven't checked.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Ranked is single queue, yes. League is where you queue for team Ranked. It shouldn't take long at all to get B-, if it's like Splatoon 1. There is also a Friends option in the lobby, but I don't have any playing at the moment so I can't check exactly what options are available there.

Edit: Having a dedicated one person queue for Ranked is a good idea when teams are this small. Coordination is strong in any competitive game, and having that advantage is huge and unfun for the larger percentage of people who don't. Gating League behind a rank is questionable since you're forming teams yourself though. It should probably be just level 10 as well.

Onean fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jul 22, 2017

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Empress Brosephine posted:

How about a new hub city, different art style (which all those games do), different environments??or atleast fix the problems the first game has?

I feel it's the opposite. Of Splatoon 2 was on PS4 it would get hammered for being more of the same , bad UI, log load times and very shallow. But it gets the Nintendo Luxury of quirkiness so they aren't forced into fixing problems that multiplat devs are.

The hub is fine. It serves a purpose that dictates what they can do. You can view players from your previous games, buy the gear they have and see the posts they make, which is a pretty cool feature and fits the flavor for the game. All of the shops and modes have to be available so why not throw them into the plaza as well so there's a little function added, and the easier to access the better so that requires a open space. If you want immediate access to most of the shops and all of the game modes, press X and you can teleport to any that aren't accessed directly in the square (Crusty Sean's or Murch).

How is the UI bad? It gets things across with hardly any obfuscation or distraction and isn't cumbersome to navigate at all.

The only times I've had an issues with load times is when the Switch has to connect to the internet at work. The WiFi at work automatically kicks connections off after 24 hours and forces devices to redo the connection and accept the ToS, which is handled pretty well by Splatoon with an extended loading screen that takes just as long as it would through the Switch home screen, and it even pops up the browser window without forcing you to reload the game from the start. Everything else loads in 2-15 seconds which is just as fast or significantly faster than any other modern game I've played or seen played on console or most PCs. Finding enough players can take a little long at 3am, but that's because it's trying to stay in your region, and that's preferable to getting matches with a bunch of people on the other side of the planet, and that's not actually a loading time issue anyways. I've actually had very little issue with internet stuff in general, certainly far less than I did with Splatoon 1.

As for very shallow, I think you're in a very tiny minority there. There's plenty of depth and strategy if you're looking to better yourself. It's a pretty subjective thing though, so that's largely you and your preferences in games, and that's fine.

Onean fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 22, 2017

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Empress Brosephine posted:

Why does every Nintendo game thread have to be a hugbox? There's problems with this game that people should know to inform them before their purchase. Multiple of which are what I posted including UI and loads.

E; the hub is fine I just think they could've designed another e that didn't look exactly the same as Splatoon 1.

And the UI doesnt let you jump into anything without a load; why can't I configure gear and buy gear without loading a stupid anime cutscene? Just give me a menu. Why can't I go right into ranked or player match right from the hub instead of having to load something else?

The "stupid anime cutscene" is literally one or two lines of dialog that takes half a second, and if you use L and R in the shops you only load once, which takes literally 2 seconds. They're there because the developers wanted to add some personality and have shopkeepers, which fits with the theme and feel they're going for with the whole game. They made a decision to add that charm at a cost of a couple seconds of inconvenience. An acceptable trade in my eyes, in fact preferable for me over what I would find a boring list of menu items. Its subjective though, and you'd rather have the simpler, quicker and more convenient menus.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I really wish the "forced 50% winrate" misconception would die. You have two options, win or lose. If there's a system in place that attempts to place similarly skilled people together, of course you're going to get half wins and half losses. It's a sign the matchmaker is doing it's job and placing you where you need to be.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

DalaranJ posted:

Okay so what the heck is going on with the XP from turf war. I know I won't care about this once I hit 10 but it seems to be:

Time Bonus from ranked even though you can't get eliminated in Turf War: 300 XP
Cover at least 400 ground: 500 XP
Win Bonus "+ 1000": 600 XP

Why do none of these numbers make sense?

Time bonus is to reward you for staying for the whole match and to speed up leveling. Then you can get 300 more points for covering 300 units of ground, or 500 for covering 500. You can then get 600 points when you win. Finally, the +1000 is your freshness bonus, worth 1000 XP, which is gained by reaching certain milestones regarding your current win-streak with your equipped weapon. This is viewed in the area just above the maps while you're waiting for people to join the lobby.

Edit: Oh, I guess the 1000 is maybe a clothing thing?

Calihan posted:

I wouldn't go that far but I will say the matchmaking is horrible. Putting lv 1s in games against lv 10+ is just stupid for all involved.

It does feel sometimes that after a few wins the game gives you a bunch of muppets to babysit but its likely coincidence. Honesty, I think saying that Splatoon 2 matchmaking is smart enough to even work out how and when to do that would be giving it too much credit.

In Turf War you get put into a group of 10 players based on the matchmaker, which takes a few games to get your place, and then the game randomly assigns teams from that group of people, randomly reassigning teams every match so you don't always have the same people in both teams. People leave and join, which means the matchmaking score is going to move around a bit, and sometimes you'll get unlucky and be paired with the people on the lower end of the average while the other team is on the higher end.

Ranked has a much tighter bind on ranking. It also prefers to keep teams together I believe, unless I'm misremembering from Splatoon 1.

Onean fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 22, 2017

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Losing streaks suck, yeah, but they happen. So do winning streaks, which are more fun but sick with us less. Try requeueing, or maybe take a break. Sometimes you're just having an off day, and getting frustrated is only going to make you play worse. I used to play a lot of Blizzard's Heroes of the Storm, and am keenly aware of how much a losing streak blows. :smith:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Zaphod42 posted:

You can do premade ranked though I think? But then I think you need 4 people? Or is that just splatfest?

Splatfest is 4 people only for premade. Ranked is single queue only, though I think you can join your friends if they're playing? If you can it won't guarantee you'll be on the same team. League is teams of either 2 (where two teams are then placed against two other teams) or 4 (where teams are placed against other teams of 4).

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Lakbay posted:

Does the Tower move faster if everyone is on it like in other Payload modes in every other competitive shooter?

It did in 1, and I'm pretty sure they said it does in 2 as well.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You don't have to fully charge it like with a Charger. Wind it up a little, release, repeat.

You don't have to fully charge a Charger, either. It's usually better to do so, but there's situations where a usual charge is useful too. Particularly when spreading ink.

Finally beat the single player. Really liked the last boss, though I would have liked a little more added over Splatoon 1. The last phase was sweet! Needed more stuff like that! If you haven't gone back to fight it a second time, you definitely should.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Enos Shenk posted:

I'm really not digging single player this time around. Why bother to upgrade weapons if that fuckbreath Sheldon will just force me to use something lovely that I hate like a charger or a bucket :argh:

I would enjoy it a fuckton more if the Sheldon nonsense was optional for extra orange balls or something.

"Herp here's a bucket, have fun with octosnipers and platforming while under fire from outside your range"

And is it just me or do the octolings sometimes seem to cheat a bit? Sometimes I'll have one practically surrounded in ink and they squid (octo?) up and zip right through my ink without flopping about like I do.

You're only forced to use a weapon in a stage until you beat it. The stages are tailored to the weapon, too, so while the bucket has a short range there's tons of walls for you to stand behind and splat enemies. I upgraded my ink, unlocked bombs and bumped the starting gun to level 2 (since level 1 is so slow) by the time I'd beaten the campaign.

As for the octolings, they are less affected by ink than you are, but not by a lot. They're pretty easy to take down if you're aggressive and keep moving, while keeping in mind you're armor situation. From no armor pickups you can take one lethal hit, after which you'll be slowed down for a few seconds until your armor regenerates. Each armor pickup adds another hit, up to two. While down to your last hit you should pull back and wait until your armor comes back, but with armor you can be pretty aggressive.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Zaphod42 posted:

For beating the campaign sure, but within the context of re-beating every level over and over with other weapons to unlock them?

You don't get tickets until you've already maxed out all your weapon upgrades.

I'm not saying the single player is a waste of time brah relax.

Uh, what? There's tickets in the levels you can get by finding them, no unlocks needed. Are there more tickets after you've upgraded weapons?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Finally played some Salmon Run, and it's so good. The ω-3 music for it is also amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ-a6l27xmo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5XWIRjhvEg

Edit: They're also pretty fun in Ika Radio 2!

Onean fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 25, 2017

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

my new dog posted:

m-m-m-motion controls??? not a fan

"Motion controls" implies a lot more than you'd think. It's gyro-aiming, and the gyros used in the Joycons are leagues better than those used in the Wiimotes. For most people it takes an hour or two to adjust, which the campaign is perfect for, and feels way more natural and allows for much finer aiming. You should absolutely try it out for at least the campaign or five or six matches, but if it doesn't click for you then it'll be better to switch to stick controls. You'll be at a disadvantage against a similarly skilled opponent using gyro-aiming, but it'll be better than struggling to hit them.

Edit: drat, that was a lot of mistakes jammed in there.

Onean fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jul 29, 2017

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

my new dog posted:

thanks for the info! i dont even think about the gyro aiming in botw being in the way so if it feels similar it wont be a problem

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly how it feels, only maybe a little smoother.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I don't remember if this color combo was in Splatoon 1, but it's become my favorite in Splatoon 2 by far.

I've also fallen in love with the default Dualies and the Tentatek Launcher for Ranked, though I need to get better at using the Splat Balloons instead of just ignoring them. I just unlocked the Dualie Squelchers and I'm looking forward to giving them a try with the Point Sensor sub, but the quick test I did makes me think I might not like them as much.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
https://twitter.com/Kollerss/status/891501292694065152

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm still disappointed that the ink colours aren't randomized and you only get the set colours.

To say nothing of the many different kinds of color blindness (which is hopefully served for most by the option in the menu), the readability of ink colors is incredibly important in Splatoon 2. There's no way a random colors approach would work as reliably as purposefully chosen color sets.

Zelder posted:

You can, can't you? I thought that was what the color lock option did

I believe that sets it to a predetermined set of two colors and doesn't lock it to any set you choose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

The Deleter posted:

It's bizzare how bad the Stingray is, especially when the Salmonid boss that uses it can aim on a dime whereas you have no ability to do so. The turn speed needs to come way up before it gets any better.

I don't know if it's been in a patch yet, but they did say they were going to improve the Stingray's ability to aim while firing and little while ago. I forget where I saw that though...