Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Do any of my pulpy brothers and sisters have some solid foundational advice for newcomers to Splatoon and splatfests? I just started playing a couple weeks ago and I don't want to disgrace my new family of pulp-drinkers.

It's just turf war, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

homeless snail posted:

Also the real secret of the splatfest is that you can scrub abilities off your team shirt very cheaply, so splatfest week is a good time to grind ability chunks.

Ohh, so that's how you get those. I thought it was just Salmon Run rewards. Thanks!

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'm still getting my rear end royally beaten though.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Finally, I'm a part of something greater than myself.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
It's not a perfect system, I'm told, but it's the only one we have.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I heard that if you move forward and shift into squid form right before you throw the bomb, it pretty much just skids along the floor and blows up nearly instantly. Haven't tried it myself yet because I'm afraid to touch the inkbrushes.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Pulp won despite all the no-pulp goofballs getting to play and learn the shifty station map in low-pressure mirror matches!!!

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I bought way too many pieces of clothes I will never, ever wear. Am I correct in thinking there's no way to junk stuff?

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I've been exclusively solo queuing Salmon Run and I hover around 40 points into Profreshional. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Oddly enough, I'm usually the guy with the most deaths and least eggs collected.

EDIT: Guess that just confirms I ain't no true Profreshional.

Orb Crabmelt fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 2, 2018

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I lost two turf war matches back-to-back last night, both by one tenth of a percentage point. Felt absolutely awful.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Serenade posted:

Historically, how have conflicts between decadent, petite bourgeoisie and exploited minorities worked out? Pretty well right? Right? :ohdear:

I mean, America is still chugging along, right?

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Today was a bad day.

I need help. Are there any good written guides or maybe YouTube videos that aren't insufferable? Also, I've been trying to use the Undercover Brella less because it feels like a crutch, but I'm just dying constantly.

At least there's Salmon Run to look forward to tomorrow.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Kaethela posted:

Seconding the suggestion to experiment with weapons until you find what works for you. You look to be using mostly short-range stuff, maybe try some longer range weapons like the gals or squelchers or whatnot. Being able to outrange people in combat instead of getting all up in their face is a very different experience.

I guess that makes sense. Every time I test out a weapon, it surprises the hell out of me how short the range is on anything other than chargers and Splattershot Pro.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Maybe I'll actually learn how to aim if I use a more uh "deliberate" style weapon. Fingers crossed...

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I'm the dummy who just posted the ten game losing streak, so take any advice I give with a grain of salt, but with rollers, I like to roll until I get low on ink, then I swim to backtrack to reload, and then I roll in either a different direction or over a wide enough patch of terrain I've missed. If the enemy is near, I retreat to somewhere with cover and ink, or I try to stick with allies with guns.

Ink brushes seem to be for ambushing and pushing deep into enemy territory, as someone mentioned. If someone catches you coming head on, you're screwed because your ink trail is narrow and easily cut off. Rollers are slower, but the width of the trail and the range of your flicks make fighting and fleeing comparatively easier.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Squidbagging after kills is rude, but squidbagging to celebrate a successful shift in Salmon Run loving rules.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

In Training posted:

Maybe give the 52/96 gal a shot, they're similar to splattershot Pro with higher damage per shot and have some fun sub/special kits.

Tried this out and, wow, it is a huge difference being able to actually reach the things you're shooting at. It almost feels like a different game. Actually got #1 in both inked floor and kills for the first time in a while, too. I'm also really liking the sensor sub a lot more than I thought I would. Maybe I'm doing better because I can tell where I'm s'posed to be aiming instead of my eyes just kinda glazing over all the ink. Hell, even when I get stuffed real bad, I still feel like I help if I reveal two or three enemy locations to my team.

Here's hoping this trend continues and it's not just how I heard the matchmaking pairs people on losing streaks against other losers and vice versa.

This is a really good game.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Wait, power eggs actually do something? I thought they were just to keep a rough estimate of how much poo poo you killed.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Salmon Run is super fun and I love it. Completely smashing your egg quota or seeing your team get wiped in a ludicrous way are both highly entertaining.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Lazlo Nibble posted:

This is a shame because the one time I saw it was hilarious.
https://twitter.com/lazlo_nibble/status/1017563764177059840

lol

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

SeANMcBAY posted:

I really appreciate that the game now puts you at the Grizzco entrance after exiting Salmon Run.

From someone who's only been playing since, like, a month before the Octo Expansion dropped, this change is godlike.

Now if only you could see 1. if you already own a piece of gear before ordering it through Murch and 2. see what the standard primary ability of SplatNet gear is before ordering it. Sometimes I'll see someone wearing shoes or whatever with a cool primary, but I'll forget if I have it too and when I pop into the equipment to check and pop back out, they're gone from the Square!

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
And I am also a coward who dreads the next non-broken Salmon Run!

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
That's a good link, thank you!

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

VibrantPareidolia posted:

If you don't want to go in the equip mode and reload the square, just check what gear you have at Murch. I usually go into the ability chunk option in case I get a twitchy finger and accidentally reroll/scrub something.

I completely forgot you could see your gear through that menu, thanks for reminding me. I'm dumb.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Having severe GrizzCo weapon withdrawals. My vastly inflated rank is making Salmon Run a complete nightmare now. I am a sinner, and this is my punishment.

also I don't like the current weapon set

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
It feels bad

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Congrats on your fresh and functional footwear!

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
CongraXulations :woomy:

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
As you can see a couple posts above, there's going to be a (temporary) new map with a gimmick tied to opening doors by shooting tentacles, although I assume you can figure it out in recon mode.

If you haven't already, you should download the app. It lets you see your wins and losses for the last fifty rounds, which is a fun little way to depress yourself if you suck like I do. The app also lets you order clothing with abilities that don't typically come with those clothes.

Murch will also scrub your splatfest t-shirt for only 2000 coins, making this a good time to farm ability chunks.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
All the stages look great in general. Wish my lizard brain would take it in occasionally, but gotta ink gotta ink gotta ink. Same with nearly all the music.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I had zero squid mirror matches around 4 a.m. EST. I feel like I was doing better than when I was on Team Pulp.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Escobarbarian posted:

(as per Fetus in the discord) lead designer said they designed the Octoling girls to be sexy even though they’re like 14

That is pretty creepy.

GO TEAM SQUID! :woomy:

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
That makes more sense. More graceful and reserved or whatever.

still, go team squid

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Octos are goths, Inklings is jocks.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I know the stingray is supposed to be really useful, but I never manage to do anything with it. Is it because I only play Turf War and it only shines in objective based modes?

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
The concept of having a rank that goes down when I do poorly makes me nervous. Also, I still can't aim for poo poo.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I do pretty well in Salmon Run, actually. I hover between 100/200 Profreshional rank. Haven't finished Octo Canyon, but I've done most of the expansion, all with motion controls on.

I just feel like I die really quickly in any firefight, but as someone pointed out earlier, I've been using mostly close range weapons. I just think gimmicky stuff like rollers and brellas are fun though, until I get gunned down like a rabid dogfish.

Maybe I'll just commit myself to getting drunk this weekend and learning how to play clam blitz or whatever with splatchargers and range blasters. Splat Zones sounds like a pretty fun mode, honestly.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
come play turf war, milord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Think of it as a sign of protest against the injustice that is Clam Blitz.