Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Originally picked this game up alongside BOTW shortly after new years. I always wanted to try Splatoon 1 on Wii U but never got around to actually getting it. After trying a few matches online and absolutely hating the motion controls I put it down until like four days ago or so when I decided to give it another shot.

Holy poo poo this game is so good. I still suck at aiming but after a combination of a bit of single player and salmon run something kinda clicked and while I'm not good by any means things actually make sense now. I'm still really reliant on the right stick for horizontal aiming but it makes sense because I've fallen in love with the brush and using it to punish people for making bad decisions.

Also the single player is absolutely stunning. I've only gotten too the third world but it's managed to consistently impress me. I wasn't expecting a sonic the hedgehog rail grinding level but I now require more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I'm starting to play this game again after managing to tear myself away from all the great games that've come out recently, and I'd just like to say whatever stage that is with the grate floor catwalks is incredibly unfun to play compared to the other two in rotation right now.

Also I wish I had more dualies to play around with but I'm only level 8 right now and that's a problem that'll solve itself in time I guess.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Is there a way to see in game what your w/l is or are people just keeping track manually? I'm interested in what mine is but haven't kept track at all

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Jonas Albrecht posted:

You can do it through the Nintendo app.

Oh, nice. Glad I installed that the other day.

Went 15/9 and ended at egg champion with like 1500 power. Not too terrible for my first one, I guess.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

mem posted:

Hey i just picked up this game, and i have a question. Are motion controls unusable when laying on your back? I press y to reset the camera but it keeps it looking at the sky so I have to hold the switch very awkwardly to use them. It seems to work fine in any other position.

I had the same issue and just gave up after a while of trying to get it to work, the console seems to have a certain threshold for the angle it allows you to hold it at and if you bypass that the vertical reset just...stops working for some reason.

I just prop up some pillows and sit up in bed to play now. It’s dumb, but whatever. shrug:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Hi I would like to report a bug: sometimes there’s music playing in matches besides endolphin surge? Hopefully this gets fixed soon, it’s really ruining my experience

In other news I hit level 10 yesterday and have been trying ranked. I’ve done tower defense and rainmaker so far, they’re really fun! Is there any general advice for getting better at this game besides working on good positioning/aiming? I’m currently running with these abilities since they seem like they should work nice but otherwise have no idea what I’m doing.

https://twitter.com/cythrin/status/973309988687945729?s=21

E: I guess as a start I should unlock all the slots on whatever outfit I like the most and worry about rerolling or scrubbing or whatever later?

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 13, 2018

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

SeANMcBAY posted:

Just keep experimenting with different weapon sets and learn how maps flow in the different modes. Pay attention to what your teammates and the enemy are doing and move accordingly.

Don’t worry much about abilities on clothes at this point. Focus on looking fresh.:whatup:

In Training posted:

The abilities grind is bananas and not something you really need to worry about unless you want to spend hours grinding chunks for a 2% boost to special rate gain or whatever. The main abilities give you more boosts than the sub abilities so yeah for now, just find a outfit you think looks cool and keep trying out weapons to see what you like, since eventually the abilities you may want to optimize are gonna be different for different weapons.

Thanks! For a while I thought filling out all the freebie slots would do something in the long run so I ran each piece of clothing until they were unlocked but apparently it doesn’t matter so I gave up. Also I kind of want to replicate whatever I had going on during the splatfest, my special gauge seemed to fill insanely quickly and I was shooting rockets within 10 seconds of the round opening sometimes. It might have been a byproduct of those nice wide maps though

I’m in love with the dualies atm. Chargers were cool at first but I got tired of being a big dumb target for anyone who can vaguely aim in my direction, and brushes were fun to quickly get places where nobody was and ink an area by myself, but dualies are all the fun of brushes with the stopping power of chargers if I roll and it’s working great so far. Everything else that isn’t basically an assault rifle feels really gimmicky, for lack of a better word.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

How do you manage discord and switch audio at the same time?

I had to figure this out once to play monster hunter 4U on 3ds with a friend who for whatever reason only wanted to use mumble.

I had my headset, which was a single short cord (2ish ft) that connected into a second similar length cord that split into mic/audio. The mic end went into my pc, while the audio cord went into a y splitter I bought off amazon. A standard male-to-male aux cord (like the stuff you use to connect to a car stereo or something) went into the other female socket of the y splitter, and I plugged the remaining male end into my pc.

It's a bit silly, but it worked and gave me adjustable volume from both sources through one pair of headphones to boot. If you already have a headset with a mic, this way is also way cheaper since y splitters are like $6 on Amazon vs however much that headset costs

E: I looked up the hori one mentioned earlier and it's literally just a $30 headset with a standard y splitter, if you have a headset already just buy a y splitter for like 6 bucks and do the above into your pc/phone unless you really want a squid themed headset I guess

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Got up to royalty, went 19-24 and ended at like 1800.

It would have been way more of a slog and I probably would have given up had I not discovered the sploosh o matic because holy gently caress is this thing fun. I think I’m an aerospray convert.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

https://twitter.com/cythrin/status/982825010707378177?s=21

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

What was the penalty to swim speed previously for ninja squid? I’m having trouble understanding what the change is, exactly.

Like, I don’t really min max but say I had clothing with ninja squid and a hat/shoes with swim speed up mains. Do I need swim speed subs in addition to that or whatever now?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

https://twitter.com/icarly2k18/status/992079502942580741?s=21

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Had this happen the other night. This game was a struggle to get used to at first but after things started to click it's a blast to play

https://twitter.com/Cythrin/status/993675373043953665

I actually had to stitch two clips together on my computer for this lol

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 8, 2018

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Jizz Festival posted:

If you ever see someone wearing the octobowler shirt (a pink bowling shirt) with ninja squid on it, it's a great shirt to farm swim speed up chunks with.

I’ll keep an eye out, but what makes it better at farming chunks exactly? I have swim speed up mains on my hat/shoes already (although iirc I had some other random shoes on at the time of that clip) so I’m not sure how much more I really need.

Also this is unrelated but I was wishing for an aerospray with missiles for the longest time, so I was really excited when I hit level 18 a few days ago and unlocked the alt sploosh! And then immediately crushed when I saw it has beacons for some reason instead of a real sub. :geno:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I never actually watched ninja turtles when I was younger so I have no real nostalgia for any of them, but I went with Raph last time because his artwork looked radder and I’m going to have to go with Don this time for the same reason. Dude looks like he grew up on the streets and is ready to loving gut someone.

Plus purple ink owns. :colbert:

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 08:32 on May 9, 2018

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I basically always have ninja squid on now so whenever splatfest comes around I feel like rock lee taking off his weights

It feels like cheating, I’m fast as gently caress

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Ended like ten points away from Donnie royalty, which is frustrating as all hell. Should have started playing sooner, I guess.

Ended up going 19-9 with a power of 2k (!!!) which is like 200-300 points higher than I usually do. Probably because Mikey was absolutely awful. Like, five of those losses are from trying to play at 2am yesterday and being incredibly tired while also never having seen the shifty station before and trying to run a gimmick missile setup with a weapon I wasn’t used to.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Do aerosprays share an animation with another weapon or are they just not included here for whatever reason?

Also that animation finna turn me into a dualies main, drat :stwoon:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

LPG Giant posted:

I report squidbagging :smugbert:

snitches get stitches bitch

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

In Training posted:

Now that it's been nearly a full year since release, I'm curious how people's stats are shaking out. What is everyone's worst map? I don't mean least favorite, I mean if you were to pull up the app and check W/L rates, which one is at the bottom? Mine is currently Arrowana Mall, which is cool because 3/4 of the 4 modes are >50% win rates but I have literally never won a single game of Clam Blitz on it.

As a sploosh main I would just like to say: gently caress kelp dome

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Do you need amiibo to take selfies like that or am I missing something ingame?

If so do any amiibo work or do I have to actually buy a splatoon one

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

https://twitter.com/sankaku_1235/status/998017017000030208?s=19

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Since I’ve been using the sploosh baaaasically since unlocking it, I thought I’d go on a binge and try out all the various weapons I have access to now. For reference, I’m only level 20 so I don’t have quite everything unlocked yet but I figured I’d share my experiences

- Dualies still own but I need to get better at actually rolling around. I tend to panic and forget about it in the heat of the moment.
- The rest of the regular shooty guns are just as effective and boring as ever. The only one that catches my interest is the orange nzap since it gets missiles with an actual bomb unlike the alt sploosh
- I really want to like buckets but something about them just doesn’t click with me. I dunno why
- Blasters are way more fun than expected, the rapid blaster especially seems right up my alley
- The splat brella was a surprise favorite, I was expecting the weapon to play more passively but you can go hella hard with this thing. It uses way, way more ink than I’m used to though

Overall I think I’m gonna have fun with some of these, although I’ll miss being able to ink like 1200p with zero effort every game

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 05:45 on May 28, 2018

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Dr. Fetus posted:

All of the Rapid Blasters (Pro versions included) are so getting nerfed next patch. The weapons themselves are really strong, and they all build up special way too fast for blasters.

Dehumanize yourself and face to chip damage :unsmigghh:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I don’t have cash for the expansion atm so I decided to finish the regular single player instead. Finished all the stages in the last area and figured what the hell, the only thing I’d ever spent eggs on was getting curling bombs and upgrading my tank because it felt like every other stage in the last few worlds forced you to use a specific weapon, so I went ahead and splurged on upgrading the dualies for the final fight. Took a good chunk of the 2k eggs I’d been sitting on, but I figured I wasn’t going to use them for anything else given it was the final boss and all.

Then I started the level and got stuck with the hero shot instead. The level 1 hero shot, mind you, that I never bothered upgrading because why the gently caress would I when I could upgrade my tank and just use other weapons that didn’t need to be upgraded to be usable instead. :negative:

I beat it after backing out to grind a few hundred eggs on the second boss so I could upgrade it and not have a fire rate that caused me physical pain, but ugh.

Also please tell me I’m not the only person who kept trying to use gyro controls during the credits. Aiming up with the stick was such a foreign concept to me that I forgot like three times.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I loaded up my game and literally everyone on the street was an octoling. Is the dlc that easy to complete?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Zoran posted:

You can unlock every single thing but one piece of headgear without ever beating anything, so

SeANMcBAY posted:

The DLC isn’t easy at all but lets you skip stages. I’m sure some people skipped every stage just so they could be an octoling in multiplayer right away.

That's fair. I've been avoiding playing online until I can be an octoling myself so at least it shouldn't take too long even if I get stuck at some point.

Can't wait to get home and give it a go

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

The vitrol between Pearl and Marina during the splatfest announcement was loving intense. :stare:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Orange juice with pulp is the most unnecessary poo poo. Like just eat a orange at that point.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I’ve only been playing this game since January but this is the first splatfest where I feel like I have an emotional stake in this. You pulp drinkers are loving weirdos and I can’t wait to send you underground with all the other fishy freaks where you belong. :commissar:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Sunny D actually has less sugar per serving than Minute Maid

waaaay more sodium tho lol

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I wanted to beat the expansion before the splatfest and just managed to get through the end last night. It was pretty challenging at times but mainly it was fun to see them just go loving nuts with level design and throw in all sorts of cool stuff. They really didn’t pull any punches with some of those levels but I managed to get through all the ones I attempted without skipping. Including the time that I got confused looking for a new line and accidentally ended up fighting a beefed up version of the toaster boss. That was a bit rough until I realized you don’t have to one-cycle the boss and can go up as many times as you want each phase to deal a bit of damage or take out the adds.

The final gauntlet owned. I don’t think I’m going to be able to take the true final boss anytime soon considering how badly I got killed in the regular agent 3 fight (although to be fair most of my deaths were not understanding how to dodge the stinger), but I’m glad it exists and I’ll have to go back and try attempting the rest of the stages sometime. The regular final boss took a surprising number of tries as well, I didn’t realize you basically have to route the area and do it and the last two groups of bombs basically require you to get the route correct on the first try or fail. Still, overall, a fantastic single player experience and way better than the base game hero mode.

Played a round of turf to celebrate and won easily. Octos are great, I dunno if I can ever go back now

https://twitter.com/cythrin/status/1010212464871366663?s=21

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I forgot to play before work today so I've been spending my breaks playing in my car tethered to my phone. I get off a whopping half hour before it ends unfortunately, but at least I managed to make it hallway up defender I guess.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

juche avocado posted:

Relatedly, I'm a bit weirded out by how this splatfest topic functioned as a proxy for "Are you probably somewhere on the autism spectrum?" (because textural sensitivity tends to go hand in hand w/ the spectrum)

I've read some hot takes in my time on this gay earth but "if you don't like pulp in orange juice you're probably autistic" is one of the spiciest takes I've ever seen

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

juche avocado posted:

^^^^ holy heck that's gross

there's a real correlation w/ sensitivity to texture! I don't like pulp in my oj and I'm not casting aspersions :(

Ahhh, my bad. I get what you mean now, I just misread what you said. Sorry! :shobon:

E:

Waffleman_ posted:

Also, sometimes it feels like people take the Splatfest trashtalk a bit far (not necessarily talking here, just what I've seen as a whole). There's fun and games, and then there's just insulting strangers over trivial preferences. We're all gettin' urchins, let's just chill.

Yeah this, at first glance I thought it was just someone taking trash talk in a weird direction and overreacted

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Harrow posted:

Yeah I liked the one match-the-shape level I found, that was clever. And the couple of levels I've done that were like crazy enemy gauntlets were fun, too.

Right now any time it's like a "don't you dare miss a single balloon" or "find all these out-of-the-way boxes in 2 minutes, nerd" I'm like pre-angry before I even load into the level, but there are some pretty fun levels here

Are you trying to finish every level your first go around or something? I never touched any of those.

Like you I also thought Octo Canyon was fairly challenging. I was worried about the dlc being too difficult to get through after reading initial impressions here but you can absolutely beat the dlc without touching most of the actual bullshit levels. Just make a beeline for junctions and if you find one that has a thang just pick whichever path to it has the cheapest (and therefore easiest) levels. I ignored most of the balloon ones because my aim sucks, but for the ones I did do using the squelcher if available makes them way more tolerable and forgiving with its longer range.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Smiles posted:

this is me as ur buying a charger at sheldons shop:

:woomy:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Expect My Mom posted:

call me basic but the salmon run right now is the best just due to having All Guns, No Gimmicks

No you're completely right, it's fantastic.

Speaking of salmon run though, how exactly do goldie rounds work? I made it to profreshional a little while back for the first time and haven't touched the mode too much sense then, but any of those rounds my gameplan has always just kinda been "follow people around and stumble into a win somehow" which doesn't really work in the complete chaos that profreshional brings to the table.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Khezu? Or am I missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Guy Goodbody posted:

The height of the stream when you open a valve is dependent on how close it is to the goldie. The higher the stream, the closer you are.

Dr. Fetus posted:

You're playing a game of hot and cold. When you open the gusher, check its height. If it's low, it means the correct gusher is far away. If it's at medium height, than it means you're close. The right gusher will have the Goldie.

The best strategy for those types of waves? Open the farthest gusher first. Salmonids will pour out of the incorrect gushers, and if they're pouring out of gushers near the basket, that will make it really hard to deliver eggs. Salmonids will not stop spawning until the correct gusher is found, so don't waste too much time killing them.

Thanks. Hopefully next time I run into it I won’t be such a complete hindrance.