Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

Wait. What the heck happened to the first duck?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Ok time to sound like a crazy but... there's no hacks for this game out right?

Had a match where a carbon roller was going super super fast somehow and he seemed to know where everyone on my team was at any and all times. Like at one point on starfish mainstage I was running across the grate over the water and he just happened to break away and ambush me despite the fact I did nothing to give myself away. Would shoot him with my minigun and just nothing could stop him. It was really REALLY suspect.

My guess is that they just had really bad lag, I was playing a round last night where I was baiting a sniper (popping in and out of ink to try to get past them, which in retrospect was the wrong way to get past them, but gently caress it) and like two seconds after I'd popped back down into into ink with the sniper beam pointed where I had been I was splatted.

After that I took the long way around, climbed up the perch, and splatted him. And then realized that we had a team kill, so I went over to their spawn and spawncamped him for the last 30 seconds. I hate snipers in FPSes because it turns the game into unfun laser beam dodging and if you're using a sniper rifle I will do what I can to gently caress up your day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

Is there a Splatoon gangtag? I haven't touched Overwatch in like six months because the community became incredibly toxic and unfun.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

Oh man I just played a turf war with three rollers on the other team, two of them just kept barreling around together and covering insane amounts of turf. I might have to give the roller a try, I just love my Splattershot so much

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

So today is the first time I've gotten Moray Towers in a Turf Wars rotation and I'm garbage at it. My team always loses and I score roughly 200 points less on it than any other maps.

What am I not getting about Moray Towers? I rush in to the center, tag up, and go back and forth trying to keep "our" sections inked. Then about a minute in there's three of the enemy team in the center, I die, and by the time I respawn one of the enemy team's rollers is halfway up to our spawn and the rest of the match is my team trying to gain back ground and failing.

I usually use the N-Zap or Splattershot Plus, is weapon choice the issue? Should I be using a roller or brush for Moray?

[Edit: the most annoying part is that I don't think I'm terrible at the game, I usually get 1st/2nd for points. I just don't get Moray Towers]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at Jul 30, 2017 around 13:21

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

Lakbay posted:

Use the recon feature and check out the map without the stress, there's a lot of sneaky grind rail and wall climb paths

Totally forgot recon mode is a thing, I'll check it out and get a better feel for the map, hopefully that helps.

pokeyman posted:

I stay the gently caress out of the middle on moray in turf war, there’s nothing to gain. Squirt a lil ink then go around and ink some enemy territory, circle back around later.

I guess that’s general turf war advice but yeah the middle of moray is a death trap, no point to it if there’s no tower/rainmaker to snag.

Okay, that makes sense. I do need to get better at leaving myself escape routes/anticipating where enemies will come from, so I guess that the linear nature and height of Moray really preys on my weaknesses.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

Ugh, I had a terrible session of Turf Wars yesterday evening. Pretty much everyone was using the loving Aerospray and there kept on being at least one person who was level 20 or above on the other team, including one guy who I swear was loving psychic because he kept knowing where I was when I tried to escape in squid mode even though I have a shirt with Ninja Squid.

...In retrospect he probably had an gun item with thermal ink, which I just now remembered is a thing.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at Aug 3, 2017 around 16:06

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

JackDarko posted:

No I'm just really good and using the Aerospray is about mobility. I was practicing for the Splatfest. Did you ever play against GarbageBoy?

I did not, I can't remember the player's name specifically but I checked through my battles and none of them were GarbageBoy.

And yeah, the Aerospray by its lonesome isn't a great weapon, but when you have two people with it from or the high ground coordinating their attacks it's loving deadly. That really seemed to be the issue last night (and in general) with Turf Wars--when you have two people on a team moving and attacking together it usually spells out a curbstomp.

I'll try buddying up with someone from spawn and seeing if I have better luck tonight... and see if I can get a Thermal Ink clothing item because it seems like that's a crazy useful skill to have. I'm not sure I'd give up Ninja Squid for it, though, Ninja Squid is just too goddamn handy for hiding from and sneaking up on rollers/brushes/buckets.

[Edit: There's a down jacket with thermal ink on Splatnet right now ]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at Aug 3, 2017 around 16:17

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

They really hosed up but not having it be ketchup v mustard in the USA because I had to pick a second tier condiment instead of the best condiment.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

Oh man there's some Yeezys with Quick Super Jump in the store right now

Yessss, now all I need is a pair of shutter shades and my transformation into Squid Kayne will be complete (I already have the Salmon-Pink Polo).

[Edit: oh wait you can't change your squid's skin color? this is bullshit nevermind, found it. Hell yes.]

[Edit 2: wait how the gently caress are shutter shades not a thing, guess it's regular sunglasses for SquidYe]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at Aug 3, 2017 around 17:26

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

Cicadas! posted:

I need a button to skip off the hook.

A button, mashed repeatedly.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

The Bloop posted:

Actually, matchmaking and ranking is good because whether you are a C+ player or an S+ player (or an A- player like me) you get to have pretty good matches most of the time.

C- or C, however, is either a blowout for the other team or a long and arduous struggle for your team. Seriously. I've only had one or two matches were the teams actually seemed evenly matched.

I know, I know, if you're stuck in C- you deserve to be there. Only having a few hours to play video games a day makes for some slow progress.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

The Bloop posted:

If your Win/Loss is more important than just having fun playing (which is fine, you do you) and you are complaining that some particular weapon is overpowered, then for squid's sake use that weapon and GET GUD

But what if you dislike that weapon?

I mean I like the buckets just fine but let's say Nintendo drops the ball and makes the Chargers super OP and then every game turns into 2Fort sniper battles?

gently caress that, Nintendo should make balance changes to weapons make sure that the meta doesn't get stale.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

Bill Barber posted:

"ask me about my worthless white noise posting in games"

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

Oh my God I love the new gun

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

enojy posted:

The fog is way too dense in Salmon Run, the Sploosh-o-Matic is hilariously useless, and there's still way too much "ironic" furry art bullshit in the plaza

Otherwise this game still rules pretty hard

Edit: on second thought, maybe the curling bombs save the new gun. But maybe not.

Edit 2: do you have to wear your splatfest shirt to contribute to it? I never bothered decking it out after having habitually scrubbed it so many times.

The Splash-O-Matic is very much my poo poo. Only way it could be better would be with a Tenta Missiles special (but then it would be OP)

[Edit: yeah this is the gun for me for sure. Does enough damage to gently caress up a roller that's caught by surprise, but has some range and it practically sips ink. Throw in curling bombs for movement/escape options and splashdown as a gently caress you to the brushes and this is the perfect gun for me ]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at Aug 5, 2017 around 02:52

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

TFRazorsaw posted:

who honestly chose ketchup because they prefer ketchup and not because it's Marina's side?

My condiment rankings are hot sauce > mustard > ketchup > mayo. Mayo has its uses (tuna salad (sparingly) and grilled cheese) but ketchup + fries is one of the greatest food combinations on Earth (even if it doesn't have many other applications). Mustard is great, I eat it with pretty much any kind of sandwich, you can dip chicken nuggets in honey mustard, and there's no better partner to a pretzel than some stone ground mustard.

Hot sauce, however, is the best condiment because it can be put on nearly anything and taste great. Any sort of Mexican dish gets a healthy dosing of chipotle hot sauce, Frank's goes great with chicken and (some) soups and siracha is fantastic for when you want something to taste like, um, siracha (and not much else).

But since my first and second condiment choices weren't options, I went with my third.

(Also you might think I forgot relish. I did not. If you want pickles on your burger or hot dog, put a loving pickle on it, don't bother with loving relish. And if you do add a pickle, it better be a dill one. Sweet pickles are the worst and you're terrible for liking them)

asecondduck fucked around with this message at Aug 5, 2017 around 03:56

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

Oh I do not like Shifty Station much at all. I mean, we still won, but I don't like it

[Edit: team Mayo needs to wake up because I'm tired of playing against team Ketchup]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at Aug 5, 2017 around 10:44

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

I kinda hate how the curling bomb launcher is "Press R with 3 seconds left to win this round of Turf War".

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

Bill Barber posted:

If those payout totals are correct it's a little disappointing from the standpoint that it feels like the actual results of the battles don't matter much. The key to winning Splatfest is just playing a bunch, doesn't matter if you're winning or not.

I'm ok with that because it encourages players to play instead of just resting on their laurels waiting for the other team to win the Splattershot for them

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

raditts posted:

It seems that worse bandwidth works in your favor. It felt like my shots were landing a lot more when I was playing out of town on a poo poo connection than when I got back home.

It depends on the weapon, brushes and chargers definitely benefit. I just played a round with a charger that definitely had a high ping, though if they had artificially increased their ping (usually done by running torrents in a networked PC) I don't know.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

Overbite posted:

They're goinna have to extend the splatfest by a day so I can get out of champion. 2 points per loss is gonna take forever

I'm grinding out this right now myself and annoyed that I keep getting matched against my fellow ketchupians because my W/L vs Mayocres is 80%

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

stop losing

All the loving Aidens chose Ketchup

[Edit: I now understand why you can't drop out of a lobby because I would bail every time I see someone with extraneous accents in their name]

[Edit: to clarify, I'm talking about people with names like ".:Stàlkér:.", having a name like that is pretty much shorthand for "What do you mean, I'm not playing CoD deathmatch?"]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at Aug 5, 2017 around 18:37

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

Got Ketchup King, that's enough Splatoon for today. Ended up taking me 46 fights to get there, with a final ketchup power of 1695.8. Good enough.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

The thing is that I don't think there's supposed to be a clear favorite, they just chose poorly for the first two Splatfests.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

I mean, Ketchup power doesn't really matter, it's just the average of your points from the Splatfest. If you lost a lot, it's gonna be lower than someone that won most of their matches.

I'm just happy that I got a natural score of 1201 in one game, that's my highest one yet (we lost the game though).

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

this doesn't really sound right but i don't have any evidence to refute it

anecdotally i'll say most of my games i hover around 1900 for a win so i'd think if that's the case that's where my power would be at

The ones you lost, though, were probably around 900-1100, so if you lose even one game that'll immediately lower your power.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

yeah but what i'm saying is my power was over 2100 when i very very rarely ever score 1100+ before win bonuses, and i did lose some games

Oh. I have no idea then, the Ketchup power seemed to scale up and down with wins and losses and ended up roughly matching up with my average round score so I assumed that's how it worked.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

I'm gonna regret making this joke buuuut

I thought the inklings and octolings didn't have bones?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

I don't see the Splatfest results in my app, are the NA ones in yet?

[Edit: ah, they're in-game. Kinda surprised, as the few matches I actually played against Mayo they got rolled. I guess there was a bunch of super good, super dedicated Mayo players in the 1700+ power ranks?]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at Aug 6, 2017 around 11:10

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

My issues with teammates and ranked mode is weapon choice. C ranks have too many players using Aerosprays and chargers.

I wish that there was a little tooltip or something that popped up with recommending brushes/rollers/buckets for ranked, I don't think a lot of users coming from turf war realize that the weapons that get them to the top of their scoreboard in Turf War are garbage in Payload and CTF.

[Edit: that reminds me, I like game modes that are in here, but I wonder if there's any chance of Nintendo adding any Capture Point modes? I guess the maps and team sizes in Splatoon wouldn't work for 5CP or A/B->C maps like TF2 has but I feel like the Turf War strats people learn would actually carry over pretty nicely to a 3CP map]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at Aug 6, 2017 around 11:23

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

Lakbay posted:

Splat Zones was a Capture Point mode in S1 but they reduced a bunch of maps to 1 point so a lot of them are just KotH now

Ah, so that's why "Zones" is plural, the first time I played I actually swam around looking for another point before I realized it was KotH.

Did they discuss why they changed it? Were multiple capture points too complicated for players? I greatly prefer multiple capture points because KotH is generally just chaos and weapon spam in the middle of the map but with multiple objectives there's motivation to move around trying to distract/pick off the ememy, etc.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

a cock shaped fruit posted:

I think I will strive to get out of C- just the once, then likely not play ranked again until I have drastically improved. I feel like every jot of improvement I manage to achieve is simply inundated by the hole I have dug myself, with every other player appears to be a mouth breathing, ink huffing retard. It's just hard to quantify my team mates 'skill level', they honestly appear to be literal children who cant grasp the mehcanics

The majority of goons here will not-so-subtly imply that you're part of the problem (or just straight up come out and tell you to git gud) but I don't think they realize how bad it is in C rank because they started playing the game immediately when it came out with all the other players who had played Splatoon 1 and leapt out of C almost immediately, now we're stuck down here with all the twelve year olds.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

my new dog posted:

i suck at this game. or is my sucking down to being only matched with like players at lvl 20+ while im the only sub lvl 10 with no abilities or skills. what i mean is i have no idea what im doing and it upsets me

Play the single player mode if you haven't already, it's designed to teach you the skills you need and show you the weapon types so you can figure out what you're best at.

If you've already done that, are you going into Sheldon's shop and testing out all the weapons he has? Don't underestimate how the secondary weapons and specials effect the base weapon, I don't like the Splattershot Jr. much because ink armor doesn't gel with my play style but the regular Splattershot comes with splashdown, which works better for me.

Of course I didn't get a weapon that really clicked with me until the Sploosh-o-Matic came out, but that's because I'm a dummy that likes getting in opponents faces and isn't great at ammo management.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at Aug 6, 2017 around 11:52

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Oh I know I need to 'git gut'. I know why I am here, bad choice of weapons and terrible aim. But now I am improving, and mechanically getting better - my team mates are still loving terrible. I'm no idiot, I've seen my fair share of 'MATCH MAKING SUCKS I DON'T DESERVE TO BE HERE' but right now I genuinely feel like I've dug myself too deep, and am paying for it deeply.

Edit: Just finished a rainmaker game where 2 members of my team stood back to snipe the entire game. the entire game.

I'm not saying that you and I don't need improvement (we do) but when two of the other players on your team have aerosprays and are making sure that one specific area on our turf stays inked instead of working towards the objective there's only so much we can do to win the match for our team.

Also there's a lot of new players in C rank who simply don't know the game modes so you're automatically at a disadvantage. Three of our team members will paint the shortest route to the rainmaker and get there ASAP but then the noob will go paint spawn and whattaya know, the other team gets the rainmaker and we immediately have to go defensive. Meanwhile, noob has painted their corner and heads right into the path of the rainmaker and dies and you're 3v4 with the rainmaker halfway to the goal and then the brush holder on the other team pops up behind me and I throw my controller across the room.

Also disconnects are still rampant in C mode but I don't complain about them much because they effect the other team as much as mine.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at Aug 6, 2017 around 12:08

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

Basically if there was some way to evaluate personal performance instead of W/L to determine rank in the C levels people like me would actually stand a reasonable chance of ranking out into B but as it stands we're reliant on teammates knowing what they're doing and that sucks.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

Oh hey, turns out bitching about stuff on the Something Awful internet comedy forums actually helps!

[Edit: that last round we actually had a disconnect on my team but I grabbed us a victory by despirately inking as much turf as possible in the last 30 seconds as my teammates held down the tower]

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Also gently caress Moray Towers

An opinion I don't think anyone will disagree with.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

The Bloop posted:

Maybe the final splatfest will be Squid Sisters vs Off the Hook rather than white v black

I mean, it's bad enough that Marina is the only Octoling to be prominently featured in the game and the reason why is "she's one of the good ones"

And then they went and made her black, like goddamn Nintendo.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

I've only seen seabagging in the wild once and it was a very, very good charger user. Which makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

LethalGeek posted:

Go talk to the folks who "got out" of the furry thing and ask them what kind of unacceptable poo poo they saw first hand. (hint: they're all pedos)

citation needed

(spoilers: you don't have one)

Don't get me wrong, I don't *get* furries, and I don't like their art making GBS threads up Inkopolis, but saying that they're posting art in a video game to try to prey on children is ridiculous.

«2 »